FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Collective bargaining laws up for discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 8:20pm
Good points Vet.  Don't forget the de facto age discrimination in the private sector.  Let's say your hope was to save a max amount in your 401k for your final 10 working years.  Then how about getting laid off at 55 or 60 and trying to find the same work at similar pay.  Good luck!  So not only lose a job and end up taking one at lower pay, but now you can't catch up on your retirement savings.  All while people like Irisner, the pot bellied cops getting Twinkies at Speedway, or the cop at the library who is half-asleep all day don't have to worry about age discrimination or the ravages of the economy.  No no.  Heck, they can't wait to get older because that's when the gravy train really starts!  Maxing out the overtime so that their final pension figures get boosted.  Happily counting down the weeks and months to retirement with no fear of downsizing....let alone no fear of working hard.  Hell, that's for the young bucks on the force.  Don't you see, a job is an ENTITLEMENT and a RIGHT according to people like AJ.  He's learned well in the 4 years he's had a driver's license that once hired, never fired.  Heads, union guy wins, tails we all lose.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 8:18pm
A year ago I would have been on the opposite side of this argument but now I have to throw my support behind Josh Laubach and his idea .Knowing that the City I worked in was going in the hole and would eventually have to lay off workers and/or cut off services.Wouldn't it be better for the City and fellow employees that make decent wages and have great benefits to take a temporary freeze,every one is getting hit in this economy and a wage freeze would show the public that we can pull together to help this City stay safe.

P.S.

I think that the Police and Firemen here in Middletown are among  the best in the Country bar none and I do not take my position lightly as it directly affects some people very close to me.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 7:20pm
Irisner- I have a question for you. I'm not trying to be argumentative. Just trying to learn something from a union person as I have never worked in a union environment before.

Question: (please don't answer if this gets too personal- I understand)

You obviously have health, dental, probably vision and some type of retirement package, do you not? If so, what is your contribution to these programs out of your wages in percentage? If your answer is that I don't contribute anything, it is all paid for by my employer, you are already light years ahead of most of us. We are asked to contribute more as time goes by to our dental, health, vision premiums and some employers have cut way back on the amount of money they are plowing into ones retirement. That means, if we are going to have a decent 401K at the end of our working days, we will need to have more and more deducted from our pay to make up for what the employer use to put in...if we can afford to do so. Most can't as the wages aren't that terrific to dedicate a large portion to one's retirement.

Question: Have you ever had a year when you got no raise? How about a .5% raise? 1% anytime? I have on several occasions during my 40+ years of working. Just the way it is in a non-union environment and there's no one to go to to "air a grievance" or bargain. You take it and go on because there is no one to listen to your dissatisfaction. OR, do the union folks usually....always get a 3 percenter every year like clockwork that is based on contract negotiations BEFORE the work is actually done rather than on contributions or merit for the year based on work that has BEEN DONE?

Thanks, in advance, for your input if you choose to participate.
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 6:44pm
lrisner,
      You are real good about putting words in peoples mouth about what they would do under purely hypothetical circumstances without any facts to support your accusations.
       No one needs to support unions getting MORE than they bargained for in good times or any other times. Your accusation to the people on this forum that  "all you want to do is take" is laughable in the light of this cities history in at least the last fifteen to twenty years.
          You don't know what I would do if I had a company to provide some privatization and I was asked to waive some negotiated increase. I would do like most principled business people do who have values. I would look at the contract, the circumstances and the need and make a decison that is in the best interest of all concerned.
           I don't expect unions to do what I would not. I expect them to do what I would do.
           You are also wrong when you say,..."we all agree to some Tax increase to cover raises and we then ask the unions to cover the rest."  You are right when you say, ' You wouldn't go for that."  What many of us did "go for" was to vote against the last levy in 2007 because it only gave raises (even retroactively) to police ,fire and all city employees but did not add any additionally needed fire and police employees. We wanted to give more than they were asking for because the city needed it. It was a political football that was all about bureaucratic increases not public safety. We needed more fire and police personnel. I took a lot of heat because I was pushing a larger (but more limited) tax levy. Wasteful is right. We all ned to share the sacrifice.
         Your insinuation about character is shallow and falls short of the needs and economy of our situation and times.
         Please offer us a solution to the problem.
         Paul Nagy 
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 6:25pm
Hey start talking Unions and the loony Union guys come out of the woodwork.  Hey I have no problem honoring the current contract.  I say just start laying off police and fire as was men toned elsewhere on here.  Stop picking on the little guy to support the Public Safety unions.

Also vote no on the upcoming scare fest with the renewal of the Public safety levy.  Don't fall for the Union hollering the end of the word is coming if you don't past the PS Levy.  I won't be voting for it.  Unions cut off their noses to spite their faces just as AK workers did.  Stand fast now and then bitch when the layoffs come, Hey works for me.

The unions have been getting 3% for many years now while the rest suffer.  Time for the unions to pitch in which they won't do voluntarily, so then you must use force, forced layoffs.  If the city doesn't have the balls to lay them off I'll do it for them, just give me the names. 

Good Ole Irisner better to bleed the city dry than take a cut or freeze now.  Yeah that sure makes sense.  Problem with Unions it is always about them and no one else.  Everyone else be damned.

lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 5:57pm
Why do the Unions say no to foregoing NEGOTIATED raises in hard times? Becaus in good times if they were to ask for MORE than the nogotiated amount , you all would say " you have a contract. what is wrong with you wanting more now? honor th e contract.

Nuff said. Until you all support Unions getting MORE than they bargained for in good times, why in the world do you think they should give now? It is called give and take. all you all want to do is take..

Mr Nagy, I bet if you had a company that had a contract with Middletown to provide some privatization service and City Council ask you to waive some negotiated increase , you would to tell them to pack sand.

Why is it you expect the Unions to do what you would not?

I know....we all agree to some Tax increase to cover half the raises and we then ask to the Unions to cover the rest. How many here would go for that? I bet NONE!

Great character.

It is always about what SOMEONE else can give! That shows great character. NOT
Nelson...Himself View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson...Himself Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 3:33pm
Randy --

Sad to say, MiddletownUSA is about the only place where us average Middletonians can express opinions.

Thank you once again for your efforts!

The truth will set us citizens free from certain bureaucrats, some elected officials and the power brokers.

Clap   Clap   Clap
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 2:57pm
Tango,
         I cannot attend the council meeting but I sure will be there with you in spirit. Privatizing and regionalism is and should be a concern but the way this crazy world is going and with the special interests of council over the best interests of the city they should be seriously considered.
         It is always so encouraging to see everyones input.
         Thank you.
              pn
TANGO View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TANGO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 2:40pm
Hey Randy I will be at the meeting to not only show support for josh but let the rest to council know that the voters are behind him as well. Paul N. I agree with what you are saying but I am very concerned about privatizing and regionalism. I think if the government would let the cities run them selves they would be allot more efficient, but still have control.
AJ IT HAS VERY APPENT THAT YOU ARE OPPORTUNIST  AT ANY COST TO THE CITY
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by randy randy wrote:

Taken from Aj smith's Facebook Page

AJ Smith - Voters/Citizens/Taxpayers, come to the Council meeting this Tuesday at 5:30pm in the city building. Urge your Council members not to support this JOB KILLING, ANTI-COMMUNITY resolution!

AJ Smith  - CALL TO ACTION! Some Council Members want to cut your police, fire and public works employees so far back that we'll become unsustainable as a city. Our police officers, firefighters and public works employees need our help right now. Click this link, email the Mayor and tell him not to support this absurd resolution!

Read more on Councilmen Smith's Facebook page

Can someone refresh my memory on who wanted to cut Fire, Police Etc. on Council.  Seems to me Council and the city has been trying to avoid that at all costs by laying off other workers at City Hall.  By not giving raises or minimal raises to other groups of employees.  By trying to get the Public Safety workers to agree to a wage increase concession which has basically been pushed aside by some Unions.   AJ you a seem to have a hard time getting your facts straight.  It is a shame that rather than represent the City as you were elected to do you choose to rant and rave about employees most who do not even live in the city and can't even vote in the city.

But then again when you have someone trying to be Obama, this is what we get unfortunately.....Obama-Lite.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 2:02pm
Paul outsourcing was discussed on here a few years ago.  I think if you search for inter-governmental contracts it may come up.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Bocephus Bocephus wrote:

I wish I had recorded that last council meeting where AJ stated his job,does any one remember what he said ? something about being in charge of five counties ? LOL

Here you go BO he states he is employed by the Ohio Secretary of State, this from his Facebook page:

Employers
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 12:51pm

Sure I would he wouldn't be any worse than what we have representing us now LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Mr. Dave View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 12:43pm
Well wouldn't you vote for him to represent us on that level?  Wink
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 12:32pm
Just read his Facebook sounds like hes running for the Senate (maybe president some day who knows) LOL
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 12:28pm
AJ you are a winner for sure LOL now please tell us who wrote that piece for you.

Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 12:14pm
Good points Paul.  And I think, in more ways than one, AJ Smith's positions are rarely what is best for the CITY.  They usually are what is best for him, for unions, for a select few cronies, etc.
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 11:49am
   It is a mystery to me why no one talks about privatizing or outsourcing some of our departments in this kind of economy. When you outsource you sell the department and that puts money in the treasury. You draw the agreement to the city's satisfaction. It includes performance clauses, the new owner does all arbitration and negotiation (to the city's satisfaction) with unions, EPA, etc. The new owner almost always uses the same personnel. They streamline and run things much more efficiently. It can be for whatever term the city wants (ten, twenty or thirty years), at the end of which the city can buy it back. The city maintains control, gets cash and loses the headaches. What could be better in times like these.
          I have been the bigest supporter of our fire and police until I saw the attitude of both our chiefs att the recent council meeting. They wouldn't compromise for one penny. The union leaders have always turned me off but I stuck with them in spite of their unreasonableness.
          One other matter that I have always resented is that we have a majority of our safety forces that live out of town, Yet, when elections roll around they get out in organized force and interfere with our elections to get their candidates elected, support their levies and we don't have fair elections. That is against the law. But, Middletown excels in it.
            It is time to do some outsourcing and privatization. The economy is not going to get much better for a long time. The issue must always be, WHAT IS BEST FOR THE CITY!.
            Paul Nagy

randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 11:34am

I think this would be a great time to show up at meeting and show your support to Josh and show the rest of council that this is something that needs to be done or at least looked into. Does anyone plan on attending?

This should be a heated topic:

Resolution No. R2010-42, a resolution urging the Ohio General Assembly to reexamine and reconsider State laws limiting the ability of local governments to control personnel costs. (1st Reading)

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 11:33am
AJ's statement above reads like it just came out in a "pro-union campaign" flyer. After reading the above statement by Mr Smith one has to question who is he working for ? The people who elected him or the FOP ? And how would services arrive at "unsustainable" as Mr Smith states ? I seriously doubt that the city wants to cut services so deep that there would be no police or fire left to respond to any given situation.

I think AJ has over-stepped the boundries in his plea to garner union support.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 11:27am
I love it -- "job killing resolution"..what a laugh.  Why is AJ so concerned with the outcome of a handful of public safety job but not the jobs of anyone else in town?  Or the long-term job-CREATING prospects in this town?  Hmmm

I also would like to know who is the ghost writer than gave AJ the language for that post.  He obviously could not have done it.

AJ, please let me know when you take your first economics class and then explain to me how this city can afford to keep paying, and hiring more, public safety employees without spending down our reserves to nothing.  You've never had a fact-based answer for this budget problem.  In your fantasy world, the "other shoe" never drops.

I haven't thought much of this "man" from the beginning and I think even less of him now. 
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 11:18am
I think what happen is when Mr.Smith got in that spat with those ladies one of them must of slapped the common sense out of him.LOL
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 11:08am
Taken from Aj smith's Facebook Page

AJ Smith - Voters/Citizens/Taxpayers, come to the Council meeting this Tuesday at 5:30pm in the city building. Urge your Council members not to support this JOB KILLING, ANTI-COMMUNITY resolution!

AJ Smith  - CALL TO ACTION! Some Council Members want to cut your police, fire and public works employees so far back that we'll become unsustainable as a city. Our police officers, firefighters and public works employees need our help right now. Click this link, email the Mayor and tell him not to support this absurd resolution!
Stop Attacks on Services and Workers' Rights in Middletown!
Council members in Middletown, Ohio will present a resolution Tuesday that would put the services our communities receive at risk and repeal workers’ rights in the state.  Don’t let this anti-community, anti-worker Resolution pass.

The resolution calls on the Ohio General Assembly to reconsider Ohio’s public employee collective bargaining law.  Since it’s passage in 1984, the collective bargaining law has helped to create greater consistency and stability in the relationship between labor and management.  This shared approach to public work has led to better planning, greater productivity, improved delivery of services and made workers and employers mutually invested in outcomes that are accountable and transparent to taxpayers and the community at large. 

The law also provides workers with a vehicle for dispute resolution, which has dramatically cut down on work stoppages in Ohio and keeps vital emergency services running even during times of tough worker-employer disputes.  It also has given public workers – who were exempt from Federal collective bargaining laws passed in 1935 that only covered private sector workers – a voice on the job and legal rights in negotiating contracts with public employers. 

Take action now by filling out the information below to send an email to Middletown Mayor Larry Mulligan asking him to oppose this resolution and keep our communities safe and protect the rights of public service workers.

After you send your email to Mayor Mulligan, make plans to join labor and community activists for the first reading of the Resolution at Tuesday’s Middletown City Council meeting at 5:30PM at 1 Donham Plaza Middletown, Ohio

Read more on Councilmen Smith's Facebook page
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 9:46am
Mr. Smith, you seem to constantly open mouth and insert foot, when talking to the paper and thus the public.  Concerning the quote below,

If we get rid of collective bargaining we are asking for a much less qualified workforce,” Smith said."  

Could you please provide me with any data you have that proves Non-Union personnel are any less qualified than Unionized Personnel?  Does the city have two sets of qualifications for it's Public Safety employees, the Union Qualifications and the Non-Union ones?  So in your mind all Non-Union employees in the City of Middletown are less qualified to work for the City than Unionized workers, very dim view of your constituents if you ask me.

When is your term up?
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 9:37am

Josh is showing a lot of guts by bringing this to the forefront,a valiant effort. But I'm afraid his efforts will be wasted because the city is not going to fight the union and the union is not going to just fade into the background,although I wish they would. As I've said a thousand times and now for a thousand and one,police & fire have no business being unionized. Most unions are nothing more than organized crime syndicates,they will go to any length to obtain their objective including literally holding a city hostage.

I hope Josh sticks to his guns on this and demands more from council and city leaders.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic