FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AK research center

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AK research center
    Posted: May 15 2015 at 11:53am
Factguy
We are still waiting on all those multi million dollar investors that are going to save your Downtown Dream.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2015 at 6:24am
A picture of Scott Nein? Have you finally revealed yourself Factguy? If so, now I know why we have been receiving the responses that we have from you. You always did play the old "support your local leaders" role in town, since your time on the school board. Have seen you at Meijers and Krogers shopping with the wife.

What was your reasoning for the attempt to reveal the true identity behind my screen name while you also operate with a screen name? Not really above board, now is it.

You and I have been through the old days here. Just a few years apart in age aren't we? If so, we must have had drastically different experiences while growing up here because we couldn't have ended up any further apart on our opinions of how this city has regressed. You appear to support anything and everything they do and always have despite the downhill direction this city has taken over the last 4 decades. You play the game well and it has gotten you much. It is too apparent not to understand what has happened. Why are you so eager to condone what is transpiring here, knowing the difference in Middletown now as opposed to back then? Why are you so willing to agree with the focus and direction of the city leaders, knowing this town is headed for disaster?

I can be there on Nov. 3rd, but not at noon. Working hours won't accommodate the noon timeline. Make it after working hours after 5PM. The place? You name it.    
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 8:43pm
November 3rd, 2015. Voting day. 12 noon. You name the precinct. 

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 6:27pm
FactGuy:

"Moreover, here's the mantra of a local musa poster. " I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over." There hasn't been a recall in Middletown. Ever. Apathy rules. And we're happy to win by getting our voters out."

Never a recall. True, and a shame because there have been elected people over the years who have richly deserved to be recalled and sent packing. Some are currently in that position.

"Apathy rules". Also true. In epidemic proportions in this city and it is helping to ruin a once fine town.

"We're happy to win by getting our voters out". Yep, and all it takes is a small contingent of your voters to offset any and all weak attempts at resistance to your ways and to meaningful change. You have no competition for any of your candidates. They win by default as the "other team" never shows up. A victory every time, even though the end result is probably not what the majority of the people want and definitely not what they need in elected officials. We will never know the real feelings of the community as long as the majority stays away from the voting booth. All we have now is the knowledge that a small percentage of the potential voters will vote for city-programmed candidates and no independent has a chance to win with the current power system in place.

Nice of you to recognize my "mantra". Mercy. Still need that time and place to meet.    
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 5:42pm
Factguy: First get your facts straight. According to the Butler County Board of Elections, 71% if registered voters cast ballots in the November, 2012 election. That's when charter changes and tax issues should be on the ballot,;when a majority of citizens vote, not on low turnout elections where a minority of voters can override the majority. What you're saying is that you're happy that the citizens of Middletown are apathetic so an "organization" can circumvent the will of the majority and do whatever it wants.Why should organizations get to choose when something gets voted upon? And why have representatives if they can't effectively manage the funds that they're given? Once again, this is government of the few for the benefit of a few and it is what is ruining Middletown and our country. Keep counting on apathy Factguy, the alternative would not be something you would enjoy.
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 4:33pm
TonyB, the county is able on a Presidential election day, to get around 25-28% of registered voters to vote. The election statutes have authorized elections not held in November for years, in other months if the organization wanting the vote to take place pays for the added cost. In an off November election, voter turn-out is between 12-16% of registered voters. With such low turn-out in any election, there aren't going to be sufficient enough individuals or organizations to change the statutes, Term limits on politicians, flat tax, and other priorities are above what you describe. Never will come about. 

Moreover, here's the mantra of a local musa poster.  " I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over." There hasn't been a recall in Middletown. Ever. Apathy rules. And we're happy to win by getting our voters out.  
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 1:49pm
I find it very odd that Factguy would once again state how confident he is in getting any tax levy or charter passed by just funding an election when there will be low turnout. Is this really what democracy in America has become? Why is no one proposing a change to all this "special election" raping of the taxpayers wallet? Why let a small minority of citizens raise your taxes? How is it ethical for your elected leaders to do this (don't start with the legal bs because there is a huge difference between "legal" and "ethical")? When is enough, enough?

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 1:17pm
sj, 3 out 5 council members, Judy Gilleland, Tom Swope, from FBT, and the new public safety director, Mr. V, are members, Denise H., her assistant, Fishbaugh, Sawyer, and others. The majority live in city, including Nix from AKS, and of course, KC lives in Maineville (or Morrow). Their highlight was the Greenville trip a year ago. I though Carole Turner from the Atrium was a member, but evudently not, and she lives in Springboro (CEO/ Pres of Atrium). Pearce lives in Middletown near JN.

MF heats up around election time, and is passive mostly. They will throw a positive spin to support the city when needed, in articles. They are the caboose, council is the steam engine with the conductor. Support only, not guiding the train. Oh well, saying the same over, but that's the role of MMF. Nix keeps the jook into AKS, a good thing. JS gave up selling his house and moving to Cali some time ago. Few outsiders but KC, and you know his history.

Gotta run. Digging moat deeper and adding alligators and a wider bridge to cross.  
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 12:45pm
How many and who on MMF neither work or live in Middletown currently?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 12:31pm
I was hoping this is not the case but I fear it is. It is sad to see the stranglehold on the city, especially from the classless group of people that occupy the power positions. It is sad to see a once proud city disappear right in front of one's eyes and die a slow death under this abuse.

Not sure about Bohannon. Isn't he one of the Section 8 landlords, and if so, really can't respect that. Making money off of a program that has helped "ghetto down" the city. Not a fan of anyone connected to this program.

So it has come to this for most in the community.....IE- give it up as to hope for change. Care not, ignore the incompetence, ignore the town destruction, ignore the seemingly endless rose-colored lies? Just become callous to all that goes on with a "who cares" attitude.

Don't know that I can at this point.

Frustrating to those who still care.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 12:01pm
Not in my opinion. I believe around 2000, a group decided they would run for council, and would put in place, MMF, and place those in positions having influence in the city, that would support not only council, but the school board members in a network, chamber of commerce leadership, etc. This was determined who would initially run, and you know who that was, and who became Mayor. From there, MMF arose, the BOE joined forces under one roof at Donham, and money was passed from city to MMF. Council isn't driven by MMF, MMF is driven by council. Council 
drives city direction, instead of city leadership driving, and getting nod from council. MMF gets notice who existing councils want on council when they leave. I have heard Steve Bohannon is next man up. Nice guy.

To be clear, this structure is the same as the county GOP. Everyone gets in line, nods who's turn it is, or where support goes. That instills no competition in primaries, or little that don't have a chance at winning, and the same elected individuals are elected cycle after cycle, creating a rut, no progress, same status quo. City council with MMF, took a page out of cty GOP playbook, and it works to perfection.

It doesn't matter. Train left station, no alteration, no change, and this is how it is going to be for decades. Mike Presta gets it, as do many. Why bother anymore. Too many on bench,  and no time to waste on slaying windmills. As someone wrote, at least this group doesn't have the drama and complete lack of confidence around with LW, DS, TM, and others.

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 11:28am
acclaro, with all due respect......

You state.....

"MMF doesn't run city council, sorry to disagree yet again Vet,".....

Didn't you just support my contention with.....

"MMF was created, by members on council and the future council, by a Star Chamber of leadership desiring to execute a long-term strategy they deem desirable. No current council member will be supplanted until they determine they no longer wish to serve. And when they do, current members are ready to be put in place, hand-picked by current council members, and supported through a pass through of cash, by MMF."

Doesn't "hand-picked council members" and "supported through a passthrough of cash" support my statement that the MMF people control who goes on council and what they will support while on council?   
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 11:02am
Council by its very purpose and definition, is to review and approve or disapprove, the actions of city leadership. At this juncture, the wheels have been been set, and the mechanism in place, to run the city as desired. That being: give tax credits on east end, give away properties downtown with nothing expected in return, and to spin everything is positive. As Mike Presta has indicated, the voter sentiment and interest, no longer exists, if it ever did. MMF doesn't run city council, sorry to disagree yet again Vet, MMF was created, by members on council and the future council, by a Star Chamber of leadership desiring to execute a long-term strategy they deem desirable. No current council member will be supplanted until they determine they no longer wish to serve. And when they do, current members are ready to be put in place, hand-picked by current council members, and supported through a pass through of cash, by MMF.  

No matter, it is what it is, and it isn't going to change. As Mike Presta has eloquently indicated, the majority just don't care, and a waste of time attempting to make change occur. It won't occur. Build a moot, make your island, and do a core dump on what is occurring downtown, on east end, in schools, roads, etc. As they say in New York, 'forget about it already.' I have.  
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 11:00am
Originally posted by over the hill over the hill wrote:

We FINALLY have Gilland out of there now get rid of mayor and ASJ along with Picard and you might get somewhere. JMO

ASJ stopped being effective years ago. Was hoping in the beginning that she would be different when she asked questions. Now, one of the rubber stamp crowd. Sad to see. The only one that had promise of never yielding was Josh Laubach and he was maneuvered out on council with the MMF voting block doing their job, ruining his re-election. No hope for change as long as that happens.

Ya gotta include the Mulligan brothers too. Both of them should be ashamed to have any connection with the current city condition (particularly Larry), as they both have as much time in this town as I have and both remember how nice the town was at one time.

Also need to rid the city of the Law Director (another one who has lived here during the good times) and, while we're at it, need to wave bye bye to the city manager (an outsider who doesn't know what it was like living here years ago). He just flat out doesn't get it as to the personality and type of city this really is. He's no better than Gilleland was. Just as destructive, in a different sense.

The MMF should be ashamed of themselves too. People like Ken Cohen (and, again, L. Mulligan), who were around when the city was thriving, should know better than to have guided this city to it's current condition. Other MMF'ers, who were around in Middletown's heyday, should also feel some remorse, but I doubt that they do or they would never have agreed with the current direction.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 10:07am
We FINALLY have Gilland out of there now get rid of mayor and ASJ along with Picard and you might get somewhere. JMO
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 8:04am
Never have said once Mr. Presta supported past council decisions, just the past ones in last 8 years. They are cleaning up a mess they did not make. On AKS, to be clear, like their attitude and ability to make the best deal to meet their needs. Said previous council members set stage for what current council members are left to negotiate. 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 6:16am
Originally posted by Factguy Factguy wrote:

Absolutely correct. Current council cleaning up years of mess from previous council and commissioners. Years of neglect and misguided policies. Clean up in aisle 1,2 3, 4, ....100.  

One problem with your analysis FactGuy. While current council is "cleaning up years of mess from previous council and commissioners", they are creating other problems that are hurting the city. Nothing but "problem substitution" from what I see.

I wouldn't be so supportive with the current batch of council/city building members. A lot of rubber stamped substandard performance/misdirected focus from them as well. No, the current group running this city isn't the answer this city needs to improve things. As a matter of fact, this city has gotten worse in the last 2 decades and from what I see, is continuing to go downhill.

Gut council and the city building and replace with competent people with the correct focus on addressing problems. The people we have now aren't problem solvers, they are problem creators.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 3:39am
Factless-guy must be a switch-hitter!!! He seems to be swinging from both sides of the plate lately!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2015 at 10:03pm
Yogi Berra once said- "I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?"

Quit changing bats.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2015 at 7:12pm
Same people in Admin
How long has the mayor been on Council?
Policies seem continuous
Jmo
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2015 at 6:55pm
Absolutely correct. Current council cleaning up years of mess from previous council and commissioners. Years of neglect and misguided policies. Clean up in aisle 1,2 3, 4, ....100.  
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2015 at 6:30pm
People like Williams, Marconi, etc were clowns and an embarrassment to their council positions.
Dean View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2015 at 4:04pm
Say what you want about this council, but what they have dome positively is hold Middletown in place before a mass exodus of business and residents. The previous council who criticized the school board and their levies, Laura Williams in particular, would have let AKS leave, and would never have done a TIF. They would have not given Quaker Chemical tax benefits, nor Akers. It would be a mess greater than what it is today.

Also, there are many in the city, everyday residents, who knew for at least two years, AKS was seriously looking to move out of Middletown for its corporate headquarters. A prominent partner at a local insurance company was telling it around his clients for years before it came true. 

Many don't see this council's job has been to hold onto Middletown businesses and residents. The previous council would been watching a flee out of town, a stampede. Credit the free fall has been controlled and slowed, for whatever comfort you may find in it.   
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2015 at 1:27pm
Time out.

Isn't really what is happening around the east end (Atrium corridor), is existing Middletown busninesses are voving out there, which is a haven for either:

i) NON profits
ii) TIF- profits paying no taxes or minimal taxes having same effect as non profit

So, what's moving to the 75 corridor in tax paying entities in Middletown moving to non tax paying areas within Middletown. Net sum gain is keeping working people residing in Middletown in the city, for now.

Companies are moving out of Middletown or moving into the TIF area. Those left behind shutting down, many on Breihel. Pull up property tax statutes and see the property tax laws for commercial businesses with zero occupancy and how little tax they pay (hello Courtney Duff, CSH, others.)

The true focus is to pump up residents in the Renaissance, BFHS, and Main Street. That's what will be left behind. 

swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2015 at 10:48am
 I could see where Michigan and/or Indiana would have been interested.  I believe there is much unused land at Rockport, so much so that there were concerns that AK Corporate might locate there. The Rouge plant saw $1.2 billion in improvements several year ago by Severstal

Another development is Cincinnati Eye Institute is building a new Middletown facility on the Atrium Campus which is expected to include job creation. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2015/05/07/a-4-5m-project-will-expand-this-hospitals-services.html 

What's sorely needed on that site of 75 are services and amenities, like banks, restaurants, etc.   The additional of is sorely needed before other office, research and light industrial development can happen.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic