FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mayor plus 2 other seats!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mayor plus 2 other seats!!!
    Posted: May 19 2015 at 9:02pm

Middletown cannot begin to improve until there is change at City Hall.  For our fair city to have any chance at all, this change must start with city council, and many believe that it must start this November 3rd, Election Day.

The Mayor’s seat and two other council seats (that is THREE out of FIVE total) will be up for grabs that day, but I say that “the change” must begin far earlier than November 3rd

I say that the change must begin NOW!!!  It must begin with civic-minded citizens finding capable, honest, incorruptible candidates and encouraging them to run for one of these three seats. 

Middletown City Charter (Article I, Section 4) states that the petition shall be filed with the Board of Elections of Butler County at least seventy-five days prior to such election. 

This means that potential candidates have until 4:00 pm Thursday, August 20, to pull petitions, gather signatures from registered voters within the City of Middletown, submit them to the County Board of Elections, and then mount a campaign against what will likely be a well-financed opposition backed by MMF.

The work must start now!

Talbot Moon, of Central Avenue, has already pulled his petitions.  Steve Bohannon, of Schirm Drive, has not only pulled petitions but also garnered enough signatures and had them certified by the board of elections.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2015 at 11:12pm
Steve Bohannon wins, and Larry Mulligan doesn't run. Two existing council members. Bohannon supported by LM, Picard, MMF, Pearce, etc. Yawn. No change.  
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2015 at 11:22am
We have to start somewhere so let's give Bohannon a shot. JMO
itsamee View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsamee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2015 at 12:34pm
Ill vote for both of them just to get the turnover. 
Itsa me, mario!
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2015 at 8:13pm
Sure lets vote Bohannon in. Great idea!!! Section 8 will continue to grow. At one time it was posted on here how many he owned. I think some thing like 100. Do you really think he will support a reduction? No....he is a greedy landlord just like all the others. His biggest contributor will probably be Dan Tracey who owns over 140 properties! I want this community to grow get better, remove section, and return the greatness that we use to have. I want the pride to return to our city, our streets to be repaired, and our safety protected. I don't want $25000.00 spent on fireworks!!! We don't have the funds. I would love to run for council, but I don't have the money nor the backing. Im just and ordinary guy who has lived here all his life and wants to see us all rise again. I would listen to the community and go against the norm. Vet and I have had our arguments to prove points and sometimes for fun. I believe I have the same desires for our town as he does.
MIDDPROUD View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIDDPROUD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2015 at 9:22pm
This is Steve Bohannon.  Smartman, I don't know where you get your information, but just to set the record straight, I only own 16 rental properties, 2 of which are duplexes.  

A few of my properties do have Section 8 tenants and most of them are women, either elderly, disabled or single women raising young children.  The rest of my units have people paying their own rent.  I am very selective of the people I put into my properties and run very thorough background checks on every applicant I consider.  I have more problems with the non-Section 8 tenants than the Section 8 tenants due to the fact that the Section 8 tenants have to follow rules and pass inspections that require them to maintain my properties and avoid criminal activity in order for them to stay on the program.  Non-Section 8 tenants tend to trash my houses more frequently and I have to stay on top of them to make sure that they mow the lawn and pick up their trash.  

All of my units are in good condition and not one of them is the eye sore of the neighborhood.  In fact, I'm in the process of renovating one of my properties both inside and out, and when it's finished, it will be the best looking house in the neighborhood.  

The houses that are in bad shape and seem to part of the "ghetto downing" of the city are either vacant properties that are owned by out-of-town investors or by homeowners who do not have the means to maintain their homes.  In my opinion, these issues and the heroin problem are the major contributors to the downfall of the city, not the Section 8 program.  

Middletown has had 1,662 vouchers for at least the last 15 years.  In the beginning, this large number of vouchers wasn't a problem because we had a thriving economy with all the jobs provided by AK Steel and the factories.  The number of owner occupied homes was at a much higher rate than it is today, so the Section 8 tenants were under the radar.   

I did not bring the Section 8 program to Middletown, nor do I care if it stays in Middletown.   I just do the best I can in whatever the circumstances are at the time to keep my properties rented.  It is a business, after all, and I do have to pay the bills, like the property taxes and paying to fix my properties again after non-Section 8 tenants leave.  

The problem we have in Middletown is the lack of high paying new jobs that will attract more affluent renters and homeowners.  New jobs would bring in new citizens, thereby increasing the tax base, which in turn would bolster the economy and allow for the city to make repairs to the roads and infrastructure, strengthen our police and fire departments, and maybe bring back some quality of life programs.

I live in Middletown, I have two businesses in Middletown and I, too, want our city to thrive and grow.  I want all of us to prosper and have pride in our community again.
middiemom View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middiemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2015 at 12:07am
Mr. Bohannon,you state that the section 8 program is not the problem facing Middletown. How far off and out of touch you are sir. Just ask the police chief and the fire chief who disproportionately uses the city services. They can lay maps over the city of the section 8 program and the highest rate of crimes per neighborhood and they almost match up perfectly. If the section 8 program is not a drain on Middletown then please explain why the Middletown police force has been conducting stings for months in these neighborhoods. You are simply trying to make a case for your run for an elected office. If you are so serious about this then give up your section 8 properties. If you are so serious about setting the record straight the city of  Middletown cannot have someone on council who will have such a clear conflict of interest when it comes to voting on matters relating to section 8.  You, and others, have helped to create this ghetto community. We cannot afford another Tony Marconi et al city council again. 

You state that Middletown has 1,662 section 8 vouchers. This is true. You failed to let everyone else know how many section 8 vouchers the rest of Butler county has. I believe it was just north of 360. Please be clear with the public when you state that Middletown has 1,662 section 8 vouchers that it doesn't mean only 1,662 people in this fair city live on section 8 vouchers. Oh no, how many of these people live in each domicile? 4? 5? So now we are talking about 1/8 of the population living on the section 8 program. Not to mention their degenerate friends that live with them. 

Please spare us from your sanctimonious rant about how only "a few" of your properties are section 8 and how  most of them are women, elderly,disabled, or single women raising children.  You're no saint. Middletown, please don't be fooled(again). 
Middletown... Bright past BRIGHTER FUTURE!!!
itsamee View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsamee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2015 at 11:35am
Dang. Middimom seems angry. 
Itsa me, mario!
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2015 at 12:57pm
lol--middiemom is selectively tough, and entitled to her thinking...

I have talked with Mr.Bo numerous times about his run for office. I am going to give him my support and vote, hoping that he can hold true to his thinking. Probably the same with Mr.Moon after I de-cipher where he stands and who is backing him.

Those on Council whose terms are expiring are all quality nice caring individuals. In no way do I doubt their concern about our community. Still--I am not satisfied with their progress or direction, and am supporting changes for as long as it takes to experience a better comfort level with local govt.

If u r truly satisfied with how things have gone for the last 10 years, then u can keep it all the same. If the voting public doesn't support any level of change, then so be it. What u c currently is what u will c down the road. r we that un-involved?
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2015 at 1:01pm

Mr. Bohannon, you state that the section 8 program is not the problem facing Middletown. How far off and out of touch you are sir. Just ask the police chief and the fire chief who disproportionately uses the city services. They can lay maps over the city of the section 8 program and the highest rate of crimes per neighborhood and they almost match up perfectly. If the section 8 program is not a drain on Middletown then please explain why the Middletown police force has been conducting stings for months in these neighborhoods. You are simply trying to make a case for your run for an elected office. If you are so serious about this then give up your section 8 properties. If you are so serious about setting the record straight the city of Middletown cannot have someone on council who will have such a clear conflict of interest when it comes to voting on matters relating to section 8.  You, and others, have helped to create this ghetto community. We cannot afford another Tony Marconi et al city council again. 

Middiemom

The Section 8 Program is not the problem in Middletown..poverty is the problem. Middletown is no different than any other city when it comes to a greater use of city services and crime in high poverty areas. That is why the CDBG Funds were to be used in areas of greatest need which Mr. Adkins changed. I think you need to go back and read the 96 page report on Section 8 and read the replies from HUD.
    The records clearly show that City Hall requested the increase in Section 8 Housing not the landlords that purchased and restored the property to code. I think you need to remember that owning rental property is a legal business venture and helps support the tax base of this community, school system and other businesses in our community.
    Since Butler and Warren County are now in charge of the Section 8 Program Middletown has no control what so ever over this program so Mr. Bohannon would have no conflict of interest. Please remember that the matter of how City Hall administered the Section 8 Program over the years is now before the courts.

I find it strange that you blame the landlords for a ghetto community while City Hall raids accounts to fund their Downtown Dream and you say nothing. Million of dollars have been wasted with no ROI and City Hall and City Council Members do not have to explain their actions.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2015 at 3:46pm
Too many fail to realize the problems facing Middletown go back several decades and as some have suggested, including council, in part, are attributed to Middletown having been spoiled by a once prominent industry called paper pulp production and steel. As is typical in most municipalities, established industries attract ancillary industries around them, to minimize logistics expense and take advantage of economic needs driven by the core industries. That is what occurred in Middletown, and Hamilton.

Frankly, council members and even city leaders, can only do so much once a city has defined itself. The pollution and fear of contaminants kept many residents out, and the decline in Armco began years ago, with too many people, and too much steel being dumped by foreign enterprises, of course, China, and others, leading the pack. With the established higher tax base, unlike West Chester, Liberty Township, carved out of farm land, Middletown jsut did not compete for business nor residents. Too high existing tax base, too little support for infrastructure, too high crime, too poor an image.

Section 8 did not destroy Middletown's reputation, the city did that. Section 8 was not the magnet that pulled the poor in. Too little business development and forward vision kept too little businesses moving and, and more moving out. When jobs that pay well are not available, and you have a city with a strong industrial base, the flow of residents with higher income, decreases, not increases. What is left is a shift in demographics.

The simple question to ask any local candidate is if they believe the city needs to focus on core responsibilities or airports, property, arts, coffee shops, and restaurants. If its police, fire, and economic development, should be a yes candidate. How about dedicating an ordinance that has a % of funds dedicated to streets ergo 1986-----yes, no? 

Council has never really had the power many believe. Middletown had a bad hand with old industry and kept its eye only on those old industry cash cows. Dreaming of influx of $350 Kk net income surgeons, and such, isn't going to happen. And.....until the city exhibits its own sense of pride in itself, meaning employees and leadership, it rings hollow, the problem is residents need to have such pride as well. Pride in ownership extends only to the castle surrounded by the moat, not the leadership, run down infrastructure, high taxes, and bi-decade fire work display.

The city bed of industry was laid years ago. You could have five Mark Cuban's sitting on council, and the road of turn-around would be years, decades, just as it will be with whomever, takes a seat at Donham on Tuesdays twice a month. 

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
Dean View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2015 at 4:10pm
The most accurate statement about Middletown is this;

"its best days are behind it. Not in front." Look at the city employer rankings. 1. AKS 2. Atrium. 3. School system. Guess what? 1 and 2 moved out of town and have been around for 80 years or so. In nearly 100 years, nothing has moved up to the top 10 position. Hello economic development, is anyone at work? Oh well, a beer place is going to be built someplace, besides the Miller plant, and a subway is going downtown. Someday. 
middiemom View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middiemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2015 at 4:57pm
I wholeheartedly agree that past councils are to blame. But, if you think for one single minute that having a section 8 landlord on the council is a good idea then you are sorely mistaken. How do you think he will vote every time there is is an issue related to the section 8 program? do you think he would vote to decrease the plan? Do you think he would vote to increase the vouchers? Will he vote to keep the number of vouchers the same? Let us see. His livelihood is based off in part by this program. If you are honest with yourselves you can come up with the correct answer. I can't believe this is even an issue!!! As for Butler and Warren counties controlling the section 8 programs do you really think that West Chester and other cities are going to sit idly by and accept their fair share of the indigent population? LOL They will have their council members fighting it tooth and nail. We will have a council with a section 8 landlord on it. I wonder what is going to happen. 

I agree Vivian that owning rental property is a legal business. The question is is it good for the city? Is welcoming people from out of town to accept these vouchers a good idea? They don't pay property taxes and most of them do not work. Yet, they disproportionately use up more of the city services than taxpayers. 

Yes the blame is squarely on past administrations but the state of this city is also due n no small part to the miscreants that have moved in to this cit to take advantage of these programs. 

Factguy is right. This site has become a total parody of itself. For the longest time many of you have decried Mr. Bohannon and the other section 8 landlords on here. Now he wants to make a run for council and you all line up because of your disapproval of current council. While we're at it why don't we get Dan Tracey to run also? Maybe Faulkner too? 
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2015 at 5:28pm
Sounds like a great idea middiemom at lease they are business men That know how to run a business that's more than you can say for the majority on council now.
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2015 at 9:05pm
Mr. Bohannon will garner at least 3300 votes, maybe 3500, and wins easily. I believe he will be the highest vote getter in council history. He also owns a major roofing company successfully supporting southwest Ohio for many years. He is known for that utility more so than landlord.

Correct me if I may be wrong, but Larry Mulligan knows how to run a business, as he is President of a region for a multi- billion dollar company. Joe Mulligan is a partner at a law firm, a small business that he runs. Dan Picard is a partner and owner of a law firm in Monroe, and therefore knows how to run the business he runs, and also was in the family paper business. Anita Scott Jones knows how to run a business, as she is a leader in higher education, a Director and above, with a significant budget. The final current council member was a purchasing agent at a major defense contractor with budget responsibilities.   

Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2015 at 9:06pm
Middiemom, I could not agree more with what you say. Section 8 and poverty has been our cities downfall. The leaders that we have elected over the years have failed us. Mr Bohannon and the others state that section 8 is not a problem, its a business. Well that business has failed the city. It has cause a drug problem in our city, crime, caused our schools to have all students to be on free and reduced lunch. Who would want to move here? My wife is an educator in this school system and deals with this on a daily basis. As I understand stand it maybe I'm wrong, section 8 landlords also receive a maintenance allowance each month from the government. It is money meant to improve the condition of the properties. In most cases that does not happen. I am old enough to remember the glory days of Middletown. We will never return to that. Murphy's on the corner, the Parrott, Weber's, Gillen Crowe, and Elites. Times have changed and new things can happen with the right leadership. We do not attract new and high paying jobs because with have the stigma of crime, poverty and drugs. This must change in order to be attractive to new businesses. I don't have all the answers but I am willing to listen to the citizens and be their mouthpiece on council. Here is an example of how downtown does not look to the future. Right before Menards built there store in Fairfield Township, they wanted to build here in Middletown. The powers to be downtown refused to allow it because they said they would fail and did not want another empty building. The last I looked Menards was prospering and hurting Lowe's and Home Depot. I am seriously considering a run for council and will need all the support I can get. I know one person on this blog that will support me. I am going to think about this over the weekend and make my decision. You folks will know on Monday if I pull and application and my identity. I just want to serve the common man. I'm not influenced by those with money. I want what's best for our town.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2015 at 9:16pm
By the way I do not believe in a free ride or entitlement programs.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2015 at 9:42pm
factguy = Josh Earnest

someone has to do it, I guess.......
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2015 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

factguy = Josh Earnest.
LOL LOL LOL
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
middiemom View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middiemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2015 at 11:41pm
Over the hill you have to be kidding me.  I have never heard a more asinine statement in all of my life. A lot of you people are hypocrites. A lot of you lament about the section 8 program and the detriments it brings to the city. but now because one of the landlords you all have lambasted posts a reply you all fall in line. Please tell me how in the real world this makes sense. Please tell me how a man with multiple, or should i say as he did,  "a few" section 8 properties is a good thing. Please enlighten me. You all rightly lash out at past administrations because of inept leadership and increasing the section 8 population. But you now fall in line with another section 8 landlord. Have you not learned your lesson? 

When he gets power who will he beholden to? You, me? I know a few of you on this thread and you're smarter than this.

Factguy, again, you are right.  This site has rendered itself useless. 
middiemom View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middiemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2015 at 11:49pm
Mr. Presta, and spider, I in no way want to diminish what you both have done for this community. Mike, you are the only one on here who put his money where his mouth was and made a run for council. Spider, your commitment to this city for years is a testament to you and your family's belief in this community. Thank you both. Clap
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2015 at 12:16am
come on, mom----no one here or anywhere is better than anyone else
we are all in this together and we all want the same happy ending
mistakes have been made and will continue to be made
we just want different people trying different things with hopefully a better result

so many ridicule those posting here, yet MAYBE it comes from a fear that many things said here are correct--the most vicious statements that I have read here have been attacks on those who post here?

who are the good guys--who are the bad guys?
are there really any good guys or bad guys?
just everyday people wanting good things
but we need to change faces
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2015 at 12:20am
Come on spiderjohn, what am I supposed to do, set my hair on fire every time there is a problem in the city? Wacko

Steve Bohannon has broad and widespread appeal, not because he is a section 8 landlord, but because he is a model resident and landlord, whom takes care of his property and does complete background checks. Few in the city have condemned section 8 entirely, but the high percent of vouchers in Middletown as a measurement of the county. So a model citizen and landlord who takes good care of his property should be cast negatively because he receives a check from the federal government. Lets disqualify attorneys that represent criminals from holding office. Lets extend it to teachers and administrators because the district receives federal and state funds for numbers of students attending school. Didn't someone suggest a former district school superintendent request the increase in vouchers? Maybe we can combine the heroin addicts with section 8 recipients and fill the potholes as VietVet suggested. Just write an ordinance, if you don't make 225,000 or above in annual income, you can't live in the city. Problem solved.    
Dean View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2015 at 12:47am
SD a poet, a man whom appreciates lyrics and themes.

Dave Mason, we just disagree. Dig it.

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2015 at 8:18am
don't know about the top line, but exactly, Dean.....

from one of my favorite cds and a former house guest:

https://youtu.be/zU5suvcf_qw

https://youtu.be/f-YU7yzjRxw
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic