FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

White Glove Test

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: White Glove Test
    Posted: Aug 22 2008 at 10:17am

What about the White Glove Test?

Wasn't this supposed to be a state of the art 'clean' coke plant?
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2008 at 10:19am
Flashback Calendar Event March 26, 2008: SunCoke Plant - Planning Commission Vote

Frank Schiavone makes the case against the SunCoke on basis of location an pollution.

Perry Thactcher went to the Havermil coke plant with the thought that it would be a dirty, nasty place.He and other councilpeople were given white gloves to wear while they were there."I did not expect to have white gloves at the end of the tour, but I did." said Mr. Thatcher

From Middletown Journal Article today by Staff Writer:
"The Ohio Environmental Protection Agency is considering AK Steel and the proposed $340 million coke-making and heat recovery co-generation plant as one entity while reviewing the permit because AK will be the soul purchaser of the coke. This means AK's credits could be used for the increased emissions to be produced by SunCoke, said Paul Tedtman of the Ohio EPA."

Did I miss something. Is there a disconnect here? I thought the plant was so clean, you could wear white gloves and come out with, 'white gloves.' One would have to assume that if your gloves were white, pollution would not be an issue.

The slide says "Simplified Process Diagram" as a SunCoke presenter explained why the plant was so clean and would have minimal impace on air and water.

I know Middletown wants this plant, but there does seem to be some mis-leading information being presented.

The biggest concern I have is the impact on Monroe without a vote from Monroe. Will the pollution from this plant really have an impact on Monroe Local Schools and the neighborhood that abuts the plant?

There currently are 32 links on Main Street Monroe and The Voice regarding SunCoke. The Monroe community is largely concerned.

Not sure what to think. I am proMiddletown but I am also proMonroe. The worst thing that could happen to both is to lose AK Steel in the long run. This issue could entice AK to take their plant away from Middletown, and retool with a new modern facility somewhere else.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2008 at 9:46am
John- When West Chester, Springboro, Mason or Lebanon consider a new company or business for their community, do they ask surrounding communities what they think about the decision? When Franklin locates a business in their community, do they ask Middletown how it will impact them? I doubt that any community would ask another community that question. They don't care what the surrounding towns are doing. They're too worried about economic survival/revenue for themselves. Do you think Monroe would ask if the roles were reversed? I doubt it.Do you think Monroe would care about Middletown, if the roles were reversed?Has Monroe asked Middletown what it thinks about anything? Nope. You are suggesting that a town (Middletown), that is dying because of the lack of decent paying jobs and revenue generation, to actually ask permission to bring jobs here. Why? On the subject of economic development, when it comes down to it, it's really none of Monroe's business who Middletown chooses to bring in. The pollution issue/plant location makes it more complicated, but the raw fact is, the land that we are talking about is still located in Middletown. Would this controversy be present if the new proposal was "less polluting" and a more palatable business? Maybe, and there would probably still be some Monroe people trying to stick their nose in Middletown's business.
HereIam View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HereIam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2008 at 2:28pm
I believe the "ask our neighbors" syndrome that Middletown is experiencing comes directly from the Chamber of Commerce.  Our chamber is not just for Middletown, it is for Middletown, Monroe, Trenton, and others I believe.  They feel they have to "ask our neighbors" so that they don't offend anyone and thus can keep their membership up.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2008 at 3:42pm
VietVet- I don't rightly know if they ask or not. I would hope so if it were something that would affect the town. Like a coal burning trash plant or a paper bleaching facility.

I would expect that no permission be required for office buildings, retail and restaurant.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic