Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Sunday, May 19, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SECTION 8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Bocephus Bocephus wrote:

Could Aj have seen the writing on the wall and bail before the feds put the hammer down?

Was thinking the same.Hope that they give them to Butler County and are dear Council can thank Dougie.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 1:44pm

Could Aj have seen the writing on the wall and bail before the feds put the hammer down?

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

I expect this to be settled constructively, and not in a punitive manner.
Will we lose the program? Maybe
Will we lose the vouchers? Doubtful but hopeful
They are looking for agreeable resolution instead of confrontation.
Don't expect any pound of flesh!

Spider, I'd like to think that you are correct in your thinking. I have my doubts given the stubborn nature of the city leaders and council and their insistence on having it their way. Wouldn't surprise me that in the final chapter, the fed hammer falls on the city and the city honchos will be in denial til the end. I'd like to see the program administration go elsewhere. Would rather see the program dissappear to the level we are suppose to have. All of this could have been avoided and no reason for reduction talk if past/current city leaders had accepted no more than the correct number of vouchers for a city this size. But......
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 1:13pm
Doug's misguided and utterly wasteful actions of the past five years has already further harmed the city.  Anything that HUD may do (not do) will only be icing on the cake.  In other words, so many lost opportunities and poor stewardship of our federal tax dollars.  Remember the famous quote of Doug when asked about financial management of the HUD Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP), "we can lose up to $75,000 per each housing acquisition, rehabilitation and resale project."  Urban Renewal is alive and well in Middletown.  In my opinion, he can take it to Mason where he lives.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 1:07pm

MIDDLETOWN — 

The city is not at risk of losing federal funding or being sued by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development if it proceeds with a plan to eliminate 1,008 Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers over the next five years — at least not right now, said Community Revitalization Director Doug Adkins.

“You’re at no risk right this minute,” Adkins told Middletown City Council at the board’s Tuesday meeting. “Zero.”

Adkins presented council members with five options for responding to a Dec. 21 letter the city received from HUD about its plan to cut Section 8 vouchers. In the letter, HUD officials told city officials that they needed to either fill Middletown’s available vouchers, transfer the city’s voucher program to the Butler Metropolitan Housing Agency or face possible legal action.

Adkins told council he disagreed with characterizations of HUD’s letter as being “strongly worded.” He said he thought the letter was “diplomatically written” given each side’s differing point of view on the matter.

“No fair housing or civil rights threats were made, no regulatory violations were cited,” said Adkins, a former attorney with the U.S. Labor Department. “We have been politely asked if we would like to walk away and give our program to Butler Metro… As an attorney, I’m looking for, where’s the hammer?”
    HUD stated in 2010 that they would not reduce the number of vouchers in Middletown in answer to City Halls 96 page analysis of the Section 8 Program.
    Then Dougie used the program transfer from CONSOC to Nelson and Assoc. for not filling the vouchers and HUD said nothing.
    The above article is word for word the very same statement that Dougie made in front of council six months ago…sooo why would council need a closed door meeting to hear this very same information again.?
    Well Dougie what are you, Ms Judy and council members going to do when HUD presents you with a long list of violations? Do you really believe that HUD after spending all this time and money will forgive and forget and let
Middletown keep the Section 8 Program so you can keep your job?
    Where is all the money needed for this legal action and these attorney fees going to come from for you and your ego to fight HUD?

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 12:47pm
I expect this to be settled constructively, and not in a punitive manner.
Will we lose the program? Maybe
Will we lose the vouchers? Doubtful but hopeful
They are looking for agreeable resolution instead of confrontation.
Don't expect any pound of flesh!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 11:43am
“You’re at no risk right this minute,” Adkins told Middletown City Council at the board’s Tuesday meeting. “Zero.”

No risk RIGHT THIS MINUTE? Wow, now there's some confidence for council to make a decision. HOW ABOUT TOMORROW DOUG. ANY RISK THEN?

"Adkins told council he disagreed with characterizations of HUD’s letter as being “strongly worded.” He said he thought the letter was “diplomatically written” given each side’s differing point of view on the matter."

NO, DOUGIE, HERE'S WHAT THEY SAID IN THEIR LETTER.....

HUD officials told city officials that they needed to either fill Middletown’s available vouchers, transfer the city’s voucher program to the Butler Metropolitan Housing Agency or face possible legal action.

LOOKS LIKE THE CITY HAS THREE CHOICES AND THERE IS SOME URGENCY AS TO MAKING UP THEIR MIND IN MAKING THAT CHOICE.....EITHER FILL 'EM, TRANSFER 'EM, OR FACE LEGAL ACTION. NO AMBIGUITY THERE PAL.

I'M TELLIN' YA COUNCIL, IF YOU LISTEN TO DOUG'S ADVISE AND PROCRASTINATE ON YOUR DECISION, YOU ALL MIGHT FIND YOURSELVES IN FEDERAL COURT FASTER THAN YOU CAN WHISTLE DIXIE. I KNOW YOU HAVE EGO ISSUES HAVING DONE THINGS YOUR WAY FOR SO LONG, BUT I BELIEVE THE FEDS CAN TRUMP YOUR EGOS AND THERE IS A GOOD POSSIBILITY THAT YOU WON'T LIKE THE OUTCOME AS IT MAY BE HAZARDOUS TO THE CITY AS TO FINES. YOU DUG THE SECTION 8 HOLE

NOW, PAY THE PIPER.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
OVER SIGHT View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OVER SIGHT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 10:35am

Council weighs options for response to HUD

By Michael D. Pitman

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN — 

The city is not at risk of losing federal funding or being sued by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development if it proceeds with a plan to eliminate 1,008 Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers over the next five years — at least not right now, said Community Revitalization Director Doug Adkins.

Adkins presented council members with five options for responding to a Dec. 21 letter the city received from HUD about its plan to cut Section 8 vouchers. In the letter, HUD officials told city officials that they needed to either fill Middletown’s available vouchers, transfer the city’s voucher program to the Butler Metropolitan Housing Agency or face possible legal action.

Adkins told council he disagreed with characterizations of HUD’s letter as being “strongly worded.” He said he thought the letter was “diplomatically written” given each side’s differing point of view on the matter.

“No fair housing or civil rights threats were made, no regulatory violations were cited,” said Adkins, a former attorney with the U.S. Labor Department. “We have been politely asked if we would like to walk away and give our program to Butler Metro… As an attorney, I’m looking for, where’s the hammer?”Cry

SEEMS LIKE TO ME THOR HAS CAME TO TOWN Ouch HEY DOUG DOES IT HURT?

Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2013 at 10:02pm

LOLLOL
Originally posted by FmrMide81 FmrMide81 wrote:

Well, them fries aren't gonna cook themselves!!!
LOL
FmrMide81 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FmrMide81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2013 at 8:45pm
Well, them fries aren't gonna cook themselves!!!
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2013 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by 409 409 wrote:

From MJ:
City meets in executive session about potential litigation
By Michael D. Pitman

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN —

After an abundance of correspondence from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, the city’s public housing agency held an unscheduled closed-door meeting Thursday afternoon.

It wasn’t unexpected HUD would shine a spotlight on the city following its October 2012-approved plan to reduce the number of Housing Choice Vouchers, also known as Section 8, by 1,008 over a five-year period. And despite subsequent letters from HUD asking the city to reconsider, the city is staying the course — a course of action many on council said they believe is right.

“I am concerned about the many hoops HUD is making us jump through,” said Vice Mayor Dan Picard. “I’m not surprised by the requests of the other programs that we have. We’re rattling their cage and they’re rattling back.”

Councilwoman Ann Mort said she also isn’t surprised by HUD’s responses and chalked it up as “part of the way we work through all of this.”

The process, Mort said, is moving slowly, but “it’s like everything in government that grinds slowly, and that’s one of the things we have to wade through.”

MPHA, which consists of all seven members of city council, called for the executive session meeting on the second floor of the Middletown City Building. The purpose of the meeting was for “disputes involving the public body that are the subject of pending or imminent court action,” according to the only notice of the meeting, which was published among the legal ads in Wednesday’s Middletown Journal.

No discussion happened before or after the close-door session, and no decisions were made, according to City Manager Judy Gilleland.

Picard, who said he couldn’t talk about Thursday’s discussion, said he “fully expects” that wasn’t the last executive session on the topic since it is an ongoing issue.

In July, the city underwent a three-day Civil Rights Compliance review of its Section 8 program, and a second three-day review occurred earlier this week. Since it’s an ongoing review, HUD officials aren’t commenting.

Councilwoman Anita Scott Jones was brief in her comments, saying, “I believe that where we are is where we need to be, and that’s all I can say right now.” Councilman Joe Mulligan was also hesitant to talk too much Friday, just a day after the executive session meeting.

“I think that staff is working through answering HUD’s concerns,” he said. “The report that Doug Adkins and his team put together (and presented in October), that really was a comprehensive analysis of what direction the city should go in terms of the number of vouchers.”

Mayor Larry Mulligan and Councilman Josh Laubach declined to comment about the meeting, or the scrutiny HUD has been placing on the city.

Councilman A.J. Smith, who couldn’t attend the 4:30 p.m. meeting due to a work conflict, said his concern is with “the actions of the city of Middletown.”

“It’s been well documented and well stated my position on the direction the city of Middletown is interested in taking,” he said. “I believe HUD is doing the right thing, and I think they need to continue and monitor what’s going on. It’s quality control.”

Any one else impressed that AJ actually has a job now ? LOLLOL
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2013 at 8:19pm
Obama and his minions at HUD are getting ready make examples of these fools and they don't even realize it LOL 
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2013 at 8:11pm
From MJ:
City meets in executive session about potential litigation
By Michael D. Pitman

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN —

After an abundance of correspondence from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, the city’s public housing agency held an unscheduled closed-door meeting Thursday afternoon.

It wasn’t unexpected HUD would shine a spotlight on the city following its October 2012-approved plan to reduce the number of Housing Choice Vouchers, also known as Section 8, by 1,008 over a five-year period. And despite subsequent letters from HUD asking the city to reconsider, the city is staying the course — a course of action many on council said they believe is right.

“I am concerned about the many hoops HUD is making us jump through,” said Vice Mayor Dan Picard. “I’m not surprised by the requests of the other programs that we have. We’re rattling their cage and they’re rattling back.”

Councilwoman Ann Mort said she also isn’t surprised by HUD’s responses and chalked it up as “part of the way we work through all of this.”

The process, Mort said, is moving slowly, but “it’s like everything in government that grinds slowly, and that’s one of the things we have to wade through.”

MPHA, which consists of all seven members of city council, called for the executive session meeting on the second floor of the Middletown City Building. The purpose of the meeting was for “disputes involving the public body that are the subject of pending or imminent court action,” according to the only notice of the meeting, which was published among the legal ads in Wednesday’s Middletown Journal.

No discussion happened before or after the close-door session, and no decisions were made, according to City Manager Judy Gilleland.

Picard, who said he couldn’t talk about Thursday’s discussion, said he “fully expects” that wasn’t the last executive session on the topic since it is an ongoing issue.

In July, the city underwent a three-day Civil Rights Compliance review of its Section 8 program, and a second three-day review occurred earlier this week. Since it’s an ongoing review, HUD officials aren’t commenting.

Councilwoman Anita Scott Jones was brief in her comments, saying, “I believe that where we are is where we need to be, and that’s all I can say right now.” Councilman Joe Mulligan was also hesitant to talk too much Friday, just a day after the executive session meeting.

“I think that staff is working through answering HUD’s concerns,” he said. “The report that Doug Adkins and his team put together (and presented in October), that really was a comprehensive analysis of what direction the city should go in terms of the number of vouchers.”

Mayor Larry Mulligan and Councilman Josh Laubach declined to comment about the meeting, or the scrutiny HUD has been placing on the city.

Councilman A.J. Smith, who couldn’t attend the 4:30 p.m. meeting due to a work conflict, said his concern is with “the actions of the city of Middletown.”

“It’s been well documented and well stated my position on the direction the city of Middletown is interested in taking,” he said. “I believe HUD is doing the right thing, and I think they need to continue and monitor what’s going on. It’s quality control.”

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2013 at 3:30am
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

The MPHA did have a public meeting today at City Hall in room 2-C at 4:30 p.m.
Roll call was taken and then they went into Executive Session.
The attorney that City Hall hired to represent them in the HUD case was also present.

Did the attorney have a cheap suit and beady eyes???  Maybe he was there to teach them the proper way to plead the fifth??? LOL LOL LOL
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2013 at 10:14pm
Judy and Dougie have always been staunch supporters of their own "unique brand" of community participation??  WackoWacko  How pathetic and certainly not what the mainstream of our country is about.  So sad that the MJ is also complicit in filtering and sanitizing the so-called news that's in their little paper.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2013 at 9:14pm

Hmmm...did City Hall forget to notify the public about this public meeting?

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2013 at 9:04pm

The MPHA did have a public meeting today at City Hall in room 2-C at 4:30 p.m.
Roll call was taken and then they went into Executive Session.
The attorney that City Hall hired to represent them in the HUD case was also present.

over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2013 at 4:05pm
There will a meeting at the city building in the chamber I think. It's at 4:30 today. They will probably take it to executive session so no one knows what's said. Does Sunshine laws cover that? Just wondering.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2013 at 12:52pm
Over the Hill
Hmmm....I thought the MPHA meeting wasn't until next Tuesday just before the council meeting.
Surly those at City Hall aren't trying to hide something from us.
Is HUD still in town?
Will this meeting be live on TV Middletown?
Does the Middletown Journal know about this meeting?

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2013 at 11:25am
There is a housing meeting Thursday at 4:30 at the city building may be we all should show up to see what they have to say about the current situation.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2013 at 8:15pm
Hmmmm Hmmmm This is getting REAL INTERESTING!!!
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2013 at 6:22pm
I had reason to be at the courthouse in Hamilton earlier today, and I overheard two guys talking about Middletown City officials.  (I don't know who the two guys were, but they had cheap suits and beady eyes, so I guess they were lawyers. Wink)

One told the other that Landen and the other high muckety-mucks from Middletown City Hall were planning on hiding behind the fifth amendment when called to testify before HUD.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2013 at 12:18pm
I hope that they give them to Butler County. If that happens Mr.A will loose one of his checks he doesn't deserve.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2013 at 11:49am
The reason JUDY was brought here was to get rid of SEC 8. So she came in loaded for bear. The problem was she did not do her homework first. She knew nothing about Sec 8 or how it worked, so she started something she had no idea how to win.So she "winged" it while bragging how she was going to get rid of it. Well, you know the rest of the story.She's being REAL quiet right now because her name is at the head of the list " Executive Director Of Middletown Public Housing". How's that working for you?
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2013 at 10:59am
Acclaro,

Back in 2008 a few months after the arrival of J. Gilleland, she became fixated with using as many Federal dollars as possible to undertake a massive property demolition program in older neighborhoods.  To do this, housing rehabilitation efforts were minimalized; they did have some cosmetic efforts though.  Next, there's the NSP fiasco where millions were squandered outside of Ward 2 and part of Ward 1 where they were most needed.  Most recently, Federal dollars craftily shifted around to enable the demolition of 350 properties.  This further reduced funding allocated to the city to address increasing needs in the Wards named above.

Not much is known about efforts of a couple of city employees working out of the basement of city hall to attack CONSOC who then administered the S8 program.  They constantly bit the ankles of J. Gilleland with the hopes of getting rid of them.  In fact, one of these employees, someone very, very much in the know now, was directed by his supervisor to stop concerning himself with S8 issues and CONSOC.  Note:  there's a lot more to this that may be revealed later.

Acclaro, so much staff time and administrative money has been spent on S8 matters.  The other consideration is the disgusting waste of Federal dollars and failed efforts to stem the tide of deterioration and disinvestment in older neighborhoods.

You're correct once again in pointing out the array of missed opportunities in furthering economic development and badly needed quality job growth.  Thanks to Judy, Doug, City Council, etc., Middletown has lost five years of possibilities for a better community in favor of downtown, property demolition, Section 8, etc.  A sad story.

Thanks to people like Vivian Moon, you, etc., there may be hope for better times in the future.  Keep up the good work.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic