FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hispanic Program At Wildwood

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hispanic Program At Wildwood
    Posted: Sep 23 2010 at 1:51pm
Bocephus, I can't really speak to the enrollment issue you describe without knowing all the circumstances.  Based on my own experience, I  don't think that a social security number is required to enroll in MCSD.  I agree that there is a space for it on the forms, but there are spaces for lots of information not strictly required (just as an example, parent(s) work phone numbers).

Marcia Andrew
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2010 at 1:46pm

Only in Middletown--Wildwood Elementary is not in Academic Watch.  That building was rated in Continuous Improvement. They made AYP (Adequate Yearly Progress, a federal measure).

The rating of a student's home school building cannot be used by another school district to refuse enrollment to that child.  Districts either have open enrollment from outside the district, or they do not.   Within the Middletown school district, there is open enrollment -- any child in Middletown can apply to attend any of the elementary schools, and requests are considered based on space available at the grade level.  To the extent that a building is in School Improvement status (which is different than the Academic Watch, Continuous Improvement rankings), then federal law says that child actually has preference to transfer to another elementary school within the district that is not in School Improvement status.

According to the official numbers on the state report card, last school year 22.3% of Wildwood's students were limited English proficient (in other words, in the English as a Second Language program). I don't have a breakdown of their scores compared to the rest of the students.

Marcia Andrew
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2010 at 1:17pm

"

Bocephus--why do you assume that the students whose first language is Spanish are illegal immigrants? One of the students mentioned in the article is from Puerto Rico, part of the United States.

Marcia Andrew"

Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the United States,I have worked with several Puerto Ricans through out the years most were hard working and proud of their culture.Nothing against Hispanics or the school system program.Just wish that our Government would do its job and enforce the laws we have on immigration.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2010 at 12:59pm
Mrs. Andrews while we are on the subject can you explain this to me.A few years ago when my wife and youngest daughter were at middletown high school in the guidance counsler office waiting to talk to her counsler about class schedule there was a hispanic student enrolling for classes and they had to bring the spanish teacher down to the office to translate to him and whomever was with him a relative non parent.

They  were told that his parents would have to sign a legal document so that this young man could live with relatives and attend middletown high school, in the course of the office staff getting the necessary forms (in spanish) for his parents to sign my wife overheard one of the staff members tell the other staff member not to worry about the form for his social security number because he didnt need one to enroll.Why did my children need their social security numbers to enroll and this person did not?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2010 at 1:46pm
Ms. Andrew- I simply stated that the grant money came from the taxpayer. Didn't make any difference what the level of government considered. I accused you of nothing.

The Hispanic dinner is a social event, not necessarily an educational one as it applies to classroom instruction and improving the test scores/overall upgrading of the education process. Yes, it has value. Yes, it promotes cultural enrichment. No, it doesn't add to the basic academic issues in the classroom that need so much attention to improve upon.

Good to know that the taxpayers aren't paying for this special event.

"improvement, but not yet enough to move up a rank"- We know. The record has had a skip in it since the 70's. It is still playing that one chord in the song and is getting a little repetitious in nature. Good to know the reasons for the slow improvement times just keep coming. Look forward every year when the proficiency tests are reported, the "5 of 30" indicator areas are reported and the school continuous improvement is reported, to hear the reasons given for the lack of progress. Like many in this town, I'm hoping to hear someday the reasons why we did it instead of the reasons why we couldn't do it, that's all.

Not complaining about this outreach effort at Wildwood. Just asking some questions from a taxpayer's perception. When will you learn to see this side of the fence, Ms. Andrew? You seem to have the school board/education community defense down pat. Where is the concerted effort to learn the citizens point of view from not only you, but the rest of the school board and the entire educational community? You seem to be on a one-way street. I thought the school board was suppose to consider both sides of the fence.
onlyinMiddletown View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onlyinMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2010 at 1:40pm
Mrs. Andrew, isn't it true that Wild Wood is in an academic watch state, and parents have no being able to enroll their children in other school districts because of that?

And if this is the case with Wild Wood, is the academic watch due to all non English speaking students causing the test scores to be lower than those out other schools?
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2010 at 1:13pm
Vet--I didn't say that federal grant funds is not taxpayer money. Of course it is.  I was answering a question of where did the funding for ESOL programs come from.  It is not from local real estate taxes.  Federal grants have requirements as to how the money can be spent.  These particular funds were probably targeted for ESOL--in other words, we would not get the money unless we spent it on ESOL

Actually, as I mentioned in another post, we have had some level of success in some school buildings. 2 of our elementary buildings improved their rating to Effective (Mayfield and Central) for a total of 3 (Miller Ridge continued at Effective).  Other buildings showed improvement in some of the many measures on the report card, but not enough yet to move up a rank.  As the principals of both Mayfield and Central stated to the Journal last month, one of the reasons they attribute for their improved scores is their efforts to embrace the culture of their families.  There are obviously differences building to building, neighborhood to neighborhood.

The Hispanic dinner is an initiative at the building level, not a district effort. The idea started with the parents, and was supported by the principal and teachers.  I suspect that if the Rosa Parks community wanted to have an African culture celebration, and volunteered to provide the food and do all the work, the principal and teachers at Rosa Parks would support the effort.  Nobody is forcing anybody to participate. Finally, I think its pretty clear from the article that the dinner is funded by the parents and local businesses, not taxpayers.

I don't understand your criticisms of this outreach effort at Wildwood.  You often compain on this board that the Middletown school district is not doing anything different, anything to improve.  Then, when there is a story on one of the many things the district IS doing differently, you complain. 

Bocephus--why do you assume that the students whose first language is Spanish are illegal immigrants? One of the students mentioned in the article is from Puerto Rico, part of the United States.

Marcia Andrew
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2010 at 6:40am
Ms. Andrew, the use in the same sentence of the Middletown schools and the word success just doesn't compute with many people in this community. (Again, please reference the chart at the top of the one thread of proficiency test rankings)

The English second language programs are funded by fed grant money, again, originally coming from the taxpayer. Doesn't matter if it's fed, state of local, it still originates in our wallets.

"Research, best practices at successful schools, and Middletown's own experience all suggest that two important elements to successful schools are engaged students and engaged parents"- Again, the use of success and the use of Middletown's own experience don't tie together at this time. Is that Middletown's success in the past- say 40 years ago? You can't mean recent success because it hasn't happened in the last 30+ years since the slide in performance in the 70's.

My question about the Hispanic dinner is this. I don't care if Wildwood is inundated with Hispanics and I am not concerned with the "embracing" thing you mention. It is a dinner celebrating the Hispanic culture. That's fine, but why is this the only culture dinner celebrated in the school district? Where is the Rosa Parks African culture celebration? How about a dinner celebrating the Germans, Irish, etc? If we are teaching the parents and kids about culture appreciation, shouldn't we do it for all cultures to be fair and impartial about it? Why is just the Hispanic culture singled out for this? That's all. Oh, and is this cultural dinner celebration funded with private donations or taxpayer money? If taxpayer money, where in the tight budget did you find the funds?
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2010 at 7:59pm
"Most English as a second language programs are paid for out of federal grant funds"

I guess that means that no hard working taxpayer has to pay to educate illegal immigrants?

Just because its federal money does not mean that we do not have to pay for it!

If only the United States government would do thier job and secure our borders we would not have this problem.

Any one else sick of pressing 1 for English ? And seeing Spanish signs at local stores?
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2010 at 1:34pm
Thank you for stopping by Mrs. Andrew, I really appreciate the fact that you come here and clear things up and answer questions. I have sent an email to the new superintendent hoping to get an email interview, but have yet t o hear back from him. I am sure the people of MUSA and the community would love to hear his thoughts on a few subjects. Anyway you can help me with this?
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2010 at 1:22pm
MCSD is a public school district. We are required by law to educate every Middletown child who walks through the doors.  We are required by No Child Left Behind to provide instruction and resources so that each child is able to test "proficient" on the state tests, no matter their abilities or disabilities.  A child who cannot speak English is going to need extra help both learning how to speak English, and becoming comfortable enough with the language to pass the state tests. To offer no special services, and just throw the kid into a regular class with a teacher and other students who speak only a language the kid does not understand, would not be a very effective way to achieve proficiency.  Which would lower the scores for the building and the whole district.

Most English as a second language programs are paid for out of federal grant funds.

Research, best practices at successful schools, and Middletown's own experience all suggest that two important elements to successful schools are engaged students and engaged parents. Embracing the culture of a very large percentage of the students of the particular school building, and inviting the parents to share that with the rest of the school community, is a good way to engage both students and parents.  The Hispanic dinner is not done at every school, just Wildwood Elementary, where the largest percentage concentration of Hispanic students attend.

Marcia Andrew
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2010 at 12:45pm
I agree Spider, give these kids the best education we can in this poor school system. What can it hurt. I dont care if English is their second language or their third as long a s they can speak it.
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2010 at 11:38am
They are already here, though as mentioned, not in the same force as a few years ago. No work and the county sheriff's vendetta caused many to leave.
Might as well give the children the best education possible.
Most of the Hispanics that I have encountered are honest and friendly people.
We can make it hard for them, or try to make it a good relationship of unity.

It's not like the Hispanics have anything to do with our local situations and negative image.
We dumb ole white people have mucked this up bad enough on our own.

Hey--they will probably make this city better, and supply our next work force.
I don't think that you will find many of them on Section 8.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2010 at 10:43am

599 out of 612 ??!!! Thats sad.

I agree with Vet,english should be the primary & spanish secondary. ¿Cómo está ? Buenos días señor.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Nick_Kidd View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2010 at 10:18am
Vet, you have to understand that non-english speaking Hispanics were going to be the newest excuse for the failure of the school system. When they realized that we had very few Hispanics (most had left Middletown, saying that if they were going to live in third-world conditions under a totally corrupt government they would have stayed south of the border.) This new effort is to attract Hispanics so they won't have to change their game plan. After all, our schools are proud of being #599 out of 612 school districts and scoring nearly 17% on the state tests.
Government is not the answer to problems, government is the problem.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2010 at 7:17am
Read today in the Journal where there is a group of Spanish speaking tutors teaching Hispanic students English. They anticipate increased participation in the program in the future. Wildwood Elementary is the only location for this program. Wildwood has 12 tutors, Rosa Parks and Mayfield each have one. The students are taking English AS A SECOND LANGUAGE. No, I say, if you choose to live in this country, English should never be considered the second language. The primary language is the language spoken in the country in which you reside out of sheer necessity if nothing else. Learn it.

Question: How are the tutors paid? Is it taxpayer money being used? Why not charge the parents for this special program that is out of the normal curriculum and include the parents for paying for it. It is done for the purpose of transitioning the students from Spanish (taught and maintained at home) to English, so that they will be able to function in this country.

Question: The teachers are incorporating Spanish culture into their lesson plans for the month. Are they doing this for any other culture? A Hispanic dinner is planned on Oct. 14. Why the specific focus on only this culture. Aren't they going a bit overboard on the catering to this specific group of people? Is there just as much emphasis on education for the rest of the students who aren't Hispanic? Seems as if the school people are going a tad bit out of their way to emphasize this small segment of our society. JMO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic