Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Friday, March 29, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mayor's Editorial

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mayor's Editorial
    Posted: Sep 11 2014 at 3:32pm
From MJ for Mr. B

‘We must deal with the reality we face’   

By Larry Mulligan Jr.
   Guest Columnist        Our city has reached a turning point in fire and EMS services with the local fire union rejecting City Council’s unanimously approved proposal to avoid fire layoffs and maintain staffing levels.
   The memorandum of understanding would have extended the current pay and benefits for the current force of 78 firefighters for two years, improved service and transformed the division of fire. The proposal included new part-time and 40-hour positions, which could help with peak staffing needs and add flexibility in staffing, and both would cost significantly less than current positions.
   On average, a full-time firefighter in Middletown makes $103,000 annually, including overtime and benefits, working a 24-hour-on/48-hour-off schedule. With a work week of 51 hours, the average     hourly cost is nearly $40 per hour. Part-time firefighting positions in surrounding jurisdictions cost approximately $18 per hour. Forty-hour work week positions could fill traditional eight- or 12-hour shifts, similar to the staffing model used at hospitals and other 24 / 7 operations.
   While a third of the union’s members were supportive of a new model, two-thirds of the union members voted against the proposal and as a result, our city is faced with reduced staffing in the division of fire.
   The administration will implement two changes that are within our control. The first change will be the “first emergency first” model. Based on the profile of the call, the fire department will respond with the most appropriate piece of equipment, an ambulance for EMS calls or a fire apparatus for fire/ rescue calls, rather than the current model of a full response of both an ambulance     and fire truck. This will deliver three firefighters with the most appropriate piece of equipment in an efficient manner. There are certainly instances when additional personnel are required, and those can be called out as the individual situation warrants.
   The second change will formalize current arrangements around mutual aid into “automatic aid” from neighboring communities’ fire departments. When a structure fire occurs in Middletown or a surrounding community, our department along with other departments will respond. This is a step forward in regional cooperation and aid, and formalizes     current practices. Nearly 78 percent of the 10,459 runs in 2013 were for EMS and medical related issues. Only 10 percent of the calls were fire-related. More specifically, Middletown had 143 fires last year of which 79 were building fires, just 1 percent of the total emergency calls. While additional resources are further away, the need must be balanced with our available resources.
   Middletown City Council has long emphasized public safety by maintaining force levels while cutting other areas of the city. We eliminated entire departments, cut services and outsourced other functions. Over the last decade, public safety spending increased 30 percent while other general fund spending decreased by 29 percent. Unfortunately, there is no place else left to make cuts, which led us to the 2014 budget and the planned reductions in public safety positions.     
   The recently passed public safety levy provides $2.8 million for police and fire; unfortunately, this is a small fraction of the $20 million budget for police and fire. Billing for EMS services generates another $1.6 million, and property taxes pay for about $400,000 of the police and fire pensions, but there is still a large gap that is paid from the general fund. Income taxes generate about $17 million in general fund revenue — less than the total of what we spend for police and fire.
   Over the past several years, council elected to spend some of our reserves so that we could maintain public safety staffing levels. This year, we project spending $1.1 million more than we get in revenue. As everyone knows, a trend like that cannot continue unabated. We have reached the point where change is necessary. Our reserves will likely dip to below 10 percent, far below the     recommended 15 to 20 percent levels for municipal governments. Additionally, the elimination of the local government funding and the estate tax allowed the state to balance its budget, but left a $3 million revenue gap in the city’s general fund. The merits for those changes at the state level can be debated; however, there is nothing we can do about this at the city level.
   We must deal with the reality we face: We have limited resources, and we must live within our means. City Manager Adkins has information on the proposal and fire operations posted on the city’s website; I encourage those interested to review those materials. This turning point requires new ways of thinking and delivering services. We look forward to continued discussions with our unions to look for new ways to provide critical services to the citizens of Middletown.
Every morning is the dawn of a new error...
ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2014 at 5:02pm
Slide 38 of the manager's slide show he states the city had 51 fires in 2013. Today its 79 building fires. So which one is it? Hence the distrust in the city.

Ask the city manager how his new staffing model worked when a serious wreck occurred at Central and Main. NO Middletown units available. Units from outside the city responded with an first unit arrival time of approximately 20 minutes.

Remember the hotel fire? It happened again with a fire on Lafayette. Outside units had to respond within the city again. The manager touts his "automatic aid" plan. That's like going to the hospital with appendicitis and being told the in house doctor is busy but we have another doctor coming from Hamilton. Sure you'll get help, but how long are you going to wait and will it arrive in time?

I'm sure the city is closely tracking response times and will report to the citizens any increase or decrease in those numbers.

The mayor touts part timers and 40 hour workers. The question is, why do we need them if you were going to retain the 11 laid off fire fighters and fill the 4 vacant positions? He says its a long term plan because 26 people are "eligible" to retire. What if nobody retires for 5 to 10 years? Wouldn't the cost to the city be devastating?

This was a 2 year deal. What do you think would happen in two years? LAYOFFS of full time employees with part timers as replacements. Of course who exactly would be getting laid off? Yep, the same guys that were laid off at the end of August. The generosity of the city would shine through as they offered their newly unemployed fire fighters part time employment!

Stay thirsty my friends,

ashkicker
jag123 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jag123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2014 at 5:22am
Hey Ash:

50 fires? 80 fires? You and I both know that 1 fire, maybe with a fatality can take 1 or 2 crews out for an entire shift. That will leave us with 1 or 2 crews to watch over the city. Damn scary! Mutual Aid is great but the extra response time can be dangerous. What happens when the taxpayers of those communities get fed up with their trucks and medic units in Middletown all of the time? However, I think the 336th hurt itself with it's dealing with the city. Many mistakes were made and egos got in the way of common sense.  God help us all! We need firefighters! Cry
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2014 at 6:24am
Both the city and the fire fighters messed this battle outcome in dramatic fashion.

Ever hear of the saying 'bite the nose to spite the face"----hello Middletown Fire Department. AKS union nade the same mistake, training their replacements and having a rather incompetent union leader indicate he was going to bring AKS to its knees, while members went bankrupt, and AKS had record output.

The fire fighters could have had protected union numbers and maintained safety. Instead, they reduced force. Nothing to prohibit the city to chisel away, and keep reducing staff.

On other hand, city spent $ Mm in cash on the fire wall downtown to protect Main Street, while raising issues they have know about for at least 14-15 years. As far back as 2000-2991, Bill Becker referenced the need to keep the rainy date fund at 25% or above to keep the city solvent for 60-90 days; now, they speak of 10%, which keeps it running for 30 days.

Businesses and residents interested in moving to a city facing bankruptcy or having enough reserves to survive 20 days---no.

The fire lads and lassies thought defeating SR5 took care of job security, wrong on that viewpoint. City thinks they can waste $ Mm downtown and cut a few jobs to cry out to the residents, 'we are maintaining city fiscal solvency.' Doug Adkins espouses extending a bike path and tearing down Montgomery Ward for bigger parking for Cincinnati State is a positive sign Middletown is doing great things.

Unlike AKS strike, neither the fire fighters, police, or the city, have any leverage. All are engaged in a scorcjed earth policy that has ruined the city, and greatly harmed residents and businesses that have provided mass taxation many years, to pay for services that continue to diminish.

At the end of the day, a fire department with a fraction of its numbers, and a city having a single digit rainy day reserve is one crisis away from catastropic meltdown. All get burned. Congrats for the destruction.        
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2014 at 6:29am
Poor budgeting practices by the current and past city councils and city building personnel.

Poor budgeting practices in light of knowing that cuts in city money from the state were eminent. No preparation for that fact apparently.

Always money for special projects and their downtown. Always money to loan their buddies for downtown projects. Always money to buy downtown properties (Thatcher estate buildings)and then give them away. Always money suddenly found to finance an idea from the friends of city hall........but absolutely no money for public safety. (or infrastructure replacement/road maintenance)

If the safety levy passed awhile ago was touted to MAINTAIN THE SAFETY WORK FORCE, as advertised, why is it now announced by old Lar babes, that it only finances a small portion of the budget? Apparently, it was never intended to maintain the personnel numbers at all. Another lie from the city leaders perhaps? I'm shocked.

Now, we sit back and watch the lawsuits come rolling into the city building and Leslie Landen's office if we see a trend toward medical deaths related to extended response times. They are setting themselves up for some court time and both the city manager and council, who approved this cluster, will be the defendants. Guaranteed in my case. Let's see how much money they save the city if it gets to this point with lawsuit payouts. Rolling the dice here I think.

I am still not convinced that the city building has cut to the bone as yet. I still see hiring going on in the city council meeting notes. I still see layers of duplicate management in the city hierarchy. Didn't they just ramp up hiring in the worthless Econ. Dev. Dept? Don't tell me you cut it to the quick, then hire more in the back door.

As to "limited resources" Mulligan mentions?........And just who caused that Lar? You, and those before you, haven't found the answer to restore income resources in this town for decades. You saw the tax money generating companies leave and you, and those before you, sat on your hands and did nothing to replenish the pipeline for city income. YOU and those like YOU are the cause of the money woes for this town. YOU have failed and we, the people, are paying the price in limited, longer response time safety issues, bad roads, you name it. Why Mulligan......why? Mercy, how inept can a group of people be? Absolutely no clue on managing money nor a budget. Money IN MUST be MORE (or at the very least MATCH) than money OUT. Simple concept. Time to learn it.

I love this from Mulligan.....

"We must deal with the reality we face: We have limited resources, and we must live within our means"

SO, NOW THAT YOU HAVE REALIZED THIS, WHEN WILL YOU BE ABLE TO START APPLYING THIS CONCEPT? MERCY, HOW AGGRAVATING IS THIS GUY?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
wannaknow View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannaknow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2014 at 7:22am
Like the majority of the population of this city I feel that we are continuing in our downward spiral. I always vote and encourage everyone I know to do the same. Their response is "It won't make any difference". Sadly, that seems to be the mind set.

I read the posts on here and am amazed that the powers that be can't see or don't care about what is happening. And now the safety of the people is at risk.

'They' have defined the problem as being not enough money to employ the
extra staff. From what I've read on here (assuming it's true) the fire and safety forces make more than double the salary in Middletown than the surrounding counties, $40 an hour vs $18. They have a very strong union and no one wants to take a pay cut.

My mom worked at GM and made a high hourly wage. When the economy nose dived GM forced retirement on the high dollar workers and hired new people for considerably less with fewer perks. Yes they cost more initially to train but saved money long term. Please understand, I don't want to disrespect anyone, I'm just curious and wonder if this would be a possible solution. Drastic times call for drastic measures. Would that work in this situation?
ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2014 at 8:52am
wannaknow,

Is the $18 in your "$40 vs. $18" with benefits? The $40 you quote is with benefits. The city can't force anybody out. However, the city DID offer one Lieutenant a 5 figure amount to retire. He politely declined.

acclaro,

I believe the saying is something like "bite your nose off to spite your face". How was the union going to protect jobs? I'm sure you can agree that keeping all present and laid off members would have saved the city nothing. So why were they ready to negotiate? The answer - to get their foot in the door with part timers. Why does the city continue to use the fire department to experiment with? This current "first emergency first" was tried several years ago at station 85, Central and Breiel, and deemed a failure by the fire chief. Did you read anything in the managers slide show about a bonus for fire fighters?

Here are a few tidbits Dougie failed to include in his slide show.

1. "The City has applied for and is being granted an extension of an existing SAFER grant." So the safer grant didn't run out at the end of August. The extension, I believe, went until April of 2015. So they really didn't need to layoff those 11 fire fighters.

2. "The Union recognizes that this represents an agreement for no wage increases during the term of this MOU." Years seven and eight with no pay raise.

3. "Union members will be eligible to receive annual performance pay based on City tax revenues, under a formula to be established by the City." What was that formula? Nobody knows but it sure SOUNDS good! Stare at the swinging watch. Your eyes are getting heavy. You're feeling sleepy, sleepy, slee................

4. "The City further intends to create an additional administrative officer position to manage the use of part-time personnel, at its discretion." So we need another $75k/year job just to schedule part timers?

5. "Effective immediately and during the term of this MOU the Union agrees that the “Operating Procedure – Overtime” will be modified to reduce the number of officers required to be on duty from four (4) to three (3)." A safety concern for fire fighters but were willing to put it on the table.

6. "At no time shall the actual on-duty tour personnel consist of more than one-third (1/3) part-time employees during the term of this MOU." This number started out at 10% then magically changed to 33%. Of course that number would change again after the "term of the MOU".

ashkicker
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2014 at 1:20pm
every year city employee's salaries are posted in the paper. Well, those making over a certain salaray, I believe that is $50 or $60k. If Mr. Mulligan is correct, shouldn't over half of the fire department be on that list?

Why single out the FD, what about the PD? What about other city employees? I understand this is about safety and with them being laid off, but why them? What about administrative positions where work could be streamlined and not put our citizens at risk?

John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2014 at 3:46pm
Thanks for posting 409!
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic