FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middie Basketball Coach Resigns

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middie Basketball Coach Resigns
    Posted: Mar 23 2011 at 4:22pm

Immediate Release   Middie Basketball Coach Resigns

Middletown City Schools athletic director Gary Lebo has announced the resignation of Middletown High School’s head basketball coach Bob Ronai after eight seasons. 

Ronai made the announcement to the Middie Basketball team after school today.

“Ronai’s sportsmanship, enthusiasm for the game and concern for his players will be missed,” said Middletown High School Principal Dennis Newell.

During Ronai’s seven seasons, his teams posted a 97-79 record, with the best record being an 18-5 mark during the 2010-11 season.

With 34 years of head coaching experience at both the college and high school level, Ronai promoted the importance of community service to his teams. According to Lebo, Middie men’s basketball participated in community volunteer activities like reading with elementary school students, and White-Out for Cancer, which raised $1,000 for the cause. 

“We certainly appreciate everything Bob has done for Middie Basketball, this school system and the community,” Lebo said. “We wish the best for Bob and his family.”

Debbie Alberico

Community Relations / Communication

1515 Girard Ave.

Middletown, OH 45044

513-217-2625

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2011 at 7:23pm
Interesting. Usually when a coach resigns, they always give a response like "I need to spend more time with my family" (Urban Myer) or I re-examined my priorities and I think this is the best move at this time in my life", or that they are taking a position that presented challenges too good to pass up" (Krause). Ronai said nothing to this effect. Wonder if he was asked to leave behind the scenes. Lebo didn't utter the classic slogan of an AD by saying "we wanted to take the program in a different direction". Always popular and very antiseptic. Will we get a coach who likes to run, play defense and out hustle to win or will we get a slow-em down, rebound well, shoot with accuracy similar to Paul Walker type basketball? Will be interesting to see what the new philosophy will be.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2011 at 7:34pm
Vet, Before you start the spinning wheel up, there is something you need to know. I know Bob pretty well and he keeps his private life pretty quite. He has a daughter in law that is fighting cancer. I think that he may be retiring to go and help his son with the grand kids. Thats just my opinion. If that is the case I fully understand and support his decision. My daughter in law has been fighting it for 5 years. It can change your focus on life.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2011 at 6:24am
Smartman, I fully empathize with Mr. Ronai's plight and with you and your daughter-in-law and the cancer. My wife had a stroke in 2009-lost the use of her left arm and leg-is wheelchair bound. Puts a tremendous strain on the family trying to work a full time job in Dayton and coming home to the other full time job as caregiver to a person with a debilitating condition. There is no relief and one must experience it to get the full brunt of the devastation it leaves. I know what you and Bob are going through, the difference being cancer as opposed to a massive stroke. Both wreak havoc on one's life and alters it forever. God Bless you and Bob.

No spin here. Just a cold hard reality check with life and no other choice but to live it with the cards we all are dealt. Sometimes life really sucks.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2011 at 7:19am
OK- just finished reading the Journal article about Ronai. As I suggested in my previous post.....

"Ronai, who admitted he had been considering not returning next season, said he was told by Athletic Director Gary Lebo Wednesday that the administration WANTED TO GO IN A DIFFERENT DIRECTION"

"Lebo had no comment when asked what direction the administration wanted to go in".

And, as Smartman alluded....

"There is no way I could have done the program the way I wanted with all the family commitments I have right now,” he continued.

Sounds like Ronai left because he had family commitments and because Lebo and company wanted him out (but couldn't give a PUBLIC response as to why they wanted him out) Typical.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2011 at 7:40am

Lebo had no comment when asked what direction the administration wanted to go in.

You’ll have to ask Bob about that,” Lebo said. “Bob has been extremely successful winning more than 70 percent of his games the last five seasons. We wish him all the best, but we’re going to move forward.”

say what???
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2011 at 9:05am
I heard yesterday that Coach Ronai was called in after classes by the principal(Mr.Newell) and the AD(Mr.Lebo) and given the opportunity to either rsign or be terminated. The phrase "We want to go in a different direction" was allegedly used. No surprise since a reason had to be provided.
A different direction?
Back to losing? Back to embarrassing? Back to a totally empty gym?
Hasn't coach Ronai recently won many coach of the year awards(including this year)?
What other predecessors recieved such accolades?

I have had Century Club seating directly behind the Middie bench for close to 30 years.
The coach prior was difficult to watch---the players(the few that actually went out for the team) were out of control and plain terrible.
Coach Ronai brought this program out of the garbage can, sticking with it after an initial 2-3 years of absolute misery. Little community support and virtually none from school admin. As he began to turn this program around, I honestly believe that our super Price resented his program improvement.

The Middies have gone from being a laughing stock to one of the most feared programs in the state.
This took time and much long-term effort. Look at our out-of state representation in tourneys against the top teams nationally. We have two out of three second place finishes, and recevied compliments about player conduct, demeanor and on-court performance. Didn't we just blow out previously un-defeated Cincy Moeller(#1 in the state from last summer until this 20-point defeat) and previously un-defeated #4 Lakota East just 3 days later? Did Middie Magic finally make a return during the packed-house Lakota East game with that 17-point 4th quarter comeback? Ask Jerry Lucas about what he witnessed that night. One of the greatest weeks in Middletown sports history and the highlight of the last 50 years.

These teams did with a brand of defense never seen b4 in the Wade E Miller Gym, by young men that couldn't spell "defense" prior to Coach Ronai. Were we more talented than Moeller or East?
No f'n way.
Just look back over the last 8 years of our talent pool.
While many players recieved accolades(and many more recieved scholarships), how many have gone on to on-court success at the next level? Please list those names for me.

Our state-recognized track program is allegendly in shambles(do we have a coach), our baseball teams stay at the back of the pack. Our womens' sports programs are embarrassing. Haven't heard much about soccer, golf or cross country lately.

Maybe it is the AD that should be next to go.

I know that a few BOE members occasionally read this forum. I hope that they get involved in this situation and guide us in the right direction, and do it in front to the public.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2011 at 9:39am
Spider- Outstanding overview of the situation and of Mr. Ronai's accomplishments. Perhaps it would be fair play to have Newell and Lebo report to the Superintendent's office and be told that we wanted to go a different direction in the AD area and at the high school in the principal's position. I remember Lebo as a trainer and lower echelon participant in the athletic department. Now that he has risen to the top of the athletic food chain at MHS, perhaps he should be remembering where he was at one time. If this is true, it is a terrible way to treat a coach that has brought this once-pathetic program back to recognition.

Need to correct this behavior super and school board. I would imagine this approach by Newell and Lebo is unacceptable to most.
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2011 at 12:40pm
I can't imagine that Newell and Lebo are empowered to make that kind of decision on their own, chances are someone above them on the totem pole knew about this before it happened.

It seems like we have a very "hands off" school board. This is not necessarily a bad thing, the opposite of too much meddling in day-to-day stuff would be even worse. But sometimes it seems like the hands off approach is to a fault. There's a difference between allowing the system to work without interruption from the board and refusing to step in when it is obvious that something needs done about a situation.

One doesn't have to look too far past Dr. Price to understand the concept. He was allowed to run this district into the ground, unchecked, for years before the board finally took some action. Thankfully they did, unfortunately it was just a few years too late and the damage done will take exponentially longer to undo. I would like to say that it appears the BOE learned their lesson from that debacle but when I see some of the other situations that are damaging to the education provided to our city's kids continue to linger year in and year out, I have to wonder if they've forgotten that lesson?
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 8:48pm
Congratulations to Josh Andrew for being selected to be the next Middie bball coach. From what I know and have seen/heard of him, he is an outstanding individual and a fine coach. Still--I see this possibly as a lateral move. I believe that we are 1-3 vs.Princeton over the last 3+ years vs.Mr.Andrew and Princeton. I always thought that they won not because of any coaching advantage, but because they simply had the talent edge.
Just this season, Princeton collapsed(after controlling the game until the last 4 minutes) late vs. Ronai's D pressure.

I really don't see this as the drastic direction shift brought on by the way this situation has been handled. From what I was told, the panel discussion was extremely heated and divided between the final 2 choices. I seriously ? Mr.Lebo's direction and intention with this choice.

Absolutely no slap at Josh Andrews. Seems to be an outstanding role model, coach, and most importantly a great mentor for the type of players going through our program(very similar to the Princeton make-up).

I don't think that many of you are close to the program other than smartman.
What do you have to say, Sam?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2011 at 6:46am
Ok, surprise, surprise! We have a conflict on the way the boys basketball coach was chosen. Today's Journal.....

"Middletown boys basketball coach selection process debated"

"those responsible for interviewing the three candidates last week and listing their strengths and weaknesses — are questioning the hiring process.

Don “Woody” Withrow, a member of the committee and of the school’s elite Gold Medal Club, said hiring Andrews was “rigged” because the decision was made before the interviews took place last week.

“It was not done the right way,” said Withrow, who noted he didn’t know Andrews was a candidate until he walked into the room".

"After the three candidates were interviewed last week in the school’s Media Center, Withrow said he wanted every committee member to rank the candidates. When Withrow voiced his opinion — Miller his top choice, followed by Cupps and Andrews — Lebo told him: “We’re not doing that,” according to Withrow".

"At least two other committee members, Ken Cohen, president of Cohen Brothers, and Lynn Darbyshire, have said Miller was their top choice, while others wanted Andrews"

HOW DARE THEY QUESTION KENNY COHEN (A MAINEVILLE RESIDENT), ONE OF THE MMF'ers AND ONE OF THE KINGPINS CALLING THE SHOTS IN THIS TOWN!

Here's the clincher.......

Following the interviews, Lebo said the committee listed the strengths and weaknesses of each candidate and he met with Superintendent Greg Rasmussen and MHS Principal Dennis Newell. The three decided to offer the job to Andrews, Lebo said.

NOW, IF NEWELL, LEBO AND RASMUSSEN MADE THE CALL ON WHO WAS HIRED, AND THE COACH THEY SELECTED WAS NOT THE FIRST CHOICE OF THE SELECTION COMMITTEE, WHAT WAS THE PURPOSE OF GOING THROUGH THE SELECTION COMMITTEE PROCESS FOR IN THE FIRST PLACE? KINDA OF AN EXERCISE IN FUTILITY WASN'T IT?

This whole thing, with the way Ronai was shown the door and the explanation given, and now, the selection by three people who were not on the selection committee just seems to have a sour smell to it doesn't it? Kinda secretive and behind the back in a way. Hey! Just like city hall operates!

One blogger, Butch Carter, a member of Middletown’s sports hall of fame and a former high school and NBA coach, fully supported Miller. The two of them coached together at the University of Dayton.

Carter called Miller “the best man for the job hands down.” Carter was critical of Lebo and the administration for not calling him for a reference on Miller.

“This was a process set up not to hire the best person, but to underachieve again. So instead of bringing value to the whole community, we again decided it would only be for a few!”

Read that last line again.....

SO INSTEAD OF BRINGING VALUE TO THE WHOLE COMMUNITY, WE AGAIN DECIDE IT WOULD ONLY BE FOR A FEW........

SOUND FAMILIAR WITH REGARD TO THE WAY THE WHOLE TOWN IS RUN?

Miller had the recommendations from Middletown legend Jerry Lucas, and college coaches John Calipari, Bob Huggins, Mick Cronin and Herb Sendek.

PRETTY PERSUASIVE GROUP OF PEOPLE LISTED HERE FOR MILLER"S RECOMMENDATION.

Since Lebo has become athletic director, there seems to be some incidences that have occured that warrant questioning his intentions toward directing Middletown's athletic programs. Is he just a puppet and doing what he is told to do for the inner circle controlling things here?
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2011 at 7:28am
Hey Vet--let me throw a curve ball into this.

I am comfortable with MHS admin's choice. From what I have heard, Mr.Andrew interviewed the best of the final 3.  Don't assume that the majority of the committee was strongly behind the Ky.coach.

Seems the real "rigging" process was done by Mr.Darbyshire, Mr.Withrow and Mr.Cohen, who pretty much guaranteed the guy the job if he applied and showed up for the interview. Well--the "local guy" got the nod and these "movers and shakers" did not get their way for once. And of course, they are outraged and crying about it now.

Mr.Withrow is a great person, deep into actively working within the program. Mr.Darbyshire and Mr.Cohen are also rock solid citizens and supportive of the community, though pretty much "meddlers" in the mix. Kinda like the MMF invading the hiring process. The "meddlers" wery instrumental in getting the last coach removed by their constant complaining and back-stabbing. From what I heard, Mr.Darbyshire initiated a physical confrontation after the interviews. Sore losers most definitely. Well--welcome to the club around here as to not getting their way. If they all exit the program, we will be fine. Their loss in the big picture.

I rarely back Mr.Lebo--but I stand behind him here. The final choice was up to the athletic dept., not Mr.Cohen or Mr.Darbyshire. The fact that they can't deal with not getting their way is comical and incredibly telling and appropriate. Today's front page article is just depressing.

The Ky.candidate took a job at Louisville Male the following day--he had applied for that job and was already offered and ready to accept. 

The decision was made--why go this direction now? What is there to gain? Are these "meddlers" really caring about the program, or more so about their incredible egos?
sportsnut View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sportsnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2011 at 7:57am
I sure hope the journal called Butch Carter to verify that he is indeed the one posting on Yappi.  Anyone(Darby, Cohen, Woody, etc) could execute an account under the name "butchc" on that website and post their thoughts on this hiring.

If it is Butch, was he in the interview room?  Does he know Coach Andrews?  Can he say for cetain that Coach Miller was the better choice or is he just going by the threesomes recommendation.

My understanding is the MAJORITY of the committee preferred Coach Andrews. 
sportsnut View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sportsnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2011 at 1:04pm
This is taken from another forum:

I TOO WAS A MEMBER OF THE SELECTION COMMITTEE AND I AGREE- THERE WERE MINDS MADE UP BEFORE THE MEETING-bUT THOSE WERE WOODY AND DARBYSHIRE!! THEY DID NOTHING DURING THE DISCUSSION PART OF THE MEETING BUT BELITTLE THE yOUTH AND rECORDS OF CUPPS/ANDREWS ALL THE wHILE CONSTANTLY READING THE NAMES OF MILLERS REFERENCES!! WHAT THEY DIDNT SAY WAS THAT THE TWO OF THEM CONTACTED ALL THOSE COACHES TO ASK FOR PERMISSION TO USE THEIR NAMES AS REFERENCES!! AND-WE WERE TOLD AT THE BEGINNING OF MEETING WE WERE NOT THERE TO RANK THE CANDIDATES-JUST TO GIVE PROS/CONS AFTER THE INTERVIEWS!! AND wHEN THE MEETING BROKE UP-6 PEOPLE FAVORED ANDREWS ONE WAS UNDECIDED AND 2-WOODY AND DARBY WERE ADAMANT FOR MILLER-THEY EVEN PHYSICALLY ACCOSTED 2 OTHER COMMITTEE MEMBERS IN THE LOBBY FOR NOT BACKING THEIR BOY MILLER! I HAVE A CALL IN TO JOURNAL WILL LOOK FORWARD TO GIVING THE OTHER SIDE OF THE STORY!! OH-AND A FRIEND OF MINE IS A COMPUTER TECH AND HE TRACED THE IP ADDRESS FOR THE ALLEGED BUTCH CARTER POSTS-THEY ORIGINATED HERE LOCALLY-SO UNLESS BUTCH HAS BEEN IN MIDDLETOWN SINCE LAST WEEK-THOSE POSTS ARE FROM AN IMPOSTOR!!!

Imagine the journal only telling one side of the story.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2011 at 10:20am
Looks like Mr.Ronai has taken full advantage of the MHS admin's decision to take the bball program in another direction. He has altready taken a position as AD at Toledo St.John, a very prestigeous school and traditionnaly strong program. Seems that his local accomplishment was favorably noticed elsewhere. All the best to him.  Didn't read about it in the MJ, did we? hmmm.......

So--we are left with the remnants of a very devisive selection process, and will once again be starting over. Looking at our talent levels at 2011-12 schedules, I can't see football or hoops matching the last few years' level of success.

Still we must unite behind new coaches Everhart and Andrew to make their transitions as smooth and successful as possible. Those unhappy with their selection and the process are more than free to move on. They have spouted the talk--now walk the walk. We will move forward.

Maybe Mr.McCrabb from the MJ will print a correction/clarification to his front page piece detailing the bball coaching committee process and the alleged quotes atrributed to specific individuals.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 6:46am
Weds, May 4th Journal..... Lebo's letter.....

As athletic director of Middletown High School, I would like to respond to the article in the Middletown Journal concerning the selection process for the new basketball coach.

The athletic department was fortunate to have received a great number of applicants for the men’s varsity basketball coach — all successful leaders and head coaches who excel in their current positions. Because of the excellent tradition, solid foundation of the current program at MHS, and the support of the community, we had several excellent candidates to consider for recommendation for the job.

As mentioned in the article, I was extremely pleased with the interview process and the input from the advisory committee. The committee members were individuals who have been loyal supporters of the Middies and have great passion for the success of our student-athletes. Each of them had strong opinions that were very helpful and I appreciate their enthusiasm and support.

I would like to publicly express my appreciation to all of the advisory committee members for their participation in the process of hiring the new coach. I truly believe that all the committee members were able to achieve a common goal to provide an effective leader and educator for the student-athletes in the Middletown City School District.

Gary Lebo

Athletic director

Middletown City Schools

THIS LETTER IS NOW A PUBLIC DOCUMENT

THIS LETTER DOES NOTHING TO ADDRESS THE REASONS NOR THE CONTROVERSY SURROUNDING THE SELECTION. IT IS A BUNCH OF PALABER THAT BASICALLY SAYS NOTHING AND WHITEWASHES THE ISSUE. IT IS TYPICAL NONSENSE FROM ANOTHER PUPPET THAT IS TOLD WHAT TO SAY BY A HIGHER AUTHORITY IMO. IT IS HORSECRAP.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 7:39am
Let it go, Vet
It's over--we now have 2 new coaches and new groups of student/athletes to support
It's not like you attend the games

Mr.Lebo is doing his job(do you want him arrested also?)
The procedure went as anticipated and as it always goes
Did I like how it all went down? No--but I was not involved
Can't help it if a few adults mucked up everything un-necessarily(glad that I wasn't associated)
They all feel very badly about it
Time to let it go--move on
We have other city issues that are far more important(as you well know)
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 10:09am
You are correct Spider. Was just making a comment on the purpose of Lebo's letter to the community. Would have (and did) let it go but Lebo wrote this letter for what purpose?

You are correct that I don't attend the B-Ball or football games. Would love to but have a wife that needs constant care and no family left to watch her as the son works in the evenings when the games are on.

Anyhow, it has been "let go".
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 10:23am
Vet---I don't know why Mr.Lebo wrote the letter now, it really served no purpose or broke new ground.
As much as  I disagreed about the initial decisions, I honestly think that Mr.Lebo made the best out of the conclusion and acted just as promised.
Not picking on you, and if you can ever get away for a game night, let me know. Join me as my guest.
I am sure that you would enjoy the evening.
It is inspiring to me to see how much you still care about the sports programs and the city as a whole.

As you well know--we have much bigger fish to fry(and they are frying in the pan as we post).
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 10:58am
Thanks Spider, would like to take you up on that invitation to watch a game. Perhaps when we get her Medicaid squared away, the Passport program offering my son and I some help at home might free me up to enjoy a game or two. Would be a nice diversion from both of us working a full time job and coming home to become care-givers for her. A boring yet busy life nowadays.

Yep, have always liked the games at Wade E. and Barnitz. Went to all the home games when Gordon, Place and Tressey were the coaches for football and Walker and Skeeter Payne were basketball. Did listen to them on WPFB before they stopped broadcasting them. Now listen to Java Johnnies coverage.

Will always care about the city Spider. Born and raised here. Family all buried here. Roots go deep here. Alot of nice memories here. Killing me to see what is happening to it now though. Absolutely killing me. With each building that is demolished, results in another void in the "good times memories" for me, as the town doesn't look the same as in better times. I know, I know, everything changes and stop living in the past. No time now to live in the past with my current situation. Just time to go to work and take care of my sick wife. However, when times get tough and I get down a little, I often think back to the good times and it helps ease the depression a little. That's all.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic