Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, May 9, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LAYOFF 11 FIREFIGHTERS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 12:29am
I wonder if the new City Manager will 'creatively' deal with declining tax revenues the way that he cavalierly wasted millions in Federal tax dollars for community development? What is his strategy for economic renewal of Middletown, not to mention the reclamation of blighted, older neighborhoods? What is the Dougmeister's grand plan? Where does he plan to find the capital for his projects? Show us the bacon, Doug.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2014 at 6:05pm
Dean: was it the chief
ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2014 at 4:03pm
Dean,

Because we have a difference of opinion I rub you the wrong way? I guess we'll never be friends.

Sorry about your mother. I do believe you are mistaken about the 10 guys.

First off, dispatchers (employed within the Police Department) make the call as to how serious the situation is and which units to respond. You need to find out what the nursing home told the dispatchers when they called 911. If dispatchers determined your mothers condition warranted advanced care, an engine company would have also been dispatched to care for your mother. Medics are staffed by two personnel, three would be a rare exception unless it was a reserve medic staffed by an engine company. Students from the area education institutions ride with our squads to get their state mandated ride time.

Engine companies are staffed by three personnel with the rare occasion of a fourth.

I have heard complaints when we have "loaded and go" about being to rough or uncaring. Now I hear we were too careful and took too long. What's a guy to do. Time frames are often grossly exaggerated (unintentionally) in stressful situations. If you care to list specifics, I could check on the documented run times.

I have worked in other professions. We have guys that left AK and came to work at the department.

Blast the siren? Yep, because in this day and age of "I need to be there before you", drivers routinely fail to yield. You do understand how quickly the brain dies without oxygen or how quickly fire doubles in size. Since you seem to constantly hear "MFD blast the sirens", you do understand its because we have been called to do our job? The number of calls keep increasing while the number of fire fighters to answer those calls continue to dwindle.

In the end, we will never agree and I'm okay with that. Some people want fire fighters to risk their lives for free and the day of volunteers in big cities are over. However, the Police Department does use loss-cost reserves.

Sorry, I don't know who or what "G" is. Please elaborate.

Ashkicker
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2014 at 3:51pm
Give the union a break. Middletown was built by the unions.
Dean View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2014 at 3:31pm
70 people in your organization rub people the wrong way including you.

Cut the fire department. A few years ago, my mother had a stomach ache while staying at The Gables. Eight fire fighters came, two trucks, to take her to The Atrium for a quick ER visit. It took MFD 30 minutes to get her out. Even my mother at the time wondered why a possee of men came, when she had a non life threatening case and short term illness. Everywhere you now drive, the MFD blast the sirens. People are tired of the tactics and the first concern is the union, not residents.

Go get a job at AK Steel, join their union, play their politics. You aren't winning the debate here. By the way, who was the fire guy involved with G?   

ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2014 at 2:18pm
Middiemom,

"Allow", yes that is the correct term. As a Union, we have a contract with the city. Our contract is for full time employees. That contract runs until December 31, 2014. The city can't use part-timers per the contract unless the Union agrees or "allows" them. The city can negotiate part-timers for the contract beginning January 1, 2015 and could ultimately be awarded that provision in arbitration. Until a new contract is in place, the Union has a voice in protecting provision of the current contract.

Pay cuts. See above. We have a pay structure in place until December 31, 2014. How many people do you know that voluntarily give up part of their pay? With no pay raise in at least 6 years and possibly for 2 more years coupled with a greater health insurance premium, that does translate into a shrinking pay check. Where does giving back end? Reading some posts on this board, fire fighters only deserve minimum wage paychecks. If we gave back 5%, people here would complain that we didn't give back 10%. If we gave back 10%, they would want 15%, etc.
I believe the pay is equal to job we are asked to do.

Anti-levy people were quick to point out how much fire fighters earn in a year and Middletown citizens STILL passed the last levy overwhelming. To this point in the year, city revenue is up $600,000.

With 70+ people in an organization there is sure to be one or two individuals that rub people the wrong way. For that I truly apologize. Some members are frustrated by the passage of a levy only to be followed by a cut to YOUR fire department.

Personally where I live shouldn't make a difference, but you seem to think it does. To that end, I do not live in Middletown. I shop in Middletown, eat in Middletown and play in Middletown. Funny thing, living outside of Middletown doesn't make me immune from Middletown payroll taxes. So I guess I'm "shaking" myself down. I'll yell at myself later for that.

Ashkicker
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2014 at 6:33am
Seriously, isn't the city responsible for lying to the public? Remember, THE CITY LEADERS SAID that if we passed the safety levy the manpower count would remain the same. THE CITY LEADERS changed their minds AFTER the levy was passed and another lie was told to the people.

Look, this city must have the capability to put out fires and save lives and dealing with the criminals. With the ramp up of crime and drugs, CREATED BY THE CITY LEADERS with their over-saturation of low income Section 8 and the varying types of people the program typically attracts, we need the cops at full force to handle the ghetto activity this town is now seeing. Ya can't create more work and expect to cover that work adequately with less people. Bassackwards. Typical management nonsense.

IMO, the target is not the fire folks or the police. The target of the frustration of this whole situation should be focused on those who created the situation.......the CITY LEADERS.

If money is the issue with the city claiming they can't afford any increases to the union bargaining points, if they are asking the union to make some cuts to save money, why isn't the city building side of the negotiations also cutting manpower and salaries? Is this bargaining in good faith coming from the city's side of things? How about BOTH sides taking an equal hit in numbers and salary and BOTH sharing equally in the monetary misery? Shouldn't the theme be whatever it takes to place the situation in the realm of affordability for all concerned? The city shows the police and fire the financial books with revenue coming in and expenditures going out with the cuts in salary and poitions made to indicate money saved and the fire/police agreeing to a similar situation in their area. Now is the time for BOTH SIDES to give concessions. Neither should be asked to bear the total burden of the financial hits. We know what the fire and police have been asked to do. What, in detail, has the city done as their share in this? I see hiring going on perodically in the Econ. Dev Dept and in the Council Meeting notes. Why is the city building hiring and, at the same time, asking the fire and police to take hits? I'd rather have another fireman than a papershuffling admin manager in Econ. Dev. doing little to nothing each day.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
middiemom View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middiemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2014 at 10:13pm
Dean is right. If there wasn't any scaremongering about sb5 we wouldn't  even be having this conversation now. Ashkicker, if you union guys were all for one and one for all as you say then, why not take a pay cut to keep your union brothers employed? It just seems you all are concerned with keeping the city safe and you care so much that you would do anything you could do to keep the city safe. That is your mantra. You want to keep the city safe. If you are so invested in it take a paycut. whenever you want a safety levy passed you ask the taxpayers to take a paycut. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. 
middiemom View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middiemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2014 at 9:56pm
"The union is allowing part timers" Ashkicker, who do you people think you are? You will allow it? Do you live in the city of Middletown? How many of you live in Middletown? I get so tired of your union thug tactics. You all orchestrated an election and the candidates you worked so hard for turned their backs on you. Clap Get it through your heads.....we, as a city, can't afford it anymore. Go get a job in another city or, perhaps the one you live in, and shake them down. 
ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2014 at 4:51pm
Dean,

Which threats were you talking about? I didn't see them, of course I was on the inside looking out.

"Pity nor empathy for these guys"? What about the people living on that end of town? Brush fires? A couple of Middletown citizens die in fires and you call them brush fires?

2-3 trucks talking folks to Atrium? Do you have any idea how the fire department runs? Stop in a station (not station 4) and ask your questions, anybody there will be happy to address your concerns.

So the Union is willing to play ball allowing in part timers (at a cost savings to the city and a monetary loss to the Union) but are concerned about the staffing model (a non monetary issue)and you think we're being thugs?

Ashkicker
Dean View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2014 at 10:35am
The most vulgar, dispeccable behavior seen in Middletown were fire fighting employees acting as thugs, threatening Josh Laubach when he was attempting to have a peaceful, intelligent exchange, on SR5.
No pity nor empathy for these guys, none. 20% fire fighters putting out brush fires, 80% runs with 2-3 trucks taking folks to Atrium. They burnt their own bridge pre SR5.    
eastsider View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eastsider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2014 at 10:26am
Sad day for the City of Middletown!  Especially if you live in the northeastern district/part of city.  You no longer have a fire truck or medic unit to service your fire/ems emergencies and will wait for a company from downtown.  I HOPE it is in service when you need it!  I know some of you didnt vote for the public safety levy and some did, not here to argue that, but it passed and staffing levels were promised to be status quo!

bright past....and such a brighter future! JOKE!!!!

Trotwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trotwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2014 at 12:18am
Let me remind you all that you get what you pay for. Want a sh*tty police dept? Stop passing levies.
ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 6:28am
Pension

Fire fighters paid 10% into the pension system for years. That went up to 10.75% and has increased to 11.5% as of July of this year.

Insurance

Employees pay for insurance bi-weekly. That amount is adjusted annually to reflect the overall cost to the city. Contract language can be seen at:

http://www.serb.ohio.gov/sections/research/WEB_CONTRACTS/11-MED-10-1622.pdf

Ashkicker
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 6:09am

Step A - $45,071.56      (Entry level salary)
Step B - $47,194.12      $2122.56 or a 4.7% increase
Step C - $49,409.43      $2215.31 or a 4.7% increase
Step D - $52,999.37      $3589.94 or a 7.3% increase
Step E - $57,453.75      $4454.38 or a 8.4% increase
Step F – $60,152.60      $2698.85 or a 4.7% increase

These percentages are decent. Starting at 45 thou ain't too shabby either. Higher than most workers in private industry start out. 60 grand for a topped out salary? Not bad either. Might achieve that as a technician in R&D, in a large corporation like P&G or International Paper after 25 years if you attained the top raise percentage each year. As mentioned earlier, normally looking at .5 to 2-3% each year on raises now when, in earlier times, one could see 3% as a minimum raise. Never heard of a 7.3% or an 8.4% increase for worker bees in any company. This percentage level is withheld for manager levels.

Question:

Do fire department people pay into their retirements, similar to employee contributions into their IRA in private industry, while working? Do they have payroll deductions for dental and medical premiums each pay period, again, like private industry? IE, do they share the cost with the city for benefit premiums like most companies require nowadays?

Thanks in advance for your response.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2014 at 8:21pm
Ashkicker -

Thank you for your prompt and detailed response.

The real problem with the City of Middletown is that senior staff have been wasteful and misguided in the funding of so many plans and lavish projects, not public safety abuses.

Maintenance of the public infrastructure plus the provision of public safety services has taken a backseat to 'pseudo downtown' giveaways, destruction and planned disinvestment in older neighborhoods, etc.

There is a middle ground when it comes to police and fire. Compromise is attainable. I value the work of your department.
ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2014 at 6:13pm
Vivian,

Disrespectful?????

A term of endearment vs. posting misinformation about a group of individuals? I’ll take the term of endearment.

Happy? Absolutely! All I was looking for was truthful information.

Perplexed,

I don’t know the exact number of employees but I will research that and the number of employees getting step increases. I will post that information here.

In the meantime, here is the breakdown for step increases for the last six years:

Step A - $45,071.56      (Entry level salary)
Step B - $47,194.12      $2122.56 or a 4.7% increase
Step C - $49,409.43      $2215.31 or a 4.7% increase
Step D - $52,999.37      $3589.94 or a 7.3% increase
Step E - $57,453.75      $4454.38 or a 8.4% increase
Step F – $60,152.60      $2698.85 or a 4.7% increase

To advance to Step B the employee must have “passed a written test, to be prepared by the Chief of the Division of Fire, regarding familiarity with the City of Middletown, specifically streets and landmarks.”

To advance to Step C the employee must have “received state certification as a paramedic.” (This is a moot requirement because ALL employees must be state certified paramedics before their first day on the job.)

There is no performance requirement to advance to Step D.

To advance to Step E the employee must have “completed training and received Division of Fire certification for operation of pumper trucks.”

To advance to Step F the employee must have “completed training and received Division of Fire certification for operation of an aerial apparatus.”

From the Collective Bargaining Agreement:

"SALARY ADJUSTMENT The salary of each employee shall be reviewed annually or otherwise as herein provided by the Fire Chief for the purpose of determining which employee shall be entitled to a step increase. All of his personnel records, performance and length of service shall be considered in making recommendations with major emphasis placed on the evaluation of services rendered. On the recommendation of the Fire Chief, the City Manager may advance an employee at the time of such review until the maximum step has been reached."

I have known at least one employee that never advanced past Step D and at least one employee that had their step increase delayed until they passed the required performance level.

Before you ask, I have no idea why the disparity in percentages through the step program.

The city has not increased the ranks of fire fighters in several years. (The anomaly in 2012 was due to fire fighters being laid off and then rehired at a later date.) Fire fighters have been hired to replace retiring fire fighters. With that being said, the city saves money with the step program.

Here’s how the city saves money:

In a new hire’s first year, the city saves $15,081.04, the difference between Step A (entry level) and Step F (top paid retiree). In the second year, the city saves $12,958.48, the difference between Step B and Step F. In the third year, the city saves $10,743.17, the difference between Step C and Step F. In the fourth year, the city saves $7153.23, the difference between Step D and Step F. In the fifth and final year of savings, the city saves $2698.85, the difference between Step E and Step F.

Whenever an employee is getting a step increase, it is because they replaced a top paid fire fighter. That translates to a direct savings of $48,634.77 over five years. You have to include benefit costs also, i.e. – pension contribution, workers comp, etc. which pushes the total savings over $60,000. I have worked in other industry (non-union) where everybody gets paid the same to do the same job. If that practice where used in the fire fighting profession, the city would never see that $60k+ savings.

Any other questions?

Ashkicker
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2014 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Perplexed Perplexed wrote:

It seems that Vivian's question is a simple one.

In the year 2000 how many people were employed?
In the year 2014 how many people are employed?
Between 2000 and 2014 how many people received step increases?
Between 2000 and 2014 what was the dollar amount annually of step increases that people received?

It also seems that modest cost of living increases and fringe benefits are really not the issue. An examination of the cost of step increases is needed.

Let's talk about step increases.

Not sure about this next comment, but I have heard that.....

Step increases are a luxury enjoyed only by the public sector. Pay increases are earned as one completes steps of knowledge and demonstrates competency within a given pay grade. This could produce several occasions for a raise within a given period of time. (Is this correct as I'm not 100% sure?- thanks for the clarification in advance)

This is quite different than the private sector job setup. The private sector allows for just one shot at a raise as a result of a performance appraisal as the supporting document. It is once a year. The raise is based on the employee's accomplishments during the year and those acomplishments are categorized from a very important contribution to "what you did didn't turn an eye" and non-important. Sometimes, it is being in the right place at the right time that gets you noticed. There are no "step increases" within a pay grade. If a raise is given, it is usually in the range of .5% to an average of 2-3% per year depending on the profits and financial health of the company. Sometimes no one gets a raise. The 2-3% doesn't quite keep up with the cost of living and all of us workers are way behind on the "keeping up with inflation" scale. Have been behind for decades.
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2014 at 11:27am
It seems that Vivian's question is a simple one.

In the year 2000 how many people were employed?
In the year 2014 how many people are employed?
Between 2000 and 2014 how many people received step increases?
Between 2000 and 2014 what was the dollar amount annually of step increases that people received?

It also seems that modest cost of living increases and fringe benefits are really not the issue. An examination of the cost of step increases is needed.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2014 at 11:26am
Ashkicker
No need to be disrespectful and call me BABY…
I do not have 30 days to completely research all the Fire Departments records from 2000-2014 nor do I intend to do so.
So I guess I will have to agree that the Firefighters have not had a raise for years…Do you feel better now?

ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2014 at 9:31am
Viv baby..........................still waiting.

Ashkicker
AKBobby View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AKBobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2014 at 2:31pm
increased budgets to police and fire doesn't mean they received increases in salaries or benefits. Not at all. Neither police or fire hasn't received raises in years. It could be equipment or increased costs in other things. But for some to say cops and firemen have gotten all these big raises that's 100% incorrect
AK - What is going on with that?
ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2014 at 9:39am
Vivian,

How does the amount of fire fighters employed have anything to do with individual salaries and benefits?

One more time I'll give this a try.

What increased salaries and benefits were you referring to in your original post? Don't cloud the issue with requests for new (used) vehicles, amount of fire fighters employed or overall budgets.

You know, something like more vacation days (didn't happen), 2% raise (didn't happen) or bonuses for saving lives (again, didn't happen).

One of the things that did happen was the Chief limited when personnel could use their compensatory time off. That will save the city money. Too be perfectly honest, the Union opposes the Chief's plan and have fought it. It is a change in department policy that is decades old.

Bottom line, I would like specific monetary values and benefits we have received.

Ashkicker
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2014 at 5:47am
Ashkicker

How many Firemen did we employ in 2000?
How many Firemen did we employ in 2014?

ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2014 at 11:17pm
Vivian,

Let me reread my posts.......................

Yep, just as I thought, I never once mentioned an increase in the fire departments budget. That was your information. Did it increase? If you say so I'll believe you.

On the other hand, YOU mentioned increased salaries and benefits. Once more I'll ask you a direct question. What increased salary and benefit did Middletown fire fighters receive?

"Hmmm...at the last council meeting you requested $60,000 for a truck." You must think I'm Chief Botts. I can guarantee you that I am not Chief Botts. With that being said, I didn't request $60,000. The department did. Please explain how the department's request for money for a vehicle translates into increased salaries and benefits.

Have fire fighters received a pay raise in those 14 years? Yes we did. However, fire fighters haven't had a raise in approximately 6 years and may not get one in the next couple of years. Of course our insurance premiums HAVE increased and fire fighters agreed to remove it from our contract and give the city more control over the cost.

Step increases? Yes, less senior fire fighters have received step increases once they meet city mandated standards. Most members of the department are at the top step of our pay range and did not get any step increase.

Because a budget increases doesn't mean fire fighters are reaping the benefits. It could have been due to medical supplies, fuel supplies, safety gear, uniforms, etc. going up in price.

Ashkicker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic