FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

5-year plan for Middletown on track

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5-year plan for Middletown on track
    Posted: Jun 07 2015 at 11:38am

Posted: 11:00 a.m. Sunday, June 7, 2015

City manager: 5-year plan for Middletown on track

By Ed Richter

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN 

There something to be said about making a plan, working the plan and staying on the plan.

Last year, when Doug Adkins was in the running to become Middletown’s next city manager, he presented a five-year, 120-page conceptual plan to City Council with the goal of bringing the city back to prosperity in a sustainable fashion.

As Adkins nears the end of his first year, he said the job has pretty much been as he expected it would be, and that he hasn’t deviated very much from his plan to reach that goal.

“I knew we were coming off of the recession, and I got the benefit of an improving economy. But I also told council where I intended to go and what I intended to do,” Adkins said. “When I brought things to council that were consistent with the plan, they gave me the cooperation they told me they would give me.”

A former Vandalia city councilman, Adkins, 52, understands the needs of council members from their perspective. He said council has been kept in the loop, adding they are getting continuous information to make decisions starting the next day after a council meeting.

In addition, his knowledge of the city from the past 11 years as a city prosecutor and the community revitalization director has made him aware of the many issues facing Middletown and helped to focus in on a number of different initiatives such as working with the city’s landlords organization to collaborate in developing a chronic nuisance ordinance.

So far, he said there have not been any surprises, and the focus of his first year was gathering information and putting the pieces back together.

“That’s been the pleasant part of the job,” he said. “You have a plan, and it’s doing what you thought it would. You don’t want any surprises.”

While he hasn’t had any surprises, Adkins said there have been several challenges in implementing some culture and organizational changes.

“It’s not been a cake walk,” he said. “It’s a lot of hard work. The biggest challenge has been pushing the organization and pushing the city forward at a pace that everyone can stay on board with. You have people who want to fix Middletown on Thursday, and you can’t fix Middletown on Thursday.’

Adkins said there were a number of things that need to be worked on ranging from deferred maintenance projects to working to raise property values.

“It’s going to take big, big swings of the pendulum that need to happen, and you can’t fix those on the fly,” Adkins said.

He said inside city hall, employees have gone several years without a pay raise and have endured budget and personnel cuts, and there is a frustration in the community and in the organization that everyone wants to get things better, quicker than is realistically possible.

While culture change is difficult and needs to be done incrementally, Adkins has also faced the challenges of mistrust in government at all levels. He said the key to changing the culture both inside and outside of the City Building is to be consistent in what is said, what is done and doing what you say you’re going to do.

That was one reason Adkins created “The Middletown Way,” an internal program that teaches city employees how they should treat the public, why it’s important and why the employees should take pride in what they do.

In addition, Adkins has been working to make city government more transparent by making city finances available to view online, posting the progress of city departments in reaching their goals, and working to ensure city government is more accessible and as inclusive as possible.

Adkins said he has been available to organizations throughout the community and city departments are also reaching out into the community to interact with residents and providing the opportunity to get updates or more information on issues. Some of those efforts include meetings on race relations in the community as well as the heroin summits that have been held several times in recent months.

Breaking down some barriers when things did not go right, such as last summer’s incident with the Unity Picnic with the fireworks in the South End when the city did not have a good line of communication open.

“We had a crisis there and to open that up, look at it, admit our mistakes which is something we’re often not inclined to do as a government and continue the dialogue beyond the incident past the incident,” Adkins said. “It’s one thing to say we dealt with this and turn your back and move back to what you were doing. We’ve talked to Pernell Huff and the organizers of the Unity gathering four or five times over the last year. We’re probably going to partner with them in some way with this year’s event and have a police presence and a fire presence there. Hopefully, it will be in a more positive manner than we had last year.”

Huff, founder of the Unity Gathering, told the Journal-News that Adkins has been doing a good job and called him “a stand-up guy.”

“That (last year’s Unity event) didn’t pan out that well then,” Huff said. “But I think he’s done a lot of things to improve (relationships). I’ve seen him at various community events, and he said he’s going to be there this year.”

Some of those changes Adkins has implemented include a restructuring of the city administration that included the public safety department as well as the leadership changes in the police and fire divisions; adding another assistant economic development director; providing more funding for economic development as well as for quality of life programming, such as a fireworks display on July 3 at Smith Park.

Adkins also said the city has seen a drop in crime for the first quarter of 2015; the announcement of the new AK Steel Research and Innovation Center; the opening of the Burlington store at the slowly reviving Towne Mall; a new luxury apartment complex being constructed on the East End; some infrastructure improvements; buildings being renovated and several new businesses opening downtown. A long list of deferred maintenance projects has been prioritized so action can be taken quickly once funding becomes available in the coming years.

“We need to put the pieces into play in a positive way,” he said. “Now it’s just putting the pieces together and take them in order of what, how and in a reasonable time frame.”

Going into year two, Adkins said there will be more focus on how to address a number of those issues, with some being resolved quickly and others over a longer period of time.

Mayor Larry Mulligan and Vice Mayor Joe Mulligan declined to share specifics on Adkins’s performance, but Joe Mulligan said he was “very pleased” with his first-year progress.

“He recognizes the challenges we face, and also sees the great opportunities we have as a city government to improve our community… Doug has set some aggressive goals, and the department heads and staff members are working hard to achieve those goals. We have seen and will continue to see the effect of those efforts in the months and years to come,” he said.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2015 at 8:38pm
So, assessing this article about Adkins plan, I read that the city has many problems, Adkins is attempting to fix them, and he mentions many things that need attention and he wishes to address.

I also find there is a bit of irony to this plan of his as he was present and a part of the Gilleland administration that helped create some of these problems. Working on crime, the increase seen as a result of inviting all the dregs of society to participate in the lowering of image, status, income and basically taken a middle class town and trashed it into a lower class ghetto. Same reason the property values have steadily decreased during the pre/post Gilleland years.

No, save your praises for another time. This guy has a long way to go before this town sees the light of day on becoming relevant and respected. He shouldn't receive credit for any upgrades when it was he and others who took it to the gutter in the first place. It is not like he just showed up and inherited all of these problems. Eleven years is sufficient time to have contributed to the carnage.

The man knew that what he was doing to this city was wrong and now is trying to make it right. His "5 year plan" wouldn't have been needed if the city was run right to begin with. Current/past council/city hall ignorance has made the town a shambles. Now, we are all paying for the devastating decisions that have been made the last 20+ years. To find the answer to the demise of the city, councils and city officials need look no further than the nearest available mirror.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Dean View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2015 at 9:44pm
Someone posted this city council hired a city manager that would implement their plans, not sit back and review what the city manager set forth.  Another poor article by The Journal providing nothing. What is it up to now, 517 local articles more than the Cincinnati Enquirer and everyone just a total waste of space.The Middletown Way---City employees, your paycheck is paid by companies, education, hospital, and residents, so if you don't like it, leave the position. That bonus is coming in July for DA, but no one doubted it. It would be such a pleasant change for a higher bar, but 'below expectation' is so routinely accepted.  Business as usual, as expected. 
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2015 at 9:58am
Oh,he'll get his bonus alright. That's a sure thing. He as lots of ideas for the city so do we on this blog but he's a long way from implementing them. JMO
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2015 at 2:19pm
5 year plans seem like a throwback to 1950's era USSR. Didn't they always have a 5 year plan that they said was "on track"?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic