FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

State Of The City Address

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: State Of The City Address
    Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 6:47am
Today's Journal....

"Protestors plan rally at Middletown mayor's State of the City address
The AFL-CIO will protest before mayor’s address because of his ‘vocal support’ of Senate Bill 5".

"Andy Richards, spokesman for the AFL-CIO, said organizers are choosing to hold the protest before Mayor Larry Mulligan’s State of the City address due to the mayor’s “vocal support” of portions of the bill".

"Mulligan said he will likely focus on the city’s accomplishments in the past year, such as the opening of the Pendleton Art Center where the speech and rally will be held".

Pendleton hasn't really gotten off the ground as yet to call it an accomplishment, has it mayor? I suppose you are going to name Cincy State as an accomplishment also and it hasn't even been formalized as yet. They're still shopping around aren't they? Nothing set in stone on either of these "projects" but you're going to call them successes on Thursday? Who is fooling who here, Mayor Mulligan?

"Councilman A.J. Smith plans to stand with the protesters Thursday. He said he believes Mulligan supports “big corporations and CEOs” and not “the middle class and working class.”

No AJ, you still don't get it do you? This is about saving the city some money and the unions not breaking the bank on their negotiations. Most cities(Middletown excluded in some cases) and states are cash starved, are cutting back on people and expenses and are desperate to save a buck. The feds aren't passing the money down to the states and the states aren't passing it down to the cities. Got nothing to do with supporting "big corporations/CEO's over middle/working class. You have been brainwashed by your union buddies. That has been their slogan for decades suggesting corporations/management is shafting the workers. Job security is no longer in the workplace and the union people are still operating in the 50's/60's who think so. Why do the union folks think they are immune to layoffs like the rest of us have faced for the last 20 years? Why don't they think they should be paid on merit as opposed to automatic raises no matter what kind of job they do? They aren't in a special category. Some of us working taxpayers who foot their salaries and most of their benefits/retirement packages want some financial accountability and a level playing field on shared bennies/retirement costs, no "step increases" and reasonable wages. Bottom line... We're taking a hit out here in privateland. They need to share the hit in publicland as well. Just asking for a little balance between private/public. JMO

Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 8:34am

the show that is the union thug yelling contests will cause some heat for the mayor becuase the liberal MJ will trumpet the protests.  But in the end it will not matter.  SB5 is becoming law.  AJ's union mentors better start spending their time figuring out how to improve their union members work performance under merit-based pay concepts instead of using threats and greed to maintain cushy benefits and protect bad employees.

swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 9:15am
AJ is wrong.  As an elected city official, he should do the right--and respectable thing--and attend the State of the City address.  His views can differ from that of the Mayor's, but he is an elected representative.
midres View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 9:26am
This is just another illustratin of the immaturity of AJ.  He does not belong on our city council.  Hopefully those that he represents in his 'Ward' will have a talk with him and show hime the error of his ways.  His actions are getting very close to the point where his constituents should consider recall!!  There is no prefoeesionalism in the way he acts.  At a time when we are trying to rebuild this city, we have enough other distractions in our current city upper level employees and do not need rable rousers front and center.  This is very definitely not the type of attention that the city of Middletown needs!!
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 10:10am
 I totally agree with the postings of SWO and midres.
As a supporter of AJ Smith, I am very disappointed with these actions.
Our city and our Mayor aren't even bit players in what is going on state-wide, nationally and world-wide.
Thurdsay afternoon at the state of the city address and at the opening of Pendleton is not the place for this activity.
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 10:29am
I'm impressed that the mayor took a stand. He didn't have to and I am sure he knew he would catch hell for it.

Mayor Mulligan is doing what we elected him to do. He and council have painful cuts to make, with SB5 maybe some layoffs can be averted.

As for AJ, I have lost faith in him. Too bad because I thought he represented the people of his district. By not attending he is representing nothing. He is failing to represent by being absent.

What is it with these elected officials abdicating their duties? I hope the voters remember this next election cycle.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 11:48am
AJ why don't you go find yourself a real job and try working for a living, maybe then we could respect your view on organized labor.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 11:53am
It has been clear for a lengthy period Smith has no interest in his city nor constituents, but pursuing the typical Dem line associated with union power which means Dem votes. i would think he would exert more time getting his act and paperwork together for his filing associated with the treasurer filing, than this.

I add each municipality can choose to elect to not take advantage of any changes in the state law. It gives them a tool at their discretion. These unions, including NEA, OEA, need to be busted. The protest is more of an effort to intimidate Mr. mulligan, wo in all candor, is not epxected to run again for office. Memo to Smith: I suggest you focus on getting your campaign spreadsheet completed, as if not, unless the union is paying for your fines, > $40,000 is more than chump change for a young buck trying to earn an Associate's Degree with no job.

And to think Nobama is putting Strickland in charge of the DNC. Ohio will not go Obama in 2012. Smith, you are letting your ambitions get ahead of your daily responsibilities. Kind of hoping you get nailed with a $40,000 fine based on your behavior.  
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 11:53am
If AJ addends this protest and tries to disrespect the Mayors speech, it should be demanded that he resign effective today. Whether agrees with the Mayor or not, this is not the time and place for these actions. He should get a full time hjob so he can pay his $43000 in fines. He has now proven he has no qualifications for ghe job. He only does what he thinks is necessary to promote AJ. The citizens and city are 3nd place in his mind. jmo
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 12:30pm
acclaro - these unions... need to be busted? So, you're against unions, labor, Democrats and anyone else who would deny GE the right to pay no corporate taxes? The right to strip workers of any say in their working conditions? The right to ASK for a decent wage? It's take what we give you and be happy but, by the way, you'd better perform or we'll take some more from you. And people wonder why our public service employees are demoralized. They are being made the scapegoat for the political handouts that have gone on for the last ten years. Under a Democratic President and a Republican House, we had 3 straight ballanced budgets. I don't hear Republicans talking about balancing the budget by increasing revenues, only by cutting spending. By the way, where are all those jobs the Republicans were touting? I wonder how many of those new jobs are minimum wage jobs, which Republicans would like to see minimum wages cut? If you can't see that both parties, Democrat and Republican, have started this little class war as a diversion to remain in control of the political process, then you need to WAKE UP!!!

AJ - going to the protest beforehand is all well and good, but as a voter in your ward, I encourage you to attend the mayors speech. Just because you disagree with him is no reason to disrespect him. If we can't have a sensible, civilized discussion about our problems, maybe we need new leaders who can provide answers to our problems. Quite frankly, that's why when you go to the voting booth, and you see a (D) or an (R) by someone's name, YOU SHOULD NOT VOTE FOR THEM!!! If you want REAL change, vote out the politicians and political parties who have created this mess!!!
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 1:02pm
There might be some misunderstanding here--very understandaber(lol).
I would expect Mr.Smith to attend the Mayor's address, as an equal voting member of Council, with no attempt whatsoever to disrupt the event.

Mr.Smith strongly feels one way on this issue---the Mayor supposedly supports the alternative.
I have yet to hear our Mayor clearly take a stance on the issue--he surely didn't speak up initially when introduced by Mr.Laubaugh, or when the mass influx of people commented against the proposal.

Tough issue for me--I don't like the extremism of either position, however drastic measures must now be taken to get closer to solvency at every level. Such is the result when politicians ignore a difficult situation for so long, causing drastic measures to be forced upon everyone. Once again, what part of "NO MORE MONEY" is everyone failing to understand and accept? The private sector is no longer able to support the public sector as in the past. Bad/greedy money management decisions by the retirement fund administrators and politicians raiding the benefit piggy banks have brought this on. imo.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 1:47pm
TonyB- of course there was a time when unions did some good and were desperately needed, but that period has changed. Workers have safe work environments and generally, are paid at market rates, with the execption of the public sector who are paid over the private sector in many respects. It is the obama adminsitartion who refuses to lower the corporate tax rate, not the Repubs(R), and as a result, as the excellent piece on 60 Minutes demonstrated, it has cost the US nearly a $T in tax benefit. Companies move where it is most cost effective, that was the point and what was driving it.

sj is correct. The 2008 'meltdown' has drained equity. For at least 20 years, at least in Middletown, you could expect a modest cost of living adjustment on home valuation. Now, that rate is easily reset back to about 1990 time periods. With the massive private sector cuts, the impact upon state and federal taxation and revenue is quite apparent. In Ohio, the private sector pays on average 24% of medical and retirement, in contrast to the public which is about 9%. It is just not sustainable TB.

I am unsure if Mr. Mulligan really supports the unions or not. I would not agree his communication has been overwhelmingly opposed. I also have seen sufficent evidence to know Mr. smith makes his priority the union in all he does, the city and his constituents, last. But that's true for most council members with one or two exceptions. IMHO of course.    
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 4:03pm
acclaro - unions can still be productive but they, like everything and everyone, must change. We can agree to disagree about public sector/private sector pay. My contention is that for most public service jobs, the educational requirements are higher and the demands are greater. Formal education is not always a necessary requirement for a private sector worker; skill, smarts, determination; these things have turned people without a college degree into millionaires. Public service jobs do not offer the possibility of that kind of advancement.

I do not think you understand what I'm driving toward here, and for that apologize for my clumsy prose. The Obama administration is no more the culprit here than the Congress who voted themselves a pay raise by keeping the lower rate on taxes for millionaires. It does not matter what the corporate rate is: it could be 99% but if you have enough deductions, exemptions, subsidies, etc. and pay nothing!!!! what does it matter? True small businesses can't afford the administrative overhead it would take, they can't afford to keep looking for cheaper health care coverage for their employees, they can't keep getting squeezed by a tax rate meant to benefit the wealthy at the expense of those starting out!!! It is the basic UNFAIRNESS of our entire tax structure that is at the root cause of our lack of productivity as an economy!

I do offer a solution; at least for this. VOTE THEM OUT!!! If the candidate running has a (D) or an (R) by their name, refuse to vote for them! If we don't break the stranglehold that these two political parties have on our government, we will never solve the problems this country faces.

I would love to have a rally for that!!! Anyone In?

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 5:10pm
I am beginning to comprehend your point well made TonyB. And, I agree with your position on there aren't significant differences between a D or R, each pander to their historical right or left, giving lip service and a nod as they do so.

Perhaps the real solution to the nation's tax problem is a flat tax. Will that ever be implemented? Possibly, but with so much lobbying, a daunting challenge. I do take umbrage on the aspect of education being more apparent in the public sector vs private. There are tradeoffs. Would an MBA from Wharton working at Goldman Sachs make more than a math teacher? Yes, but are there MBA's with emphasis in Finance changing jobs in the private sector every 3-4 years vs lifteime tenure and job security? Of course.

In reality, on balance, the skewing towards public sector employees enjoying better pay and benefits with lifelong job security is much different and less "risk adverse" than the private sector. A college prof at Maimi commands > $150 Kk annually. That compares favorably when considering lifelong employment, tenure, sabbaticals to an IBM MBA traveling 5 days a week, hoping to make it 5 years before the next company move or transition.

I also repsectfully disagree with the doctrine of avoidance of taxation for the wealthy. The only way to cure the problem you reference in my opinion, is the flat tax. The very rich pay about a 16% tax rate and have arsenals of CPA's to take advantage of every tax loophole. The rate could be 99% as you suggested, but as companies have found ways to skirt the rate (aka the Ireland reference on 60 Minutes) so have the wealthy.

I have enough headaches watching the demise of Middletown and its impact upon our property valuation. Overlay the macroeconomic dilemma globally, and the problems there, and its a bit overwhelming. Huckabee did advocate the flat tax rate and didn't get too much traction. At the end of the day TonyB, I think most get caught up in the "can't see the treesfor the forest" syndrome, and the wheels keep spinning, cycle after cycle, albeit D or R.      
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 5:52pm
As I was reading the article on the MJ about Middletown being one of a handful of cancer clusters in the US, I was wondering what new impact this revelation will have on the wonderful city? Is our water supply contaminated and provided by Middletown knowing it was mixed with potential toxins from Dick's Creek? Is this rate of incidence much higher than other areas...I think so, or it would not be named a cancer site. This is really an alarming article that begs much deeper and thorough investigation. Take note how quickly the MJ made a wowful attempt to retract the report, after it was already referenced by the Senate floor. This pronouncement is far more damaging to Middletown than a Laura Willaims outburst or a woman dressed as a cow running down the street. Dead city by Forbes, now a cancer cluster revelation. Not positive news. 
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 6:26pm
And we thought it was hard to sell a house BEFORE this news.

I'd be interested in knowing how many of the 11 (at least) with brain cancer that worked at a particular area of the steel mill. I remember hearing that at least 2-3 of them worked in one small department at AK.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 7:31pm
I agree on the house impact bill. that will sure impact Middletown's desireability which is nill anyway. this is Three Mile Island, an Erin Brokavich type deal, contaminated water causing brain cancer. All the specific details and correlation the Ohio Department of Health said was they could not conclusively show correlation. That was because 11 cases of death in a short period. What will it be in 5 more years/ or 10? Frightening to be candid.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 8:13pm

Regarding the AK contaminants, is it airborn?  is it Dick's Creek?  Where is a fearless councilperson to question the water treatment plant and their data?  AJ, you have nothing better to do ...get on it...

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 8:37pm
TonyB- I need to comment on some of your thoughts on workers in unions versus non-union environments...

"The right to strip workers of any say in their working conditions? The right to ASK for a decent wage? It's take what we give you and be happy but, by the way, you'd better perform or we'll take some more from you"
Private industry doesn't take any money away from you, they just terminate you if you fail to perform)

I have worked non-union shops all my life. Eight to be exact. I have never had a sayso in my working environment. When you accepted the job, you accepted the working environment.Usually weren't that bad to be honest other than overly political. Never had a sayso in the wage either. Again, when you accepted the job, you were told the pay range of the job and you could always opt out in accepting it. And your comment "take what we give you and be happy, but, by the way, you'd better perform or we'll take some more from you"- said a little differently, we'll find someone who will do the job if you don't perform and you can leave the company. Saw this alot in private industry. They would transfer the person or start the documentation to terminate with a verbal warning, then written and finally, out the door in private industry, unless you signed a contract, (which most are not offered), the company can get rid of you anytime they wish. Likewise, you can leave anytime you wish. The union environment protects the worker a little better than this, even the poor workers within their ranks. You're on your own in the private sector. How many times have you or your public sector friends been downsized? I lost my P&G job in 1994. My General Cable job in 1999 and my Thermo Black Clawson job in 2002. How many times has a public sector person lost their job since 1994? Until now, the public sector was the place to go to accrue longevity on the job. Job security went out the window for the private sector twenty plus years ago. The public sector has been lucky.....until now.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 9:10pm
TonyB- some more comments to respond to....

"My contention is that for most public service jobs, the educational requirements are higher and the demands are greater".- Tony, I would be willing to bet that you have never experienced the pressure and demands of corporate America such as P&G. It is a meat grinder each and every day. So much competition to get the attention of the big shots who are grading how one contributes on their respective projects at the tech centers.

"Formal education is not always a necessary requirement for a private sector worker; skill, smarts, determination; these things have turned people without a college degree into millionaires". Maybe in the 50's and 60's hard work, determination, smarts, etc. would get you up the ladder but since the 70's, private industry almost always requires a college degree if you want to have a chance at advancement. In some places, if you start as a non-degreed employee, you stay in the status of a non-degreed employee, even if you go to school at night and get your degree- some companies have this stigma that if you came in non-degreed, you don't enter the company with the status of a degreed person. Companies won't consider you for a higher position without the sheepskin. About the best you will do is a floor supervisor without that degree in industry.

"Public service jobs do not offer the possibility of that kind of advancement". I would imagine that there have been some people promoted within the Midd. city building who haven't had the credentials, nor the degree who have been placed in upper level positions. How about the woman who was the Director of Public Works- Ginger Smith. Did she have a degree? How about Debbie Alberico's position as the school spokesperson to the tune of 98 thou a year or so? Does she have a degree or was she brought up because someone liked her and sponsored her to this lofty paying position? I'm sure Gilleland has her pets and has promoted people based on her liking them and not because they were qualified. Happens everywhere. Hell, Bill Becker was given the city manager's job and he didn't have a day in as a city manager anywhere. Same goes for his new job as emergency director (or whatever he's called) in Warren County. No experience there either. Just given the job because he interfaced with it as the police chief. Just seems like there are plenty of opportunities for advancement in the public realm. People constantly coming and going. Look at Robinette.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 9:51pm
Viet Vet - it's an honor to respond to to your sincere and honest comments, this is how understandings are forged and consensus on actions are reached.
I find your comparison of the union-non union work place interesting. Individual workers are always at a disadvantage in an industrial setting; that's why unions had their beginnings in factories. They give a worker some protection from the situations you describe. It is unfortunate that the protection for good workers turned into protecting membership in the union. My father worked for GM for 30 yrs and he did not always see eye to eye with the union. He also did not want to advance up the management ladder because he was reluctant to give up those union guarantees. Being downsized is a common occurance in private sector jobs. That, supposedly, was the advantage to a public sector job; the job security. I agree that those days are numbered given the continuation of present trends.

The contention that most public service jobs require more education and have greater demands is a generalization. Corporate America can compare; I do believe there might be more teachers, police officers, firefighters, etc. than top level management in corporate America. The difference there is pay. I don't care how high Ginger Smith, Debbie Alberico or Bill Becker rose in the public sector, a comparable position at P&G would have paid much more. The difference there is that unqualified people in the private sector rarely rise that high unless they are outstanding employees; the same cannot be said for public service employees. Sometimes, all a public employee has to do is stay around to rise to his highest level of inefficiency.

TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 10:28am
acclaro - tried twice to respond to your comments and interupted both times. third times the charm! lol

IMO there should be a progressive (uh oh, there's that word) income tax. The more you make, the higher percentage you pay based on the argument that the wealthy derive more benefit from a free society. I've discussed the basic unfairness of our current tax structure. At the moment, the wealth of this country is concentrated at the top. In a consumer-based economy, the more people with money, the stronger the economy. I do not propose a re-distribution of wealth; what I propose is more in line with what happened during the last serious economic downturn. Use tax revenues to rebuild our infrastructure to take advantage of new technologies. The "Manhatten Project" this country desperately needs is to get the US off of an oil-based economy. So long as our enemies control the oil, we are in danger.

I also am of the opinion we need a constituitional amendment to term limit members of Congress. No elected official should ever serve long enough to get a pension. IMO elected office is not a "job", it is a "service" , they should not receive a "salary" but "compensation" for their time. It's galling to me to watch career politicians say that we're broke when they caused it and they will walk away with their gov. pension and free health care. That needs to come to a screeching halt!

I also believe that once the tax code is simplified, we send the accountants from the IRS over to the Dept. of Justice to straighten out this bank fiasco. Someone needs to go to jail over this mess.

It is going to take a while for property values to rebound from the mess the banks and mortgage companies have perpetrated. For now, it seems best to stay in the home you have and do everything to make your house more energy efficient. The goal there should be to have your house make money for you instead of your property costing you money. That is where innovation and new technologies need to come into play.

Finally, we need to stop scapegoating the public employee and place the blame squarely where it belongs: our elected leaders. Term limits, campaign and election reforms are needed there. If the electorate "can't see the trees for the forest", we need leaders who will step out of the forest and advocate what is best for the country instead of leaders whose only concern is reelection and the cushy government pension and free health care they'll get if they can just stick around long enough. It needs to start here because if not here, where?
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 10:48am
TonyB, I concur with al your points well made. i respectfully agree to disagreewith your last point on the scapegoating of public servants. What has occurred is that segment has been in a position there has evolved a very close association between the office seekers and the unions (public servants). What is presently under attack is the cost of pensions, as we have 50 year olds retiring on 90% of salary, and enjoying it for 25-30 years. The financial burden in these conditions is just unsustainable. Hence, there is no deliberate scapegoating, there is a mandated need to face the economic facts projected over a relatively short period of time. Such projections indicate both state, municipalities, and of course, the country, will be immenient danger of the collapse of the system associated with overwhelming debt. When that occurs, it makes every community, state, and our country unstable and subject to greater harm than what could be caused by terrorism or a massive natural disaster akin to what hit Japan. The scapegoating some may call it, it an evaluation of financial reality on the horizon.

Good point on the house ownership TB. I guess for many that would love to get out of middletown, we are doomed to be held hostage, licking our wounds, while putting solar panel and other green means to minimize our expenditures as we can't get out of the quicksand.      
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 3:01pm
acclaro - I agree wholeheartedly that there is too close association between office seekers and unions. There is the same, too close association  between big business, big Pharma, big banks, etc. and office seekers. These financial burdens are being caused by special interest on both sides who put the interest of those who finance their campaign over the interest of the country. I do believe that public employees realize it can no longer be business as usual. At least I hope they do. I wonder if other special interests will get the message.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic