FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Here They Come!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2012 at 7:05am
Originally posted by ground swat ground swat wrote:

So how many attended tonight?

Journal story says 20 showed, all over the age of 45. No young parents interested in the buildings their kids will be attending in the future? No young parents interested in whether their neighborhood school will be around in years to come? Thought some of these young parents were "gung-ho" on education.
Hmm.

Before any talk of building a new high school (or any new school for that matter), I would want to see the following from the committee:

1. A list of all the facility issues with each school.

2. A list of how these issues were resolved- ie- was the problem fixed using internal employees or was it sub-contracted out at a potentially higher cost?

3. If subcontracted out, how many bids were asked for and was the lowest QUALIFIED bidder selected to do the repair. Was the repair checked by a school official to judge whether it was done properly? If not, was the contractor called back to do it right?

4. A list of the cost of each repair, be it internally resolved or externally resolved.

5. The budget for each school to allow for repairs and how the budget for each school was configured.

6. A list of whether each school over spent or underspent their portion of the budget.

7. If overspent, where did the money come from to make up the difference. If underspent, was the money transferred to another school that had more repair issues.

8. A list of recurring problems with each building. A plan to solve those recurring problems if possible.

9. A list of noted shoddy repair from both internal repairs done and extenal. How were they resolved.

10. A list of sub-contractors used, but are now blacklisted due to poor work on repairs and the method in place to assure that these sub-contractors will never be used again.

11. A document for each school that describes in detail, the preventative maintenance program that is used to lessen the possibility of more severe problems. IE- what is the frequency that the heating/cooling systems are checked and serviced. Frequency of electrical system checks. Frequency of plumbing checks. How often is the roof evaluated at each school to eliminate large repairs and repair problems when they are still able to be tackled without a major overhaul of the roof. Have all of these been evaluated to assure that they are the correct frequency in overseeing the buildings?

12. How about the parking lots.....paving at each school ok? Are the driveways also maintained, patching the holes that occur rather than to wait until the parking lots and driveways look like the Middletown streets? How often is this looked at?

13. Can they build a school WITHOUT a flat roof? Seems that all have flat roofs which are more prone to leaking and have no runoff. Puddling on flat roofs causes faster deterioration, doesn't it? Shingles on roofs. How often are they checked for damage or cracking? Are they replaced as soon as they are found? All preventative maintenance.

14. Brick and mortar......how often is this checked on each building? Is the mortar caulked when missing to prevent water seepage or is it ignored?

And finally.....Middletown High School was built in 1970. It is 42 years old. There are homes in Middletown much older than that. They are repaired and maintained for the most part. (with the exception of the folks who cannot afford to repair them and they end up looking like crap as they fall apart.) They will last if kept up. Don't understand why the talk of a potential new high school when the current one is only 42 years old. Vail (the old high school to me) was built in what, the 1920's? It has stood for many years with an occasional new roof, new windows and some paint slapped on the walls once in a while. Ask your committee members, Mr, Shaffer, if they have a time limit on their home. What is the criteria for tearing down and replacing their own home. How long do they wait to make repairs to a leaking roof on their own home? We all know the answers because most of us homeowners wouldn't let it get to the point where a repair would become a major factor. We also know that we homeowners have never thought about tearing down our own homes and rebuilding because that would involve our own money. It is easier to ask the public for more money to pay for what we would never do privately, isn't it?
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2012 at 10:13am
  Why bother.
rshaffer View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rshaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2012 at 11:06am
Vet: I'm sorry that you couldn't attend last night's meeting. I think that some of your questions would have been answered. Additionally, you would have had the opportunity to ask these questions directly. 19 "voting" members were present. By "voting" I mean that each had a hand-held device that recorded their response to general questions asked by the moderator from Fanning Howey. Although most of your questions---especially about preventive maintenance---can be answered through the district's computerized work request system, is it really worth the effort to have another stack of papers to wade through to prove it? After all the documentation is scrutinized, will it actually be worth the extensive effort to go through each work request? Specific issues bubble to the top and are dealt with. This is standard procedure in facilities' management. Having been in the Business Office for 9 months, I can tell you that none of the new buildings have any on-going concerns in regard to recurring maintenance issues. The HS had the auditorium roof replaced this summer, and Manchester needs a new roof. Vail/MMS has its infrastructure problems like any 90 year old building would. I feel that your comparison of the life expectancy of educational is flawed. These buildings should be compared to commercial, industrial and other educational buildings. These (HS & MMS) have several thousand students using the facilities every day. Toilets get flushed and broken, doors get constant use (opening, closing, slammed shut), furniture is broken through use, things wear out. Residential properties are not subjected to the heavy use that educational facilities are. Further, as was stated many times at the meeting, no preconceptions have been made regarding which, if any, buildings will be repurposed or replaced. This is the purpose of the committee. It has not been suggested that our "new" 42 year old HS should be demolished. It has been suggested to modify it to a middle school. I feel that the true elephant-in-the-room is the "old HS" (Vail/MMS). Yes, it can be renovated, similar to Hughes HS in Cincinnati---at greater cost than replacing it. However, the rooms would not be the size of the OSFC's (Ohio School Facilities' Commission) standards. One point of clarification: the headlines indicated that the "High School" project is estimated at $80M. This is inaccurate. The HS/Middle School/Manchester resolution---the remaining Phase II projects---have $80M remaining. Half of this amount is due from the state. After last night's meeting, it appears that we are on a track of proper evaluation for the future of the district. Thank you for your post. I know that my response will bring more questions. Again: DISCLAIMER: these are my beliefs and do not necessarily reflect those of the district or committee. Rick
Rick
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2012 at 12:39pm
Rick, when time permits, can you explain how the school system accounts presently for variable and fixed maintenance expenses and what the capital budget per year, for such expenses? Also, would you have at your disposal, the enrollment figures from 2003 to the present, annually, and in aggregate K-12, and the projects for the next 9 years? Also, as I attempted to review the annual report with all the financials on the MCSD website, but could not find one, could you post that? If not, perhaps you could provide the dollar projections for maintenance extrapolated over 10 years, expecting both fixed and variable expenditures for the unknown, as you reference, as part of the planning/ financial modeling process.

May I also ask what portion of the expense deals with demolition expense for the two proposed middle schools? Also, can you explain what the Ohio School Facilities Commission Standards are per a classroom, and contrast that with Vail today? Is there a statute which states that Vail is out of compliance, and that there are no exceptions to that classroom size, or there is liberty, based upon the fact Ohio has many aged schools in operation. Franklin Middle School is also out of compliance, but it remains operational. Are you emphatically stating Vail MUST be brought down, as a mandate to be in compliance with the ORC 3318?

And if so, where is that stated within:

http://osfc.ohio.gov/AboutOSFC/RulesandStatutes.aspx

Or are you stating to receive state funding, Vail would not qualify, and that is the basis for potentially combining it with the other middle school, and moving to the present MHS?

It would be beneficial as a request to the school board, to have the annual report posted on the MCSD website.
rshaffer View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rshaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2012 at 4:15pm
Acclaro: I will respond to several things that are easy to relate: we reviewed the enrollment figures briefly last night: bear with me, since, without a chart, it's can get confusing. I jotted down these figures from the meeting last night: in 2003 the PROJECTED enrollment for next school year (2012-13) was to be 7,687; this was revised in 2008 to be (2012-13) next year 5,996; the ACTUAL for 2010-11 school year was 6,784; in October, 2011 (current school year) 6,484 (ACTUAL). Classroom size, if I remember correctly, varies from 950 sq. ft to 1,050 sq. ft., depending on several factors, including grade level, use (science lab, etc.). Most of the classrooms that I have had experience with (Oak Hills, Princeton, Cincinnati Public---built from 1930's through 90's (not many were built after the 1980's, unless they were built for growth) were pretty standard at 25' x 30' (removing about 1' x 30' for the outside wall univent and cabinets/book shelves---i.e., not useable for actual classroom use. Vail/MMS is pretty consistent at the 750 sq. ft. of classroom space (25' x 30') or a little less. This OSFC minimum sq. ft. requirement is for new construction. It does not mean that a totally remodeled building like Vail must adhere to that. As I stated in a previous blog, Hughes HS near UC was "totally" remodeled, as is Rothenberg in Over-the-Rhine being renovated now. Middletown Middle School COULD be a candidate for restoration---anything is possible, as the saying goes. However, there must be a comparison made between a renovation and a demo/rebuild. The state has a 2/3 guideline: "New construction must conform to the Ohio School Design Manual (OSDM)standards to qualify for OSFC funding participation; facilities must have a minimum enrollment of 350; 2/3 rule: if cost of RENOVATION exceeds 2/3 of the cost of NEW CONSTRUCTION then the OSFC RECOMMENDS a new facility."   It does not require demolition. However strong commitment to renovation is suggested, and some renovation costs must be paid 100% by the district. Example: There was strong opposition in Glendale to use the elementary for district offices or replaced with a new facility. It was even suggested that it be given to the Village. Vocal residents wanted it to continue as a neighborhood school EVEN THOUGH FEW GLENDALE STUDENTS WENT THERE---most of the Glendale residents sent their kids to private school. As a result, Princeton spent about $4M to put in a new HVAC system, bring it up to firecode, install a bus drop-off in front, new technology, and minor cosmetics. I don't know for sure, but I believe the $4M was paid by the district, with no OSFC involvement. More later.   Whew!   Rick
Rick
rshaffer View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rshaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2012 at 5:08pm
Acclaro: Part 2. I wish that you could have been at the meeting---many of your questions were discussed, especially why the state hasn't reimbursed the district for any of Phase 1 buildings. I can't explain it eloquently here, but the bottom line is, since Middletown only passed Phase 1 funding, spending $71M of Middletown's share of $112M, the state won't contribute anything until they reach that $112M figure. The total for both phases was projected to cost around $152M, with MCSD's portion at 74% = $112M. Once the projects total that amount, the state will contribute. It's a quirk in the state law, nothing that the MSCD has done. Had we passed both phases in 2003 (?) and spent the total of $152M, the state would have reimbursed the district its share of 26%, i.e., $40M. Currently, unless it is changed, the state won't send us anything. Also, out of 613 districts, Middletown will ALWAYS REMAIN at #450 on the list. Although the list is generated each year, we will never move from 450---quirk in the law. It is believed that schools at number 350 +/- are being served now. OSFC has recently been funding around 11-15 districts a year. There are 100 or more in front of us unless something changes. More later. Rick
Rick
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2012 at 6:03pm
Intreresting
we all want attractive and effective schools in our area
surrounded by an honest, polite, communicative and responsible young generation.
reasonable expectationwe do understand the high cost of education and the facilities/manpower involved
in relation to the district's "ability to support the system

we have built nice, large geographically diverse structures, which have ample space for growth, while our base is shrinking somewhat, and by a larger % departure from the upper economic sectors
we have demolished many old school house landmarks, leaving green space and air along many old  and well-travelled routes.

Vail(current title) is probably past it's usefulness as it stands.
Not the best location UNLESS
A newer could go somewhere approximate, like maybe the land donated from the old Armco/AK office sites)
Close to Rosa Parks, Vail, Wade E, Cincy St., the "Arts district" and the transit system. Easy access from many areas, and an important balance in the complex equation. Probably not a very well-recieved option though

The current HS is not at all beyond use. It has time left, and if the former Manchester JHS site can be re-habbed, could it hold the freshman school?

The Roosevelt property could also be an interesting location option.

Not a very good time to be asking anyone for more $$ for pretty much any reason. 
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2012 at 8:15pm
Why bother.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2012 at 9:32pm
Rick,
The last time I recall the subject of to new schools being built in Middletown concerned the HS and JHS.  The bottom line for the HS was that it would cost the same to remodel the current HS as it would be to build a new JHS.  Is this still correct?  If I remember right the citizens voted to remodel the HS which makes little sense to me.

PacmanCool
rshaffer View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rshaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2012 at 9:52pm
SpiderJohn/Acclaro: thank you for your responses. Again, these are my thoughts, and I have no official capacity with the district except as a member of the committee. If I misstep, it is not intentional, just an error on my part. SJ: great suggestion about the AK land. That has not been proposed in any meeting that I have been in. This is what the committee is about---suggestions. In my opinion, the only driving forces have been the lack of available space in Middletown. I believe the "ideal" for a HS is 80 acres, but that would include a football stadium, ample ball fields, etc. Be aware, though, the Phase 2 proposal does not include a replacement of Barnitz Field or even an auditorium in a new HS. These are not funded by OSFC, but would have to be funded by an LFI--a "locally funded initiative". A "phys-ed. type" gymnasium would be included, but nothing the size of Wade E. Miller. A new gym like Miller would be paid for by the district. Again, I can't restate enough that nothing has be presupposed on location or need. The committee is trying to determine what the community wants. As to some of your questions, Acclaro, I've seen many of the answers (sq. ft., cost to renovate, demolition costs, etc.) in handouts from previous meetings. The information is available, just not readily available for me--I tend to keep everything (or so my family tells me) and every once in a while these things will come to the top when I stir up the pile. I'm not trying to evade the question, I just don't have ready access to it. I will say that Milt has been very good about producing these when asked. Last night someone asked for some historical documentation and he said that he would produce. I'll ask him the next time I see him sometime next week. To answer one of your questions, Acclaro, regarding the 2/3rds--OSFC only RECOMMENDS that a structure be replaced, they don't mandate it. So it is possible to renovate "Vail"; the final resolution would be in the hands of the board, and, of course, the voters. I, personally, think that it would be an interesting challenge to be involved with, but that's just me. Believe it or not, having monitored these blogs for several years, I think that this has been the most civil and rational look at this concern for all of us. I wish to thank you for your positive ideas. We all know that the entire city/community/school problems concern us all. Hopefully, we can move forward with the educational factor for our good, whether that means a new Phase 2 or updating Vail, MHS and Manchester. Thank you, gentlemen. I look forward to our next blog. Rick
Rick
rshaffer View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rshaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2012 at 9:56pm
Pacman: The last round of facilities' meetings that we had---about 6 months or so---reviewed all of the three options with dollar amounts. I believe that you are correct, that the cost to renovate the existing HS was about the same as building a new one. Rick
Rick
rshaffer View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rshaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2012 at 10:02pm
Pacman: just another thought. I tend to remember (I asked the question) that the cost of a new HS---it was proposed at the Verity site at the time---did not include a new auditorium. Again, an auditorium---any size---in a new facility would have to be paid for as an LFI--paid for separately by the district. I argued at the time that it didn't make sense to build a new HS (such as the Verity School location) and then have to bus or have the HS students get to Breiel and University (the current HS) for music concert practice, play practices, etc. Rick
Rick
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2012 at 2:23am

Well, since I was also in attendance at Thursday evening’s meeting, I guess it is time for me to weigh in with my thoughts and impressions.

First, I must say that I wish this meeting would’ve been taped, so that I could review the proceedings and be 100% accurate.  It was not (at least not to my knowledge), so let me preface my remarks by saying that I will try to be as accurate as possible, but I am relying on memory, notes, and especially impressions.

At the start of the meeting, everyone in attendance introduced themselves.  Then representatives from Fanning and Howey, Inc. (F/H) gave a brief presentation before asking a series of multiple choice questions of the group.  The group responded via 19 individual, anonymous radio frequency transmitters (resembling very small remote control units).  When all 19 responses were registered, the percentage choosing each of the possible answers was shown on the screen along with the question.

I found some apparent discrepancies between the verbal responses and the anonymous answers.  For example, during introductions, it was my distinct impression that nearly everyone in the room, save four or five people, worked for the school district, volunteered with the school district, had retired from the school district, or was employed by a contractor of the school district.  Yet, the anonymous replies to the question “Are you an employee of the school district?” indicated that less than half were.  This may have been technically true, but it seems to me that, as a poll question, that answer was somewhat misleading and, standing alone, could indicate much less of a bias toward a “school district position” than there might actually have been.  Along these same lines, only one person in the room had a child in the school system at present.  Yet, in response to one of the questions, only a couple of us had not been “in a district classroom” in the last few months.  Now, since there has not been a meeting of this committee for at least six months, since only one person in the room currently had a child in school, and fewer than half were “employees of the district”, why had everyone (save a couple of us) been in a district classroom very recently???   I wish I had the exact figures.

The “2003 Master Plan” was mentioned several times during the evening.  Master Plan “options” were mentioned, as was “Master Plan Phase Two”.  I felt as if I was the only one in the room unfamiliar with this “master plan” and asked if it was available on-line.  Mr. Thompson promised to email a copy to me.  (He has done so.  I received it Friday, but have not yet looked at it.  To my knowledge, I am the only one that asked for it.)

Towards the end of the meeting, F/H showed a series of slides consisting of an aerial view of Middletown with the existing school buildings shown, as well as several possible options for “Phase Two”.  One of the options was to leave all schools where they are right now, while performing any necessary repairs/modernizations required to the high school and middle school buildings.  F/H indicated that there may be new options arising as a result of these meetings.

Many times during the evening I got the impression or feeling that the “decision” had already been made, and that the real purpose of this committee was going to be to “sell” that decision to taxpayers.  (I truly hope that I am wrong about this.)  That feeling or impression was reinforced towards the end of the meeting, when we were divided into three smaller groups to compile lists of “What do YOU need to know.”  In our group, some of the members (retired teachers, I believe) were reluctant to list my single question/request.  In fact, they seemed a little “put out” that I dared to bother them with such a request.  What was it???  I asked to see “the inspection reports for the high school buildings, the Vail buildings, and the Verity buildings”.  They said that “the State will make the inspections after we make our decision”.  I asked them how we can possibly make a rational decision if the facilities have not been inspected so that we can know what has to be done to themto bring them up to snuff.  They looked at me like I was crazy.  I returned a similar expression.  I finally shrugged and said if they won’t put it on our list, I would ask someone else to put it on their list.  They relented, but listed it on a separate sheet, even though there was plenty of room on the first sheet.

Oh…one other thing:  earlier in the meeting, when F/H was mentioning the abandoning or possible demolition of Vail Middle School as an option, I asked F/H if they were familiar with Middletown’s City Ordinance 1210.  They said that they were not, and asked what it pertained to.  I said that it pertained to historic structures and puts severe limitations on what may, or may not, be done to such structures, including demolition or remodeling.  Could our local history buffs overzealousness for all things historic stand in the way of adequate school buildings???  I doubt it.  If they will “certify” junk auto hoods as “appropriate” for siding on a building in our “Historic Downtown Middletown”, what’s not to be found “certifiable”???  Still, if we follow the letter of the law, as our City Law Director is sworn to do…

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2012 at 8:08am
Why bother.  
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2012 at 9:41am
Interesting article about Monroe schools, how things can change.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2012 at 10:07am
"Many times during the evening I got the impression or feeling that the “decision” had already been made, and that the real purpose of this committee was going to be to “sell” that decision to taxpayers. (I truly hope that I am wrong about this.) That feeling or impression was reinforced towards the end of the meeting, when we were divided into three smaller groups to compile lists of “What do YOU need to know.” In our group, some of the members (retired teachers, I believe) were reluctant to list my single question/request. In fact, they seemed a little “put out” that I dared to bother them with such a request. What was it??? I asked to see “the inspection reports for the high school buildings, the Vail buildings, and the Verity buildings”. They said that “the State will make the inspections after we make our decision”. I asked them how we can possibly make a rational decision if the facilities have not been inspected so that we can know what has to be done to themto bring them up to snuff. They looked at me like I was crazy. I returned a similar expression. I finally shrugged and said if they won’t put it on our list, I would ask someone else to put it on their list. They relented, but listed it on a separate sheet, even though there was plenty of room on the first sheet".

Mike Presta

BINGO!!!!! MR. SHAFFER!...... IF ACCURATE.....MIKE PRESTA'S EXPERIENCE WITH HIS PARTICULAR GROUP, MADE UP OF TEACHERS/EDUCATORS SAYS IT ALL. ARROGANCE FROM THE SCHOOL BOARD TO THE SUPERINTENDENTS-PAST AND PRESENT, TO THE TEACHERS. THEY WILL TELL US TAXPAYERS THE WAY IT IS, WHILE REJECTING WHAT WE WANT.

THIS IS WHAT I HAVE ENCOUNTERED IN THE PAST WHEN I HAVE DECIDED TO ATTEND ANY EDUCATIONAL MEETING FUNCTION IN THIS DISTRICT. YOU HAVE TWO GROUPS.....THE GENERAL TAXPAYING PUBLIC, WHO ARE ASKED TO ATTEND AND PROVIDE "FEEDBACK" (BUT USUALLY IGNORED) AND THE EDUCATIONAL WORLD PEOPLE, MADE UP OF TEACHERS, ADMINISTRATORS, BOARD MEMBERS, THE SUPERINTENDENT AND OTHERS, WHO ARE ABSOLUTELY UNRESPONSIVE TO SUGGESTIONS MADE BY THE GENERAL PUBLIC. WE ARE AN INTRUSION INTO THEIR LITTLE PROTECTED WORLD. IF A MEMBER OUTSIDE THE PROTECTED, SECRET SOCIETY OF THE EDUCATIONAL WORLD MAKES A SUGGESTION THAT DOES NOT CONFORM TO THEIR PRECONCEIVED GAME PLAN THAT THEY WANT, IT IS REJECTED TO THE POINT OF CONFRONTATION.

THAT SIR, IS WHAT HAS ALWAYS FRUSTRATED ME AND HAS MADE ME SO HOSTILE TOWARD THE EDUCATIONAL CONTINGENT THAT OCCUPIES THIS TOWN. THIS IS THE PRINCIPAL REASON I REFUSE TO SUPPORT ANY PHASE INTIATIVES NOR LEVIES. THE ARROGANCE OF THE EDUCATION PEOPLE ANGERS ME. THEY WANT MY MONEY AT LEVY TIME, BUT THEY DON'T WANT TO HEAR MY IDEAS/INPUT INTO A SYSTEM THAT I AM PAYING INTO. CAN YOU NOW SEE WHY I AM SUCH AN ADVOCATE OF RESISTANCE TO THIS DISTRICT? ARROGANCE, MR. SHAFFER, ARROGANCE.

IF IT IS OF ANY CONSOLATION, CITY COUNCIL WORKS IN THE SAME MANNER, WITH THE SAME THEME.......ASK FOR PUBLIC INPUT, IGNORE IT AND GO WITH THE PRE-CONCEIVED PLAN ALREADY DECIDED LONG BEFORE THE PUBLIC INPUT. LIKE THE CITY COUNCIL, WITH THEIR INNER CIRCLE OF LIKE THINKERS AND PRE-ORDAINED DECISIONS, THE SCHOOL DISTRICT REFLECTS THE SAME TRAITS.

GIVEN THIS PERCEPTION OF EXCLUSION, I TEND TO STAY AWAY AS IT BECOMES A WASTE OF TIME FOR THE GENERAL PUBLIC TO PARTICIPATE IMO. THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR DECADES IN THIS TOWN.

HISTORICALLY, COUNCIL AND THE SCHOOL PEOPLE WILL SAY THAT THIS IS NOT THE WAY IT IS AND THEY ARE SORRY WE FEEL THIS WAY. (OR IN MULLIGAN'S RESPONSE, "IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT LEAVE") THAT HAS BEEN A TYPICAL RESPONSE FROM THE SCHOOL BOARD AND COUNCIL AT TIMES. THAT RESPONSE HAS NO CREDIBILITY ANYMORE FOR ME. IT IS A DISGUSTING RESPONSE FROM PEOPLE WHO ARE RUNNING THE SHOW.

I WISH YOU AND THE OTHERS GOOD LUCK IN PASSING YOUR PHASE II DREAMS. I, FOR ONE, AM GETTING TIRED OF THE PIE IN THE SKY SPENDING WHEN THE COMMUNITY IS BECOMING POORER OVER TIME. THE CITY LEADERS ARE WELL ON THEIR WAY TO RUINATION OF THIS TOWN AS THEY CREATE THE GHETTO OF SW OHIO HERE, BUT THE LAVISH SPENDING CONTINUES WITH THE COUNCIL AND SCHOOL COMMUNITY PET PROJECTS AT THE TAXPAYER'S EXPENSE. BOTH ARE KILLING US FINANCIALLY, AS YOU ATTEMPT TO DRAIN OUR WALLETS. JMO
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2012 at 12:41pm
sounds so typical, Mike
also pumps up the attendance #s to look better
but credit to rshaffer for putting it on here

what about further consolidation at the elementrary level?
what % are the current facilities full?

could we possibly shut down Anmanda, since the new choke plant will lower the air quality?
6 years there for small forming bodies/minds is probably not the best thing.
health of these youngsters should be first/foremost

re-route them to Mayfield, Rosa Parks, Monroe?
Monroe is struggling, and right on that border-maybe send them a diverse segment of those from that area

if we pull freshman classes to one building, this also frees up more space in the current high school location
fill the buildings in use now--
so--where do 6th-8th grade end up going in these plans?

not trying to be a downer, however I don't see a new school levy passing any time soon
still need the right plan in place for better times ahead

no reason to dump Barnitz for football
centralize around Rosa Parks, the health center, Barnitz park(for athletic training) and whatever transpires in that area which has a long history of educational facilities(Old South, McKinley, Taft, Edison, Young St.School, Central)
make the town balanced and whole
if ya want to bring that area back to life put something(s) there that are meaningful and necessary for everyone(instead of "arts" facilities).

why not tie this school facility re-positioning to a broad diverse community balancing?
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2012 at 1:43pm
Why bother.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2012 at 9:43pm
Question;

While the classifications may not have changed this year didn't the indicators go up??

I also believe the school's student population has increase by about 10% over the last 2-3 years.  It seems that everyone here is most concerned with the spending of $40M.  Doesn't anyone think that having new schools would help bring Middletown into the 21st century and make Middletown more appealing to new residents?  It would also assist with the declining value with residental property in Middletown.  As far as Middletown and Monroe merging, I do not see that happening.  My son goes to Monroe and it is a world of difference compared to Middletown.  No 63 incidents of trouble at Monroe, No cell phones in the school, etc, etc.  These are but a few reasons Middletown should bite the bullet and build new schools. 

PacmanCool
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2012 at 11:04pm
10 out of 28 on indicators from recollection. High school is well within 21st century. District loses about $1.6 Mm in open enrollment lost students. Schools have no influence on residents moving in. Consider:  Tax rate too high, amenities roads and infrastructure terrible, too few, reputation among top three worse cities in Ohio. No economic development. No, a new school building won't bring in residents. Miller Ridge has failed residential development and its right across the street from the newest school in the city. New schools somehow reduce student violence?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2012 at 3:08am

Pacman:

According to what Fanning & Howe told us last Thursday evening:

·       2003 enrollment projection predicted 7,637 students in 2012-2013.

·       2008 enrollment projection predicted 5,996 students in 2012-2013.

·       Actual 2010-2011 enrollment was 6,784.

·       Actual October 2011 enrollment was 6,484.

I am confused by one of your other points:  Will “incidents of trouble” or “cell phones” somehow be less disruptive to the educational process in new buildings?

I can’t be certain, but again, I just don’t see this as being about either a reward or punishment for what goes on inside the buildings.  It should be about whether or not the existing buildings can serve the intended purposes.  If not, would it be more economical to bring them up to snuff, or replace them???

I may be a simple man, but is it really any more complicated than that???

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2012 at 6:33am
"Doesn't anyone think that having new schools would help bring Middletown into the 21st century and make Middletown more appealing to new residents? It would also assist with the declining value with residental property in Middletown".

PACMAN

WITH ALL DUE RESPECT PAC, HAVE THE NEW ELEMENTARIES BROUGHT IN ANY NEW RESIDENTS? HAVE THE NEW ELEMENTARIES IMPROVED PERFORMANCE? HAVE THE NEW ELEMENTARIES COME CLOSE TO DUPLICATING WHAT PRICE AND THE SCHOOL CONTINGENT PROMISED? ANSWER TO ALL, IMO, NO.

"These are but a few reasons Middletown should bite the bullet and build new schools"

PACMAN

RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE PAC. IF THE CRITERIA FOR BUILDING NEW SCHOOLS IS TO ATTRACT MORE CITIZENS TO THIS TOWN AND TO IMPROVE PERFORMANCE, NO SCHOOL SHOULD BE BUILT AT ANY LEVEL IN THIS CITY AS THE TARGETS HAVE NOT BEEN MET FOR PHASE I. MAINTAIN WHAT WE HAVE.....CERTAINLY, BUT BUILD NEW....NO. OH, AND IT'S NOT JUST ABOUT CHANGING THE FACILITIES. THAT DOES NOTHING TO FIX WHAT IS HAPPENING INSIDE. THEY MUST CHANGE THE CULTURE IN EACH SCHOOL BUILDING ALSO-IE- MORE "TAKE CHARGE" CONTROL AND DISCIPLINE OF THE STUDENTS, ADJUST THE CURRICULUM/TEACHING METHODS, AND MOVE TOWARD EXTRICATING THE TENURED UNION TEACHERS WHO HAVE QUIT ON THE JOB AND NO LONGER OFFER ANYTHING TO THE EFFORT. WHAT THEY HAVE BEEN DOING THE LAST 10+ YEARS AIN'T CUTTIN" IT. WE ALL SEE THAT IN THE TEST SCORES, THE SNAILS PACE INDICATOR IMPROVEMENT AND THE GENERAL SKILLS OF SOME OF THE "GRADUATES" WHEN ENTERING THE WORKFORCE. (CAN'T SPELL, CAN'T READ FOR COMPREHENSION, CAN'T WRITE A PARAGRAPH, CAN'T DO SIMPLE MATH) CHANGES ARE NEEDED, BUT AT A PACE WITH MORE URGENCY THAN HAS BEEN DEMONSTRATED. JMO

Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2012 at 9:11am

Gentlemen
    I would strongly advise you watch the last Council Meeting and read this
weeks City Council Workbook because it clearly states that the new Butler County CIC Landbank will be funded by delinquent property taxes therefore fewer dollars will go to the school system. Doug Adkins and City Council are in favor of this plan and I believe it will pass on Tuesday. As I have said before I have great concern over the power of CIC’s.
    So I will suggest a new plan to the School Board. Since the “New Downtown” will be the Mecca of Education and Mr. Adkins is going to level the majority of the houses in the 2nd Ward anyway between Garfield St and Verity Parkway…or we have the other area of demo from Sutphin to University Blvd. that the new school be built in one of these neighborhoods as part of the
Revitalization Plan. 
    This will get rid of many section 8 housing units, remove a high crime area and revitalize your downtown area all in the same plan.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2012 at 9:51am

But won’t land values be going way UP…now that we will be having a SECOND Community Improvement Corporation competing for the properties??? LOL LOL LOL

(How many Community Improvement Corporations do they think we need???  More importantly, how many do they think we can afford???)

TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2012 at 10:10am
Mr. Schaeffer,

I read the comment about a new auditorium/theater would have to be approved separate from the new school. If that is correct; may I propose a "radical" solution.

MMF currently have the contract to purchase the Sorg Opera House. Why not have MMF, the school board and the city renovate the Opera House, open a School for the Creative and Performing Arts, and concentrate building a top quality gymnasium in a new facility.

This would solve more than a few problems. The cost of renovating the Opera House to be used by the School District would open up the prospect of grant money to cover the cost of renovating. If I've read all the posts correctly (doubtful), that renovation cost would go towards the money the school district would count to reach the $40m "kickback" on capital improvements. It would leave the School Board the option of needing to design only an athletic facility and not an auditorium. It saves an historic, downtown building and provides for a unique education experience for Middletown students. It makes the city and the school district look like they are actually working together.

I'm sure there are some holes in this that I haven't thought of, considering that I just thought of it. It would seem a solution to a number of problems and provides for an opportunity to solve those problems with one decision. Sounds too simple.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic