FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A 6th grader

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A 6th grader
    Posted: Oct 31 2012 at 6:39am
Police Briefs

Oct. 26

A student at Highview Sixth Grade, 106 S. Highview Road, was brought to the principal’s office because he was unruly. He was charged with disorderly conduct, and when the school resource officer Kenny King answered another call, the student ran out of the school. He was caught a few streets away and charged with obstruction of justice. His father was called numerous times and told school officials he was on his way, but he never showed. While in the cruiser, the boy was laughing and telling the officer everything was funny and he didn’t care what the judge said

BOOT CAMP WITH MILITARY INSTRUCTORS FOR THIS LAD. (AND HIS DAD). BUT, OF COURSE, HE'LL BE GIVEN ANOTHER CHANCE WITH A SLAP ON THE HAND AND, LAUGHING AT THE AUTHORITIES......BE RIGHT BACK IN POLICE CUSTODY IN NO TIME HAVING LEARNED NOTHING. AIN'T IT GREAT THIS KINDER/GENTLER SOCIETY WE HAVE?
tracyl View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2012 at 6:59am
And welcome to MCSD. Not every student and parent acts like this for sure, but there are enough that do, all the way down to KINDERGARTEN, that cause serious problems for instruction and manpower. It's one of the few dirty little secrets we aren't supposed to talk about, considered "talking bad" about the district.
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2012 at 9:32am
I look at this story a little differently. I see that an "unruly child" was removed from the classroom--so he did not continue to disturb other students. The principal involved the school resource police officer and the child's parent. This was handled appropriately. The child was not sent back to class by the principal.

As far as I know, it is not a crime to fail to pick your child up at school when called by the principal. Nor is it against any law to fail to teach your child how to behave properly in school and to respect teachers, principals, police officers and judges. (To be clear, I definitely disapprove of this behavior. I am just saying it is not illegal.) A parent can be brought to court if their child is chronically truant, but not for the other. So, the school has little it can do to get the parents to cooperate.

The child will probably end up either in Juvenile Detention or an alternative school run by the county for severe behavioral problems--either of which will cost the school district more money. And his chances of graduating from high school and becoming a productive member of society do not look bright. The school district cannot "fix" the behavior and character of students like this without the support of the community--churches, Big Brother Big Sister, Boy Scouts, the Community Center, etc. We also have no idea from this story what this child may have been through in his life that contributes to him acting this way. As a community, though, it is in our own financial interests to try to help him and not just write him off.

squeemy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squeemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2012 at 10:16am
Given the following 7 lessons taught in American schools, I'm surprised there's not more "unruly" kids.

1. Confusion – Teachers are sometimes forced to teach lessons out of context.  The material is often unrelated and disconnected between subjects and is taken from curriculum that lacks coherence—but is required by state and local mandates.

2. Class Position – Teachers often spend too much time on teaching “where students are required to stay within the classroom.  Students are ordered, numbered, and are given little choice as to where they “fit.”

3. Indifference – In many cases, students are taught not to care too much about anything and to appear as though they do.  Students are required to become totally involved in boring lessons, to jump up and down with anticipation, and compete against each other for the teacher’s attention.

4. Emotional Dependency – Teachers teach “dependency” by using stats, red marks, stickers, smiles, frowns, honors, and disgraces.  Students are taught to surrender their will to the predestined chain of command.  Honor rolls exist to shame those that didn't make it.

5. Intellectual Dependency – Students are taught that “good kids wait for the teacher to tell them what to do.”  The teacher makes all of the important choices regarding learning…after all—the teacher is the expert.

6. Provisional Self-Esteem – Teachers teach provisional self-esteem.  Students must realize that they must conform.  If not, monthly and weekly reports go home to show the parents how dissatisfied they should be with their children due to nonconformity!

7. One Can’t Hide – The seventh lesson is that “one can’t hide.”  Students are taught that they are always being watched.  They are under constant surveillance by the teacher.  They have no private spaces and no private time allotted.

Is it any wonder that America has 5% of the worlds population and 50% of its incarcerated people?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2012 at 10:33am
Ms. Andrew:

"I see that an "unruly child" was removed from the classroom"....WHO WAS LAUGHING AT AUTHORITY FIGURES AND NOT HARDLY INTIMIDATED BY THE CURRENT DETERENTS IN PLACE. TOO KINDER/GENTLER IMO.

Ms. Andrew:

"The principal involved the school resource police officer and the child's parent. This was handled appropriately"......IF BY APPROPRIATELY YOU MEAN THAT IT WAS OK FOR THE PARENT TO CONTINUALLY TELL THE SCHOOL THEY WOULD SHOW, THEN DIDN'T, LEAVING THE SCHOOL TO HANDLE WHAT THE PARENT CHOSE NOT TO DO. GET THE PARENTS WORK NUMBER, CALL THEM AT WORK AND BOTHER THEM UNTIL THEY GET SO MAD THAT SHOWING UP IS BETTER THAN REPEATED PHONE CALLS AT WORK. PERHAPS PLACING THE PARENT'S JOB IN QUESTION/IF THE LIVELIHOOD IS THREATENED, THAT WILL GET THE MESSAGE ACROSS TO SOME OF THESE PARENTS. TOO KINDER/GENTLER IMO.

Ms. Andrew:

"As far as I know, it is not a crime to fail to pick your child up at school when called by the principal". SO WHERE IS THE DETERRENT OR "TEETH" IN YOU POLICIES, MS. ANDREW? APPARENTLY, THEY ARE TOO WEAK TO CAUSE THE RESPONSE YOU NEED TO FIX THE SITUATION. THIS PARENT DIDN'T TAKE IT SERIOUSLY. TOO KINDER/GENTLER IMO.

Ms. Andrew:

"Nor is it against any law to fail to teach your child how to behave properly in school and to respect teachers, principals, police officers and judges". AHH, BUT THERE SHOULD BE IF YOU WANT THE PROPER BEHAVIOR TO BE LEARNED TO FUNCTION IN SOCIETY. EVERYONE, WHETHER A SCHOOL KID, A YOUNG ADULT IN COLLEGE, THE WORKING WORLD, THE MILITARY, TEAM ATHLETICS, AN ADULT THAT HAS BEEN AROUND THE BLOCK OR A SENIOR CITIZEN HAS RULES IN SOCIETY TO LIVE BY. OTHERWISE, WE HAVE SOCIETY CHAOS AND ANARCHY. TIME FOR THEM TO LEARN IS WHILE THEY'RE YOUNG. GONNA BE DOING IT TO SOME DEGREE THE REST OF THEIR LIVES. THE LAST THING WE NEED IS TO BREED LITTLE ONES WHO THUMB THEIR NOSES AT AUTHORITY FIGURES LIKE THIS STUDENT DID. YOUR POLICIES ARE NOT TAKEN SERIOUSLY BY SOME STUDENTS IN YOUR SCHOOL DISTRICT MS. ANDREW. IT IS TIME TO DEVELOP TACTICS THAT WILL MOTIVATE THEM TO BEHAVE.......BUT THEN, AGAIN, WE HAVE TODAY'S POPULAR THEME OF KINDER/GENTLER AND FEAR OF LEGAL REPRISALS FROM THE PARENTS WHO ARE THE PROBLEMS IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Ms. Andrew:

"The school district cannot "fix" the behavior and character of students like this without the support of the community--churches, Big Brother Big Sister, Boy Scouts, the Community Center"

YOU HAVE DROPPED WHAT DID WORK IN THE SCHOOLS YEARS AGO.......CORPORAL PUNISHMENT. YOU HAVE GIVEN IN TO THE LEGAL PRESSURES OF THE PROBLEM PARENTS WHO THINK THEIR KID IS AN ANGEL AND THEY WILL SUE IF YOU "TALK MEAN" TO THEIR LITTLE ANGEL. APPARENTLY YOUR DISTRICT IS AFRAID TO CLAMP DOWN ON LITTLE JOHNNY, WHO IS A CONSTANT PROBLEM. UNTIL YOU START DICTATING TO THE PROBLEM PEOPLE AND THEIR KIDS HOW IT WILL BE, WITH ENOUGH FORCE TO CREATE SOME DEGREE OF INTIMIDATION, THEY WILL PERCEIVE THE ENVIRONMENT AS A JOKE. JMO
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2012 at 1:41pm
It wouldn't get to this point if the school would put kids like this in a different building so as not to distract from the rest of the students.
squeemy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squeemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2012 at 3:57pm
If an individual is conditioned to believe from an early age that their capacity to create value depends on the needs of a state institution, like school, then it stands to reason that their capacity to find value in themselves diminishes.

The institution of compulsory schooling served the needs of industrial America for generations when what was needed on a large scale were compliant, obedient employees.

It also served the needs of the American military for schools to supply a steady stream of people whose self worth was subordinate to the authority of others.

I'm convinced that after generations of enduring the vacuous, demeaning, soul- stripping process called American K-12 Education that we now have multiple generations of people who cannot recognize true value in themselves or others.

To correct an earlier comment - American locks up 25% of the world prisoners, not 50%. But we're on our way to getting there.

rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2012 at 4:13pm
Schools and the police should not get involved.   Too much "Big Brother". It can be a good skill to focus on your work while there is a distraction.

Just like teachers, bosses will always be watching and be the "expert".

Sounds like the School is right on track at teaching these students appropriate life skills
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2012 at 7:20pm
Rngrmed,

please explain???

PacmanCool
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2012 at 7:22pm
Squeemy

Please Explain your comment as well?? Confused

PacmanCool
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2012 at 7:39pm
Mrs Andrews,

Even though I live in Middletown, my son will graduate from Monroe.  I feel the best thing I did for my son was remove him from the Middletown school system when he was in the 6th grade.  He is now an A/B student.   I do not feel it is my responsiblity to raise someone elses child.  My Son is in the BoysScouts, preparing to become an Eagle Scout soon.  My also attends 2 different church youth groups per week.  He also attends a Bible study group once a week off campus.  And goes to church every Sunday.  All the above he does of his own volition.   

One of the major issues at Middletown Schools IMO is the lack of discipline, such as a few years ago when MHS had approximately 63 discipline issue per 100 students.  It seems that in your response above you are more concerned with the financial issue than with correcting the disciplinary issues.

When my son first went to Monroe, during orientation, The Principal pulled 3 students out of the bleachers and told them to go home and not come back until their hair was a natural color.  These students had colored their hair each with different colors, one was pink, one was bright Blue and another was white.  Monroe also had a strict NO CELL PHONE during school policy.  If a student was caught with a cell phone, it was taken from them and given back after school. 

If the attitude of the school board is going to be, "It cost us more money" and the school board is lacking is a disciplinary policy then you will continue to have issue like above and you will fail the students that the Middletown School District are supposed to be teaching.

PacmanCool
squeemy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squeemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2012 at 8:02pm
Hi Pacman,

I'll answer your question with another: have you ever had to teach a classroom full of people who didn't want to be there?

It sucks.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2012 at 9:13pm
squeemy:

"If an individual is conditioned to believe from an early age that their capacity to create value depends on the needs of a state institution, like school, then it stands to reason that their capacity to find value in themselves diminishes".

AN INDIVIDUALS SELF WORTH IS DETERMINED BY MORE THAN SCHOOLS AND INSTITUTIONS. IT IS ALSO INFLUENCED BY LIFE'S DECISIONS, WHAT LIFE THROWS AT THEM AS TO EASE OR DIFFICULTY (DEALING WITH THE HIGHS AND LOWS OF LIFE), ACCOMPLISHMENTS, THE PARENTS INFLUENCE, TEACHINGS, VALUES, ENCOURAGEMENT, POSITIVE RE-ENFORCEMENT AND MOTIVATIONAL INFLUENCE. WHAT IS BUILT WITHIN THE INDIVIDUAL DETERMINES THEIR INNER CAPACITY TO MAINTAIN SELF VALUE AND IT DOESN'T HAVE TO COME FROM INSTITUTIONS.

squeemy:

"It also served the needs of the American military for schools to supply a steady stream of people whose self worth was subordinate to the authority of others".

THE MILITARY HAS HAD SOME AWFULLY SMART, SELF-CONFIDENT, TOP-NOTCH STUDENTS WITHIN THEIR RANKS. HARDLY LACKING IN SELF WORTH AND MOST GRADED AS CONFIDENT. WHEN YOU INITIALLY GO IN THE MILITARY RIGHT OUT OF WEST POINT OR THE NAVAL ACADEMY (SCHOOLS), OR JOIN A COMPANY RIGHT OUT OF COLLEGE (SCHOOL), YOU MUST ACT IN A SUBORDINATE MANNER. YOU DO THIS ALL THE WAY THROUGH YOUR CAREER TO SOME DEGREE. EVEN THE TOP DOG, THE CEO OF THE COMPANY, ANSWERS TO AND IS A SUBORDINATE TO THE MAJOR STOCKHOLDERS, WHO CAN DISMISS HIM (HER) AT ANY TIME. UNLESS YOU OWN THE COMPANY, YOU WILL ALWAYS BE SUBORDINATE (YES AND COMPLIANT AND OBEDIENT) TO SOMEONE. YOU CAN HAVE A SENSE OF SELF WORTH AND STILL BE AN OBEDIENT AND COMPLIANT SUBORDINATE, CAN'T YOU?

squeemy:

"I'm convinced that after generations of enduring the vacuous, demeaning, soul- stripping process called American K-12 Education that we now have multiple generations of people who cannot recognize true value in themselves or others".

WOULDN'T WORRY TOO MUCH ABOUT THAT. PROBABLY MILLIONS OF PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT HAVE BEEN THROUGH THE K-12 SYSTEM THAT HAVE A BOATLOAD OF SELF WORTH, FUNCTIONING JUST FINE, ARE VERY SUCCESSFUL AND FEELING DAMN GOOD ABOUT THEMSELVES AND WHERE THEY ARE IN LIFE. ALL JMO.

squeemy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squeemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2012 at 8:53am
Indeed V V - there are those that are selected to achieve but most are cast aside.

It might help to think of K-12 as an industrial process - the mass production of minds to fill a need.

Everyone is forced (compulsory schooling) into the funnel at the top and is squeezed through an ever narrowing set of constraints until the few are selected and extracted for "leadership" - defined as how well they follow.

If we want them to work for what we want them to do - then maybe we should pay them. After all, when I enlisted and got orders to basic training, I got paid for it.

As the son of a military school graduate and World War 2 army veteran (1st Armored Div., 11the Armored Infantry, Italy 1944-45),

and the grandson of a World War One Marine who endured combat under General Smedley Butler (First Commandant of USMC Quantico, two-time recipient of Congressional Medal of Honor)  in Nicaragua, Haiti and France, I can attest to your assessment to the quality of the military minds of which you write.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2012 at 10:29am
squeemy:

"Indeed V V - there are those that are selected to achieve but most are cast aside"

AGREE. AND NOWHERE IS THIS MORE DEMONSTRATED THAN P&G, OUR FORMER EMPLOYER. DEFINITE SELECTION PROCESS ON WHO IS PREDETERMINED TO SUCCEED AND WHO ISN'T. IF ONE OF THE UPPER MANAGEMENT TAKES A LIKING TO YOU, YOU CAN DO NO WRONG AND HAVE A CAREER PATH CHARTED FOR YOU. IF NOT, YOU LANGUISH DOWN IN THE PITS OF MEDIOCRITY....JUST A FACE IN THE CROWD. WORSE YET, SOME ARE TARGETED FOR REPLACEMENT BECAUSE THEY MIGHT BE VIEWED AS "TOO REBELLIOUS" OR NOT ABLE TO BE "PROCTERIZED". HAPPENED TO BOTH MY WIFE AFTER 15 YEARS AND ME AFTER 10 YEARS. GONE. NOW, THERE ARE 5700 P&G TECH CENTER EMPLOYEES THAT WILL MEET A SIMILAR FATE SOON. EVERY TEN YEARS IS THE CLEANOUT AT P&G. .....AND THERE IS A CLIMATE DURING THESE TIMES WITHIN EACH P&G FACILITY OF FEAR FOR THEIR JOBS. A TERRIBLE WAY TO COME IN TO WORK EACH DAY.

squeemy:

"It might help to think of K-12 as an industrial process - the mass production of minds to fill a need"

GOTTA KEEP THE PIPELINE OF TALENT SUPPLIED TO KEEP THE WHEELS OF CORPORATE AMERICA GREASED.

squeemy:

"Everyone is forced (compulsory schooling) into the funnel at the top and is squeezed through an ever narrowing set of constraints until the few are selected and extracted for "leadership" - defined as how well they follow"

YEP. SEE THE FIRST SECTION ABOVE.

rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2012 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

Rngrmed,

please explain???PacmanCool

Pacman,

I was being somewhat of a smartass... I find it funny how Vet doesn't want the Gov't telling him he needs to wear a seat belt, etc. but wants the Gov't to step in with this kid.

Ms. Andrew states that the school district's hands are tied with what they can do with this parent and child, then what is the purpose of having all those school psychologists? Evaluate this kid. I'd bet a $1 mom/dad are working all the time or out doing other things. But he is craving attention and is long over due for discipline.

But I bet some personality changes could be made with EFFECTIVE therapy.

As far as putting his dad's job in jeopardy? Why? In this economy?   

Where is mom? Grandparents? Maybe the child is not the "community's" responsibility, but he does have a family that could step up and help out.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2012 at 3:36pm
rngrmed:

"I find it funny how Vet doesn't want the Gov't telling him he needs to wear a seat belt, etc. but wants the Gov't to step in with this kid."

TWO VERY DIFFERENT SCENARIOS MED, IMO. BY ME NOT WEARING MY SEATBELT, I'M PUTTING ONLY MYSELF IN HARMS WAY. DOESN'T MEAN A PINCH OF CRAP TO OTHER DRIVERS WHETHER I'M OUT THERE DRIVING WITH A BELT ON OR NOT. IF I FLY OUT OF THE CAR OR GO THROUGH THE WINDSHIELD, I DOUBT IT WILL AFFECT THEM AT THE SCENE OF THE ACCIDENT. MY ACTIONS ARE ON ME AND WILL AFFECT ME ONLY.

WITH THIS KID CURRENTLY HAVING NO DETERRENT IN THE SCHOOLS TO KEEP HIM IN LINE, HE LAUGHS AT THE SYSTEM, THINKS HE CAN DO ANYTHING HE PLEASES INCLUDING DISRUPTING THE CLASS, DENYING OTHERS THEIR RIGHT TO AN EDUCATION AND AFFECTS MANY WITH HIS ACTIONS. THE CURRENT WAY OF HANDLING DISRUPTIVE BEHAVIOR ISN'T CUTTING IT. TIME TO TRY SOMETHING ELSE A LITTLE STRONGER THAN "KINDER/GENTLER" HAND SLAPPING.

"As far as putting his dad's job in jeopardy? Why? In this economy?"

THE DAD WOULD HAVE MADE THE CHOICE TO PLACE HIS JOB IN JEOPARDY BY NOT COMPLYING WITH THE SCHOOL'S WISHES OF PICKING UP HIS KID IN A TIMELY MANNER. THIS DAD NEVER SHOWED UP AT ALL. STILL WANNA COTTLE HIM A LITTLE MORE BY NOT INFLICTING ANY CONSEQUENCES AT ALL? HOW'S THE DAD GONNA LEARN ANY RESPONSIBILITY UNLESS YOU HOLD HIM ACCOUNTABLE IF HE CHOOSES THE WRONG APPROACH OR IGNORES THE PROBLEM ALTOGETHER? SOMETIME IN LIFE, A PERSON SHOULD HAVE TO ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR LIFE'S LITTLE DECISIONS. IF THE JOB AND LIVELIHOOD ARE THREATENED, PERHAPS THAT WILL GET HIS ATTENTION. TO DATE, APPARENTLY NOTHING ELSE HAS. AGAIN, AFTER AWHILE, IT'S TIME TO DROP THE KINDER/GENTLER WITH A STRONGER MESSAGE. MULTIPLE CHANCES AND FORGIVENESS ONLY LAST SO LONG.

"Where is mom? Grandparents? Maybe the child is not the "community's" responsibility, but he does have a family that could step up and help out"

IF THE FAMILY DOESN'T WANT TO TAKE ACTION, THE COMMUNITY MUST DEAL WITH THE KID AS HE IS DISRUPTING THE PROGRAM OF EDUCATING THE OTHERS.THE COMMUNITY HAS AN OBLIGATION TO ASSURE THE EDUCATION OF ALL KIDS BY FURNISHING A SUITABLE ENVIRONMENT INCLUDING BEHAVIOR. YOU DON'T SACRIFICE THE MAJORITY BECAUSE ONE WANTS TO PLAY THE UNCOOPERATIVE ROUTE. THE PARENT MUST REMOVE THE PROBLEM UNTIL THE PROBLEM CAN BE PART OF THE SOLUTION AGAIN. IF THE DAD DOESN'T WANT TO ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY, MAYBE WE OUGHT TO HAUL THE WHOLE FAMILY IN FOR A SESSION ON EXPECTATIONS CONCERNING JUNIORS BEHAVIOR.

JMO
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:40am
I find it interesting that none of the news hounds on this site posted the story in yesterday's Journal about the Positive Behavioral Support program that Middletown schools have adopted. [I couldn't figure out how to link to it.]

The article reports on this new, comprehensive approach to discipline and behavior that Middletown schools began to put in place last school year. After just the first year of the program, suspensions and expulsions were dramatically down while teachers reported (on anonymous surveyss) that their morale and positive school climate was up.

MCSD are making progress in this area using this consistent approach.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:58am
It's also interesting that Ms. Andrew did not comment on the posts of Vet and others with regard to the state report card and the fact that MCSD dropped in the number of indicators met.  I'm sure that report card was a mixed bag of results so your input on it would be welcome Ms. Andrew.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 10:12am
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Marcia Andrew Marcia Andrew wrote:

I find it interesting that none of the news hounds on this site posted the story in yesterday's Journal about the Positive Behavioral Support program that Middletown schools have adopted. [I couldn't figure out how to link to it.]

The article reports on this new, comprehensive approach to discipline and behavior that Middletown schools began to put in place last school year. After just the first year of the program, suspensions and expulsions were dramatically down while teachers reported (on anonymous surveyss) that their morale and positive school climate was up.

MCSD are making progress in this area using this consistent approach.

My apologies Ms. Andrew. Let me be the first, as a major "criticizer" of your district, to congratulate you and your school district for accomplishing a dramatic reduction in the behavioral issues from one year to the next. Nice job, as the data supports. You must forgive me if I remain a little skeptical as it is just the first year of implementation. Several years in a row of improvement might garner a more confident response from some. Let's see how we do in the future.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Bill Bill wrote:

It's also interesting that Ms. Andrew did not comment on the posts of Vet and others with regard to the state report card and the fact that MCSD dropped in the number of indicators met.  I'm sure that report card was a mixed bag of results so your input on it would be welcome Ms. Andrew.

Excellent point Bill. Now that you have gotten a formal apology from me concerning the behavioral issues improvement Ms. Andrew, would you mind returning the favor and explain to all of us why the indicator numbers dropped and the state report card doesn't look as rosy as it once did?

Let's see if we can demonstrate a little "give and take" between the school board and the general public, shall we?

Thank you, in advance, for your input.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 8:35am
Vet, apology accepted. And I agree the program needs to continue to show results. We expect that it will because it is phased in over 3 years. We have already seen a drop in suspensions 1st quarter this school year compared to 1st quarter last year.

I apologize for my silence on the school report card results. I have been out of town on business quite a bit this fall and did not have the data with me to respond. I will respond on the other chain.

409, thank you for the technical assist.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2012 at 8:35pm
Mrs Andrew,

I apologize also,  As I am now blind. I do not always get to read all of the articles in the newspaper.

PacmanCool
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2012 at 10:12am

Pacman, thank you. My reference to the Journal article on the district's approach to discipline was an indirect response to your earlier post. My point in mentioning the cost of sending students to alternative schools was not to say the schools won't take action on discipline if it costs money; as is obvious from the article we have been addressing the situation. My point was that the student remains the responsibility of the district; we cannot "get rid of" a problem student by expelling him/her.

Also, I respect your choice to open-enroll your son in Monroe. As a parent, you have to do what is right for your children. Hopefully you will acknowledge and respect that others make different choices. Personally, we moved our sons out of John XIII in elementary school because (a) we did not feel that they were being challenged and (b) they would not and could not educate our daughter who has special needs. We have not regretted our decision. They have had the opportunity to work above grade level in elementary school and in high school to take more AP courses, participate in a wider variety of extracurriculars, and Division I sports. And they have had the opportunity to be friends with people of different races, different economic situations, and different sexual orientation. All of which is good preparation for college and the "real world." They have never felt unsafe at school.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic