FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zogby: Too Close to Call

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zogby: Too Close to Call
    Posted: Oct 09 2008 at 10:06am

The presidential race is still too close to call and could come down to the very last weekend before voters decide if they like or distrust Barack Obama, a national pollster predicts.

“I don’t think Obama has closed the deal yet,” pollster John Zogby told the Herald yesterday.

Zogby’s latest poll, released yesterday in conjunction with C-Span and Reuters, shows Obama and John McCain in a statistical dead heat, with the Illinois Democrat up 48-45 percent.

John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2008 at 6:29pm
Come on Obama!

With all the support $ and celebs you gotta be doing better than that.
Perhaps with your 1/2 TV show on CBS you will gain more ground.

Here's spit in your eye.

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2008 at 5:10am
Do you realize how many parties have candidates on the ballot this year? 
My wife and I voted Wednesday evening (only ONCE each) since we will be out of town on election day.

Besides the Democratic and Repubplican candidates, and Bob Barr and Ralph Nader, and Ross Perot (all with their respective running mates), there were about five or six other "parties" and candidates (most of whom I have never heard) listed for the consideration of the voters--as well as space for "write-ins" for President and VP.

Note:  I was going to "write in" Viet Vet and Spiderman, but I couldn't decide which one to put on top of the ticket!!  LOL   Big%20smile
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2008 at 7:10am
Mike- VietVet has a regular 40 hour a week job at Wright Patt. He would really like to get involved in LOCAL politics at the city council level, but doesn't have the time or the money to start. The "club" folks would really hate VietVet, if elected, as he would like to shake the peaches from their tree, so to speak. VietVet isn't well versed enough to go higher than the local level and would find it very difficult to rub elbows with the phony morons in Washington. VietVet prides himself in being able to look through the crap being shoveled by our local yokals. VietVet wants Middletown fixed and the current council and school board run out of town.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2008 at 7:24am
Jonathan-Jonathan- please don't spit in Obama's eye. We haven't abused your buddy Bush that much, have we? Remember, Republican's are suppose to be "kinder and gentler" according to the older Bush. To be a true Republican, you must follow what the Bush's, Cheney's, Rove's, Coulter's,Limbaugh's,Ingraham's,Quayle's( mentioned as a joke), Boehner's,and Palin's of the world are spouting- you know- the correct way of thinking. I know that I'm working on "seeing it their way" and will be transformed any day now.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2008 at 12:15pm
I would vote for VietVet if he wasn't busy with his job at Wright Patt.

Thanks for your service to our country. God Bless you and God Bless America.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2008 at 12:54pm
Vet:
I was, of course, joking about writing in you and spider for Prez and VP of the USA.

However, I would genuinely support you for city council!!!

I would donate to your campaign, and if you were elected, I would be pleased to do all that I could to help you serve. 

BUT, (There's always a "but", isn't there?) you MUST have as one of your positions that you will REFUSE seats on all of the boards and commissions, and promise to urge all of council to do the same.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2008 at 1:30pm
Mike:
So you think its a conflict of interest to be on both council and zoning?

Please help me see your thinking here. I might agree.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2008 at 4:25am
Originally posted by Jonathan Haller Jonathan Haller wrote:

Mike:
So you think its a conflict of interest to be on both council and zoning?

Please help me see your thinking here. I might agree.

Of course it is, and not just “council and zoning”, but also council and any and all of the plethora of other city boards and commissions to which they appoint themselves!

And this is NOT just MY opinion. It has been the opinion of every Ohio Attorney General for the last dozen or so decades! Please recall the result when the Madison School Board recently requested an Opinion of the Ohio Attorney General (OAG), regarding someone serving as a township Trustee and on the school board concurrently.

It is all very simple:

First, City Council controls the budget and appropriates money for ALL of these factions such as the Park Board, the Tree Commission, The Golf Commission, the Airport, and so on. If they get money from the City of Middletown, the City Council controls their budget, including the approving (or denial) of any supplemental appropriations that any of the entities might request. How can there NOT be a “conflict of interest” when Council appoints two or three (or more) of their own body to each board or commission, the so-called “liaisons” steer the agenda of each board or commission, then lobby other City Council members behind the scenes, and then vote to approve or deny appropriations to these very same entities?

Second, please allow me to cite Section 731.02, “Qualifications of members of legislative authority.” of the Ohio Revised Code (ORC):

“Members of the legislative authority at large shall have resided in their respective cities, and members from wards shall have resided in their respective wards, for at least one year immediately preceding their election. Each member of the legislative authority shall be an elector of the city, shall not hold any other public office, except that of notary public or member of the state militia, and shall not be interested in any contract with the city, and no such member may hold employment with said city. A member who ceases to possess any of such qualifications, or removes from the member’s ward, if elected from a ward, or from the city, if elected from the city at large, shall forthwith forfeit the member’s office.”

Trust me that, with some digging through the boxes of legal research materials that my wife wants me to throw away, I can cite many OAGs and case law clearly indicating that membership on city boards and commissions are, indeed “public offices” which “shall not” be held by any “member of the legislative authority of a municipal corporation” (City Council member).

Third, also in one of my file boxes is a publication from the Ohio Attorney General listing seven conditions, when if any one of which exists, the two “offices” are “incompatible”! I cannot quote it verbatim at this moment, but one of the items has to do with budget. Any office which has budgetary supervision over another is INCOMPATIBLE, and a CONFLICT of INTEREST!

In Middletown, such conflicts are multitudinous and flagrant, and add to the perception that council cannot be trusted.

Please recall a few months ago when the local chapter of the NAACP wanted to paint something at either Douglass Park or the Community Center (I cannot recall which). Now this was a noble gesture, and all involved are to be commended, and I do not mean to suggest any misdeeds, but consider the facts:

The NAACP wanted some minor assistance from the Park department. (I cannot recall if it was some paint, or some equipment, but certainly nothing untoward.) But Ms. Scott-Jones is the President of the local chapter of the NAACP, which requested the assistance from the Park Board, of which Ms. Scott-Jones is a member, and the Park Board is funded by and under the supervision of the City Council, upon which Ms. Scott-Jones also sits.

Once again, I am NOT suggesting that anything wrong occurred, nor am I trying to cast aspersions on Ms. Scott-Jones, but any OBJECTIVE person must admit that in such cases a “conflict of interest” certainly could exist. And If I could lay my hands on the correct documents, I would cite the documentation that says such relationships are illegal if such conflicts “may arise”! They don’t actually have to occur!! They just have to reasonably be known to have the possibility to occur.

Now, you mentioned the Zoning Board. If a council member has already involved himself/herself in a matter at the Zoning Board level, how can he/she possibly be completely unbiased and impartial when the same issue comes before the City Council???

Also, let me turn the tables. Please give me ONE GOOD REASON (other than “resume building” for future offices) why any member of council SHOULD be on any of the other boards or commissions!!!

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2008 at 11:00am
These types of appointments seem to be common in Ohio I found these with little effort.

City of Oxford:

SECTION 8.06 PLANNING COMMISSION.

There shall be a City Planning Commission consisting of seven members, two of whom shall be members of Council, elected by Council for a term of one year; and five citizen members, appointed by Council from among the qualified electors of the city. The five citizen members shall serve five year overlapping terms of office. Citizen members of the Planning Commission shall hold no other incompatible public office.

City of Monroe:

Planning Commission

Planning Commission consists of five members, one of which is a Member of Council.

City of Middletown:

To be eligible for appointment, a person shall be a citizen of the U.S. and, for other than the Board of Education member, a resident of the City. Planning Commission shall consist of 9 members, one shall be a member of City Council, one shall be the Director of Planning, and one shall be a member of the Middletown City School District Board of Education or designee of the Board of Education. The Council member and Planning Director shall not be entitled to vote. The Planning Director shall serve as Secretary.

So the question is how do they get away with this.  In Middletown do they get around this by not allowing the Council Member to vote and I believe they refer to them as a Liaison between Council and the Commission they are on.  I have also felt when watching the Planning Commission on TV Middletown that by interacting with the Commission Members and Presenters the Council member could direct the Planning Commission to a different conclusion or action.  Just my Opinion.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2008 at 1:41pm
Excellent research, Pacman!!! Thumbs%20Up

Even though the particular case of planning commission/councilperson is special because of the charter provision, the OAG that you linked makes it perfectly clear that, absent such charter provision, "It is a well-settled rule that a person may not serve simultaneously in two public positions when one position is subordinate to, or in any way a check upon, the other." And "A corollary to this rule is that an officer is disqualified from serving on a board or commission to which he makes appointments"!!

Further:  "In other words, unless a statute provides otherwise, a clear case of incompatibility is presented when a person wishes to hold a public position, and, at the same time, serve as a member of the board that is the appointing authority for that position. "

And "liaison-shmiaison", call it whatever they want, lawyer up all they want,  absent specific charter provisions--approved by a vote of the citizenry-- it is perfectly clear that the council's practice of appointing themselves to a myriad of boards and commissions is flat-out WRONG, illegal and unethical!!

PS:  Even WITH the charter provision, it is debatable!!!  Contrary to our Law Director's stated opinion, "Home Rule" does NOT mean they can do whatever they want and "Home Rule" does NOT "trump state law"!!!  Charter provisions must still comply with the "general laws" of the state of Ohio!!

PPS:  "How do they get away with it?"  Simple!  No one (except me) has challenged them!  Thus my qualifier for supporting VietVet for councilman.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."  ...E. Burke
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2008 at 4:23pm
Interesting info Pacman, but where is the conflict?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2008 at 5:29am
Jonathan:
They appoint THEMSELVES to boards and commissions that govern operations that the council funds and OVERSEES!!!

If you cannot see the conflict of interest in this, perhaps you belong on council!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2008 at 7:22am
Sure sounds like the tax increases are still going to roll on if Obama is elected.  Obama states to a business owner, "It's not that I want to punish your success. I just want to make sure that everybody that is behind you, that they have a chance for success too."

Look out below folks. 
.308 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2008 at 8:17am

I think Obama wants to replace "Trickle Down" economics with his new plan that I would call "Beat Down" economics.

The definition of which should be intuitively obvious.

Speaking of definitions... you do know his defination of "tax cut" right?

http://wsj.com/article/SB122385651698727257.html

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2008 at 2:44pm

Multiple registrants tell Cuyahoga County Elections Board ACORN workers begged for signatures

Pair signed multiple vote cards for ACORN
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Joe Guillen
Plain Dealer Reporter

Teenager Freddie Johnson said he was offered smokes and dollar bills to fill out voter registration cards.

And now the Cuyahoga County Elections Board has 73 cards with Johnson's name on them.

Johnson and another prolific registrant were subpoenaed to testify at a meeting Monday as the Elections Board continued its look at possible fraud by ACORN, a national organization that tries to get low- and moderate-income people to register. ACORN's methods have drawn interest in a number of states this presidential election year.

Johnson, 19, said he mostly was trying to help ACORN workers who begged him to sign up because they needed to keep their jobs.

"They'd come up with a sob story why they needed the signature," said Johnson, of Garfield Heights.

ACORN leaders have acknowledged that workers paid by the hour were given quotas to fill.

Board member Sandy McNair said ACORN did not do a competent job carrying out its business plan. Members, in fact, said little about ACORN. And they turned their investigation over to the county sheriff and prosecutor.

A second person to testify, Christopher Barkley, 33, said ACORN workers pestered him while they tried to gather signatures.

Barkley, of Cleveland, said he was homeless and reading a book on Public Square when he signed some of the 13 cards that contain his name. He filled out cards - with his mother's house or workplace as the address - to help workers stay employed.

"Me being a kind-hearted person, I said 'Yeah,' " Barkley recalled.

Barkley, who wore a Domino's Pizza polo shirt, also told the board he was not sure he signed all the cards that had his name.

After the testimony, board Chairman Jeff Hastings paged through a binder that contained copies of cards with Barkley's name on them, and said, "This is ridiculous."

Sheriff's deputies interviewed both men separately after their testimony. They were released and not charged. Chief Deputy Doug Burkhart said they are possible witnesses.

The board decided that Johnson and Barkley must cast provisional ballots if they vote in the presidential election. Provisional ballots are not counted until after the election and only after a voter's address is verified.

Two other people were subpoenaed for Monday but could not be found. The board canceled both of their registrations and forced another woman involved in the investigation to vote provisionally in the Nov. 4 election.

One of the no-shows has already tried to vote, the board was told. His registration already had been canceled, yet he tried to register and vote on the same day about two weeks ago. Board workers recognized his name and stopped him.

Katy Gall, ACORN's Ohio director, said outside the meeting that she's proud of the work her group did. Gall said some of the 13,000 canvassers nationwide obviously didn't live up to the organization's standards. She said ACORN will continue to help with the county's investigation and try to refine its programs.

The Cuyahoga board identified up to 60 people whose names appeared on suspicious ACORN-submitted cards.

Elections Director Jane Platten said the board has safeguards to catch fraudulent cards and stressed that voter registration fraud is not the same as voter fraud.

Ohio law says a person must cast a provisional ballot if an address cannot be verified. The board checks addresses by sending out mail that is not to be forwarded. Poll books are marked to tell workers who must cast provisional ballots.

Board member Rob Frost, also the county GOP chairman, said he is not convinced Barkley and Johnson would have tried to vote more than once. He said it's clear ACORN workers disregarded registration laws.

"I wouldn't want there to be widespread fear that what ACORN has caused will lead to widespread [voter] fraud," Frost said after the meeting.

Board workers said ACORN had turned in nearly 72,000 cards since January. Of those, more than 5,000 were missing information and so could not be used. The board could not verify the address on 3,500 others. Those people will have to vote provisionally if they turn out at the polls.

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

jguillen@plaind.com, 216-999-4675

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2008 at 3:00pm
Seems to be a pattern forming here with Obama.  Use them then deny them.  I know nothing......hey wasn't that Sgt. Schultz's old line.  Obama seems to be wearing it out.  First Wright, Ayres,  Raines now ACORN, who will be next......the American......  From the WSJ: 

"The Obama campaign is now distancing itself from Acorn, claiming Mr. Obama never organized with it and has nothing to do with illegal voter registration. Yet it's disingenuous to channel cash into an operation with a history of fraud and then claim you're shocked to discover reports of fraud. As with Rev. Jeremiah Wright and William Ayers, Mr. Obama was happy to associate with Acorn when it suited his purposes. But now that he's on the brink of the Presidency, he wants to disavow his ties."
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2008 at 3:56pm
This looks like payback for Florida.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2008 at 4:15pm

Speaking of Florida, ACORN is on a First name basis with Mickey.  This voter application was submitted by ACORN.

Mickey%20Mouse%20tried%20to%20register%20to%20vote%20in%20Florida%20this%20summer,%20but%20Orange%20County%20elections%20officials%20rejected%20his%20application,%20which%20had%20an%20ACORN%20stamp%20on%20it.

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2008 at 9:25am
Where did you find that Pacman? That is hilarious.

What about Goofey and Mini? lol
John Beagle

Middletown USA

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2008 at 7:56pm
What???!!!
SPIDERJOHN definintely goes to the top of the ticket,with absolutely total respect for Vet.
No campaign donations necessary, though mocha and oats at JJ's, veal or pizza at Stefano's or a cheeseburger,crab cakes or scallops at the Meadows would be nice.

AND:
Due to to total clusterf++K currently in the financial and political worlds, I have once again decided to toss my name into the mix to be your next President(and hopefully a win there also makes me more powerful than Mayor Mulligan, Council, Marty Koehler,Sheriff Jones and the County Commission).

So:

Vote for Spider--your only real choice to lead us from this mess.
I despise Repubs and Dems equally, and will operate pretty much as an omni-potent supreme ruler for life(or I decide to say "Screw the whole thing!").

People get ready
the Spidertrain's a'comin'
No baggage mon
jus' getton board

Where the road goes on forever and the party never ends!

Stop the fussin' an da fightin"
Increase da peace!

Mo bettah soon come, brothahs an sistahs

AND:
Told you hillbillies that the "bailout(Ha!) wouldn't solve a thing and only make things worse. At least Presta was smart enough to agree.
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2008 at 10:09am
Anyone bright enough to know the bailout was going to do squat gets my vote.

Plus you already have a great theme song:

The Ballad of Spider John
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2008 at 4:42pm
Thanky for yer support, Mr.Wendt.
You won't regret it.
If I had been on the podium last night, this thing would already be over.

I needed a screen name for the MJ website, and everything was being rejected.
The Ballad of Spiderjohn(Sam Bush version--not Buffet) was playing on my puter, so I tried that one and it worked.

Actually I wanted jackofhearts(being a huge fan of older Dylan).

I ran as an indy in the last two elections, campaigning on two AOL message boards and was overwhelmingly chosen. But going against GW,Allah Gore and John Heinz Kerry was like shooting fish in a barrel. Not much different this time either.  VERY surprised we don't have another viable third option(UNTIL NOW!)

Vote for da Spidermon, and tings be mo bettah soon!
Get up--stand up
Stand up 4 your rights!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2008 at 9:00pm
It is sad that once again Ohio is in the News for all of the wrong reasons, due the incompetent actions of a Public Official.  Secretary of State  Brunner (D) has simply turned off the connection to verify voter information in the States database system.  What is the matter with these people.

October 16, 2008

Ruling May Impede Thousands of Ohio Voters

More than 200,000 registered Ohio voters may be blocked from casting regular ballots on Election Day because of a federal appeals court decision on Tuesday requiring the disclosure of lists of voters whose names did not match those on government databases, state election officials and voting experts said.

The court decision requires Jennifer Brunner, the Ohio secretary of state, to provide the names to local election officials by Friday. Once the local officials have the names, they may require these voters to cast provisional ballots rather than regular ones, and they may ask partisan poll workers to challenge these voters on Election Day. Both possibilities could cause widespread problems when the voters show up at the polls.

Concerns about those problems led the Ohio Attorney General’s Office to file an appeal of the decision to the United States Supreme Court on behalf of Ms. Brunner on Wednesday night.

The state’s appeal went directly to Justice John Paul Stevens because he oversees the Sixth Circuit. It argued that the Republican Party had nearly two years to raise complaints about the process of screening voter registrations and failed to do so. Any changes now to the process would disrupt preparations for the election, it contended.

Federal law requires states to verify voter registration applications with a government database like those for driver’s licenses or Social Security cards. Names that do not match are flagged for further verification. Since Democrats have been more aggressive at registering new voters this year, the decision will probably affect their party’s supporters disproportionately. Polling in the state shows Senator Barack Obama, the Democratic presidential nominee, with a slight lead on his Republican challenger, Senator John McCain.

Republicans have been angered by reports of voter-registration fraud linked to groups allied with Democrats, like Acorn, a community organizing group with ties to Mr. Obama. This month, the Ohio Republican Party filed a motion seeking to force Ms. Brunner, a Democrat, to hand over the list of all registration applications that had been flagged when checked using the state or federal databases.

In court papers, Republicans said they wanted the names to file challenges.

The 50-page decision by the Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, in Cincinnati, reversed a 2-to-1 ruling by a three-judge panel of the same circuit last week.

It remains unclear when access to the lists would be given to local election officials. Before the state’s appeal to Justice Stevens, the appellate judges upheld a lower-court ruling giving Ms. Brunner until Friday to make the list available.

Social Security data indicate that Ohio election officials found more than 200,000 names that did not match this year; state election officials say their analysis of the data indicates that most of these are individual voters, not duplicate registrations. But Ms. Brunner said that problems with the databases could very well be why the names did not match.

“Federal government red tape, misstated technical information or glitches in databases should not be the basis for voters having to cast provisional ballots,” said Ms. Brunner, adding that she plans to require that notifications are sent to all voters whose records have discrepancies.

The Ohio Republican chairman, Robert T. Bennett, called the court ruling “a victory for the integrity of Ohio’s election.”

“Once again, Jennifer Brunner has wasted valuable taxpayer dollars only to have her partisan agenda rejected by a court of law,” Mr. Bennett said.

Daniel P. Tokaji, a law professor and voting expert at Ohio State University, said he thought the appellate decision was wrong. He said the stated purpose of the “matching” requirement in the federal law, the 2002 Help America Vote Act, was to accelerate procedures at the polls, somewhat like an E-Zpass lane at highway toll plazas. It was meant to allow voters to avoid showing identification if they had already been screened using database checks, he said.

The federal matching requirement, Mr. Tokaji said, was not meant to determine eligibility, deter voter fraud or raise added barriers for voters by forcing some to vote provisionally. “The majority judges don’t seem to grasp this point,” he said.

There is a real risk of large-scale challenges of voters on Election Day, said Richard L. Hasen, a professor at Loyola Law School in Los Angeles, but he added that any effort to use the list to purge the rolls before then could violate the federal provision that prohibits systematic voter removal purges within 90 days of a federal election.

Requiring voters to cast provisional ballots rather than regular ones is a concern because such ballots involve added verification and are often disqualified, according to voting experts.

Ms. Brunner said she was worried that requiring so many voters to cast provisional ballots would also raise tensions at the polls and worsen lines and confusion on Election Day in a year when she is expecting unprecedented turnout.

Wendy Weiser, a lawyer with the Brennan Center for Justice at the New York University law school, said many voters were flagged erroneously because the databases used to check voter registrations were prone to errors. Most nonmatches are the result of typographical errors by government officials and computer errors, she said, not voter ineligibility.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2008 at 9:29pm
Can we spell P-O-T-A-T-O.....ah E.  The Quayle Gaff.  Now we have the Biden Potato.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic