FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Admin. Layoffs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Admin. Layoffs
    Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 6:15am
Today's Journal....

Middletown City Schools reduces administrative staff
Superintendent: Cuts in lieu of $1.2 million less in federal funding

MIDDLETOWN —
The Middletown Board of Education has decided to reduce the school district’s staffing by eight administrative positions in anticipation of receiving $1 million less in federal funding next year.

The district will save about $370,000 in annual salaries through the reduction in force, which was approved April 22 and will be effective July 1.

Rasmussen said the areas hit hardest by the upcoming reduction in federal funds will be the curriculum, instruction and professional development departments.

“Since those programs are the core mission of a school,.......

CUTTING THE CORE PROGRAMS? WHY WOULD YOU CUT THE VERY REASON YOU ARE THERE? WOULDN'T YOU CUT THE FRILLS FIRST?

The eight positions eliminated are: high school attendance officer; purchasing clerk at administrative building; accounting clerk at administration; two department secretaries; payroll clerk at administration; and two coordinators at administration

NEVER HAVE UNDERSTOOD WHEN COMPANIES (OR PUBLIC ENTITIES) LAY PEOPLE OFF, IT'S ALWAYS THE PEOPLE AT THE LOWER ECHELONS THAT GET THE BOOT. NEVER THE MIDDLE MANAGEMENT, TOP MANAGEMENT NOR ANY IN THE HIGHER SALARY BRACKETS. COULD HAVE LAYED OFF A COUPLE OF ASST. PRINCIPALS, A DIRECTOR OR TWO AND DIVIDED OUT THE OUTGOING POSITIONS JOB RESPONSIBILITES AND SALVAGED ALL THOSE LISTED ABOVE. YA DON'T NEED ALL OF THOSE ASSIST. TO THE ASSIST'S. SUCKING THE COFFEE CUP, SITTING BEHIND A COMPUTER AND GOING TO MEETING AFTER MEETING EACH DAY. GLORIFIED, HIGHLY PAID PAPER SHUFFLERS AND TOO MUCH MIDDLE MANAGEMENT IN MOST ORGANIZATIONS.

Rasmussen said the move to eliminate the eight positions will help reallocate resources to focus on reducing elementary class size and increasing early literacy

"THE MOVE TO ELIMINATE THE EIGHT POSITIONS WILL HELP REALLOCATE RESOURCES"..... GREAT MANAGER TALK. AN ATTEMPT TO "SOFTEN" THE IMPACT OF THE REDUCTIONS?

Rasmussen said Middletown has had its largest kindergarten enrollment in 10 years and, as a result, will hire eight additional elementary teachers next year to reduce the number of children each teacher has in their classroom

NOW I WONDER WHY THIS IS THE LARGEST ENROLLMENT IN 10 YEARS?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 7:14am
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

NOW I WONDER WHY THIS IS THE LARGEST ENROLLMENT IN 10 YEARS?
I dunno...was there a long power outage six or so years ago??? LOL  LOL  LOL
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 7:52am
seems like sensibe moves to me
though $370 vs. $1.2mill?
darned if u do--or if u don't..........

as for the k surge----maybe more peeople can't afford private schooling?
more section 8 kids?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 10:24am
"more section 8 kids?"

Would be my guess as to the increase in kids at that age. Will guess that this is a result of the surge in Section 8/low income being brought to Middletown as they enjoy the freebie reduction programs being offered while stretching the city/school services to the max.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic