Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Saturday, May 4, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - High school on lockdown as police search for drugs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

High school on lockdown as police search for drugs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High school on lockdown as police search for drugs
    Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 11:58am

High school on lockdown as police search for drugs

MIDDLETOWN —

Middletown High School is on lockdown this morning while Middletown police and the school resource officer conduct a drug search with some K9 units, according to police scanner traffic.

No one answered the phone at the high school.

Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 2:40pm
More negative publicity for Middletown! Stories like this send a discouraging message to families looking to relocate to the vicinity of Hamilton-Middletown-Lebanon-Monroe. Of course, Judy The Matron and The Doogmeister give very little consideration to promoting in-migration of middle-class working families. They've more preoccupied with propping-up the obsolete downtown and leveling older neighborhoods nearby.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 3:46pm
To be objective.....

Isn't it standard procedure in communities to have the police do random school/locker/facility inspections? This story doesn't specify that the cause of the lockdown is due to drugs being suspected does it? May just be periodic standard procedures going on here, right? Dunno.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 3:57pm
Vet, you are absolutely correct, and I appreciate that you didn't immediately jump to negative conclusions, as the Journal expects people will do when it posts a headline like that.  It was a random search, which are conducted periodically.  No drugs were found.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 4:00pm
The Journal-News really need to be careful with the way the word things. The word lock down immediately brings to mind a shooting, not a drug sweep. 
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 4:29pm
You make a good point, Viet Vet. However, when a story like this is published, it sends a terrible message that is not easily corrected. How is Middletown viewed by the S.W. Ohio region? That's the issue.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by Marcia Andrew Marcia Andrew wrote:

Vet, you are absolutely correct, and I appreciate that you didn't immediately jump to negative conclusions, as the Journal expects people will do when it posts a headline like that.  It was a random search, which are conducted periodically.  No drugs were found.

Thank you Ms. Andrew. Occasionally, I check my negativity at the door and try to use objective reasoning. Like a total eclipse of the sun, it doesn't happen often. You have now witnessed something you may not see again in your lifetime. Me being objective and defending the schools.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by Perplexed Perplexed wrote:

You make a good point, Viet Vet. However, when a story like this is published, it sends a terrible message that is not easily corrected. How is Middletown viewed by the S.W. Ohio region? That's the issue.

Not just the lockdown affecting the image of the city.......Middletown's image has been damaged, perhaps forever, with the antics of city hall with their low income, Section 8 saturation, helping to entice an increase in crime, some done from out-of-towners from Dayton and Cincy, and the fact that this city has become an attraction for those who are not desired by more respected communities. This is a haven for the criminal element now, particularly with theft and heroin usage. Of course, the schools come into play by producing less than desirable results that cause those considering Middletown to look elsewhere for their kids education.

In a nutshell....

MIDDLETOWN IS:

Low performing schools compared to surrounding communities

High crime in the form of theft and robbery

High heroin usage

A nice crop of prostitutes in the downtown area

A stagnated town with few job choices in the "livable pay scale" area

A town with poor streets

A town of poverty and low median wage levels

An inept city government making consistently poor decisions

An economically deprived town with little growth as compared with surrounding communities

A town with little entertainment offering nothing for the younger generation

A cash-strapped city, poorly managed

A blue collar town in reality, mis-focused by a few on making itself a cultural, artsy, education destination which may never come to fruition (and probably won't)

A city of very stubborn, clueless leaders, obsessed with doing things their way with total disregard for the majority of the citizens and their wants and needs.

How do we recover from the mess they have created?

1. Remove the cancer- all current city managers must go along with the bobbleheads we have now on council. They have done too much damage to retain any of them.

2. Replace with new treatment in the form of new thinking, focus, people and direction with emphasis on jobs and 1st priority spending on the basics to benefit ALL people. Police, fire and streets. Extra fluff will have to wait until we satisfy the basics needs. Many will demand more.

3. Increase progressive state of activity as the basics are restored and prioritize the new direction spending emphasizing the greatest need in order of importance while maintaining #1 above.

4. Eliminate special interest spending that doesn't involve the majority of the people. This downtown. artzy stuff, and all ideas like it, must go as a top priority. No more real estate buying crap for the city. No one gets special treatment. Invite the private sector in. Help them get started and let them go staying out of their way and eliminating all the strict rules and hoops to jump through.

5. Watch the city grow and develop without government strangleholds. Keep the gov. nose out of their business, collect the taxes and make frugal decisions on what you collect to run the city. JMO
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2013 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Marcia Andrew Marcia Andrew wrote:

The headline should have read, "Middletown High School - Drug Free" or something like that.

This story is such a positive one and the journal missed it in my opinion. 
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2013 at 2:48pm
I have learned that the same police and same police dogs searched Fenwick, on the same day, but no mention of that in the paper.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic