FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New MJ Beat Writer For Middletown??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Merrell Wood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merrell Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New MJ Beat Writer For Middletown??
    Posted: Oct 18 2009 at 10:22pm
Wasteful, The Journal does not do investigative reporting. Only big city newpapers can afford to do that type of thing.... He would have to be specifically assigned to do that kind of reporting by his editor. Fat chance. 

With ony "one" general news reporter such as Richter covering all the news that's "fit to print" in this town, I'm surprised he covers as much as he does. Check out the time of day/night that he files his storys. He's asked me a number of very pointed question on a variety of issues, even what goes on at the Park Board, if you can beleave that. I stand by my viewpoint.... he's a "just the facts please" kind of reporter because that's what his editor expect him to be.

Randy, yes it is a promotion.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2009 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by randy randy wrote:

I was informed today by someone I trust, it is a promation that has Ed leaving us. HAs anyone else heard this?
I once displeased my boss and was given a transfer and a promotion.

Have you ever been to Moosejaw, Saskatchewan?
LOL LOL
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2009 at 8:11pm
I was informed today by someone I trust, it is a promation that has Ed leaving us. HAs anyone else heard this?
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2009 at 5:00pm
Merrell doing some invesatigative reporting into the issues of Middletown, like indeth interviews, asking pointed questions, etc., is what Journalism is all about.  No one has asked Richter to go to dinner with the family.  People expect someone from a Newspaper to actually do reporting and not just regurgitating what appears on TVMiddltown or in a press release.
Nelson R. Self View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2009 at 12:22pm
Miss Vivian -

You're correct that the Middletown Historic Preservation Society should use some of the $1,000,000 in their "George Crout Memorial Trust Fund" to purchase the Finkelman owned Sorg Mansion? ConfusedConfused

This way taxpayer-generated HUD Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP-1) funds ($2,144,000) could be spent on their intended use - RESIDENTIAL FORECLOSURE PREVENTION! AngryAngry
Merrell Wood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merrell Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2009 at 12:21pm
Ed Richter is being transfered to the Warren County bureau. His replacement is coming from the Oxford Press and will begin the first week in November. In my opinion he is one of the most professional journalist I've ever met. He understands that in order to keep his objectivity he must keep his distence from any personal relationships with those he writes about.  Alway formal in the proper way.  Just the fact's please..
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2009 at 12:01pm
I think any of you could do a good job. The journal needs less bias in its reporting. Everything in the world isn't always rosy. By pointing things our, we at least advance our city toward a rosier life here in Middletown.

Citizen reporters are the future of all new journalism. Just ask Ariana Huffington. We are those citizen reporters. With our cameras, our information and our opinions about all things Middletown.

That's the future of news in our town in my opinion.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2009 at 11:55am
Spider a 1st year Journalism student could cover Middletown as long as he doesn't have To ask any questions.  The problem with Richter is he goes to a Controversial Council meetings then basically regurgitates what was said at the meeting and does absolutely no questioning of Council, City Admin................zilch.  There is no followup as to why the Council is moving in the direction it is.  There is no questioning of Council or Admin as to the Citizens concerns raised on this board or at meetings.  I mean there is nothing.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2009 at 10:05am
I think that losing Mr.Richter is a loss because he pretty much knows what is happening locally. I don't know anyone else on staff who has the awareness to accurately cover our key issues. So look for the municipal press releases to be published as fact.  Maybe bring back Greber or Wells?

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2009 at 9:16am
Good points from all. I also quit taking the Journal a couple of years ago after having taken it for so many years when it was more "hometown" news, run and reported by "hometown" people. Now, the Journal contains nothing but out-of-town news that no one cares about, or, if the story is about Middletown, is written with no investigative style, gives only one side (usually the city's positions on things), has numerous mistakes with grammar and spelling and has the appearance of being controlled by the city government. During election time, they will automatically endorse the incumbant power candidates and will ALWAYS use the excuse that the challenger has no experience, forgetting that the incumbant had to start with no experience when they entered the political arena. Very predictable. I still listen to WLW on my way to work each morning. The Jim Scott show has an informational/news format and is really not that political. On the other hand, I have had enough of the Cunnigham's, the Mike McConnell's, and the Darrell Park's shows on that station. Way too lopsided as to opinion and hardly objective. These shows, and WLW in general, are so far to the conservative right, even if you try to call into their shows, you have no chance of presenting your side of any given debate. The only people they talk at length to are the ones that agree with them. I really don't know how I would react if I met Cunningham face to face. Probably go to jail for assault. What an a--. McConnell comes across like an egotistical horses a-- also. Have no use for these people.
Dooraghero View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dooraghero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2009 at 8:36am
It is regrettable that true journalism has died an agonzing death.  It has now become but biased opinion masquerading as fact.  This is indeed a dangerous time in American history.  A free press is essential for a free people.  That means the press must be unbiased and adherestrictly to the Who/What/Why/When/Where/How format of journalism.  The press, be it local or national must be free of special interests, agendas, and government control if ours is to remain a nation of liberty and individual freedom.
Would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance,just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives but they'll never take our FREEDOM
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2009 at 8:25am
A lot of our Media Outlets (specifically Newspapers and Radio) of late have been hijacked by major advertisers to the point that they are no longer reliable sources for info. Revenues needs for these continually declining businesses have removed any form of fairness or accuracy from them. They do what they are TOLD.

I quit taking the Journal a few years ago when my many emails (about factual errors in stories I happened to have first hand knowledge of) were finally answered by the Writer who apologized and said He had to write what he was told to write.

I quit listening to WLW radio for the same reason. It has become one long commercial for what ever issue the power brokers want pushed.

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 10:54pm
Viet Vet -

Once again, in late January of this year I met with Ed Richter at his request at Pisanello's Pizza in Franklin for lunch.  He also invited his boss, Kevin Aldridge.

At this two hour meeting I answered a number of questions, presented problems involving past HUD funded activities and helped to clarify notes that Ed had compiled over a number of months.

It was at this meeting that Ed told Mr. Aldridge that I was "RAILROADED" by the City of Middletown.  I was also told that the Middletown Journal would shortly be publishing an expose on how I was forced out of my position.

Three weeks after this meeting Rosa Lean Lindsey, a member of the now-defunct HUD Consolidated Planning Committee asked Mr. Aldridge when the expose on me would be published.  She told me that his response was, "within a couple of additional weeks."

None of these promises ever materialized!
Nelson Self
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 8:42pm
I know, How about Auntie Ann! Then we citizens will see nothing but unicorns and rainbows!LOL
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 8:12pm
Talked to Ed at the Highview Elementary school Council/School Board meeting last month. He wasn't happy with us at all. He was upset that we thought he wasn't reporting "accurately" shall we say. Personally, I'd like to see old Marty Kohler take over as the beat writer for the Journal along with his city duties. Boy, he'd sure give us the straight poop on what's happening in the city. Why, you could just hang on his every word and treat it as the gospel! How about a week to week "guest" writer selected from the MMF'ers? We are always seeking the truth and who speaks the truth better than the power folks. Anyone agree?
da120757 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da120757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 7:35pm

Is Ed being asked to leave because he has talked to Ms Vivian too much about the cemetery issues?

randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 10:30pm

I heard this same thing tonight from a good source I have, I believe it to be true. No word on who will re place him.

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 9:24pm
Rumor has it that Eddie Richter may be transferred from Middletown to the Warren County beat by the MJ?  If so, who will replace him?

If this rumor is true, I hope and pray that the new beat writer will finally unveil the true story of waste and mismanagement of HUD funds in Middletown?
Nelson Self
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic