FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What can we do?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2010 at 2:39pm
Section 8 didn't destroy Middletown, it is just a symptom of the larger issue. What killed Middletown? The same thing that almost destroyed the Economy! That is unrestrained Capitalism and the Free Market!

Not to say that they are bad things, not at all. However, uncontrolled, they are bad. Our culture is seeing the result.

I remember People crying "Wolf" (that's what I thought) about unrestrained Development and I agreed with the Conventional Wisdom, that they were Idiots. Now, in hind sight, they were not entirely wrong. It is the same all over the Country, Cities dying while the Suburbs are all bright, shiny, and new.

Some commonsense should have been used to administrate some reasonable Limits to Development.

Look right here in Butler County, we have massive Development outside of Hamilton and Middletown, while the old Cities themselves are rotting. What if we had been a little more conservative in approving all the Development. Would the Cities still be as bad as they are now? A lot of this Board will say Yes, because "the scum would have still been here", referring to the Low Income People. But the truth is that easy.  How much Cash was made with all this Development and where is it now? It certainly is not in our Cities! The only Cash there now is HUD money. What did we gain by going for the quick Buck at the expense of the Cities? We probably will spend just as much in Subsidies and HUD cash to keep the Cities from becoming Ghettos as we gained by OKing all the development for the money it made us then.

No easy answer to your question. It ceratinly can't all be the fault of Section 8 People or even the Artys Folks now on the Scene.  
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2010 at 12:55pm

Like many of you I was born here and have spent the majority of my life here. It’s sad to see this city go the way it has gone and continues to go.  I remember when I was younger going to see my dad over at Miami Packaging (were we worked and retired form) and the area was full of cars and the downtown was nice. I remember when we lived over on Wilbraham road behind what was Mom’s Minute Market, and the neighborhood was middle class and really very nice.

I drive these streets a lot every day, there is not one part of this town I have not been in. All the good and decent neighborhoods from back then are gone, replaced with low income and section 8. I, unlike most don’t have the (what’s the word) distain for section 8 as some do. I do believe with out a doubt that we have way too much. And I have seen no plan to reduce it, as of yet. But what bothers me is the condition of the neighborhoods and the streets in our town. I personal wouldn’t care if 10,000 people were on section 8 if they keep good up keep on the property and were doing what they could to better themselves.

But, we all know that this is not the case, most in the program see it as a free ride. And why shouldn’t they? That’s what our city has turned it in to.

I along with all of you have paid taxes in this city since I was old enough to work (16) and what do we get for our troubles….to drive on broken streets past boarded up buildings and watch businesses flee daily.

I ask you all what can we do about it? What we have been doing has not worked, no one is listening and if they are they don’t care. It’s time for a new approach to changing our city.

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic