FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Laubach Town Hall

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Jlaubach View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jlaubach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laubach Town Hall
    Posted: Aug 29 2011 at 9:05am
Good Morning,

For those interested, I will be holding my 2nd town hall meeting of 2011 this evening from 5:30-7:00PM . It will take place at Atrium Medical Center's Professional Building on the 5th floor. Please feel free to attend.

Thanks,

Josh Laubach
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2011 at 9:31am
Thanks for the heads up Josh. Good to hear you continue to have these meetings with your constituents. Keep up the good work councilman.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2011 at 10:36am
Mr. Laubach, I would very much like to attend. Unfortunately, my son has to work tonight and I will need to be home providing care for my wife.

If I may, I would like to use this forum to ask what I would ask you if I could attend. As always, it is your choice whether to respond or not.

1. How do you feel about the airport situation? Similarly, how do you feel about Sunset Pool? Did the city do the right thing in filling in the pool site? What do you think the city ought to do with regard to airport operations? What is your opinion concerning the demolition of the various buildings around town and what is the plan to fill all of those "greenspaces"?

2. What is your opinion on the progress of PAC and the downtown area to date? How do you feel about the Cincy State situation right now and how do you feel about the success of the campus plan?

3. Does anyone on council or in the city building have as their top priority, getting decent jobs in this town? If so, could you outline the plan and when any measurable results could be seen? To date, we haven't seen too much progress being made in that area of city government as to attracting any real jobs other than fast food and lower echelon industrial park jobs. The only exception is, of course, the new coke plant for AK. Need more than 75 decent jobs here.

4. How do you feel about the overall direction of the city as to preparation for the future. The current condition of the city doesn't seem to present itself in a positive light IMO. If positive, can you elaborate for us as to any news that could be construed as positive that we may or may not know about?

5. What impact, in your opinion, has Section 8 overabundance had on the city as to service stress, image and economic impact? What are your thoughts on lowering the numbers?

I have more questions but will stop at this point.

Thank you for any response you choose to provide.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2011 at 12:30pm
Thank you very much for this opportuniy, Councilman Laubaugh.
However, I will be attending another meeting tonight y Chamber of Commerce meeting room on Central Avenue. This meeting sponsored by the Chamber, is a follow-up from a prior session comprised of area small businesses impacted and concerned with the skyrocketing frequency of crime(robberies, thefts, burglaries, drugs etc.) in the area from the Chamber office up to Shafor Street(mostly in the wards of Mr.Picard and yourself). The last meeting was attended by 23 of the 25 area businesses contacted(impressive rate!) plus three Chamber reps and three reps from the Middletown Police Dept.

That meeting went extremely well, with all businesses identifying themselves and crime issues affecting them both personally and at their businesses. Very constructive advise from police reps and a true spirit of involvement and working together. No finger-pointing or blame, though EVERYONE is concerned that our city govt. will be both increasing the local rate of poerty by INCREASING our level of Section 8, while also DECREASING our public safety forces. This does not sound like a path towards a better functioning and safer community, especially since the additional vouchers will probably be placed in areas aprroximate to these concerned business locations.
Steve w Lewis View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve w Lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2011 at 8:13pm

Thanks to Mr. Trick for opening his doors and to the organizers for promoting to getting to the bottom of this crime problem in this town.  Both officers very informative along with Mr. Adkins who had to once again let us know the issues involving section 8, uphill battle.  Very interesting hearing from the landlords and the amount of damage and theft they deal with.

Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2011 at 9:34pm
I wonder how quickly this problem would get addressed if all city leaders lived IN this town.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2011 at 9:35pm
Hey Spider,

The last I heard a couple of years ago HUD had about 100,000 new vouchers and they were expecting Middletown to take some, but Ms G told HUD "NO Thanks". 

Where did you hear about new vouchers coming to Middletown?

PACMANCool
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2011 at 6:24am
How did Mr. Laubach's meeting go last night? Any other councilmembers care enough to participate? Topics?
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2011 at 6:36am
Vet,
     Your questions were used as the agenda for discussion. Mr. Laubaugh was straightforward in his answers and the questions were discussed in detail until time ran out. He is a very bright young man and I'm glad he is on council. Both the Mayor and Anita Sc ott Jones stopped in for brief periods and responded to the questions.  Due to the short notice and I believe the time of year the attendance was sparse. I hope in the future there will be a much larger attendance because Mr. Laubaugh doesn't hesitate to give a strong response to what he beieves is the answer to the question or situation. 
      We encouraged him to answer your questions on this forum and I believe he will.
          pn
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2011 at 6:58am
Thank you very much for your response Mr. Nagy. Glad all went well last night. I agree, it was very short notice. I would be able to attend on any Tues, Wed or Thurs. as my son can watch my wife during those evenings.

Would also be interested to hear the responses from Mr. Mulligan and Ms. Scott-Jones and am pleased they could attend. At least they cared enough to make the effort to interact with the people.

I wish more would attend as there seems to be an abundance of discontent in town, and this was another opportunity to voice that discontent. Do (but don't) understand why more don't use the opportunity to participate. (Apathy- disgusted, but not enough to get off the couch to talk to council)
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2011 at 7:30am
pacman---Mr.Adkins attended the meeting @ the Chamber last night(well-attended---17 including 2 from police--ED rep Hamet and CR czar Adkins).

Section 8 was the forced topic in relation to area crime.
We should still be at 1662 vouchers, with no significant change in the near future, though the city was judged to be sustainable for only approx.500 vouchers.

We know how we got here--took 39 years.
Will take a decade or probably longer to change to a lower #, if ever.

Was all covered up when the rest of the town was booming with jobs and income.
When that all left, the poverty programs remain in full force and move to the forefront.

City Commission/Admin ASKED for these vouchers over an extended period of time.

30 attendees at the first business/area crime forum
17 last night
no Councilmembers at either session
outside of Council members, 2 Council candidates and 1 citizen at Laubaugh's forum?
How many at AJ's last forum?
Other Councilmembers' forums? Becker's? Allens'? Picard's? Mulligan's?
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2011 at 7:34am
Sj,
    We were informed last night that the Section 8 number is now over 1700 and growing.
              pn
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2011 at 9:33am
 We were informed last night that the Section 8 number is now over 1700 and growing.
 pn   

Paul
I thought that Mr Adkins said that increased number of vouchers was because the new system was still being loaded and updated. ...Hmmmm??          
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2011 at 12:15pm
Having 1662 vouchers, approx. 900 over what we are suppose to have for a town the size of Middletown is disgusting. Increasing that number is criminal and an assault on the quality of life in this city as it relates to businesses, the residents not on Section 8, the city's services that need to be provided to accomodate this added burden and may have done irreparable damage to any future city growth as to attracting future business and residents.

Ms. Scott-Jones, Mr. Laubach, why did this city government allow this to escalate other than to generate revenue from the feds to administer this cancerous program. I realize you can't speak for prior city leaders, but you can certainly provide a reason for the current excessive dilemma. Why the saturation of this devastating program? Why ruin Middletown for a few fed bucks? Why didn't anyone try to stop this? Your cronies have made this town the ghetto of SW Ohio with the poverty that accompanies this.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2011 at 6:35pm
Mr Nagy,

If I am correct, the number of vouchers issued in a months time may acceed the 1662 legally and the number that really counts is the 12 month total of 19944.  That is the total number of voucher 1662 x 12 that should be issued in Middletown in a years time.  Many months in the past Consoc went over the 1662 vouchers that were issued per month.  It appears that what happened just before Consoc left, they issued as many vouchers as they could to increase their final pay.  200 vouchers would mean about $10,000 extra per month.

Personally, if I were running the city, I would assign Mr Adkins to the section 8 issue full time and I would have him banging Boehner's front door and demanding some help in this situation as Middletown is going down the tubes.  I would also be beating down the doors of all House of Representives that represent Middletown.  I would further hire an attorney that specializes in this matter and in dealing with Washington Politians.  I would also send Mr Atkins to Wash DC to deal directly with HUD. 

Now I know this will cost some money, but the amount of money we've lost with inaction by our city leaders is far more costly.  The problems of Middletown will never be solved and Middletown will never prosper again without taking some aggressive action.

Mr. Nagy, I will try to make it to Mr. laubauchs next meeting but right now, I am still learning how to avoid walking into walls and getting hit by cars.  Thank you for attending the meeting and respresenting the citizens.

PACMANCool
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2011 at 7:29am
Had coffee with some friends who travel out of town for business and live in town they try to follow the local news but really only have time to hear and see whats happening in Middletown. When I asked them have they seen any positive change they laughed.  Even though they travel to large cities they do quite a bit of business in towns the size of ours, they admit all of the country is hurting but nothing like this town that they grew up in.  Leadership is what we talked about and how that with private business could start the change.  I try to be respectful and do admire those that serve on council but they have lost their minds to trust and put MY money in the hands of this current city manager. 
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2011 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

Mr. Nagy, I will try to make it to Mr. laubauchs next meeting but right now, I am still learning how to avoid walking into walls and getting hit by cars.  Thank you for attending the meeting and respresenting the citizens.
Paman,
I just didn't think about it or I would've been glad to have offered you a ride.  Of course, I arrived a few minutes late.  Thanks to our city's dopey sign ordinances, it was extremely difficult to find the place.

I am not ashamed of our city's businesses.  I am proud of them.  If elected to City Council this November, I will vote FOR allowing signs that can actually be seen from the street by a driver passing by who is also paying attention to traffic!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2011 at 7:13am
Mr. P the way things are going out at the highway you really don't need to make them much bigger there's not a whole lot of NEW signs going up!  How I tell visitors to get to the hospital is to take a left after you pass the 55gal barrel that still sitting in the Duke gas station.  Just under the high tension wires.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2011 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by ground swat ground swat wrote:

Mr. P the way things are going out at the highway you really don't need to make them much bigger there's not a whole lot of NEW signs going up!  How I tell visitors to get to the hospital is to take a left after you pass the 55gal barrel that still sitting in the Duke gas station.  Just under the high tension wires.
Ground Swat,
Sure, but how do you direct them to the Professional Building entrance??? Hint: Do NOT tell them to "look for the sign" unless they have someone riding with them to do the "looking".
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2011 at 9:05pm
Thank you Mr. Kohler. Wasn't trying to make lite of your problem Mr. P but it's hard not to look at the bigger picture and that is Who's in charge and what is the plan. Because it really isn't making an sense to most of us.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2011 at 10:08pm

Well, Kohler’s plan seems to be to hide all hints of business, commerce and industry from sight; allow a few small signs very low to the ground and then force the owner to plant trees or bushes in front of them so that, within a year or so, no one will be able to see them.  A “quaint village of about 20,000” is the way it was stated in the Master Plan I believe.

I just can’t understand why the City’s senior staff is ashamed of our businesses.  Can’t they understand how the revenue is generated to pay their salaries and benefits???  We need some stern and specific policy changes made regarding true “business friendliness”.  If it takes a housecleaning at City Hall to accomplish this, then so be it.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2011 at 6:26am
Mike, IMO, it will either take a housecleaning at city hall or the election of different people on council that are strong-minded enough to start directing Gilleland, Kohler, Landen and the other loose cannons in city government and making them follow the direction of council or a council strong-minded enough to start the process of termination from Gilleland on down. God, I'd like to be a part of that! Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to be a participant in sitting in front of them and telling them they are terminated. These people need to lose their jobs, especially when you consider what they have done to this city.
Jlaubach View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jlaubach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2011 at 9:34am
Vet,

Thanks for the questions. I will give some brief responses.

1. How do you feel about the airport situation? Similarly, how do you feel about Sunset Pool? Did the city do the right thing in filling in the pool site? What do you think the city ought to do with regard to airport operations? What is your opinion concerning the demolition of the various buildings around town and what is the plan to fill all of those "greenspaces"?

-At this point, all parties concerned have moved forward and an agreement has been made in reference to the issues at the Airport.   
I understand many people had a desire to see Sunset remain open. However, the economic factors made this unrealistic. There have been many discussions concerning the pool and no viable options were put forward. I think removing the pool was the right decision.

2. What is your opinion on the progress of PAC and the downtown area to date? How do you feel about the Cincy State situation right now and how do you feel about the success of the campus plan?

-I am encouraged by the amount of interest in the PAC and I believe this is going to be, not the only, but a big economic driver for downtown.   In terms of Cincinnati State, I see them coming to town and playing a large part in the redevelopment of downtown as well. Things are moving along in making this campus a reality.

3. Does anyone on council or in the city building have as their top priority, getting decent jobs in this town? If so, could you outline the plan and when any measurable results could be seen? To date, we haven't seen too much progress being made in that area of city government as to attracting any real jobs other than fast food and lower echelon industrial park jobs. The only exception is, of course, the new coke plant for AK. Need more than 75 decent jobs here.

-Jobs are the desire of all communities and Middletown is no exception.   The economic development department and others are doing what is within their means to bring jobs to Middletown.   Changing Middletown’s image from the outside along with economic incentives and selling our location will bring more jobs to our community.

4. How do you feel about the overall direction of the city as to preparation for the future? The current condition of the city doesn't seem to present itself in a positive light IMO. If positive, can you elaborate for us as to any news that could be construed as positive that we may or may not know about?

-I don’t want to minimize the issues we are facing in Middletown. From state cuts to our budget to crime, we have challenges as a city that will require difficult decisions and perseverance.   However, all is not lost either. We have good news in a number of areas. Our airport is bringing large amounts of visitors into town. Agree or disagree with what they are, there are things happening downtown; Broad St. Bash, PAC and Cincinnati State just to name a few. On the East End, have the Greentree HSA , a new VA Center, YMCA, Paychex and the Atrium campus along with many other developments and opportunities.    Next month, we will see the start-up of a $350+million investment from Suncoke. We have also had investments from Wausau Paper in their facility downtown.    There are positive things taking place in Middletown.

5. What impact, in your opinion, has Section 8 overabundance had on the city as to service stress, image and economic impact? What are your thoughts on lowering the numbers?

-The saturation of subsidized housing, in my opinion, has been detrimental to Middletown and those who are in need of housing assistance. It is not possible for Middletown to survive with the level of concentration that we now have. The loss of tax revenue coupled with the strain on our services makes both the City and those receiving assistance worse off.
It is my opinion that we must reduce the concentration of subsidized housing in Middletown. However, the restrictions that HUD puts on MPHA make it difficult to just arbitrarily “lower numbers”. In fact, complying with HUD’s Section 8 program, leaves us with very little control. It’s a sad fact, but in the past we invited the federal government into our community and now we must play by their rules.
The task ahead of Middletown, in terms of Section 8, is difficult but not impossible.   The policies adopted some months back create incentives for those on the Section 8 program to live outside of Middletown.   In addition, it holds landlords and tenants accountable and removes those from the program who are criminal or are breaking program rules. This is a significant step in the right direction.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2011 at 10:05am
Thank you for the responses Josh. Have some additional questions pertaining to your responses.
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2011 at 11:11am
Mr. Laubach, with your response on the demolition of Sunset Pool in mind, how do you feel about the city having given over a million dollars to the golf course over the last five years?

Isn't it somewhat hypocritical of the city to continue to spend approximately $200,000 per year on the golf course with no financial ROI in sight while demolishing Sunset Pool due to economic concerns with operational costs quoted that were approximately 25% of what the city has been pumping into the golf course each year?

Furthermore, how do we justify demolishing the pool at a cost of around $70k when it costs less than that to operate for a season and we still had nearly $20k from AK Steel earmarked only for the pool that is sitting unused? Was it a smart decision to demolish the pool when it could have just as easily been left alone?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic