FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

River Center

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: River Center
    Posted: Mar 05 2016 at 11:56am

Posted: 9:11 a.m. Friday, March 4, 2016

River Center moving forward in Middletown

By Ed Richter

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN 

After months of research and discussion, a location has been chosen for the future River Center in Middletown.

The $1 million project that will serve as a hub for those who walk, run and bike along the Great Miami River Recreation Trail will be built on the southern part of the Bicentennial Commons park area, according to MetroParks of Butler County.

The project’s funding is included as part of Ohio’s capital budget for projects that serve as an economic stimulus, said Kelly Barkley of MetroParks.

The location of the River Center will allow trail users to access businesses in resurgent downtown Middletown, she said.

This new addition to the local landscape is adjacent to the nine-mile section of the GMRRT, a bicycle and pedestrian path that runs parallel to the river and is managed by MetroParks under an agreement with the city of Middletown and Miami Conservancy District, according to Barkley.

The facility will include public restrooms in addition to meeting and educational spaces. It will also serve as a home base for the new MetroParks volunteer Trail Ambassador Program that will kick off this fall. The building will also house a sub-station for MetroParks Department of Public Safety and Law Enforcement staff.

“We will be working with MetroParks to ensure that the new River Center adds to the recreational opportunities available in Middletown, while preserving the historical and recreational amenities already in place at Bicentennial Commons,” City Manager Doug Adkins said. “We hope to create a bike path in the future between the River Center and downtown so that people visiting the River Center from all over the region can take a break and see the exciting progress we’ve made in reviving downtown.”

Discussions are still ongoing with the Miami Conservancy District and the city regarding MetroParks’ role in operating the northern section of Bicentennial Commons that includes AK Pavilion, Memorial Pavers, the Historic Middletown Timeline and the Flagpole Plaza, Barkley said.

The River Center will “provide a stopping point for visitors and allow them to experience what Middletown has to offer,” said Rick Pearce, president/CEO of The Chamber of Commerce Serving Middletown, Monroe and Trenton

“As weather permits, more people come to Middletown to walk or bike the trail and it is our hope that the River Center will become the focal point for our portion of the Great Miami River Recreation Trail,” he said “This is a great asset and we are excited that plans are underway for its construction.”

Final costs and a construction start date will be determined once building plans are finalized.

The project was previously delayed when issues arose with the land titles because part of the river has moved about 1,000 feet since the Great Flood of 1913.

409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2016 at 1:31pm
Every morning is the dawn of a new error...
da120757 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da120757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2016 at 7:38am
I can see it now...  Taken over by Drug dealers, prostitutes and the homeless of Middletown.  Why waste the money??
middielover View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middielover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2016 at 7:44am
You people kill me.
Nothing that happens in Middletown is seen as a positive.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2016 at 8:21am
Originally posted by middielover middielover wrote:

You people kill me.
Nothing that happens in Middletown is seen as a positive.

Let's go through this so that even the most optimistic, like middielover seems to be, can understand this. It is not complicated and it is what it is no matter how great the denial.

1. It is a known fact, even by the most optimistic, that there are prostitutes who are concentrated in the downtown area. We know this because the police do occasional roundups of them and their pictures appear in the Journal when they do. There is a chance that they will use this facility to "freshen up" and meet the clientele.

2. It is a known fact, even by the most optimistic, that there are homeless around the downtown area, concentrated primarily around the West Middletown bridge, Bicentennial Commons area and behind the Hope House area. We know this because there have been stories published by the Journal relating to this activity. There is a chance the homeless will use the facility to refresh themselves.

3. It is a known fact, even..........., that there are drug deals, dealers and users in certain part of the downtown. There have been stories published about the drug activity in the downtown area as well. This facility has a chance of being a focal point for drug activity.

4. We also know that there is talk about relocating Hope House, known for lodging the homeless and those looking for a place to sleep at night. Hope House is located in proximity to this new proposed building. Because of the proximity, we could assume that those not able to get into Hope House, will make this new building the new gathering place because it offers some shelter, restrooms and other amenities not offered on the streets and under bridge overpasses.

Logically, because of the situation mentioned above, we could come to the conclusion that, sooner or later, this new building will attract people who have a different type of need than the intended "jogger, bicycle rider, path walker" usage this building was designed to serve. It has the potential to become a gathering point for drug buying and using with medic runs for OD's on the horizon.

I ask middielover......given the listed propositions for the outcome of this building, what are the positives that would counterbalance the negatives listed here?

Now, do you see where "nothing that happens in Middletown is seen as a positive" originates?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2016 at 9:17am
hey middielover--I am fine with it
the river is a prime location for activity, especially on the opposite side---everyone can use and enjoy it. As long as it is owned and managed by the COUNTY, it should be fine. I enjoy walking, and the river(particularly the Franklin walk) is very enjoyable.

Makes more sense than the city Admin's action in the former downtown area, subsidizing their mutual admiration society cronies and enablers imo

bring it on!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2016 at 10:10am
Middielover
Downtowners do a great deal of talking about hearing other points of view, yet it sometimes shocks Downtownwers to learn that there are other points of view.

I'm not against this project...however I too have concerns about future problems at this location. Hopefully it will be well managed and cared for by the county.

over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2016 at 11:35am
I think this project COULD be a good thing. If they do what they say about placing a law enforcement satellite there. That might be a good deterrent with the druggies and prostitutes. And as stated keep city council out of it. JMO
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middielover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2016 at 8:54am
Moon and Vet

I do not happen to be a "downtowner" but you always seem to look for what is "bad" or what could "go wrong".

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2016 at 9:49am

Moon and Vet

I do not happen to be a "downtowner" but you always seem to look for what is "bad" or what could "go wrong".

I won't speak for Vivian but will give my 2 cents on this.

middielover- There is a long history within the pages of this very forum documenting the ideas, the execution of those ideas and the failures of those ideas. The frequency of failures is undeniable. This city, over the last 3-4 decades, has a reputation of developing an idea, finding funding for those ideas (most of the time coming from that infamous, secretive, voodoo financed general fund) with the final result usually being a failure as to quality of work, an over-confidence of interest from the public, or a complete breakdown from conception to attempted completion of any project.

Here are some examples of what I mean.....

1. Duncan Oil/Office Outfitters/ Railroad Station/ Gas station area

The city knocked down the area formerly known as Jack's Rec Center and the gas station next to the railroad depot. When the high speed rail line was thought to come through Middletown, the city leaders envisioned this connection between commuters getting off the train and going to their precious downtown area as a stimulation to get their downtown going. They also had a convenience store lined up for the vacant lot that stands today at the railroad tracks on Central Ave. A lot of money wasted producing nothing to date.

2. Bicentennial Commons/ Lake Middletown area

The AK stage at Bicentennial Commons have been used less than 5 times to date. Lake Middletown is a muddy hole in the river with major over growth to date. They paved a parking lot at city expense down there in anticipation of major usage and no one uses it to my knowledge. More money wasted.

3. City Centre Mall in the 70's

Went nowhere. Not developed. No interest from the public. Millions to build. 13 million to tear it all back down to open up the Central Ave/ Broad St hub for downtown.

4. River Center....has to potential for spending a lot of money with little/negative results just like the three mentioned above.

THAT's why I am just a tad bit gun shy on any projects that occur in this city. Certainly looks nice by the drawing. Certainly has the best intentions. Using what we already know about that area of town, with the prostitutes, drug usage, misc. crime and the homeless element, it MAY become a haven for those that it was not intended to serve. That's all I'm saying here. Negative? Yep. Reason for the negativity......history and the likelihood of things going wrong in a city that lacks any common sense in it's leadership and just can't seem to find a way to do things right most of time.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Analytical View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2016 at 11:44am
Thumbs Up
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2016 at 12:14pm

Moon and Vet

middielover, just happened to think of another example for you in case three aren't enough.

How about the city using money to purchase the Thatcher estate buildings and turning them over to Cincy State for their campus building concept. The old CG&E building, still with some floors not occupied after several years and an initial projected enrollment of 5000 in five years and, as of today, has yet to reach close to 1000. The buildings were suppose to give the college a boost with the end result being to increase foot traffic in their downtown area so that that traffic could support the arts, restaurants and other businesses down there. Hasn't happened as the 600 attending the college don't offer much foot traffic at all, with most, I suspect being on-line students, nowhere close to downtown Middletown.

The city also gave to the college, the old Senior's Center which has yet to be occupied.

How about the old Journal building that was suppose to be apartments by now. Didn't happen did it. No surprise here.

Even the crowned jewel, the PAC, has revolving door tenants and a semi-successful result.

The cabinet place on Central with the shady non-bidding arrangement. This isn't exactly on the positive list of happenings in their downtown.

The Studio Theatre standing in limbo for decades with no solution in sight.

The Rose Furniture building fiasco and 350 thou gone somewhere, who knows.

Again, to support my claim that everything the city touches turns sour, this is yet another example of futility at it's best in their downtown plans. They bulldozed the former service station on Main for additional parking for the college which isn't needed with the anemic enrollment numbers. They gave the Manchester Hotel away, part of the Thatcher deal, for a buck, after advertising it for 200 thou or so on asking price, and it is still sitting there empty. They gave another building away to Sue Wittman for her arts program that has yielding minimal results to date.

See the pattern here? Money spent......nothing gained.......every time.
itsamee View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsamee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2016 at 1:59pm
Vet:  
How about the city using money to purchase the Thatcher estate buildings and turning them over to Cincy State for their campus building concept...  -- Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Cincy State is still there, still growing, just slower. You have to take a risk at times. However, the foot traffic HAS increased downtown. You might want to go down there on a Friday night or Saturday, get a coffee at Triple Moon and Have a meal at Murphey's landing. 

The city also gave to the college, the old Senior's Center which has yet to be occupied - See above.

How about the old Journal building that was suppose to be apartments by now. Didn't happen did it. No surprise here.  - How is that the cities fault?  Also, things take longer sometimes.  

Even the crowned jewel, the PAC, has revolving door tenants and a semi-successful result.  -- That happens at all PAC's.  Artists are not known to stay in one place forever.  However, there is still a lot of foot traffic to and from that place. 

The cabinet place on Central with the shady non-bidding arrangement. This isn't exactly on the positive list of happenings in their downtown. -- ? The white building?  At least it has a stable tenant?  

The Studio Theatre standing in limbo for decades with no solution in sight. -- I concede this one. That sucker needs to be torn down.

The Rose Furniture building fiasco and 350 thou gone somewhere, who knows. -- They need to lean on those owners to make it safe or tear it down. Concede again. 

Again, to support my claim that everything the city touches turns sour, this is yet another example of futility at it's best in their downtown plans. They bulldozed the former service station on Main for additional parking for the college which isn't needed with the anemic enrollment numbers. They gave the Manchester Hotel away, part of the Thatcher deal, for a buck, after advertising it for 200 thou or so on asking price, and it is still sitting there empty. They gave another building away to Sue Wittman for her arts program that has yielding minimal results to date.  --  With many cities, these actions are similar. You give the old buildings away for next to nothing because you dont want them sitting there not being used. Sometimes you get a good return, sometimes you dont. 

I would argue that nothing is neither as good, nor as bad as this forum likes to make it.  There has been an uptick in traffic downtown, true.  It is not yet to the levels they want, but it has increased. The city should be getting rid of buildings when they can, but when you do not have a lot of people to choose from, sometimes you gotta take a bigger risk.  
Itsa me, mario!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2016 at 2:56pm
itsamee- I will avoid a full blown argument with you and will just disagree with your answers to my comments. You must have a vested interest in what goes on down there. You are a much kinder/gentler judge of what is transpiring downtown than I am. You also have more patience than I do on results versus money spent in a reasonable amount of time. Just for the record, how much time is too much time to wait for the downtown supporters to see progress? They act like they started their redevelopment plans yesterday when they talk about giving it some more time.

IMO, the downtown hasn't made enough progress in the decade taken of trying to make it a crowned jewel. What they are doing down there with the art and fru fru and the fact that they take one step forward and two steps back sours me on any support for them. This ain't a "Yellow Springs academia/cultural" type of town. It's still a blue collar steel town albeit a downsized one.

I am always amazed to hear the downtown supporters call what is a lump of coal a diamond ring when defending their downtown. Some are so blinded by their desire to see it successful they let their dreams get in the way of seeing reality.

By the way, you don't use taxpayer money buying dilapidate buildings to give to the friends of city hall. Blatant misuse of city money.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middielover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2016 at 7:19am
The past was bad therefore the future must be bad.
We cannot move forward until clock is rewound and all past mistakes have been rectified.

By

Moon, Vet, Spider et al
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2016 at 8:37am
obviously u can't speak for me(or probably anyone else), middielover, because you twist my words to your convenience.

My past here has been wonderful
my limited future here will be fine
I can make this place work for me

as long as your beloved former downtown area is beginning to show life(and it is as we move in to warmer weather), the town is fine in your opinion. We all make mistakes and would like "do-overs".

Silly to blame those here for very expensive choices made by the Donham bunker over decades costing millions of OUR $$. Maybe channel your attacks and negativisms in a more relevant direction?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2016 at 8:38am
middielover......

a little twist on your statement.....

How about the past was terrific until the 70's when the late 70's to current city leaders started to run things therefore the future must be questionable at best until proven otherwise.

We cannot move forward until the current leaders start doing things differently and with some competence and all major issues have been rectified that have been created by past/current leaders.

By Vet
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2016 at 3:33pm
Another little twist???

How about if they just stop insisting upon making the same mistakes over and over again???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2016 at 7:57am
Middielover
I don't care what happens in the Downtown Dream Area as long as it does not involve taxpayers money.
If you want to gamble..do it on your own dime.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic