FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HUD CDBG FUNDS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HUD CDBG FUNDS
    Posted: Feb 27 2015 at 5:39am

Posted: 3:40 p.m. Monday, Feb. 23, 2015

County to distribute $1.8M in federal funds to needy areas

By Denise G. Callahan

Staff Writer

BUTLER COUNTY 

Butler County plans to distribute $1.8 million in federal funds to help cities, townships and villages with capital improvements and to help residents with housing.

The county commissioners perused the list of $2.9 million worth of Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) and HOME fund requests on Monday, a list the Consolidated Planning Committee had already shaved by about $1 million.

The largest project on the list is $176,000 for curb and gutter replacement in the Alamo Heights area of Hanover Twp. The city of Middletown — which is large enough to qualify on its own for Department of Housing and Urban Development funding, but partners with the county — had the largest housing request at $200,000 for down payment assistance.

A few items on the list gave the three commissioners pause, namely a new water tower in the village of New Miami that hasn’t been deployed because it needs a water pressure valve. Commissioner Don Dixon said he doesn’t understand how the village could ask for $129,000 to fix alleys, when they have a water tower that needs attention.

“They’ve got a brand new tank that’s been sitting there for years, that they can’t use because they can’t come up with a $400 valve. And I’m going to give them money to do alleys? I don’t think so,” he said. “I don’t get it.”

Dixon suggested they use the money to help the village come up with a plan to address their water system, including getting the valve installed.

Acting New Miami Mayor Bob Henley said the village’s public affairs board, which controls utilities, has been dragging its feet on the water tower valve, that was built four or five years ago, but he doesn’t know why. He said the village controls the independent board’s purse strings but not the board itself.

“It supposedly was funded a couple times and hasn’t been done yet,” Henley said. “We’ve been on the water department for a number of years to get that done. Having that water tower there and not operational, it kind of ticks us off a little bit.”

Commissioner Cindy Carpenter also had an issue with Neighborhood Housing Services (NHS). Not that their proposed $18,000 allotment is too high, but rather that they are too strict in their down payment assistance approval guidelines. She said she sent several people there and they were turned down. She asked if the rules could be relaxed.

Desmond Maaytah, community development manager for the county, has checked on Carpenter’s request but said they are already as lenient as HUD allows. He was told the issue is that people aren’t qualifying for mortgages and if you can’t get a mortgage you don’t need a down payment.

“Before 2008 pretty much anybody that had a heartbeat could get some type of mortgage,” he said. “But it’s kind of built in now really, the banks are a lot stricter with your debt ratios and that type of thing.”

NHS received about $230,000 to $250,000 in federal down payment assistance last year and there is still $100,000 unused, hence the $18,000 allotment rather than the $150,000 they were seeking.

The federal funds, once approved by the commissioners, will also finance some street resurfacing, home repair assistance, demolition and two Habitat for Humanity homes, among other projects and assistance. The funds must be spent to better low-to-moderate income areas.

Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2015 at 2:04pm
How could I get enough of this to pay down my mortgage to meet my newest property evaluation? I live in Middletown it should qualify me? 

over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2015 at 3:29pm
Tearing down 2 Habit for Humanity houses? Does this bother any body else?
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2015 at 4:07pm
Addresses? Why?
Every morning is the dawn of a new error...
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2015 at 4:08pm
Doesn't the City of Middletown still continue to receive an entitlement formula allocation of $700,000+/- annually in HUD Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funding? Does Kile Fooks still ride herd on this program for The Dougmeister? Does the City of Middletown still continue to receive an allocation of $400,000+/- annually in HUD Home Investment Partnerships (HOME) funding in consortium with the City of Hamilton? Does NHS of Hamilton now administer the once highly-successful Downpayment and Closing Cost Assistance Program for the City of Middletown. As late as 2006, NHS was approving about six or seven DPA grants for first-time buyers. Most of the first mortgages were via First Financial Bank. Beginning in 2007, DPA Program guidelines were revised thanks to the considerable effort of local real estate professionals, target area residents, local mortgage bankers and new city staff. As late as 2008, nearly 60 new homebuyers were served thanks to this program. Have things been returned to the old "way of doing things" thanks to Dougie and the Fookster? I wonder if First Financial is once again making most of the first mortgages? How much cash does NHS get for "administrative" and origination fees? Go figure.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2015 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by over the hill over the hill wrote:

Tearing down 2 Habit for Humanity houses? Does this bother any body else?

Is this true? The bugs me a lot. Angry
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2015 at 9:48pm
Here is the link to OHIO HUD ASSITANCE DOWNPAYMENT PROGRAMS
http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/states/ohio/homeownership/buyingprgms

I just don't understand why Adkins would want this $200,000 because very few of these people can qualify for this money. 

Middletown receives about $650,000 every year in CDBG FUNDS...however...in the past City Hall has not used the majority of these funds in the "areas of greatest need"  and that is why the 2nd ward looks like a war zone....shame on City Hall....

middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2015 at 12:21pm
I think you're misreading that sentence from the article:

"The federal funds, once approved by the commissioners, will also finance some street resurfacing, home repair assistance, demolition and two Habitat for Humanity homes, among other projects and assistance."

The federal funds will also finance:
-Some street resurfacing,
-Home repair assistance
-Demolition
-Two Habitat for Humanity homes
-Other projects and assistance

I believe the statement there is that funds will be included FOR 2 Habitat for Humanity homes and for demolition, but not for demolition of two H4H homes.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2015 at 1:40pm
Thank you, ms for clarifying that point.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic