FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lenny Robinson and Grand-Standing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lenny Robinson and Grand-Standing?
    Posted: Oct 18 2010 at 7:31pm
At the September 8, 2010, Middletown Planning Commission meeting, developer Lenny Robinson stood before the Commission and said that he was formally withdrawing his petition to the city to vacate what will be the old Commerce Drive off SR 122 East of I-75. He said that it would be done in writing the following morning.

He mentioned he had a $4.5 million project lined up that would bring 80 jobs.

Look at what was included as part of the Council Workbook:

The date of the request is October 6, 2010.

I want to like Lenny. He is obviously a smart man. He has obviously made a lot of money. I don't always agree with him.

I am pleased the project is moving forward, but there does seem to be some grand-standing on his part.

Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 1:18am
Don't jump to conclusions and think this letter wasn't prompted by a verbal deal made with the city prior.

I don't mind if he grand stands. He's a property owner and the city wants to get in the real estate business in this area. He has every right to hold out and use any loophole he can find to get him the best return possible.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 10:15pm
Grandstanding???

Here we have a legitimate businessman standing in front of City Council talking about trying to bring EIGHTY NEW JOBS to our city, and what does our "business friendly" (Confused)  Mayor do???

He says: Your three minutes are UP!!!

WHAT the heck is wrong with these people??
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 4:16am

Mike
    I can’t believe that Larry Mulligan didn’t know what had happened at the Planning Meeting when Mr. Kohler stood up and made a total jackass out of the entire planning board concerning this matter. Maybe he needs to read the MiddletownUSA Blog.

I noticed that Judy stated that the City was going to appeal the court decision on our signage laws. (more money out the door)

Nelson...Himself View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson...Himself Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 5:07am
I will always remember the response of Les Landen to a question last night at City Council.

It was something to the effect........................."Miss Judy made me do it."

LOL     LOL     LOL     LOL     LOL     LOL     LOL     LOL

Lenny Robinson was superb in rightfully embarrassing The Queen of Middletown, etc.

I wonder if Les is roundly reprimanded today by Her Royal Majesty of One Donham Plaza?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 6:40am
If it be true, that Les is the twin of Oliver Hardy (you be the judge), then the appropriate phrase to this situation is:

"Well Lenny, this is another fine mess you've gotten me into"   

Ole' Les is trying to steal one from comedian Flip Wilson who used the line "the devil made me do it" years ago as Geraldine.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 8:01am
Landen and Kohler should both be summarily dishcharged!!!

(That's lawyer talk for "FIRED"!!!)
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 8:18am
No SWOhio, I don't see Mr.Robinson as grandstanding at all.
jmo
Nelson...Himself View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson...Himself Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 8:19am
Mike,

Thanks..for..attending..last..night's..City..Council..meeting.
We..appreciate..your..comments..about..non-resident..membership..on..City..boards,..etc.
ClapClapClapClap
Nick_Kidd View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 8:27am
This conduct goes on daily in our city building. When anyone on council tries to change the mindset in the city building, someone on council will always say "we don't want to micro-manage". Well council, if city employees are destoying our city, operating criminally or not in the best interest of our city, we expect our elected "leaders" to correct the problem. If council will not correct these problems, then they should be held personally responsible! Once again we see that council only gets the information that city employees want them to have. I also enjoyed seeing Judy decide that this conduct be hidden from the public by sending it to "executive session". How much corruption is hidden by "executive session?" The reasons for "executive session" should be narrowed to absolutely NECESSARY items not a catch-all for anything embarrassing or criminal. 
Government is not the answer to problems, government is the problem.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 10:35am
Isn't there a Council liason on the Planning Commission where this petition to vacate would have been mentioned? How can no one on Council be aware of this situation? I believe that the lawsuit was encouraged by our ED dept.  Legal dept.was obviously involved at the direction of the city manager. Seems someone should be reporting/updating these important situations with the rest of our govt.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 11:04am
If you review and evaluate the number of appeals the city (and Mr. Landon) have lost, many which are unconstitutional to begin, I would not be too worried about the successful outcome on appeal by LR. If he wins, city pays his attorney fees through 12 D appellate court, so money probably being wasted on this effort, although I have not reviewed the reasoning for the action. Many of the ordinances are unconstitutional and would not survive a challenge. Admiration goes to LR to have the nerve to step outside the network and push back on city when its wrong legally. LR is well known in community, but puts business before politics---Bravo, an exception to the norm who collapseand run to find cover.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 11:09am
Name Address Zip Code Term Expires
01 Amburgey, Chris 1109 Orchard Street 45044 2010
02 Brickey, Tom 539 Cedarwood Court 45042 2012*******
03 Dalton, Michael 1815 Londonderry Drive 45042 2012
04 Gross, Gary 4909 Shannon Way 45044 2012
05 Marconi, Tony 4521 Rosedale Road 45042 2012
06 Mejias-Yancey, Joanne 409 Regent Drive 45044 2011
07 Vacant     2011
Kohler, Marty One Donham Plaza 45042   
Scott Jones, Anita One Donham Plaza 45042

Taken from the city site under Planning Commission members as of 10/20/10
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 11:34am

Lenny mentioned the lawsuit in great detail at the September Planning Commission meeting.  I believe Council's rep to Planning Commission - Anita Scott Jones-- was in attendence. 

Lenny also mentioned the petition to vacate, but also said he was formally withdrawing that request.  See the reason for this post.
Anita Scott Jones View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anita Scott Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 12:57pm
Yes, I am the council representative for Planning.  the planning Commission met on September 8, 2010 and I was NOT in attendance.  I had a previous engagement.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 1:04pm
^^
My mistake.
Voice of Reason View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 10:46pm
I am curious about this one, can someone bring me up to speed about it?  I am, however, skeptical about the reality of bringing 80 jobs--what is the industry?  What exactly are the jobs?  How will the $4.5M be spent?  If he is vacating the land, is this just some sour grapes about having to leave? 

I will admit to being in the dark about it, so if anyone can fill in the background about it I would greatly appreciate it. 
"Ask not what your country can do for you..." JFK
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by Nelson...Himself Nelson...Himself wrote:

Mike,

Thanks..for..attending..last..night's..City..Council..meeting.

We..appreciate..your..comments..about..non-resident..membership..on..City..boards,..etc.

ClapClapClapClap

This coming from the guy that has constantly praised non-resident Walter Leap's participation in Middletown's Consolidated Planning Advisory Committee.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 10:56pm
After listening to Lenny's comments during public comment, I would agree that he isn't/wasn't grand-standing. He was able to explain in more detail his reason for the original request to withdraw the petition and why it was resubmitted.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic