Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Friday, March 29, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

City manager declines pay bonus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: City manager declines pay bonus
    Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 7:22am

Posted: 6:00 a.m. Sunday, Nov. 18, 2012

City manager declines pay bonus

Union leaders say their members haven’t had raises in years; mayor says pay “recognizes the importance of the position and the challenges of the position.”

Michael D. Pitman
Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN —

City Manager Judy Gilleland said she plans to decline the $3,750 bonus and five extra vacation days offered to her by Middletown City Council after six of the city’s eight public employee unions came out strongly against the benefit proposal.

“I appreciate the sentiments behind City Council’s offer of a longevity benefit. Having the confidence of City Council means a great deal to a city manager,” Gilleland said Saturday in a written statement to The Journal. “At this time, I will stand by my employees and decline the benefit. The city of Middletown employees and I remain committed to improving Middletown and look forward to a bright future.”

Gilleland’s decision came less than 24 hours after leaders of the police, fire, public works, corrections and dispatchers unions, which represent between 200 to 225 of the city’s 350 employees, issued a joint statement, saying that such perks for the city manager would be unacceptable when the “working-class” people they represent haven’t received pay raises in years.

City Council is expected to vote Tuesday night on a pay and benefits ordinance that includes a section allowing Gilleland to begin collecting annually longevity pay — or 3 percent of her $125,000 base salary — next year. She would also receive five more vacations days, giving her a total of 27. Longevity pay, which is common in municipal government, is a type of bonus for an employee who works decades for a city.

The ordinance council will vote on would change the current rules, which allow longevity pay to be dispersed at 1 percent after 10 years, 2 percent after 15 years and 3 percent after 20 years. Gilleland, and future city managers, would be eligible to receive the full 3 percent after just five years.

But with Gilleland saying she won’t accept the benefit, the ordinance — or at least the parts pertaining to the city manager — could be a dead issue.

In a statement to The Journal on Friday, union leaders called for Gilleland to “lead by example” and make the same financial sacrifices she has asked of her employees.

“As our current contracts read, there are zero pay increases for the life expectancy of our contracts,” the unions’ statement reads. “How is it that the city manager can ask us to take zero percent in pay increases, but advocate one for herself?”

Mayor Larry Mulligan said the city manager did not ask for any special perks and that the ordinance under consideration was suggested by council members. He said city managers don’t typically stay in one position for long and longevity pay “recognizes the importance of the position and the challenges of the position.”

“It’s a tough position and I doubt we have a city manager around here for 20 years,” Mulligan said.

Chris Klug, vice president of IAFF Local 336, said the unions’ solidarity “is not a witch hunt” for the city manager.

“She’s done some good things, but so has the fire services, the police department and other unions,” Klug said.

Klug said while the city’s bargaining units have agreed to help the city get through recent tough economic times, “we’re just asking her to do the same thing.”

Mulligan said he appreciates the willingness of the unions membership to accept no pay increases in their last contracts, but noted over the past decade the city’s unions have received pay raises when non-organized employees have not.

Law Director Les Landen said all of the city’s bargaining units have contracts and some perks have been added to show goodwill toward them, including allowing vacation and sick time to be cashed in early. The city just offered its two police unions a one-time $600 signing bonus for each member and made a similar deal with its transit union, he said.

over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 8:24am
Who were the council people recomending this raise? Oh wait maybe Mullicans and Mort? He was still in there swinging for Judy. How do you recall a mayor?
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 8:35am
That's strange!!!

I watch every council meeting, and even though I admit that my memory isn't what it used to be, I can't remember any meeting wherein the council discussed this and directed the City Law Director to prepare the legislation that was presented at the last meeting.  Can anyone else???

That means that either:
A.  They are lying though their teeth!!!
Or:
B.  They held a city council meeting behind closed doors and discussed this city business (which is illegal) and then they dealt with city employees (the Law Director) to have the legislation prepared without going through the City Manager (also illegal)!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 8:49am
Gillilan asked the Mayor for the raise and extra time off.
Do not believe it when they say otherwise.

Gillilan only acts like she cares about employees when it fits her needs.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 9:03am
Judith:

"The city of Middletown employees and I remain committed to improving Middletown and look forward to a bright future.”

Ironic statement from a person who has helped perpetuate so much of the city's demise.

The unions have a point on Gilleland and others sharing in the financial woes of this city. Don't know how many "financial woes" we have as they seem to always find money in one of their little accounts to fund what they consider pet projects related to friends of the city. On the other hand, the unions, over time, have contributed to the "financial grief" by continually bleeding the well dry with the cost of their pay and bennies, which make up ~ 75% of the budget. They are not guiltless in this either.

Longevity pay? Only in public sectorland would you have longevity pay. In the private sector, the most you'll get is a tad bit of recognition, a form letter, a stickpin for your suit collar, and a handshake followed by a "now get back to work" or they give you a catalog and you choose something out of it depending on years of service. No pay involved.

Kinda predictable that Becker, Picard, both Mulligans and Mort would support this. I would expect better from Laubach, Scott-Jones and Smith, especially since Smith is the poster child for the unions. Hard to imagine anyone supporting giving her this kind of package given the job she has done to date. Their perception of her performance is certainly different than some.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 9:50am
Gilliland should be set out to pasture by council.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 10:49am
Also, she has picked another fight at Middletown International Airport, and has everyone there ready to leave again.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 11:06am
What is wrong with the airport? The Fastrax group brings money in to the city from jumpers and the people who might grab a bit to eat after their jumps.Why does she and the city building group have to muck up everything in this city instead of "being open for business" as she put it!
middleman View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 12:02pm
Anyone who watched or attended that particular meeting knows her statement is a total lie.  She seemed more than pleased that night with the legislation and showed no signs of declining anything.  Her statement makes me laugh.  What a leader. haha 
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 12:36pm
Midd29   Council will not let her go. They're too far up her b-- to see the light!!
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 2:32pm
This town is full of jokes on one hand we have an out of touch city council that wants to heap rewards on a horrible (in my opinion) city manager who then gets chastized by some people (public emplyee unions) that have the sweetest pay/benefits in the world because they didnt get a fat raise while the rest of us serfs scratch out a living. I do apreciate what the police,fireman and other city workers do for us on a regular basis and I know that they put their lives on the line but they chose that kind of work and they are pretty well paid for it so cry me a river.If they think they have it tough they could allways quit their jobs and flip burgers for a living.

The people of this town should throw this council and this city manager out of office and next time the unions want raises we should all march down town and let them know that we are sick of them wanting our tax money to keep their lives cooshy while we cant afford to pay our own bills.

Every one wants their cut of the pie maybe us common people shouild start asking for ours.

I feel a lot better thanksLOL
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 3:25pm
Funny I see no comments in the article from the residents who actually foot the bill about this issue. 
PacmanCool
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 11:47pm
I doubt that any council member cares what the residents think, nor does the City Manager or The Journal.  I think that they intended to dole out similar largesse to Directors and other pets at City Hall. 
This is probably why they PADDED the 2013 budget with  $615,000 from the "rainy day fund" to cover a $69,000 deficit.  They must be about out of "slush fund" money.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:50pm
That's alright Mike, I don't give a rat's A_ _ what any of the public unions have to say either. 

PacmanCool
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 11:46am
I think it is a fair gesture for the city manager refuse these perks. Can we not be grateful for this at least?
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

That's strange!!!

B.  They held a city council meeting behind closed doors and discussed this city business (which is illegal) and then they dealt with city employees (the Law Director) to have the legislation prepared without going through the City Manager (also illegal)!!!
Discussing personnel matters (including compensation) behind closed doors in Executive Session is common practice.

middleman View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 7:30pm
[QUOTE=Pacman] That's alright Mike, I don't give a rat's A_ _ what any of the public unions have to say either. 

PacmanCool
[/QUOT         I would venture to say that they feel the same way. LOL
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 9:01pm
Watch ou John, you are in hostile terriory wih tha remark!!! But I agree with you!!!! So all of you negative Nelly's bring on all your negativity!!!!!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 6:23am
Originally posted by Smartman Smartman wrote:

Watch ou John, you are in hostile terriory wih tha remark!!! But I agree with you!!!! So all of you negative Nelly's bring on all your negativity!!!!!

I like it Smartman......negative Nelly's.

So, if we are all negative here, I take it that you agree that the city manager should get the extra perks and are not in agreement with the unions in their comments concerning everyone sharing in the sacrifice department?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
AKBobby View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote AKBobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 8:25am
the manager declined the bonus at the request of the same people she employs. Why is this a negative thing? You guys can make a negative out of anything. That's why there is a mere ten of you who are always spewing negative vibes about everything. You are negative about Cincy State, the Towne Mall sale, the schools moving to the city building, the managers decision to forego raises, etc.

I know this city has been crap at times. I don't disagree with everything you say. I live here too and pay taxes in this city. I know that past and current councils have done a lot of dumb things and have causes ruin at times to a once great city. Its frustrating to me. But everything is not a negative. There are some good things happening and I think its a good thing the Manager didn't take the raise.

come on guys, give some credit where its due.
AK - What is going on with that?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 10:09am
AK Bobby says:

"You guys can make a negative out of anything"

then says.....

"I know this city has been crap at times. I don't disagree with everything you say. I live here too and pay taxes in this city. I know that past and current councils have done a lot of dumb things and have causes ruin at times to a once great city. Its frustrating to me. But everything is not a negative. There are some good things happening and I think its a good thing the Manager didn't take the raise"

AKBobby

YA JUST ANSWERED YOUR OWN QUESTION.

IF THEY WOULD GIVE US A SLIVER OF COMMON SENSE. A GLIMPSE OF HOPE. A FLICKER OF REASONABLE THINKING........WE WOULD ACKNOWLEDGE THAT. THE FACT THAT THE PERKS THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN GIVEN THE CITY MANAGER, ESPECIALLY IN THESE TIMES, UNDER THESE CIRCUMSTANCES WAS MENTIONED, IS SHEAR STUPIDITY ON COUNCIL'S PART. IT IS OBVIOUS THAT IT WAS THE WRONG THING TO DO, YET, THIS COUNCIL, UNBELIEVABLY, WANTED TO GO THROUGH WITH THIS. THAT'S WHAT BRINGS OUT THE NEGATIVITY. THEY GIVE US A REASON BY DOING STUPID THINGS AND WE REACT BY CALLING THEM OUT USING NEGATIVITY. AND, SINCE WHEN IT IS CALLED NEGATIVITY JUST BECAUSE SOME OF US AREN'T FOOLS WHO WILL GO ALONG WITH THEIR DAM PROGRAMS ALL THE TIME? YOU CALL IT NEGATIVITY. I CALL IT RESISTANCE TO STUPIDITY.

THEY SCREW UP EVERYTHING THEY TOUCH, EVERY PLAN THEY TRY TO EXECUTE WHILE CONSTANTLY HEADING IN THE WRONG DIRECTION AND BEING TOTALLY OUT OF TOUCH WITH WHAT THIS TOWN REALLY NEEDS AND WHAT THE PEOPLE IN THIS TOWN WANT. WHERE IS THE INDICATION THAT CREDIT FOR WHAT THEY DO IS JUSTIFIED?

AKBobby

"come on guys, give some credit where its due"

THEY GET NO CREDIT UNTIL THEY DECIDE TO START DOING WHAT IS RIGHT FOR THIS TOWN. JMO
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 11:21am

AKBobby - You guys can make a negative out of anything. That's why there is a mere ten of you who are always spewing negative vibes about everything. You are negative about Cincy State, the Towne Mall sale, the schools moving to the city building, the managers decision to forego raises, etc.

Cincy State – AKBobby it isn’t the fact that Cincy State came to Middletown that bothers me…it is the actions and the lies that have been told after the fact. It started with Miss Judy and the purchase of the Thatcher Estate and the true cost of this deal (and it ain’t even close$500,00).  At last nights council meeting the Temple Building was given away to a non-profit with no money. How will they restore this building and where will the money come from? This is not what Miss Judy told us she was going to do with these buildings. This building should have been offered to a business person so it would have produced jobs and property tax revenue for this community.
NO return on our investment again…

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 3:38am
Originally posted by John Beagle John Beagle wrote:

I think it is a fair gesture for the city manager refuse these perks. Can we not be grateful for this at least?
Mr. Beagle,

The City manager didn’t quite “stand by her men” all the way.

She did not refuse all of the perks.,

She accepted the extra FIVE DAYS PER YEAR of vacation.  This raises her total yearly vacation to 27 days (FIVE WEEKS) per year, from four weeks.  

I believe that she can cash in the extra week.  In effect, this gives her a 2% raise.

middleman View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 9:11pm
Forgot to mention that didn't she.  She see's nothing wrong with getting things for a ( job well done)  Cannot believe AJ Smith was the only one who fought it.  Josh Laughbaugh was mad when LL read that the 4 Bus Drivers got a 100 dollar signing bonus for signing a 3 year contract with no raises.   But he's ok with her several thousand dollar raise.  Wow just wowClap
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2012 at 9:57am
From MJ Letters to the Editor:
Contribute bonus to cemetery restoration

Kudos to City Manager Judy Gilleland for declining to take the 3 percent bonus that City Council had offered. I hear the offer is still on the table though.

I think it would be quite fitting and giving back to the community and to our city’s forefathers if Gilleland just took the bonus and then contributed it to the restoration of the roof on the Middletown Cemetery’s vault, which is in desperate need of repair. The cemetery is where Middletown founder Daniel Doty and many other city pioneers and war veterans are laid to rest.
 BETH A. BIRCH, MIDDLETOWN

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic