Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Saturday, April 27, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LAYOFF 11 FIREFIGHTERS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 8:39am
"The question to be asked is if public safety is being cut because of a lack of money or the city's desire to put more money in the "rainy day fund"."

Ashkicker,
    City Hall has already raided this fund several years ago to cover payroll. I believe the current RAINY DAY FUND is at 15%.
Revenues and population of Middletown continue to decline while city hall, fire and police continue to get an increase in salaries and benifits. At some point in time we need to trim the fat and cut the waste, fix our streets and bring some jobs into this community.
Dean View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 12:20pm
Middletown's problems are bloated overhead and incompetent city leaders, and council members that don't have a clue associated with oversight. Lethal combination which killed the city. Toxic.
ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2014 at 8:44am
"increase in salaries and benefits"?

Fire fighters haven't seen a raise in years and probably will agree to a 0% pay increase for the next few years. Which benefits have increased? Please enlighten me. I would like to know what benefits I have been missing out on.
ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2014 at 9:23am
Okay VV, here we go ---

I believe current numbers are as follows -

First platoon has 24 personnel
   1 Deputy Chief
   1 Captain
   4 Lieutenants
   18 Fire Fighters

Second Platoon has 23 personnel
   1 Deputy Chief
   1 Captain
   3 Lieutenants
   18 Fire Fighters

Third Platoon has 24 personnel
   1 Deputy Chief
   1 Captain
   3 Lieutenants
   19 Fire Fighters

An engine company consists of three personnel, a Captain or Lieutenant, a driver and a fire fighter. A medic consists of two fire fighters.

Captain and Lieutenants are responsible for the daily activities at the station, managing personnel and paperwork. One Captain is responsible for the Haz-mat program, one is in charge of safety equipment, one does all the reporting to the state and the fourth is a 40 hour employee in charge of EMS and training.

Officers never go out and "drive around". Leaving an engine company with two personnel puts that company out of service. The officer's job on an engine company is to go in the structure and extinguish the fire.

Officers are a promoted position that lead the company on a daily basis. Could we remove Lieutenants and still function? Yes. Can you drive your car with three good tires and one flat tire? Yes, but it wouldn't drive as well. Same principle.

The engine goes with the medic whenever dispatch sends a medic unit that could encounter a patient that could require more care than what two medic can administer. Probably 85-90% of those runs turn out not to need the additional personnel and the engine company is released. Better to have the personnel on the scene and not have to wait a couple of minutes when a patient really needs the additional care. Management has been working on ways to reduce the number of times engine companies respond. If the medic on the engine company rides with the medic unit, the engine company is out of service. A medic call could last up to an hour and a half and that would but an engine company out of service way too long. No state mandate.

Any more questions?

Ashkicker
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2014 at 11:40am
The problem is that Middletown has lost a lot of good paying jobs and with delusional city leaders spending time,energy and funds on creating some fantasy land artsy educational center downtown, instead of trying to get some decent jobs to locate here we have no chance until we change direction.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2014 at 7:31pm
Ok ashkicker.....

First Platoon:

6 management positions (Deputy Chief-Captain-Lieutenants) to 18 firefighters- Ratio of worker to management- 3:1- doable

Second Platoon:

5 Managers to 18 workers-Similar to First Platoon

Third Platoon:

5 Bosses and 19 workers. Very doable from a management standpoint I would imagine.

Overall, it looks like you have a 3:1/4:1 ratio. Surely we can look at a minimum of 5:1 on manpower, can't we?

"Captain and Lieutenants are responsible for the daily activities at the station, managing personnel and paperwork"

Again something like a 3:1/ 4:1 count. Should be very doable for a manager to oversee the activities of 3 or 4 people. By your numbers, I still say the department is top heavy.

"Officers are a promoted position that lead the company on a daily basis"

Speaking of promotions.....awfully hard to justify promotions at this time, I would imagine, when the department isn't given enough money to retain the lower echelon. Would send a bad message to retain that practice until the department gets a tad bit more healthy financially, right?

"Officers are a promoted position that lead the company on a daily basis. Could we remove Lieutenants and still function? Yes. Can you drive your car with three good tires and one flat tire? Yes, but it wouldn't drive as well. Same principle."

Oh, I think some give management way too much importance to the overall operation. Could probably lose some manager positions, spread out the duties of the management positions eliminated and still not overload the remaining people. Even if they are overloaded, they can join the rest of us in a daily dose of too much to handle. Many do it everyday.

Working shorthanded and, at the same time, given more to do is a very common practice in the private industry sector nowadays. It is happening right now in my work group. We lost a position due to the death of a technician, but that position was not replaced......but the work has increased since a new boss has taken over. Didn't use to be so but since companies have found that overloading the few rather than hiring the correct number of workers to accomodate the workload is beneficial to them financially. Most don't care if it burns out the worker bees in quick fashion. Never did. The new working environment (since the 80's) doesn't consider the stress level of the average Joe worker. If ya can't hack it, get out and we'll find another mule to carry the load mentality by most company's upper echelon. Just glad I have 4 more years and not starting out like the young people are now. I feel sorry for them. They will never know what it felt like, long ago, to be appreciated once in a while....or even acknowledged on the job. Enough rambling.

"Any more questions?" Nope. Thank you for your time.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2014 at 5:30am

Updated: 11:52 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 7, 2014 | Posted: 7:00 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 7, 2014

Fire union to vote next week on revised proposal

Proposal union gave to city had ‘significant changes,’ says Local 336 president.

By Michael D. Pitman

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN —

The city and its fire union have yet to reach a deal that would save 11 firefighter jobs by Aug. 16, but union members could vote on a proposal next week.

The city issued 11 letters last month to the junior members of the Middletown Division of Fire — those with seven years of experience and less — notifying them that they would be laid off on Aug. 16. In all, 15 positions would be cut from the department — four of them through attrition.

Officials with International Association of Fire Fighters Local 336 have been trying to negotiate with the city to avoid those layoffs. The two sides met on July 31, and then again on Monday and Wednesday.

Local 336 President Greg Justice said the framework of a proposal presented to city officials had “significant changes,” and union membership will vote on those changes over three days next week.

“We met on Wednesday (with city officials), and the framework changed,” said Justice, a captain with the city fire department. “We decided to kick it to the membership for them to vote on it.”

City Manager Doug Adkins said Thursday that there is no update on talks with the union, writing in an email: “Still negotiating.”

Adkins previously told City Council at a July 29 retreat that the union had considered “some brand new concepts” and are still working toward a compromise. He wouldn’t provide any insight on what a potential compromise could involve, but Justice told the Journal-News they were considering incorporating part-time firefighters. The city department is entirely full-time right now.

Cutting the firefighter positions and closing Station 84 on Tytus Avenue could save about $1 million in the city’s budget. Station 84. which services the northern part of the city, was built in the 1950s and needs a number of significant repairs, among which is the roof, fire Chief Steve Botts said.

Closing the station but keeping the utilities active would save the city about $20,000 annually, according to Botts. Disconnecting the utilities and mothballing the station would double that savings, he said.

ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2014 at 5:39am
Vivian,

Still waiting for your info on the increased salaries and benefits that fire fighters have gotten lately. I don't mind your posting about fire fighters, good or bad, as long as it's accurate.

Ashkicker
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2014 at 10:13am
Ash: We appreciate your in put because, like in the past with Judy, they tell us what they want us to hear. So if you can "keep 'em honest" that's a good thing. We try to print things on this forum so the people know what's going on. We just want honest feedback. Council doesn't like it much when we print what's REALLY going on but oh well. Then they need to clean up there act. IMO
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2014 at 10:03am

Ashkicker
I have not researched the yearly salary records of City Hall, Police or the Fire Department. Records show that the Fire and Police Budgets continue to increase while the revenues and population of
Middletown continue to decline.

From 2000 to 2014, the police budget has increased $2.6 million or 28 percent, while the fire budget has gone from $7 million to $9 million, or 30 percent.

ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2014 at 4:29pm
Vivian,

So you blogged to everyone on this site that fire fighters are getting raises and increased benefits without:

A) Research to verify your statements or

B) You intentionally tried to malign fire fighters or

C) You don't care about honesty

Do I seem upset? You betcha! We have enough people that don't like us with the true facts and figures without bloggers adding fuel to the fire with untrue statements.

With that being said, I accept your apology even before you offer it.

Ashkicker
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2014 at 6:44pm
Well Ashkicker

Are you telling me that f
rom 2000 to 2014, the police budget has increased $2.6 million or 28 percent, while the fire budget has gone from $7 million to $9 million, or 30 percent is not a true statement?

Hmmm...at the last council meeting you requested $60,000 for a truck.
However you never said a word on this blog as City Hall gave away $50,000 of upgrades on the Bank One deal...
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2014 at 8:20pm
I would think that increases to Police and Fire depts. Health insurance costs are a lot of whats driving the costs up. Don't know that for sure but since every one else's has skyrocketed.

ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2014 at 11:17pm
Vivian,

Let me reread my posts.......................

Yep, just as I thought, I never once mentioned an increase in the fire departments budget. That was your information. Did it increase? If you say so I'll believe you.

On the other hand, YOU mentioned increased salaries and benefits. Once more I'll ask you a direct question. What increased salary and benefit did Middletown fire fighters receive?

"Hmmm...at the last council meeting you requested $60,000 for a truck." You must think I'm Chief Botts. I can guarantee you that I am not Chief Botts. With that being said, I didn't request $60,000. The department did. Please explain how the department's request for money for a vehicle translates into increased salaries and benefits.

Have fire fighters received a pay raise in those 14 years? Yes we did. However, fire fighters haven't had a raise in approximately 6 years and may not get one in the next couple of years. Of course our insurance premiums HAVE increased and fire fighters agreed to remove it from our contract and give the city more control over the cost.

Step increases? Yes, less senior fire fighters have received step increases once they meet city mandated standards. Most members of the department are at the top step of our pay range and did not get any step increase.

Because a budget increases doesn't mean fire fighters are reaping the benefits. It could have been due to medical supplies, fuel supplies, safety gear, uniforms, etc. going up in price.

Ashkicker
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2014 at 5:47am
Ashkicker

How many Firemen did we employ in 2000?
How many Firemen did we employ in 2014?

ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2014 at 9:39am
Vivian,

How does the amount of fire fighters employed have anything to do with individual salaries and benefits?

One more time I'll give this a try.

What increased salaries and benefits were you referring to in your original post? Don't cloud the issue with requests for new (used) vehicles, amount of fire fighters employed or overall budgets.

You know, something like more vacation days (didn't happen), 2% raise (didn't happen) or bonuses for saving lives (again, didn't happen).

One of the things that did happen was the Chief limited when personnel could use their compensatory time off. That will save the city money. Too be perfectly honest, the Union opposes the Chief's plan and have fought it. It is a change in department policy that is decades old.

Bottom line, I would like specific monetary values and benefits we have received.

Ashkicker
AKBobby View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AKBobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2014 at 2:31pm
increased budgets to police and fire doesn't mean they received increases in salaries or benefits. Not at all. Neither police or fire hasn't received raises in years. It could be equipment or increased costs in other things. But for some to say cops and firemen have gotten all these big raises that's 100% incorrect
AK - What is going on with that?
ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2014 at 9:31am
Viv baby..........................still waiting.

Ashkicker
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2014 at 11:26am
Ashkicker
No need to be disrespectful and call me BABY…
I do not have 30 days to completely research all the Fire Departments records from 2000-2014 nor do I intend to do so.
So I guess I will have to agree that the Firefighters have not had a raise for years…Do you feel better now?

Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2014 at 11:27am
It seems that Vivian's question is a simple one.

In the year 2000 how many people were employed?
In the year 2014 how many people are employed?
Between 2000 and 2014 how many people received step increases?
Between 2000 and 2014 what was the dollar amount annually of step increases that people received?

It also seems that modest cost of living increases and fringe benefits are really not the issue. An examination of the cost of step increases is needed.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2014 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Perplexed Perplexed wrote:

It seems that Vivian's question is a simple one.

In the year 2000 how many people were employed?
In the year 2014 how many people are employed?
Between 2000 and 2014 how many people received step increases?
Between 2000 and 2014 what was the dollar amount annually of step increases that people received?

It also seems that modest cost of living increases and fringe benefits are really not the issue. An examination of the cost of step increases is needed.

Let's talk about step increases.

Not sure about this next comment, but I have heard that.....

Step increases are a luxury enjoyed only by the public sector. Pay increases are earned as one completes steps of knowledge and demonstrates competency within a given pay grade. This could produce several occasions for a raise within a given period of time. (Is this correct as I'm not 100% sure?- thanks for the clarification in advance)

This is quite different than the private sector job setup. The private sector allows for just one shot at a raise as a result of a performance appraisal as the supporting document. It is once a year. The raise is based on the employee's accomplishments during the year and those acomplishments are categorized from a very important contribution to "what you did didn't turn an eye" and non-important. Sometimes, it is being in the right place at the right time that gets you noticed. There are no "step increases" within a pay grade. If a raise is given, it is usually in the range of .5% to an average of 2-3% per year depending on the profits and financial health of the company. Sometimes no one gets a raise. The 2-3% doesn't quite keep up with the cost of living and all of us workers are way behind on the "keeping up with inflation" scale. Have been behind for decades.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2014 at 6:13pm
Vivian,

Disrespectful?????

A term of endearment vs. posting misinformation about a group of individuals? I’ll take the term of endearment.

Happy? Absolutely! All I was looking for was truthful information.

Perplexed,

I don’t know the exact number of employees but I will research that and the number of employees getting step increases. I will post that information here.

In the meantime, here is the breakdown for step increases for the last six years:

Step A - $45,071.56      (Entry level salary)
Step B - $47,194.12      $2122.56 or a 4.7% increase
Step C - $49,409.43      $2215.31 or a 4.7% increase
Step D - $52,999.37      $3589.94 or a 7.3% increase
Step E - $57,453.75      $4454.38 or a 8.4% increase
Step F – $60,152.60      $2698.85 or a 4.7% increase

To advance to Step B the employee must have “passed a written test, to be prepared by the Chief of the Division of Fire, regarding familiarity with the City of Middletown, specifically streets and landmarks.”

To advance to Step C the employee must have “received state certification as a paramedic.” (This is a moot requirement because ALL employees must be state certified paramedics before their first day on the job.)

There is no performance requirement to advance to Step D.

To advance to Step E the employee must have “completed training and received Division of Fire certification for operation of pumper trucks.”

To advance to Step F the employee must have “completed training and received Division of Fire certification for operation of an aerial apparatus.”

From the Collective Bargaining Agreement:

"SALARY ADJUSTMENT The salary of each employee shall be reviewed annually or otherwise as herein provided by the Fire Chief for the purpose of determining which employee shall be entitled to a step increase. All of his personnel records, performance and length of service shall be considered in making recommendations with major emphasis placed on the evaluation of services rendered. On the recommendation of the Fire Chief, the City Manager may advance an employee at the time of such review until the maximum step has been reached."

I have known at least one employee that never advanced past Step D and at least one employee that had their step increase delayed until they passed the required performance level.

Before you ask, I have no idea why the disparity in percentages through the step program.

The city has not increased the ranks of fire fighters in several years. (The anomaly in 2012 was due to fire fighters being laid off and then rehired at a later date.) Fire fighters have been hired to replace retiring fire fighters. With that being said, the city saves money with the step program.

Here’s how the city saves money:

In a new hire’s first year, the city saves $15,081.04, the difference between Step A (entry level) and Step F (top paid retiree). In the second year, the city saves $12,958.48, the difference between Step B and Step F. In the third year, the city saves $10,743.17, the difference between Step C and Step F. In the fourth year, the city saves $7153.23, the difference between Step D and Step F. In the fifth and final year of savings, the city saves $2698.85, the difference between Step E and Step F.

Whenever an employee is getting a step increase, it is because they replaced a top paid fire fighter. That translates to a direct savings of $48,634.77 over five years. You have to include benefit costs also, i.e. – pension contribution, workers comp, etc. which pushes the total savings over $60,000. I have worked in other industry (non-union) where everybody gets paid the same to do the same job. If that practice where used in the fire fighting profession, the city would never see that $60k+ savings.

Any other questions?

Ashkicker
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2014 at 8:21pm
Ashkicker -

Thank you for your prompt and detailed response.

The real problem with the City of Middletown is that senior staff have been wasteful and misguided in the funding of so many plans and lavish projects, not public safety abuses.

Maintenance of the public infrastructure plus the provision of public safety services has taken a backseat to 'pseudo downtown' giveaways, destruction and planned disinvestment in older neighborhoods, etc.

There is a middle ground when it comes to police and fire. Compromise is attainable. I value the work of your department.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 6:09am

Step A - $45,071.56      (Entry level salary)
Step B - $47,194.12      $2122.56 or a 4.7% increase
Step C - $49,409.43      $2215.31 or a 4.7% increase
Step D - $52,999.37      $3589.94 or a 7.3% increase
Step E - $57,453.75      $4454.38 or a 8.4% increase
Step F – $60,152.60      $2698.85 or a 4.7% increase

These percentages are decent. Starting at 45 thou ain't too shabby either. Higher than most workers in private industry start out. 60 grand for a topped out salary? Not bad either. Might achieve that as a technician in R&D, in a large corporation like P&G or International Paper after 25 years if you attained the top raise percentage each year. As mentioned earlier, normally looking at .5 to 2-3% each year on raises now when, in earlier times, one could see 3% as a minimum raise. Never heard of a 7.3% or an 8.4% increase for worker bees in any company. This percentage level is withheld for manager levels.

Question:

Do fire department people pay into their retirements, similar to employee contributions into their IRA in private industry, while working? Do they have payroll deductions for dental and medical premiums each pay period, again, like private industry? IE, do they share the cost with the city for benefit premiums like most companies require nowadays?

Thanks in advance for your response.
ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 6:28am
Pension

Fire fighters paid 10% into the pension system for years. That went up to 10.75% and has increased to 11.5% as of July of this year.

Insurance

Employees pay for insurance bi-weekly. That amount is adjusted annually to reflect the overall cost to the city. Contract language can be seen at:

http://www.serb.ohio.gov/sections/research/WEB_CONTRACTS/11-MED-10-1622.pdf

Ashkicker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic