FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Historic Ordinance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Historic Ordinance
    Posted: Sep 28 2010 at 11:04am
This taken forn the September, 13 2010 City Managers Report.

We have done some research on this topic and no one in the organization has any records of
anyone being fined or prosecuted for issues involving the historic ordinance in the approximate
30 years of its existence. Our intention in the future is to continue to work with citizens and
homeowners rather than to take enforcement action.

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2010 at 11:49am
The city really doesn't have to police historical area infractions do they? Isn't that the purpose of the S. Main and Highland Historical Societies, to enforce the rules for what you can do with your property if you live in those historical areas? Dam Neil, I asked a few more questions here didn't I? I doubt that the city will mettle in the affairs in these areas. With Mr. Kohler, Mulligan and other prominent citizens living there, the city won't pick on their own. Don't know about the rest of the "common folk" with rusty gutters, grass over 6 inches tall and paint peelin". We may all be in trouble.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2010 at 2:35pm
If a house is designated historical does that mean one can obtain funds for upkeep and or repairs ?

I could sure use about $500,000 to make my 100 year old house look officially historical.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2010 at 3:20pm
Didn't Mr. Kohler get some funds to refurbish his historic home on S. Main St? Thought that was a topic for discussion many months ago here and we questioned the use of this money from this fund.
Mtown View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2010 at 3:38pm
I think Dillman Foods got a loan from the City in the past as well. Someone should get a complete list of business and home rehab loans.
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2010 at 3:55pm

What does getting a business loan have to do with the Historic Ordinance.  Maybe we should check into Riordan, Manchester Inn, and many other business as well. 

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2010 at 4:02pm
correct mtown
back in 1998 Dillmans Inc. recieved a small business loan from a city program, to convert 1741 S.University Blvd. to a SAVEALOT location.

Loan was paid back as scheduled + interest. Nothing was forgiven over time.
No freebie whatsoever--no free land--no grant $$--no municipal planning or demo work
Business is stll operating and proftable.

Kinda like the deals offered to outoftowners with NO local history or performance requirements, especially the forgiven principal and extra funds to use at discretion.

How do I get a Pendleton type deal, or free Duncan land,demo or a land swap?
Not that I fault any of these entities for taking what is offered.

Do you really think that Pendleton or Duncan will be in operation 12 years later?
Even though they will own the property(unless they sell!)
Mtown View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2010 at 4:18pm
Bobbie

I agree getting a list of all loans would be a great idea
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2010 at 4:30pm
Nobody has argued on this site against the city loaning money to businesses. What has been argued are the tax paying give-aways to businesses be stopped. If you get a loan from the city, then you pay it back. I don't even mind no/low interest loans to city businesses, but this giving huge amounts of tax dollars to art centers and glass shops because they can't make it on their own is ridiculous. If they can make it on their own then that raises a whole other set of problems I have with these programs.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2010 at 5:10pm
Mtown - what is your problem with Dillmans and Spider John? I dont hear you saying anything about Beauverre Riordan stained Glass Studios, the received a loan from the city and tax payer, and as far as I know they have not paid back one dime of it. why aren't you saying anything about that?
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2010 at 7:56pm
Under the new historical ordinance if the city declares an area or any particular house or building as being historical then that means funds can be had am I right or wrong ?

So if I get council to declare my 100 year old house to be of historical value then I can get money,right or wrong ?
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
SupportMiddletown View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2010 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by Hermes Hermes wrote:

Under the new historical ordinance if the city declares an area or any particular house or building as being historical then that means funds can be had am I right or wrong ?

So if I get council to declare my 100 year old house to be of historical value then I can get money,right or wrong ?

I've never seen anything like that.
Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2010 at 4:17am
But I do believe the hypocritical Commission on Landmarks and Historic structures put the stop to progress such as preventing the installation of colocated cell repeaters atop the old Middletown Regional Hospital and atop an existing radio tower next to the water tower at Dorset and Sherman.

If the old MRH was too "historic" for a cell tower, then why was that building allowed to be demolished without resistance?

And what was so historic about the radio tower next to the water tower at Dorset and Sherman?
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2010 at 9:36am
While there were no cell antennas located atop the old MRH building that I was aware of, there were some located on the old round powerhouse stack. These were replaced by the monstrosity located beside the Hilltop doctor's office.
I would have no clue about what is historic about the Kensington tower site. I do recall some of the area residents protesting the installation of a tower at that location.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2010 at 9:53am
Hey mtown--u r dealing with spiderjohn here--what is your fixation with Steve Dillman and Dillman Foods?
Seems you are trying discredit them as a smokescreen to cover your lack of data on the costs of the never-ending land swaps in the area along Central/Charles/Manchester..

Mr.Dillman sez that he will gladly compare the history of his company with the local contributions of Beau Verre, PAC and Duncan Oil. Maybe we could compare business histories, local contributions to various entities, community service and hiring/employment #s.

Just how many locals does Beau Verre employ?
How many will Pendleton employ and when?
Same with Duncan?
How much has each entity mentioned above been subsidized by taxpayer $$?
From whom was that $$ necessary to even get a start-up?

Mr.Dillman is proud of his long history of serving this community, and has given entry-level jobs to many of the finest youth in this city during his 84 continuous years of local business. His long-term donations have touched virtually every organization, including the AEIF with the LEAP program, and even the Arts Central group. He and his family have served and continue to serve on local boards.commissions and committees, and can't remember one instance where any of them have ever been compensated for their efforts.

And he would like for everyone to please scroll up to the top of this message board. Click on his logo to see sale advertisements for the Central Ave.location and both Savealots!

So--what is your REAL issue?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2010 at 11:54am
409-that Kensington water tower site has been there since the 50's. All of us kids in the Grand Ave. Euclid St. Kensington St. area, in the 60's, use to play football on top of that site because of the size and the flatness there. This was before Dorset was cut through and houses developed and Boehnies Greenhouse sat where Dorset and Grand meet. Never was a historic site as far as I know.
Mtown View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2010 at 1:45pm
spiderjohn

Don't throw stones if you live in a GLASS HOUSE!
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2010 at 2:42pm
So--what exactly are the historical societies, committees and districts doing these days?
Council just passed legislation to give them more power/authority, while they aren't using existing regulations.

Just wondering..........
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2010 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

409-that Kensington water tower site has been there since the 50's. All of us kids in the Grand Ave. Euclid St. Kensington St. area, in the 60's, use to play football on top of that site because of the size and the flatness there. This was before Dorset was cut through and houses developed and Boehnies Greenhouse sat where Dorset and Grand meet. Never was a historic site as far as I know.
Roger that! We used to cut through the woods to get to Wilson Elementary before Sherman & Dorset were cut through.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2010 at 3:33am
Originally posted by 409 409 wrote:

While there were no cell antennas located atop the old MRH building that I was aware of, there were some located on the old round powerhouse stack. These were replaced by the monstrosity located beside the Hilltop doctor's office.
I would have no clue about what is historic about the Kensington tower site. I do recall some of the area residents protesting the installation of a tower at that location.
409:
Mr. Saunders is accurate.  The Historic Commission DID put the kybosh on Verizon's attempts to install colocation equipment both on top of the old MRH and on an existing city radio tower located at the Kensington (Dorset & Sherman) water tower.

I do not know why they (the historic commission) stuck their noses into this, other than that they could due to their overwhelming scope and power (and this was BEFORE the new ordinance) but they did, and they insisted that such equipment was inappropriate with the historic nature of the areas.

I wrote in protest extensively either here, or on the old Journal blogs.  (I can't recall which.)
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2010 at 9:30am
Mike.....I did not mean to imply Mr. Saunders was incorrect. I was simply saying there were antennas on the old taller powerhouse stack.

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2010 at 10:13am
this dark side puppet troll mtown is obviously trying to bait me into something, or discredit my opinions and personal business interests. While this concerns me from a business perspective, it does not bother me at all as far as voicing my opinions on community issues.

I also see this as an orchestrated attempt to intimidate others speaking out here, who might be very concerned about reprisals against their professional situations(very real and understandable).

Desperation has taken over with the dark side leaders, using their shills and puppets to do their dirty work.
Since they have no real constructive comments or #s to support their wasteful actions, they now make a very ?able move by using screen name exposure and personal credibilty assumptions.

I am who and what I am. No secrets here. Wide open.
I stand by my thinking, and very much appreciate having an un-censored forum where EVERYONE can express their point of view.

Where will it go from here?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2010 at 11:29am
So....Spider.....do you think we finally touched a nerve with the good people down at city hall? Think we offended the members of the MMF organization with our endless criticism and supporting documentation to reveal their innermost secrets? Do you think a sizable number of people in this town are now thinking like we do and are on our side- and they sense that?

NOW is it time to clean out the council, replace 'em and start firing the people in the city building? Have we all had enough?

I can picture it now....the angry mob marching on city hall with pitchforks and fire just like in Young Frankenstein.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2010 at 3:17pm

Vet
OOOOO….I’ve got 2 pitchforks and a box of matches and I'm ready to march Thumbs%20Up

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2010 at 3:34pm
Vet--of course Council/Admin and their puppertmasters are concerned about what is happening.
Shouldn't everyone be concerned?
The bunker crew is headed for a major crash in the next two years when labor contracts must be decided, and the public safety levy comes to an end. The $ #s don't add up well, kinda like personal finances into the future. It all falls back on Council, since everything needs their approval.

The huge land purchases/swaps, demolitions and future tear-downs, and $$ giveaways will look very generous and un-necessary when the day of reckoning arrives. Look for more un-mandated/hidden taxes like the water bill increase. "They" know that they can't succeed at the ballot box, so they must find ways to increase revenue.

So--if Kasich is elected governor(I really don't care for him) and kills the rail project, what will happen to the former train station Whistle Stop now that it stands alone on a 6-lane highway surrounded by nothing? What purpose could it serve, and is it really historic? Far better has come down for far less usage space. Doesn't the Duncan station/convenience store seem oddly and dangerously placed at the Central/1st Ave. convergence point adjacent to active railroad tracks and a major intersection? Entrance/exit will be very dicey, particularly during peak volume traffic times. Seems entrances only going east from Firts Ave, and west from Central(though could cause major back-up approximate to the traffic lights). Access from Charles would be difficult. Wouldn't the old Office Outfitter site have been the safest and best option(as planned and for a lot less taxpayer expense)?

jmo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic