FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some hard questions...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2013 at 2:40pm

Here’s a tough another hard question that members of City council should be asking the Law Director:

This area of South Main Street has street lights and they are keeping those existing street lights under this new scheme!!!  This makes it clear that the new phony gas lamp posts and lights are nothing more than decorations. Isn’t it ILLEGAL to force those who did not sign the petition to spend thousands of dollars on DECORATIVE items???  They are NOT installing "street lights", they already HAVE "street lights"!  They are "adding decorative lighting"!  (And Les, if you are going to try to say that this is a safety item, then doesn’t the city then have a fiduciary duty to pick the lighting system that will attain a safe lighting level at the least cost rather than the expensive decorative scheme???)

There is NO REASON not to choose the REAL American alternative: Let those who desire to decorate their properties with fake olde tyme lights (that are historically inaccurate) do it themselves, on their own property (outside the right-of-way) and leave government and the rest of us out of it!!!

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2013 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by ktf1179 ktf1179 wrote:

How about investing in some new historic street lights in the many subdivisions of Middletown? I am sure with more lighting, it should cut down on the amount of crime that happens at night.

Ktf,

If you have a Duke Energy power pole on your property, Duke will be pleased to install a security light (similar to a street light) on their pole that turns on and off at the same time as the street lights.

If I am not mistaken, Duke Energy will also install a security light if you have an acceptable light post installed by others on your property, or if you have an acceptable location on a barn, garage, or other outbuilding.  I believe that they will even sell you (or arrange for you to buy from others) a decorative replica imitation gas-style lamp post and lamp for installation, for example, next to your driveway by the sidewalk.  I think that you can get one exactly like the folks on South Main Street want!  (If you and several of your neighbors decide to do this all at the same time, I’d guess that you could get a really good installation price!)

Oh…there will be one difference between your new decorative or security light and the one the folks on South Main Street want:  Duke will charge about $10 per month to YOUR electric bill each and every month for each such light.  Sorry, but the rest of us won’t be chipping in to pay that for you.

I hope that this helps.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2013 at 10:09am
My house was built in 1975, and my neighborhood streets still have the same period pavement since it was built. Can I get some Historic Re-pavement as well Wink

How about investing in some new historic street lights in the many subdivisions of Middletown? I am sure with more lighting, it should cut down on the amount of crime that happens at night.
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2013 at 8:34am

My house was built in the early 1960's.  Instead of period lighting I would just like some period pavement for my woeful streetCan I get the rest of the town to pay for this?

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2013 at 12:28am

Some hard questions...about BUDGETS and street lights!!!

Ms. Gilleland herself presented budgets to “Move the cash balance down to a floor of 15% of expenditures over the two year period (2012 to 2013)”.  (Our City’s cash reserve at the beginning of 2012 was 21.4%.)

Total Budgeted Expenditures in 2012 were $126.6 million and grew to $137.8 million in 2013—an increase of over $11 million dollars in just one year!!!

For two years now, we have been spending more than we have been taking in.  Where is Ms. Gilleland finding the money to pay for these decorative lights for a few of her friends???  And why aren’t City Council members asking her where the money is is going to come from when just last October she told them that everything had been cut to the bone and we had to budget money from our RAINY DAY FUND (cash reserves) just to run the city???

From the minutes of the 11/6/2012 City Council meeting:

“Mr. J. Mulligan commented that can support this budget and he will vote for it but that he doesn’t want to be in this same position again a year from now where the General Fund expenditures exceed the General Fund revenues. As a Council we have to tackle some tough long term issues.”

Well, J. Mulligan, $5,000 or so a year ($10,000 or more, if the folks in Highlands get their way) for decorative lights for a handful of residents from now until the end of time sounds like a “long term issue”.  It’s not to tough to tackle, though.  Just tell your colleagues on Council to vote NO!!! (Or were you just politicking when you said that last November and are you really a big TAX-AND-SPEND liberal???)

From the minutes of the 11/6/2012 City Council meeting:

“Ms. Gilleland addressed the issue of equalization of expenditures and revenues. She responded that the 2011 budget was a really tough time with deep cuts with the reduction of 3.7M in expenditures. She thought that the 2014 budget would be an appropriate time to examine additional reductions.”

Well, Ms. Gilleland, the time for the 2014 budget examination is only a couple of months away.  Will you be hand-wringing, and telling everyone how we have “cut everything to the bone” again???  Or, are decorative lights for a handful of friends more important than raises, public safety, upkeep of the cemetery, parks, street repairs, sewer maintenance, and all of the other worthy things that benefit the entire city we keep hearing that we won’t have money for???

And my ears must’ve deceived me  last Tuesday night, because I thought I heard Ms. Gilleland tell Ms. Scott-Jones that residents would NOT be assessed for street light utility or maintenance costs.  But read the following from the minutes of the 10/02/2012 City Council meeting:

“Ms. Gilleland highlighted the goals of the 20122017 Strategic Plan. She also showed visuals of a holistic transformational strategy. She gave some food for thought that included:  Street Light Assessments that could raise $700,000 for the general fund if council is willing to pass this cost along to the residents.” 

Now pay attention Middletonians, and especially you council members who will be voting on the decorative lights for that handful of friends of City Hall on South Main Street:  When Ms. Gilleland suggests “to pass this cost along to the residents”, she is (at best) making a mis-statement of the situation.  The residents ALREADY pay these costs, so they can NOT be “passed along”!!!  We residents pay for the costs of electricity and maintenance for all street lights within our city from all of the myriad of other taxes that the City already collects from us!!!  What she is actually suggesting is that City Council “assess” a NEW TAX—a street light tax-- but not call it a “tax”, call it a “fee” and tack it onto our water and sewage usage bills!!  (Can anyone explain to me what street lights have to do with water or sewage usage???)  Now pay even closer attention:  I believe that this new TAX (disguised as a “fee”) or “assessment” will be ILLEGAL.

Now remember, Council members and all Middletownians, for two years in a row at budget time, Ms. Gilleland has said that everything has been cut to the bone, there was no money to spare ANYWHERE, and she needed big bucks from our cash reserves JUST TO RUN THE CITY!!!  And anytime the common citizen suggest an expenditure, there just IS NO MONEY!!!  Yet, whenever the "right people" want something, big wads of cash are suddenly found!!  Someone must ask "WHERE ARE THESE JACKPOTS COMING FROM???"

Also remember that there IS an easy alternative here:  Let those that want these decorative lights install them a few feet away OUTSIDE the right-of-way on their own property and leave the City (and the rest of the taxpayers) out of it!  That's exactly what the rest of us have to do if we want decorative (or security) lights.  There is absolutely no reason you can't do the same!!!  (Just coordinate through one of the numerous "historic societies" to select a uniform lamp post design!!!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic