FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bank One Deal Smells

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bank One Deal Smells
    Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 9:28am
A built in 'panic room', count my business partners in. Fast-tracking online LLC registration, and having corporate attorney call LL and request 30 days wait period, to submit a $200 + bid. 
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 9:19am
this could be too cool...
none of my friends or me have ever owned a bank vault!
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 9:14am
I do not know.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 8:38am
Is he part of MPH, LLC? 
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 7:31am
Commercial
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2014 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Middletown29 Middletown29 wrote:

Waldon defaulted on purchase of downtown real estate last month.
I understand thousands in bounced checks were involved.

Did City know about bad checks when they struck deal with Waldon?

Just curious which property.  Commercial/Residential?
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2014 at 8:32pm
Well.....the city prosecutor should, as it would have been investigated. Passing checks above 500.00 is a felony, and usually relying on lack of knowledge about an account balance is not sufficient.

City should expect any buyer to have $100,000 set aside for renovation or upkeep, and an escrow fund set aside as apart of deal associated with the deal if it is based upon other criteria than best bid.

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2014 at 7:01pm
Waldon defaulted on purchase of downtown real estate last month.
I understand thousands in bounced checks were involved.

Did City know about bad checks when they struck deal with Waldon?
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 6:30pm
I believe the Bank One Building should be sold for $225,000 plus $46,000 in remodeling cost that were paid for by the city in October 2013 for the Miami Research part of the building for a total sale price of $271,000

The current annual revenues at Bank One Building are:
Miami Research…………….…….$68,004
Middletown Historical Society….......$1,200
AAUW Lease…………………...…...$700
Total Annual Revenues..……..…...$ 69,904

The city also recently declared this building historic so federal tax credits will be made available for the restoration of the
Bank One Building.

I believe the above information reflects the true value of this property.

over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2014 at 9:00pm
Wake up council get your head out of the sand (or any other part of your anatomy) can't you see Doug,Judy, and Les are not telling you things you need to know.Mr. Mayor you're probably the worst. Your little "golden girl" is not being truthful with you. Or does she tell you and you turn a deaf ear to the truth? Maybe we need to have you relieved of your duties. The two attorneys sitting on council just blindly go along with out questioning. I'm not sure they would be very affective in court if that's how they approach a case. JMO
Iron Man View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iron Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2014 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Miss Kitty Miss Kitty wrote:

I don't know who would be a worse owner- Walden, Robinette, Moormans, that Murphy girl, they're all in bed together.

Thank you for saying what all of Middletown is thinking!

Miss Kitty View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Kitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2014 at 4:11pm
WHY? Because she does what she wants and the people in this community don't have the balls to do anything about it. That's why. Does any one really think Mr Walden has the money to buy this building? I don't know who would be a worse owner- Walden, Robinette, Moormans, that Murphy girl, they're all in bed together.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2014 at 12:18pm
Evidently the City Manager Gilliland received numerous offers to purchase the bank property. Her answer was always the same IT IS NOT FOR SALE.
Along same Chris Walden and Gilliland's tune changed.
Why?

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2014 at 10:47am
Originally posted by over the hill over the hill wrote:

Well as I understand a copy of the ordances pertaining to executive meetings and the sale of city property has been layed on Mr Landen desk I guess to save him time from having to look it up. I suppose he'll get the message.

Might not do any good.....

It has been found that, over time, one problem with involving Law Director Landen in any interpretations is that ole' Les, doesn't quite interpret the law (ordinances) verbatim. There has been evidence in older subjects and posts on this site, that when it comes time for law decisions, Leslie doesn't quite follow the "letter of the law", but rather throws a bit of, let's say, "imagination" into the final decision so that the final outcome will reflect the flavor of the day as to accomodating the wants and needs of a few. It is a convenience offered by the law department for the friends of the city at no extra cost. He is a good servant for Team Gilleland with the added benefit of being the official city crooner. Does it get any better?   

I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2014 at 10:16am
Well as I understand a copy of the ordances pertaining to executive meetings and the sale of city property has been layed on Mr Landen desk I guess to save him time from having to look it up. I suppose he'll get the message.
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2014 at 9:55am
MEMORIES.................At a prior City Council meeting Dougie Atkins proclaimed to the members, "Give me the power and I'll make things happen. He certainly has!!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2014 at 9:28am
Thanks you both for the above information.

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2014 at 3:58am

ORC 1.22(G)(2) To consider the purchase of property for public purposes, or for the sale of property at competitive bidding, if premature disclosure of information would give an unfair competitive or bargaining advantage to a person whose personal, private interest is adverse to the general public interest. No member of a public body shall use division (G)(2) of this section as a subterfuge for providing covert information to prospective buyers or sellers. A purchase or sale of public property is void if the seller or buyer of the public property has received covert information from a member of a public body that has not been disclosed to the general public in sufficient time for other prospective buyers and sellers to prepare and submit offers.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 11:05pm
Point well taken.

They also abuse the emergency sessions. Of course, it is obvious when ordinances are so freely violated, ergo election signs, bidding process, these practices are rising to the surface for all to see.

An Exception: Closed Meetings or Sessions

The general rule is that all meetings of public bodies must be open to the public. If a public body wants to hold a closed or "executive" session, it must identify a specific statutory exemption. Under the Ohio Open Meetings Act, a public body may hold a closed session when it is dealing with one of seven subject-area exemptions found in Ohio Rev. Code § 121.22(G). The seven exemptions are for meetings dealing with the following topics:

• the appointment, employment, dismissal, discipline, promotion, demotion, or compensation of a public employee or official, or the investigation of charges or complaints against a public employee, official, licensee, or regulated individual, unless the public employee, official, licensee, or regulated individual requests a public hearing (this exemption does not apply to the discipline of an elected official for conduct related to the performance of his or her duties);
  • the purchase or sale of real estate for public purposes;
  • pending or imminent litigation;
  • negotiations or bargaining sessions with public employees concerning their compensation or other terms and conditions of their employment;
  • matters required to be kept confidential by federal law or regulations or state statutes;
  • details relative to the security arrangements and emergency response protocols for a public body or a public office;
  • matters involving trade secrets (but only in connection with local hospitals).

The exemptions make it permissible for a public body to close a portion of a meeting; they do not require it to do so. To close a session, a public body must identify the exemption justifying closure on the record during an open meeting, and a majority of members present must vote to hold a closed session. No formal action may be taken during a closed session.

A handful of public bodies may close their meetings to the public when dealing with additional topics, listed in Ohio Rev. Code § 121.22(E). To do so, however, the members must unanimously vote to close the meeting. See page 14 of the Attorney General's guide for details.

For more information on the exceptions to the open-meetings requirements, see the 2012 Sunshine Laws Manual and the Open Government Guide: Ohio.

What Are Your Remedies If You Are Denied Access?

If you believe that a public body has violated your rights, you can sue in state court. Under Ohio law, any person may file a lawsuit for violation of the Open Meetings Act in the court of common pleas for the county where the meeting in question took place. If you succeed in a lawsuit, you can obtain a court order requiring that a meeting or meetings be made open to the public in the future, that a public body satisfy its notice obligations, or that a public body provide access to minutes improperly withheld. In addition, if you go to court and win, the court must force the public body to pay you a $500 civil penalty, and it may order the public body to pay your attorneys' fees. However, if you go to court and lose, a court might order you to pay the winning public body's attorneys' fees, if it determines that your legal claim was frivolous. This would not happen unless your legal claim were utterly and obviously without any merit. If you want to file a lawsuit for violation of the Open Meetings Act, you must file your lawsuit within two years of the violation in question.

In the event that you are denied access to a meeting or class of meetings, you probably want to pursue an informal resolution before filing a lawsuit, which ordinarily is a costly and slow solution. You should contact the public body in question and inform it that you believe your rights have been violated and that you are willing to bring a legal action. You should submit your complaint in writing whenever possible. If the public body continues to deny your request for access, you should consider filing a lawsuit. There may be public interest organizations that would be willing to take on your case for free or for a reduced rate. Please see the Finding Legal Help section for details on finding legal representation.

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 10:14pm
One of the problems is that Middletown's City Council has constantly mis-used the "executive session" provision of the Ohio sunshine law.

They use executive sessions for ANY discussions of real estate. However, executive sessions are only allowable:

"if premature disclosure of information would give an unfair competitive or bargaining advantage to a person whose personal, private interest is adverse to the general public interest"

Middletown's council often uses executive sessions primarily TO GIVE an unfair advantage to one party over other bidders (as in this case)!!!                  
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 8:55pm
Blue7
Downtown Middletown Inc was not involved in this transaction.
Mr Robinette and Mr Coon are the investors that placed the highest bids on the
Bank One property.
We all need to ask the question why wasn’t this TOT transaction stopped during the executive session? Why on earth was this mess every allowed to go before City Council when they knew the rule of law had not been followed? Where was Mr. Landen when the sell of this property was discussed during executive session?

blue7 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 7:49pm
I just looked up DMI's board. I didn't realize MUM was represented there. The whole thing is odd, because if emails were exchanged then of course there would be a paper trail. Did they think DMI would just let it go? I realize I'm asking silly questions but I can't wrap my head around it. 
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 6:57pm
b7; I don't think Robinette & Co. would not keep a gift horse called MUM cash-flowing nearly 3x cost.

blue7 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 6:40pm
Will TOT allow MUM to stay, whereas Robinette wouldn't? Either way it is stupid to risk that kind of exposure, even with good intentions.
Is MUM just using the space for the Applied Research dept?

And aren't they all in the same circles? What made Robinette turn on his group? Or am I off on that assumption? Or am I reading this all wrong?
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 6:11pm
In theory:

Toast buys building at 135,000.

MUM DEAL YIELDS 340,020.

Net Gain for buyer- hurdle rate on capital outlay, less than 24 months.

+ benefit of space for Toast and incidental business of events.

All in on this deal.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic