Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, May 2, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Lets Clear up a few facts about tonights meeting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lets Clear up a few facts about tonights meeting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lets Clear up a few facts about tonights meeting
    Posted: Apr 20 2010 at 11:35pm

Pac,

Thanks for the link!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2010 at 7:11am
To watch the meeting online:

wannaknow View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannaknow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2010 at 7:47pm
Sorry Wasteful, when I said the community I meant the other towns. Why should Middletown take so many applications. Each town or county should take care of their own. Back in the day, when families were close, the family took care of their own. Too bad we don't bond like that anymore.  I probably should just keep my opinions to myself.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2010 at 11:11am
There are three basic questions evolving from this conversation:

1.) Is there too much Section 8 housing?
That's a more philosophical discussion that will likely continue for a long time coming

2.) Does Middletown have too many Section 8 vouchers in proportion to the rest of Butler County and should something be done about it
Yes and Yes

3.) Are certain Section 8 landlords protecting their self-interests in advocating for no changes to the program
I have my own opinion, and I am sure you do too.  But only these landlords know their true intentions.

I am also tired to hearing how Middletown has too much old housing.  No.  It has too much old housing that has not been maintained.  And Section 9 programs are not the means to deal with making sure old homes are maintained.

Here is a good example of an older home that appears to have been recently remodeled in an established neighborhood  This home is 106 years old.  An investor purchased it for $7,000, made improvements had has listed it for a reasonable price.  I wish there were more examples of this:

http://sibcycline.com/viewlisting.asp?mls=1218018&b=CIN&p=RESI&s=SFRD&m=1&sender=SearchResults&a=2415-Sherman-Ave-Middletown-South-OH-45044

wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2010 at 8:59am
Bobbie it is not CONSOC or the City that makes it Rocket Science it is HUD according to the city.  But you also have to understand with CONSOC the more vouchers they hand out each month the more money they make, so for them cutting vouchers is a financial loss, no incentive for them to see any vouchers not in use.

HUD according to the city says you can't just hand over part of your vouchers, you must show some type of hardship on the city by having so many vouchers if I understand it correctly.

I am with you someone turns in a voucher do not re-issue it.  Shut down the waiting list and start cutting.  It is not a matter of who deserves what when it comes to Section 8.   It is a matter of this City as a whole and its residents deserve better that what we are getting from our Government.

wannaknow I am not sure what you mean by this comment, "The financial burden should be equally divided among the entire community."  As far as I can see Middletown is doing far more than it's share and I agree that the leadership is to blame for this, but so are the residents.  Middletown has become a community that does not tackle it's problems head on.  TV Middletown is a prime example of this.  TV Middletown deals with information which is just about exclusively about Charities, minorities, United Way, Salvation Army, Hope House, the Schools , the Library, Middletown Community Foundation, etc. etc. etc. etc.   TV Middletown does not deal with the any issue that is a problem in Middletown, unless it is a powder puff issue.  Most citizens sit with their heads in the sand and the City chugs along sinking farther and farther into oblivion.

Children will not go hungry and their are agencies to see to this.  As far as the vacate houses, Middletown claims to have 2000 that need to go.  So lets hire a crew of 3 or 4 as has been stated on here before and start tearing these houses down.   A crew that works 8 hrs a day 5 days a week and does nothing but rid the City of these blighted properties.  If you are paying $7-10k a house now to knock them down after 20-25 houses you have paid for a crew of 3 to 4 to work for for a year. 
wannaknow View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannaknow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2010 at 6:03am
I have a good friend who recently was approved for section 8 for the house she has rented for several years. She is retired, in bad health and unable to work. Just recently she took custody of her grandchildren because they were living at Hope house or on the street. I don't know what she would have done if she had not been offered this assistance. If she had not taken the kids they would have ended up in children's services, another "financial drain" to the system. 
So, who do you blame? Her for not having a better education 30 years ago? Her children for having children they can't afford to feed and clothe? Where do we start to fix this and other situations like this? We can't deny help to people when they are just trying to survive. We can't let children live on the street because their parents made bad decisions. Section 8 is not a solution. There will always be people that need help and hopefully there will always be people to help them. If we don't help the children now, and I mean with more than housing, what will the future hold for all of us.
The property owners are providing a much needed service to the community. I live in Ward 1 ghetto so I know what happens to vacant houses . .  crack heads move in. In my opinion it would be much better to have a family in that house. Property owners are guaranteed monthly income and should be held accountable for the condition of the house but more importantly for the type of people they allow to live there.
The real problem with section 8 is the blood suckers who see the dollar signs and forget about the people. We have some property owners that have a slum house and get 10 times what it's worth because they can. We have some greedy beaurocrat (sp) sitting in an office making a salary $100,000+ per year complaining that a single parent making $10 an hour "won't" take care of their own financial needs. This city spends a lot of money for an outside source to govern section 8. A lot of people have made a lot of money and none of those people were the ones that needed it. I see the posts where everyone is caught up with determining if the inspections were done correctly, who does the inspections, is the paperwork correct, is the house a slum, is the landlord really a slumlord? This isn't the problem. You have to start farther back; educate the children now so the future can be different. It is a drain on the city but can we not provide housing to people living on the street? Can we deny food to a child because their parent is negligent? Humanity doesn't have a dollar sign.
I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and say there has to be changes made with our city government. The financial burden should be equally divided among the entire community. We need to find a solution not a band-aid. Too many people are putting government money in their pocket or using it for other things. I'm not sure that they want to stop the money train. Bitching about it on this website will not accomplish much. We all know that we need to make changes and voting is the only way that will happen. Should we go door knocking to inspire our complacent neighbors  to vote differently?  I have rambled on enough. I think there are others like me that want to do something but lack direction. It is frightening to see Middletown go downhill so quickly.
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2010 at 1:09pm
Wasteful - read all of my posts before you make comments to me.  I stated in earlier posts there are ways to lower this amount , the city and CONSOC make it like it should be brain surgery.  I understand balance more then you think - I understand it alot with the value of my home being less then what I purchased it for.  Section 8 was meant to get people on their feet - it is grossly abused by many.  What I say is get the abusers out of the system, I really think we would be in a lot better shape in this town if we did so.

Section 8 - I don't know you - I posted about 2 individuals that I know.  It would wrong for me to say if you deserve the benefit or not - since I don't know you.  I do know of some people on section 8 that claim to be disabled - yet they work under the table to make extra money.  Does it seem fair that I or anyone else on this forum should be paying for their house.  Section 8 is there to help when in need - not to live on it the rest of your life. By the way - I am also a single parent, I work 2 jobs to pay my bills.
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2010 at 12:35pm
"My issue was not with you Wasteful, but we can it with you if you want."  It seems you have made it that way with your silly threats as if I am to start shaking in my boots from your senseless drivel that spews forth from your keyboard.Wink
section8 View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote section8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2010 at 12:28pm
Wasteful, Tell me are you a coincided person? Is every post made on this directed to you? Gosh you are special. I guess, I guess we should just name who we are talking about so Mr. Wasteful knows the word does not revolve around him.
Secton 8 Rocks...and you know it
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2010 at 12:13pm
Section8 states, " now you are attacking the landlords."  Please show me any post in this topic where I have attacked a Landlord.

I knew we could count on more  informative and colorful posts from you. LOL
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2010 at 11:59am
Bobbie why do you and so many in Middletown have a hard time understanding having a "Balance".  Is it solely Middletown's job to take care of Butler Counties Poor and indigent....NO, but according to many of you it is.  Middletown can not afford the financial drain on its limited resources while the rest of the county basically turns a blind eye to the issue.

Middletown is stuck in this situation because of poor leadership and an overabundance of Cheap, Old housing.

Why do you feel it is Middletown's job to shoulder 1662 vouchers while other than Hamilton the rest of the county has basically none to very little?

Why must Middletown continue to suffer financially and economically? 

No one benefits from a imbalance of Poverty and excessive section 8.  It is not a matter of not helping it is a matter of knowing the limits a city can financially and economically handle and Middletown has exceeded those limits now we all suffer for it.
section8 View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote section8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2010 at 11:49am
Bobbie, so in your eyes the only people that deserve Section 8 are Vets? Is that your stance? Please tell me,  so I can tell you just how big of a moron/ jack ass  you are.
section8 View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote section8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2010 at 11:47am
Wasteful,  "Whether you want to admit it or not, excessive Section 8 for whatever reason is not good for any community as has been stated on here many times by others."

See once again you read what you want, I never said that too much section 8 wasn't a problem. But is it the person on section 8's fault or the city in which allows this much? We both know its the city's fault, so why not go beat up on them instead of the persons on the program. I know...the big bad city wont listen.

My point is stop blaming those on the program and start blaming the ones that made it this way. As for my job and education, I too have a high school education along with some college ( a small amount), but hey guess what, there are no jobs to be found. And I do make decent money but when you do it alone, decent money doesn't cut it. The "OTHERS" you speak of have done nothing more than talk poorly about those living on the program and now you are attacking the landlords.

My god why not march down to city hall and tell those in charge how you feel ? Is it because that would require too much effort? My issue was not with you Wasteful, but we can it with you if you want.

All I was saying was to take your angry out on the right people.
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2010 at 11:44am
Can I refuse to rent to an individual?

You have the right to select the tenant you want for your unit using whatever criteria you determine. However, you must not discriminate against an individual because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, familial status, or disability. In some jurisdictions, you cannot refuse to rent to someone just because he or she has Section 8 (called course of income).
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2010 at 11:44am
"Too many poor people in the area are a drag on society. "

Yep, what's wrong with that comment?  It seems pretty self-evident.  I should have said a "financial drag" (though frankly the problem is a general "drag" as well!)

Not saying they shouldn't be helped and the people you mentioned are deserving of help.  Two problems:  who qualifies as deserving and how much should they be helped.  I would guess most of the S8 recipients are not in a similar situation as your examples.  And the level of help is another issue.  Why are people getting vouchers for $800-1000 a month for rental assistance?  This amount is so high that it is surprising the renter has to come up with additional money on top of it.  When you only have to pay $100/month out of your own pocket I can see it fostering complacency in some people.  And why can't folks find a $500 apartment?  Why should every person be able to get into a house?  Is it now part of the Bill of Rights that any person, regardless of effort, is entitled to live in a house?

It is often said that elections have consequences.  Well, not paying attention in school, not trying to improve your skillset, not having 3 kids by the age of 22, all should have consequences too.  We have a whole generation of people now who feel a total disconnect between their choices and their lifestyle.  If they can get a medical card, a S8 house, heck thrown in a disability claim, then they've made it.  As the Jeffersons said "well, we movin on up!"
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2010 at 11:24am
Its my understanding that if a property owner wants to rent his or her property and an individual with a Section 8 voucher approaches that property owner about renting and can "make" rent so to speak either with the voucher alone or a combination of voucher and income, the property owner cannot turn them down because they don't want to rent to Section.
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2010 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Bill Bill wrote:

"Section8", it is not that YOU specifically are a burden...but we don't want 5,000 of you in town.  Too many low or no income people mean little to no money for this town to provide services.  Too many poor in an area are a drag on society -- sucking more services out of tax dollars than they contribute.

It's about balance.  And if you want all of us taxpayers to leave, how do you think this town can afford the fire runs, police service, water, sewer, etc. than are required?? 

Well Bill sorry you have issues with what I say - you come across to me as someone with more money then brains.  Too many poor people in the area are a drag on society. 

When I say some people that deserve it, I am speaking of a veteran that I know that does not have enough money to survive without assistance.  He also contributes to Middletown in other ways then taxes.  I have personally sat down and talked with another recipeint - she also works with the city and a does some volunteer work in the community to the abiltity that she can.  See her health keeps her from  working full time. 

Do these people deserve help - or should we just throw them out on streets?  Bill it sounds like you would rather put these people on an island of their own like they are some kind of lepar.

wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2010 at 11:01am

As a landlord don't you and your property have to be registered with CONSOC or the MPHA?

Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2010 at 10:57am
as I think Vet pointed out, while Sec8 is part of the problem it's more like a spoke in the wheel of Middletown.  The issue is getting in more people who can be homeowners and take care of properties, pay taxes, etc.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2010 at 10:49am
Keep in mind that all those properties listed above may or may not be currently rented to Section 8 tenants.  A property is only classified as Section 8 when there is a Section 8 tenant living there.

In reality, there isn't such a thing as Section 8 property. 
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2010 at 10:41am
Section8 maybe you should go back and read and try to comprehend what you read before you say, " to all of you I am just a burden on your great Middletown. Well you what....kiss my section 8 ass."

No doubt some want Section 8 gone from the city, but many have also recommended a reduction of section 8 vouchers to a reasonable level with the balance of the vouchers going to Warren and Butler Counties, but of course you don't recognize those statements, with your despicable comments.

Whether you want to admit it or not, excessive Section 8 for whatever reason is not good for any community as has been stated on here many times by others.

The fact you have a crappy job for crappy wages is your problem not ours, get some training in something and get a better job.  Please don't' say I can't I have children, etc.  I have kids too and I also only have a high school education and I don't have a crappy job, for crappy wages.

It was such a pleasure reading your lovely first post on this board, I am sure more of the same is to come.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2010 at 10:40am
Bobbie, I have an issue with your thought "I have no problem helping out those that deserve it."  What does deserve mean?  Only in this country does someone who makes $8/hour and has 3 kids end up being entitled to live in their own house, with our tax dollards.  What happened to apartments?  Why do those "in need" deserve a home with 1500 sq feet, a yard, and picket fence? 
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2010 at 10:35am
"Section8", it is not that YOU specifically are a burden...but we don't want 5,000 of you in town.  Too many low or no income people mean little to no money for this town to provide services.  Too many poor in an area are a drag on society -- sucking more services out of tax dollars than they contribute.

It's about balance.  And if you want all of us taxpayers to leave, how do you think this town can afford the fire runs, police service, water, sewer, etc. than are required?? 
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2010 at 10:32am
Wasteful - I did not mean it to come across that in a negative manner.  What I was saying is there is no way to get rid of the program all together.  I have no problem helping out those that deserve it.  However the ones that do not should be kicked off. 
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2010 at 10:13am
Integrity Property Holdings LLC

Neil Warner 9511 Short Line Ct
W Chester Ohio 45069 18-FEB-10 Active
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic