FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Waiver Of Fees

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Waiver Of Fees
    Posted: Jul 21 2008 at 7:05am
Journal- Monday article- City Council votes 5-2 to waive the safety fee of $3000 for fire and ambulance to be on site for the upcoming Wings Of Freedom airshow. The waiver was to accomodate Jack Wolf so that he would be able to book additional acts from California. Why couldn't they have waived the $3000. WITH THE STIPULATION that Mr. Wolf would pay back the city when he had obtained the additional acts?( or out of his pocket, if he failed to attract those acts) The idea is to aid the promoters of entertainment for the city and not make it a financial liability for the city. Why did it have to be an " all or nothing" situation with no responsibility placed on the promoter to honor his full cost for safety? Correction: I misread the article- Mr. Marconi has asked that the waiver be repaid. I now have a renewed faith in council's thinking (at least on this episode).
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2008 at 4:19pm
Hey Vet, if someone is reading quickly and doesn't notice your correction, he or she might think you're criticizing the Council here.  Since you admit misreading the article, why not edit your post? 

I attended both the work session and the meeting that night, so I heard the discussion downstairs.  I think it was a healthy debate among Council, and it seemed to be very clear that the fee would be repaid.  Actually, it was Mr. Schiavone, who seems to be the one asking the most questions and engaging in discussion most frequently, who insisted on the repayment, which - obviously - Mr. Marconi agreed with.

It was never the case that the fee was asked to be permanently waived, and it seemed clear to me that those organizing the airshow (not just Mr. Wolf) planned on repaying the waiver.   At least, that's my sense of things. 

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2008 at 9:11am

Repayment of this fee is not guaranteed, if you read it all through. I believe repayment is contingent on excess revenue being available after the completion of the air show. If such funding is not available, what next?

As we know from balloons, weather can be a dominating factor with this type of program. Since this is pretty much a private venture, we have no clue how funds are being utilized. I thought this to be an interesting request, considering the airport organization's new status and lack of any performance records. Is this crew experienced in this type of event? Since we are now providing security/safety precluding re-imbursement, should our city admin take a closer look at the structure/financial plan of the operating organization? Should the cash-strapped citizens be responsible for any financial responsibity to this privately-run event?

This municipal gesture sets a very interesting precedent, especially if fee re-imbursement is slow in coming or not accomplished. How can the next private group requesting police/fire service be denied? Can such decision even be arbitrary now?

Our Council seems to put very little emphasis on City Manager/staff recommendations/concerns, and continues to be consistently inconsistent.

All this being said, best of luck with the air show. Those in charge seem reputable and experienced in the operation of the facility. Let's hope for a glorious successful event. A happy ending for everyone!
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2008 at 7:27pm
I also wish every success for this airshow.  I hope that it is a rousing success and that every vendor and the sponsoring entity all make more $$$ than they ever imagined even in their most optimistic dreams!

But I agree with Spider regarding the precedent.  I know that Fenwick High School pays for Police presence at the Fenwick Festival and similar extracurricular events.  Three days of rain could easily put them at a loss.  Shouldn't they now be entitled to the same deal?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic