FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SORG MANSION TAX CREDIT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 8:01am

For the last 15 years City Council has focused all their attention and our tax dollars on “THEIR DOWNTOWN”. We took the roof off the City Center Mall and started on the rebirth of Historic South Main Street. The City Council and the Planning Department put so many restrictions on the downtown property that they have strangled the growth of this area.

Council members stated that they didn’t need to worry about the Rt. 122 – I 75 interchange area because “it would take care of it’s self.” We built the new hospital on the other side of I-75 and then
Fenwick High School purchased land in Warren County almost to Hunter for their new school.

All this talk from City Council about the revitalization of
Middletown while we let large employers move out of the city limits.
    It was during this same time period that City Council increased the Section 8 vouchers by 900 units.

The areas around the Central Offices of AK Steel were not cleaned up or revitalized at all.  In the last years before their move this area looked like a third world war zone. Yet City Hall seemed shocked when they moved their offices to
West Chester. ..shame on City Hall and the Planning Department again.

I’m not against the restoration of the houses on
South Main Street as long as the owners invest their own money…however I am against the CDBG Funds that were wasted in this area when it should have been spent in the areas of greatest need.

I believe what the majority of us are really upset about is that our concerns are not being heard and our needs are not being met.  City Hall wants more and more money in taxes and fees while we get no bang at all for our tax dollar.

Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 8:13am

The discussion about what will help downtown whether demolishing, or rehabing historic buildings or putting in other businesses is moot, in my opinion. But I hope that everyone will deeply consider the principles stated by Rhodes regarding downtown. I take them out of context here for your consideration.

“I personally do not think downtown will ever improve.”

“…..because of 2 specific reasons.  It's geographically in a bad location and it's demographically in a bad location.  The first problem can't be resolved and the 2nd problem is almost impossible to resolve.”

“We all see what can work downtown and nobody ever acknowledges it.  I've brought it up many times.  Trinity Place is going on 40 years strong.”

“ I don't mind what they do down there, I just don't like it when they dip into the hard working American paid taxes for their own benefit.”  

“Having said that, I really don't see the downtown area worth saving.  It's not convenient.  It's not safe.  It smells like backed up sewer half the time.”

“…..Catering to West Middletown?  Excellent idea and one that has confused me over the years as to why city planners haven't done that.”

These are pretty strong points for focus in other parts of the city for development instead of the millions that have been placed over the years in a losing area of our city….downtown.

pn

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 8:18am
I concur completely with sj and Mike Presta. Having lived in historic and affluent communities, before my unfortunate migration to Middletown, I can state without hesitation, the biggest impediment Middletown has with any thoughts associated with a historic area, and downtown activity and revitalization, is the fact the roads and infratsructure have been dishonestly avoided to be maintained since 1986, and its inability to attract and retain businesses makes it an area to be avoided. Its not complicated. Middletown is an area people avoid,

For the past few weeks, I have been working in my virtual office for a few weeks, meaning, my home office. During this period of time, I have been struck at the lack of traffic in the city, especially the Rosedale, Breihel, Central, and Grand area. These roads used to be very busy, with people driving for physician appointments, professional service businesses, and general movement for house owners in Middletown, driving around to upgrade, downgrade, or move. No more. I see maybe 3-4 cars an hour on Rosedale, and mostly beat up trucks driving through once very nice, upsacle neighborhoods, looking for a lawn mower that is scrapped, or a washer/ dryer. Admittedly, this form of ecological recycling is a nice convenience, as virtually anything put out on the curb, will be taken and hauled off from someone. As the saying goes, one's garbage or broken part, is another's treasure.

Tac credits mean nothing unless you have a huge tax liability and are looking for a write-off. Pople aren't buying houses for tax write offs. A house on the National Historic Register has allure and gravitous, but like trash, beauty and value is in the eye of the beholder. Frankly, there is so much ruin down property downtown, that off-sets any beauty from old victorian houses, and in particular, one like the Sorg Mansion, that looks like a house from a Dracula movie or Shanshack Redemption. It is ugly, run down, and has no appeal.

Now, to any whom espouse that fixing up a strip in Middletown of old victorians is going to reincarnate the city of Middletown, coupled with the upscale apartments living at the Manchester, this will never occur. What you aren't factoring into your calculus is people fist settle into areas based upon jobs, instead of the long commute, especially in an urban area. Secondly, without road repair, and basic service amentities, there is nothing attractive nor compelling, about living in an old building, even one restored, when the roads are awful, and crumble, taxes are high, reputation is at the bottom of the pit, and numerous alternatives are abundant within 30 miles.

More imporatntly, for those that think this activity downtown is worthy, and serves a purpose, I say you are nothing but an enabler, perpetuating a myth Middletown is coming back, so the city leaders and this council, shakedown countless funds, to be spread around their personal abode.

Its that simple.  

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 8:39am
Rhodes:
"The single thing that draws the higher income earners to live in the downtown area are the historic buildings."

"Leave the S Main residents alone!"

I enjoy the postings of SWOhio75 and Rhodes
They are factual, constructive and seldom personal; or derogatory.

So--if I mis-construed intent or thinking, it may be understandable--the internet can do that, and I don't always explain myself as clearly or nicely as I think that I do.

One thing that I see currently that is alarming:
More long-term pillar citizens have given up and are leaving now than at any time prior. They see no real hope within their lifetimes. The current mantra hasn't worked--they admit it and have been on the front line of it. And for many of the reasons that I have beaten in to the ground recently.

It seems that any vacant structure(somewhat exclusively in "THAT" area)
is frantically designated as "historic", as if that will honestly make a difference in how it functions into the future. Often that designation can be a detriment to improvements and usage.

I didn't want to leave my prior situation, though I had become surrounded by bad demographics even though many of my close eastern neighbors were flourishing. I do miss them, will wish them well and continue to support their ventures every day because they are well-intentioned locals who have done it on their own long-term, while our city govt.has done everything possible to create serious competition a few blocks west of them.

I experienced just that with the two very costly Duncan Oil deals. So--SWOhio and Rhodes--how have the Duncan deals played out? The land swaps? The train station?

Our demographics dictate dollar stores, convenience stores, swap shops and fast food, since our Section 8 generation(3rd generation 20-30yos) can't cook, won't eat healthy, won't work or stress the benefits of a free education---and the junkies/hookers need somewhere to steal, then sell their merchandise. My time was up--my building was old--my family and myself are now old. I actually stayed around too long. If you don't think that we care about the community in which we have lived and supported(and thankfully been supported by the masses), then your are seriously mis-guided.

My posts above reflect a part of the economy that I know, and the balance necessary to have a mixed and functioning economy.

As I said prior--we all want what will work--we just disagree as to how.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 10:03am
 “We all see what can work downtown and nobody ever acknowledges it.  I've brought it up many times.  Trinity Place is going on 40 years strong.”

Mr. Nagy
I believe if you call the office of Trinity Place you will find they are renting to Section 8 voucher holders also. However it is a well managed and maintained complex. 
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 12:46pm
Sj, the line you pasted "The single thing that draws the higher income earners to live in the downtown area are the historic buildings." is in reference to your idea of demolishing historic buildings and replacing them with new strip centers and gas stations.  My comment is correct.  The only high income earners living in the downtown area are living down there because of the historic nature of the area.  I'm not understanding why that sentence is causing so much confusion.  Now we're onto land swaps and train stations?  Please find a post where I have ever supported any of that.  This is really getting stretched where you keep reaching for a new topics to use in your arguments that I have never promoted on here.  This all stems from you suggesting there was something special about the Sorg Mansion corner lot in that it would make a great location for a strip center and/or gas station.  Forget the avalanche of other vacant lots downtown or even the empty corner lot next to the Sorg, but it was the Sorg property you really focused.  I said it was silly and it is.  I was never suggesting any type of business improvements downtown when this all started.  I was making the point that it looked like the tax payers were being bilked for the renovations at the Sorg Mansion.  You then started saying it should be torn down.  Maybe you were just being provocative, but whatever it was, it didn't fly well because it made no sense.  When you have a downtown that is full of vacant lots and you suggest tearing down the most expensive house ever built in Middletown to replace with cheap buildings, then you're not being serious.

Vivian, someone should call the Trinity Place office and ask them because this has been brought up before and then confirmed that they do not accept Section 8.  I've called there myself and asked the last time this was debated on here.  The only Section 8 accepted by any complex in that area with the word "trinity" in it is the senior housing building located next to Holy Trinity.  I can't remember the name of it, but it is about 4 or 5 stories tall and built around the late 1970's or early 1980's.  They don't accept just any Section 8, it is only for the type of residents that live in a care facility and need the special senior type services they provide.

I'm really surprised by some of the people posting on here that keep making arguments against what nobody is suggesting.

Anyone find out more information on how the historic tax credits work?  The only 2 things I have been able to confirm are that Ohio historic tax credits are a refund and federal historic tax credits are not.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 3:37pm

Rhodes
I know that several years ago they had a few Section 8 because they were having problems filling their units however I have not checked in the last few years. 
I think the other is called Trinity House that is located on Clark Street is for the elderly. I'm told that they are nice units also.
I will also agree with Spider that we need a grocery store located someplace in the core area if you are going to build new apartments in the current downtown buildings for the young or for the elderly.

All of the feasibility studies that have been completed over the past 15 years have all stated that downtown will need a major draw to be successful

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 3:38pm
We view the Sorg Mansion property differently. I was hardly mentioning a cheaply done strip center. I was thinking quality associated with the adjacent re-conditioned properties. I am talking attractive high-quality goods and services. Lord knows that we have enough low-level options. That location is dead-center to best serve the largest capable consumer neighborhood close by--and the block across is prime for re-development. We all want the area to become more attractive, and to do so pribvately without taxpayer expense. Face it--the Mansion will remain--poor condition and we will probably pay for it's restoration for private use and still never be invited inside. Sorry--a major waste and missed opportunity in my eyes..

YOU made this somewhat personal by mentioning my business situation in to this mix. I explained a few related situations, and imo all of these issues tie together in the big picture. People are beyond sick of hearing about the former downtown and S Main, believe me. It is only important to those with a stake there. 

Just being provocative? Try innovative. Old things in that state of dis-repair get demoed rather than millions to re-do. Try sensible and realistic. Expensively re-habilitating dilapidated structures to serve no cost-justifiable purpose is what makes no sense, and we seem to be doing just that repetitively.

You seem to be an honorable sensible citizen, Rhodes, but we are not on the same page.
So--time to join my friends----

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/xBe8ilDjEJs?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/xBe8ilDjEJs?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 4:02pm
May I say something?

I am sick of hearing of South Main, and downtown non revitalization.

Thank you.
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 5:50pm
Sj, it's not a matter of how the Sorg Mansion property is viewed as whether it is worthy of existence or not.  You made a claim that that was a corner that could change the downtown.

I didn't make anything personal because you have openly discussed your store going the dollar route.  The only reason I made a reference to it was so that I could continue on about the huge amount of dollar stores that are already in Middletown.  There was no way for me to make that point without mentioning your situation because if I didn't directly mention it, it would have been inferred that it was a dig.  You can't openly discuss something like that on here and then call it personal when somebody is making a point about the influx of garbage stores throughout the city.  Since we're on the topic of the Central Ave. property, it's funny that building is worthy of a remodel.  Built of standard materials, nothing fancy, nothing over the top.  Plain brick, concrete block, aluminum panels.  Nothing of high quality.  Not picking at it, it's pretty standard for Middletown, but it's ok and worthy of a remodel for a new store? Then downtown there is a mansion built like a tank that is a relic of the gilded age, built of the finest materials, exotic woods, all the good stuff.  That's not worthy of restoring, but the new dollar store building is?

It was a bad business idea.  It was an even worse structure judgement analysis.

Vivian, I never said the downtown didn't need new developments.  I only challenged Sj because his solution was to demolish the Sorg Mansion and put a strip center and/or gas station on that dirt.  None of the other vacant lots scattered all over downtown or the vacant lot across from the Sorg Mansion.  No, it was the Sorg Mansion dirt that he says needed to house new commercial businesses.  As for the Section 8 at Trinity Place, I'm pretty sure that they have never allowed that.  Somebody could easily call again and check.  I remember somebody on here was saying Trinity Place had Section 8 when things got tough, but the person that posted it was guessing that was the case.  I can't remember if it was the same person or another person that kept confusing the 2 Trinity named properties, not realizing one was for elderly care only.
Historic House Guy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 7:19pm
Gezzus! You guys are (mostly) all nuts. These tax credits are awarded by the State. They set aside a certian amount for private historic preservation every year so no matter where it goes, it's going somewhere. You would think that you would be happy that an investor came to take the mansion and turn it into something. Eveen happier that they were awarded a state funded tax credit to help them offset cost for the project and get the job done.

Instead you find everything wrong with the deal and act like this is coming out of some fund that's going to short you on the things you'd like to see Middletown do with the money. This has nothing to with do with Middletown money! They are private investors who will eventually live at the estate. Why do you care so much if it fails or it's a hit. It's not costing you a dime. As far as the street lights are concered on S. Main, yes, the home owners there are paying for it themselves via assessment along with a share of the paving. We had an offer on a house there before the project started and attended a few community meetings so I know who was paying for what.

They need to re-name this site "Middletown Curmudgeons" shesh!
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 7:32pm
fair enough rhodes and house guy
we are rambling and straying anyway

best of luck to these people
though state $$ is still our $$--it wasn't printed for free
and the issue over the lights was not installation/assessments, but the powering of these lights(4x the normal streetlights) which is not assessed but shared by everyone

just a thought from my end--obviously not popular
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 7:40pm
Historic House Guy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 7:40pm
SJ, you're right. State money is still our money. Be glad some came back home thanks to these folks and their vision (regardless if it works or not). As for the street lights, not sure where you come up with 4x the cost of regular lights but if you notice, they're spaced out further then your normal street light so they don't need to run as many to get the job done. This may or may not wash at the end. Would be interested to know how you came about this efficiency number.
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:09pm
HHG, I get your point that the money is already there, so what's the big deal approach.  A lot of people on here are borderline, if not all the way, libertarians.  When government has enough money to pass out for pet projects that means they are collecting too much and need to start returning it.  It sounds great to help communities, but I'm sure you know from your own experience that certain people tend to benefit more than others from these programs.

Nobody seems to be denying my earlier assessment of how the programs work and since it does appear to work that way or close to it, that is unfortunate the tax payers are funding a large portion of the rehab costs of the Sorg Mansion.  No wonder the buyers of that property staked it out for so long.  They found a project in which they would benefit financially through the use of tax dollars.  As I posted earlier, the only time frame of ownership I could find was at the federal level of 5 years.  Maybe this is why the new owners are on their 4th or 5th bed and breakfast adventure.

As for the street lamp costs to operate.  That would be interesting to see where the information is coming from that states they are 4 times the cost.  I won't say I don't believe that totally, but it doesn't sound accurate.  From a little research I just did, these types of lights are gaining in popularity around the country in subdivisions and many areas have waiting lists because of the demand.  With technological advances, it would be strange that the cost to operate would go up by that much.  Doesn't the Sunset Park area already have these type of lights?  I could be wrong, but I think I remember seeing similar lights on Aberdeen Dr.
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:25pm
Here's a quick follow up on those street lights.  I did a few checks on street view.  Turns out several streets in Middletown already have similar street lamps that were recently installed on South Main.  Mostly newer neighborhoods, like off Miller Rd.  They're also on Flemming, where it runs along the golf course.  Same for Milton Rd.  The Oaks has them as well as DaVinci Dr.  I'm assuming the ones on South Main are a little larger.  Are the ones on South Main 4x costs of the street lamps in some of the locations I just mentioned or 4x the cost of the utility pole lamps they replaced?
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 10:29pm
Firstly, the City Engineer's own Staff Report to council stated that the phony gas lamps (I believe the number was 42) on South Main Street would cost $450 per month MORE in power usage costs than the standard street lights (I believe the number was 11) that they were to replace.  This $5,400 annual cost will go on EVERY YEAR, from now until the end of time, to be borne by ALL city residents, NOT just the residents of South Main Street.

Secondly, it now appears that the new, phony olde tyme lights don't give off as much light as was expected, so the existing modern street lights will REMAIN to actually light the streets!!!  This means this whole cluster-f*** will cost the citizenry even MORE every month in power and maintenance, from now until the end of time!!!  Great job, Council!!!

Lastly, regarding the olde tyme, phony gas lamps, HistoricHouseGuy wrote: "they're spaced out further then your normal street light so they don't need to run as many to get the job done".  This is absolutely incorrect!!!  The olde tyme phony gas lamps are much lower to the ground, so they do not cast light nearly as far as the modern street lamps that they were SUPPOSED to replace.  Therefore, they had to be spaced much closer together, resulting in about a 4 or 5 to 1 purported replacement ratio.  There were about 42 to 45 olde tyme, phony gas lamps proposed to replace about 11 modern street lamps, as I recall. (The actual figures are right here on MiddletwonUSA somewhere if anyone has the gumption to search them out.) 

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 10:43pm
The sad thing is that there was a very simple alternative that was proposed to, but rejected by council:

Let all of the South Main Street folks who wanted such decorative lights to ENHANCE THEIR OWN PROPERTIES, put them just a few feet away on the other side of the sidewalk on their own property, wired to their own electric meters!!!

Of course that would've cost them (collectively) about $5,400 per year in power costs every year to achieve what THEY wanted, but everything else would've been about the same, including aesthetics.  

Why did they reject this idea???  The only thing I can think of is that they figured "Why should we pay that $5,400 every year when we can foist it off on the rest of the taxpayers!!!"

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 11:21pm
Rhodes and Historic Guy,
         You were on good ground but now you have lost ground. What right does one part of town have over other parts of town to get millions of preferred dollars over the years to the detriment of the entire city and every citizen including you.
        Those dumb lights have nothing whatsoever with historic restoration and you and everyone else knows it. It has to do with a few people trying to get their way and raising their property values at taxpayers expense without any regard to everyone else's property values. Their token contributions to the lights are laughable if it weren't so serious. As Rhodes so well pointed out downtown development by this Council and Administration is a joke and they have no idea what they are doing or how to do it and never have had.  We don't need your knowledge or mine to tell us that. The city's negative losses tell us that and so does every real estate agent in the past and present and future tell us that. That is above and beyond what  recession has done to us. Its one thing for you to talk about historic restoration on a specific building  or lights but all you say is moot because of its subjective nature. It has nothing to do with abusive, corruptive practice to a cities progress (lack of it) by individuals who would rather have power than democracy and who would rather have their special interests than the betterment of the majority of middle class citizens who are leaving in droves. So lets get on with the discussion over the lights (to major in minors) if thats what you are of a mind to do rather than deal with the real issues of city councils total failues to meet the city's needs in ANY area. But don't expect those on this forum to buy into the mole hills when there are mountains that they have been dealing with for years.  Better yet, don't waste any more time on the lights and lets talk about council and the administrations motives, failures and actions. Those other conversations are just efforts to distract others from the real issues and we all know it.

Further, when you take on someone like SJ regarding business you aren't even in the ballpark. His business experience and expertise is proven over decades in a much wider frame of reference than both of you. His extensive contributions ( and his families) in time, service,  finances to this city in so many numerous ways over decades are almost unparralled by any one currently living.

pn

Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 12:08am
SJ is not the Donald Trump of Middletown.  Running grocery stores is not the same as being a developer.  Someone doesn't get to be elevated to some false superiority because they are in the food business.  What makes any of you think that nobody else on here is in business?  If you can't tell by what I post and what I say on here that I am not some bump on the log, then that is a pretty ignorant stance to take.

I'm going to say this for the last time since so many of you are out in la la land.  I have never ever suggested or implied or outright said that I support tax dollars going to any historic preservation of any kind.

I mean seriously, this is completely unbelievable how some of you are more interested in arguing with someone who is actually on your side over something petty.  I'm sorry some of you put SJ on a pedestal.  Like I told him before, I usually agree with most of what he posts, but he has no idea what he is talking about when he suggests demolishing the Sorg Mansion and replacing it with businesses where no sane business person would ever invest their own money.  Instead of owning up that he was just being provocative, he decided to dig his heels in and make a mockery of the whole topic.  Low and behold, the regulars can't wait to jump in and make a comment thinking they are going to win a non-existent debate.

Reading is really important.  Comprehending what you just read is even more so.  Researching before you post is another key to having a reasoned discussion.  Juvenile jabs when you have no idea what you are talking about or you post emphatically denouncing something nobody has proposed makes you all look like fools that do it... regularly.  Next time you post, know your words and know them well.  Before clicking that post reply button, maybe read that link you throw out there or the 500 line diatribes you copy/paste thinking it makes you look smart, when it just makes you look lazy and pathetic.

Maybe someone should come on here and post more photos of corvettes so you all can waste another 2 pages like you did a few weeks back.  Research, research, research...  You can talk all you want about how affluent you think you are, but dumb is dumb all day.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 8:34am
Originally posted by Rhodes Rhodes wrote:

Reading is really important.  Comprehending what you just read is even more so.  Researching before you post is another key to having a reasoned discussion.  Juvenile jabs when you have no idea what you are talking about or you post emphatically denouncing something nobody has proposed makes you all look like fools that do it... regularly. 

Maybe someone should come on here and post more photos of corvettes so you all can waste another 2 pages like you did a few weeks back.  Research, research, research...  You can talk all you want about how affluent you think you are, but dumb is dumb all day.

Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 9:13am
boy o boy--I was happy to let this go until Rhodes insults my intent and purpose. I have never claimed to be a development whiz or mega-mogul in this community. Once again, those are Rhodes' words(which he will later deny or say that they were out of context). My company did a lot of business in this community, and at one time was one of the leading handful of private employers in this city. I was fortunate to work with many of the brightest in this community during their teen years. I don't control what others say or think about me or anything else(obviously!), and everyone posting on this forum does not think the same or is part of some clique(obviously!) as is often accused by the snipers and hitmen. I don't hide behind any screen names since I was outed many years ago.

Provocative? I was dead serious in my thinking. I was not talking about another cheap, half-assed chain strip center--I mean something that would be enthusiastically supported by the current S Main bourgoues and the large amount of housing(customers)in that area(which would include the current businesses + in the former downtown area(which SHOULD eventually grow at some point). OK--maybe you leave this glorified historic mess(which sold for half of what I received for my smaller brick/mortar "plain" small parcel in a distressed neighborhood), and start across the street in the vacant service station lot and proceed behind(west) and down the block to the current nfl Broadway News building(east). This is the prime attractive location--trust me--not the plot suggested by SWOhio75 imo. Maybe condos/apartments on the Sorg lot tied in to the tennis/swimming/golf/dining/meeting options pretty much already connected.

Not throwing stones, though Rhodes has not come off to be as bright as I expected in this exchange. Still these topics always seem to take a personal tone, and it usually comes from outside of the regular MUSA base imo.

Thank you for your kind words and support, Mr.Nagy.
My former business, my family's and my work in this community speaks for itself long term. Those involved and affected know. We have nothing that needs to be defended. Many needy are damned glad that we have been around.
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 9:55am
SJ, I have never said you claimed to be a development whiz.  One of your cheerleaders thinks you are hands off because you had an aisle 5 and an aisle 9.   It's really scary that I have to keep explaining what I post when it is so simple the first time.

Actually the plot swohio75 suggested is a better area to do a redevelopment like Trinity Place or something similar.  Remove that part of Tytus Ave., clear out the over growth of the canal, remove the buildings on that triangle or at least that welfare tower, connect the land to Smith Park.  It sits across from the police station, post office, behind a courthouse, sits along the Reinartz escape route from downtown, much further from the grit of the Central Ave. hookers.  It actually would be an excellent area for redevelopment.  By removing that part of Tytus, it would force traffic onto Verity Parkway (where it should be) and maybe that section of Verity could go back to being restaurants like it partially was back in the 70's.  It's already a wide boulevard.

So I have to say swohio75 might have hit a home run with that suggestion.  Carry on with your fantasy of demolishing the Sorg Mansion, which is never going to happen in any of our lifetimes.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 10:30am
What a disappointing piece of work you have become.
What I started posting in this thread was 100% objective in vision.
You have evolved it into muck with your personal insults.

To me, Mr.Nagy, chmoore1, fact guy And whomever I have missed or is next.

You are correct in tvT most of your postings are simple and direct, though as all of us, sometimes misguided and naive.
Your "streetlights" comments specifically
Nbd--we will go on, hopefully in a progressive constructive manner.
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 11:11am
My posts are neither misguided or naive. <--  is that one of those personal insult things you don't want thrown your way?  You can throw them my way, I could care less.  Just quote me correctly next time.  You weren't being objective in vision, you were trying to rattle the cage.  You got called out on it because it was so over the top ridiculous.

I like my posts and I think most people do (from what I hear).  It's hard to argue against reason although the merry band of brothers will surely do so as it seems protocol on this site.

Back to the downtown lamps?  Ok, I don't know what is so misguided about asking how they cost more, but don't mind being informed.  As I have repeatedly said, I wasn't in that discussion before and didn't care.  Someone brought it up in this thread like it was the end of the world.  Turns out they're all over town.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic