FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

All Kids Will Eat Breakfast

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All Kids Will Eat Breakfast
    Posted: Jul 09 2008 at 8:00am
Journal- July 9 story- Money from state and federal funds will be used to reimburse the school districts to feed breakfast to ALL students, because "a good breakfast makes for good learners". I can understand the need for offering a free breakfast, using taxpayer money, to feed a disadvantaged student. However, I am having a problem with feeding everyone's kid, knowing the difficulty with finding money for the schools.How many kids will actually take advantage of this? Will this extra cost of providing a free breakfast really help students learn or is this just a supposition on the part of the Food Research and Action Center? What is the evidence of credibility to these claims and just who is this " Food Research and Action Center"? This is, no doubt, alot of taxpayer money being used for a program that may or may not be effective.Should we just take this verbatim or should we question taxpayer expenditures like this? It's your tax money they're spending.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2008 at 8:52am
I believe the meal will take place in the classroom during normal school hours, andnot separately/before the sdtart of the school day.  Supposedly it is too time-consuming to take place in the cafeteria.I don't think the teachers are happy about this, since they become responsible for cleaning the mess. Someone please correct me if I don't have my facts straight.

Why does our govt. feel the need to over-provide?
The parents/guardians must accept the responsibilty to prepare their children for schooling, which includes, proper nutrition,clothing, mentoring and adequate rest.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2008 at 6:05am
Spider
It's not a teachers job to feed her students breakfast in the morning. 
The parents need to be RESPONSIBLE for their children.
They need to get up and feed their children breakfast and make sure their homework is completed before they go to school.
If the children are coming to school hungry their parents need to be called to discuss the problem.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2008 at 6:38am
When I lived in Florida my sons school had this program in his elementary school each morning and this was 4 years ago. Each morning the kids were fed in the cafeteria.  Now the funny part about this program and I never understood why it was at his school as his school was a neighborhood school where the homes sold for $200,000.00 to over $1,000,000.00, so these people could definitely afford to feed their kids breakfast yet it was offered for free each day by the school system.  The kids looked at it as more of a social time to be with their friends and enjoyed it a lot.
HereIam View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HereIam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2008 at 3:36pm

I can understand why schools in impoverished neighborhoods would offer this to their students, but students in wealthier neighborhoods definitely do not need it.  By offering it to all students in every school, it's just another government overkill.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic