Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, March 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletown Football Coach Resigns

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middletown Football Coach Resigns
    Posted: Nov 20 2013 at 3:12pm
Journal story....

MIDDIES FOOTBALL

Middies football coach resigns

MIDDLETOWN —
The Middies will be searching for a new head football coach.

Troy Everhart, the Middletown High School football coach for the last three seasons, resigned today and is expected to leave his position as attendance coordinator at the high school.

Everhart, 44, suffered through a 1-9 record this football season, the worst in the school’s 100-year-old football history.........

A NUMBER OF QUESTIONS COULD BE ASKED HERE.......

DID HE RESIGN OVER THE EMBARRASSING 1 AND 9 SEASON, WORST IN SCHOOL HISTORY?

IS A FOOTBALL COACH ONLY AS SUCCESSFUL AS THE TALENT HE HAS AVAILABLE? LAST YEAR'S SUCCESS, WITH SOME TALENTED PLAYERS, VERSUS THIS YEAR'S NON-SUCCESS WITH AVERAGE PLAYERS AT BEST......PERHAPS HE DIDN'T LIKE WHAT HE WAS SEEING IN THE PIPELINE FEEDING HIS TEAM TALENT. PERHAPS EVERHART FELT HE DIDN'T HAVE THE HORSES TO COMPETE IN THE GMC. THERE IS A VAST DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WHAT COLERAIN IS AND A HUGE DROP IN TALENT FOR SECOND PLACE TO THE BOTTOM. LOOK AT PRINCETON. ONCE A DOMINANT TEAM AND PERENNIAL WINNER IN THE LEAGUE......UNTIL COLERAIN SHOWED UP. NOW, IT'S COLERAIN AND THE ALSO-RANS. DOES THE OVERWHELMING SUCCESS AND DOMINANCE OF COLERAIN FRUSTRATE THE OTHER COACHES?

SUCCESS ON THE FIELD MUSTA TRUMPED NEW UPGRADED FACILITIES AND HE DECIDED TO MOVE ON TO COACH BETTER TALENT IN A LEAGUE HE THOUGHT HE HAD A CHANCE OF WINNING IN. DOES HE KNOW SOMETHING WE DON'T AS TO THE TALENT ON THE HORIZON? DUNNO.

SURE SEEMS HE "GAVE UP" QUICKLY DOESN'T IT? THREE SEASONS WITH ONE GOOD ONE, ONE MEDIOCRE AND ONE RATHER EMBARRASSING.

HOPE BACKROOM POLITICS DIDN'T PLAY A ROLE IN THIS. PERHAPS LEBO AND COMPANY ASKED HIM TO LEAVE BASED ON THIS SEASON'S PERFORMANCE. JUST SPECULATING HERE.

GOTTA KEEP A COACH LONGER THAN KRAUSE STAYED, LONGER THAN WHAT'S HIS NAME THAT WENT TO CANTON MCKINLEY AND LONGER THAN EVERHART IS STAYING TO GAIN ANY CONTINUITY IN THE PROGRAM. LOOK AT HOW LONG JACK GORDON AND TIGER ELLISON STAYED. BUILT GOOD PROGRAMS TOO. PROBLEM IS, COACHES WILL STAY WITH A SUCCESSFUL WINNING PROGRAM. LATELY THOSE HAVE BEEN FEW AND FAR BETWEEN FOR MIDDLETOWN FOOTBALL. HOW DOES COLERAIN CRANK OUT SUCCESS EACH YEAR? THAT'S A BLUE-COLLAR COMMUNITY SIMILAR TO MIDDLETOWN, ISN'T IT? IS IT TALENT BEING DEVELOPED IN THE PIPELINE? IS IT COMMUNITY ATTITUDE AND PRIDE ABOUT FOOTBALL THAT STIMULATES THE KIDS TO PARTICIPATE? IS IT WEIGHT AND PHYSICAL PREPARATION? IS IT COACHING TECHNIQUES? WHAT MAKES COLERAIN'S FOOTBALL CLICK AND MIDDLETOWN"S PROGRAM SPUTTER?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2013 at 3:42pm
From what I heard he was under a lot of pressure from a certain group of boosters.  I'm not sure what these boosters think can be accomplished when you have a drop-off in talent on the roster from one year to the next.
itsamee View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsamee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2013 at 8:41am
While I was contracted for the district I would get bugged all the time about the football team. One day, after work, I was shopping while still wearing my MCSD shirt.  I was harassed by a guy asking me "what happened to the football team man? They have never been this bad in history!"  He seriously questioned me for five minutes and all I could say was, "I don't work for the football team, I do not even work for the district, I am an outside contractor."  

He probably got bugged one too many time by these type of people. The ones who could care less about the students education, and more about the stupid football team. 
Itsa me, mario!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2013 at 9:49am
In defense of Everhart, it is probably very difficult to come from a successful Division 2 team, with five playoff appearances, and not be overwhelmed with a Division 1 school that is in a very competitive, tough conference like the GMC. Adding to the issues is that Middletown is so inconsistent from year to year as to placing a competitive team on the field. All the teams in the GMC seem to have their share of ups and downs......with Colerain being the only exception. I'm sure doing battle with Colerain was probably much different than a typical Division 2 school, especially with the vast difference in talent level.

Eight coaches in 24 years is it? Don't see much continuity in any program with that much turnover. The appeal of the job, from a coaches standpoint, doesn't seem to be there.

Interest in academics? I'm looking for continuous improvement from both the classroom AND the athletics programs. Just seems that both have taken a drastic downturn and are a shadow of themselves compared to days past. (Gotta throw this shot in there).....Like the city, the schools, athletics and the image has taken a hit the last 4 decades. It is a shame we all have been in a valley for so many years. Would be nice to see the top again, but that'll take a different way of doing things and I don't see that from the city nor the schools.....that is, that makes any difference.   
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2013 at 7:56am
Middletown is no longer a long-term destination for good coaches who have no roots here imo.
They don't want to move here or enroll their kids in school here, partially because of the flak from parents/kids over their coaching.

Bob Ronai and Jason Krause were both top coaches who recently left the wrong way imo.
Outsider pressures weigh heavy in the athletic dept.
Unreal expectations weigh also--honestly how many of our "star" players have actually gone on to athetic success?
Many self-destruct when leaving the safety of home and their friends.

Troy Everhart is a good guy.
Headstrong and not much interested in the opinions/suggestions of others, and it cost him. I agree that his offense never really played to our atheletes. Jalin carried him for 2 years--not so this season.

We have small kids who have not been trained for years within a program, particularly with weights/strength. Most of our size players aren't as strong as they should be, and lack stamina(and often the commitment to improve). Our asset is speed, which finally plays to the new Barnitz surface.

The teams in our league are all growing in student #s. They grow bigger, stronger players and more of them. Their parents and syystems can afford camps and strength coaches. Here we cannot--though the current hoops program is being very well-conditioned. I REALLY like the new bball coach. We should have decent talent, and will be strong in direction motivation, determination and character. Looking forward to it.

Back to football--best of luck to Troy Everhart--he will survive and so will Middie Football. Should be a decent crop of returnees next year.

My prediction for the next coach--Chris Wells

Now--on to hoops!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2013 at 10:59am
Chris Wells would make a fine coach for Middletown football. Remember talk years ago about his pursuit for the postion with many in the community supporting him. He was a linebacker and with that goes the discipline/all out/aggressiveness that he would offer.

One of my favorite coaches over the years was Joe Tresey. IMO, similar traits in attitude. Jim Place wasn't bad either, just a little more toned down than Tresey.

Not quite time for b-ball yet for me. Still too much football to play with the bowl game saturation and the quest for the national championship. Got the NFL winding down to the playoffs too. Just want to see how quickly the Bengals exit the stage....hopefully the first round as usual. (Sorry Randy Jane.... )

Will be interesting who they choose this time. Will it be aggressive or will it be more timid.

If we are lagging behind in numbers, strength, and kids in the feeder programs who lack stamina and commitment, perhaps we should re-evaluate remaining in the GMC and find a conference more suitable to our situation......or, fix the problems with the strength issue, feeder issue and commitment issue. Don't know if growing the numbers is doable here.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2013 at 3:11pm
Any news on the candidates for coach? Time to get started, right? New coach has to find out what he has to work with. Establish a strength program that is more intense than current. There are new plays to learn, kids to find who want to play. Size of players to consider to match the Colerain's of the league. Middletown's program took a severe hit this year with regard to talent, conditioning, strength, size and ability. Need to revamp the program don't we? Instead of all speed with smaller players, how about finding some decent sized guys who are agile and can block on offense and hold the defensive side of the ball without gettin' pushed around to go along with all the track speed?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 3:12pm
No update on a new coach or are they going the wait until opening season kick-off and pull someone from the Barnitz Stadium stands to coach?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2014 at 1:53pm
Congratulations to Chris Wells. Let's bring that "linebacker mentality" and toughness to the kids and improve that defense. You have a pipeline to the speed factor of the game. Now, you need to add more weight, size, durability and stamina to the program.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic