FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Picture of Council-On-Line Journal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Picture of Council-On-Line Journal
    Posted: Aug 20 2008 at 7:42am
Noticed the seven dwarfs sitting behind the power desk there in council chambers. Notice Beckermeister sitting in the back with the head being propped up with the hand, trying his best to become interested. This is classic Becker as we know and cherish him. Was there any reaction by any council member to any of the presenters? OR, did they politely listen and typically ignore the people in front of them? They would do themselves a favor if they would interact and respond on a personal level with each speaker instead of sitting there like mannequins.I have noticed that they fail to show any involvement with the speaker during any presentation.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2008 at 8:12am
I just wish they would move the Upstairs meeting downstairs.  I really get tired of taking the time to see what is going on with Council and then I hear, "We discussed this at length upstairs."  This really irks me to no end as not everyone can be there for the upstairs meeting.

Vet last night was exactly as the MJ stated in the paper a re-enactment or in otherwords a waste of about 4 hrs.  There was never any doubt as to the outcome.  What happen to Frank Schiavone, is he working on his own deal to sell his property and drop his lawauit.  It will be interesting to see if any of the groups file additonal suits.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2008 at 8:17am
Becker and Armbruster Sleepy both look like they are in another world in that photo.  At least Ms Ford Question asked a question.  Marconi LOL gave us a chuckle with his comment about the 8' fence hiding a 100-200' tall coal pile.  Scott-Jones Angry took offense to being personally attacked and Mulligan Big%20smile just sat there and smiled at everyone....you know that Stan Laurel smile from Laurel and Hardy.

Laurel%20and%20Hardy%20in%20a%20promotional%20still%20from%20their%201937%20feature%20film%20Way%20Out%20West.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2008 at 9:56am
Pacman- the picture you show of Stanley is a classic. Someone bring a derby to the next council meeting and we'll talk 'ole Lawrence Mulligan Junior into trying it on while holding this picture next to him. Very close match, I think! Very funny, Pacman! You know, a little humor like this could go along way in making those council meetings tolerable and will emphasize the humor that goes with their decisions also.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2008 at 10:19am
Well, I hope that everyone is sitting down when they read the next  sentence, because you are likely to faint when you read what I have to say.

I actually think that council finally got one right!

I believe that AK is still holding some cards close to their vests, and that when "the rest of the story" becomes known, the picture will be much clearer.

However, I do think that a wider "green belt" with fast-growing trees to screen and sound-dampen should have been mandated.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2008 at 5:17pm

I sincerely hope that you are corect, Mike. If this move means expansion/continuation of the Middletown Works with significant job creation/retention, partnered with east end Atrrium related development, we could be on a decent path.

Otherwise, we have accomplished becoming the most cheaply polluted area of our state, and probably the counry(which is a PRETTY BIG price to pay).

With Mr.Koehler's(fire him NOW!) new definitions of related business activities and unbelievable lack of setback requirements, there was no reason for the emergency legislation.
This is an extremely serious issue that deserves working through every possible option.

We have no guarantees about anything other than the construcrtion of a very nasty coke facility. AK has already pulled their higher end work force out of the city, only leaving the millworkers who will have to continue breathing these poisons.

If your scenerio does not pan out, we have created the true end of Middletown as any type of progressive, new age, green municipality. And I f'n guarantee that no serious family will move here or be a part of this school system. And we have sentenced most Middletonians to potential life-threatening health risks far beyond what we have 2day(and we are rated very poorly now).

A good thing that I am not a member of this Council, since I would have killed the emergency legislation for a majority going through the proper cycle.

I fully expect this post to disappear, and this site to go dead mysteriously.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2008 at 7:20pm
Does anyone know if AK,SunCoke,Mr.Wainscott,Mr.McCoy, the Machinist union made campaign contributions to any current Council members, particularly Mayor Mulligan or Mr.Becker(the two huge money-raisers)?
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2008 at 9:36pm
Spider:
It takes some work, but this information should be available.  Candidates receiving donotions over a certain threshold are required by law to disclose this info and it then becomes a part of the public record.  The Journal should be familiar with the "how to" on this. 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2008 at 7:10am
Would the Board Of Elections and Betty McGary have the "contributors amounts to the candidates" information you're looking for? Don't know, just a guess.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2008 at 6:38am

Just a clarification ? on my part.
Would like to know again just who made up some of the extraordinarily large campaign fundingsof Mr.Becker,Mr.Mulligan and Ms.Lawrence.

Not that it would have changed any votes.
Actually Mr.Becker and Mr.Mulligan were definite YES votes without any type of outside influence.

Glad to see the work session,comments and meeting back to being completely televised.
Council,admin and ALL speakers should be respectful of EVERYONE and limited in their topics and time.
Let's hope everyone behaves, and there isn't tremendous after the action activity from the last meeting.

Anyone else think that the "emergency legislation" method is being seriously abused?
When will someone from Council stand up and say "I vote no because this item in no way should be emergency legislation".

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2008 at 9:42am
Spider, I have to agree.  Since I have moved here I have always wondered why Emergency Legislation is used so often, even for the most mundane of issues and reasons.  No other City Council that I have watched in any other City that I have lived has made Emergency Legislation the Norm as Middletown does.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic