Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Friday, April 26, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - City Buys Old Studio Theatre - Plans To Demolish
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

City Buys Old Studio Theatre - Plans To Demolish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Rail Fan View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rail Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: City Buys Old Studio Theatre - Plans To Demolish
    Posted: Oct 01 2009 at 1:11pm
The old Studio Theatre has been sold to the City of Middletown for $1.00.  Next, the City will tear it down using HUD Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP) funds.  This property needed a lot of repair work; the roof was really bad.  Many older Middletonians used to go there in years gone bye.

NRS
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2009 at 1:23pm
Need to buy up some more of those properties like that and let the old wrecking ball loose on them.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2009 at 1:52pm
The  three/four story building next to the studio that caught fire several years ago has also been acquired by the city and is expected to come down as well.

Hate to see The Studio go.  I had heard that a church was looking to purchase and renovated for use.

Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2009 at 2:18pm
It will definitely take away from the historical feel for sure. Hate to see it go.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Rail Fan View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rail Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2009 at 5:04pm
SW Ohio 75 -

A close friend and highly regarded local real estate professional informed me today of this development.  It's his understanding that the cost of demolition of the theatre and adjoining building will exceed $100,000 in HUD "residential foreclosure prevention" funds.  The theatre is known to have considerable asbestos that needs to be abated.

What other downtown or historic properties may be acquired with these "residential foreclosure prevention" funds?  Could a noteworthy S. Main Street property be next (not for demolition)??
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2009 at 5:25pm
Is that $100,000 part of the same fund that needs to be spent (CDBG) within the 5 year limit ? If it is then we know why it wasn't spent before now.

Wonder how long the deal on the theater has been in the works ? Has anyone heard anything about the city doing this before now ?
Rail Fan View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rail Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2009 at 5:30pm
The source of the demolition funds is the HUD Neighborhood Stabilization Program - Round One grant of $2.144 million.  HUD allows grant recipients like the City of Middleton a total of 18 months to spend or contracturally commit these funds.  Downtown property demolition was not mentioned by Ginger Smith's consultant or her when presenting the program details to the City Council last November and again in January 2009.  This is supposed to be a "residential foreclosure prevention" program!
Rail Fan View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rail Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2009 at 5:34pm
At a couple of Planning Department meetings that I attended, Marty K. noted that the Old Studio Theatre was one downtown building that was under consideration for acquisition and demolition.  Reportedly, this property did not sell on the open market because of significant rehabilitation and asbestos abatement costs that dampened prospective buyers interest.
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2009 at 8:30pm
I think I am going to start a new Demolition Company, there should be lots of work in Middletown
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 5:09am

Isiner
That is an interesting thought.

What firms are doing the demolition for the City?
Are these jobs going to open bid or are they for the favored few contractors?
What happens to all the interior materials in these buildings before demo such as doors, woodwork, fireplace mantels, light fixtures, stain glass windows...?
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 6:26am
I am shocked...SHOCKED, I tell you!!!  The Studio, formerly the "Strand Theater", is certainly one of the more HISTORIC buildings in DOWNTOWN, if not in the ENTIRE town!!!

Where is the Historic Society on this???
Where is the Commission for Landmarks and Historic Structures???
Where is PRISM???
Where is the Highlands Historic group???
Where is Sammie???
Where is Kohler???
Where are all of the past officers of the Historic Society???
Where is Mayor Lawrence P. Mulligan, Jr.???

Haven't ANY of them heard about this yet???

Can't SOMEONE rush over there and plant some FLOWERS, for goodness sakes???  Surely THAT would save this "treasured jewel" of our city!!!

If I offer $50,000.00 or so for someone to build a $10 model canal boat in the lobby, would THAT change things??? Tongue
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 6:55am
Ahh yes, the Studio. Last time I was in there was 1968. Was one of the stops on Prom weekend along with LeSourdsville Lake back then. The whole event was called "Prom Jubilee" I believe. (For all you older Middie graduates) Sad. Slowly but surely, they are knocking down all the happy old memories from the 60's for me and leaving empty lots in their places. Progress marches on!

Mike/swohio75- I remember the Studio being the Strand and the current Sorg Opera House being the Colonial. Don't forget the Paramount Theatre on Broad around the area where the stage for the Broad St Bash is now. By the way, while we're strolling down memory lane, do you remember a restaurant called Godwin's on Broad across the street from the Paramount? How about you Spiderjohn?

Railfan- if you are suggesting that the money being used is not for building demolition ie- being used illegally, is there a contact to report this?

Good point by Irisner and Vivian- wonder how many quotes they did get for this work and did they keep it "in the family" when they bid the job out? Since Marconi is in the construction business, would he have ties that would link him to some of this demolition work and, if so, wouldn't that raise some questions about his involvement as to the choices for these services? Just asking. (Kinda like the questions that floated around when Perry Thatcher was on Council and what his involvement was in the wheeling and dealing of properties around town.) And where to put the material from the demolition, asbestos and all-- hmm- how about using it to fill in the now defunct Lake Middletown? Never know- filling in that muddy hole may help knock down that mosquito population so that we can enjoy Ms. Mort's Bicentenial Commons stage area, read the bricks and "frolick like giddy school kids" around the archway.   
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 8:48am
Vet....remember it well.....it was commonly referred to as Mother Godwins bar & restaurant.
Also remember the old fire station on Broad St. next to the alley.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 9:17am
Almost every town at least tries to save their old theater's. If nothing else gut'em and save the facade for the historical value. But apparently there are major plans for that lot ?

They did a good job keeping it quiet if it's been on the demolition list for a while.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 11:57am

The original list price of the Studio was $150,000.   The last several months of the listing it was $50,000.  Owned by the Finkelman family.  I can’t believe they gave it up that easily.  Unless they had no other choice because the city condemned the property.  The city has long been trying to demolish the building next door since it caught on fire several years ago due to safety concerns.  My guess is now that the city has control of that property, they were able to cheaply acquire the Studio, and it will be less expensive to bring the buildings down as a pair rather than individually.

If you thought downtown looked like a bombed out zone, the demolition of these two structures will leave a big hole in a this part of our downtown area.

In the 1970’s the city used federal money to acquire and demolish many decaying structures in the core downtown area (Main, Central, Broad) to make way for redevelopment—which was supposed to occur in conjunction with City Centre, Many of these structures had significant historic value due to the age.  Some redevelopment did occur and some did not.  Hence the “South Parking lot”  In some instances we got large concrete monstrosities like the Swallen’s building and parking structure—both of which the city would like to see torn down. 

Point is, we do have a lot of “holes” along downtown where structures were torn down with hopes of redevelopment without any real redevelopment plan in place.  I can’t imagine the city having developer and or plan in place for this block once it comes down.

As a side note, I also hear the city is very interested in acquiring the old John Ross/Mabley & Carew/ARMCO building at the corner of Central and Broad across from Governor’s Square to tear down and expand Governor’s Square because they are running out of run for events held there.  You know this building.  It had the black granite storefront in the old mall.  It’s the building where the current owners wanted the city to remove that very granite, clean and restore it, and the use it as part of the replacement design of the storefront once the mall was gone at the taxpayer expense.  These owners, that moved their traveling nurse company from Miamisburg to downtown Middletown with the promise of bringing 50 or so jobs.  This is the company that never fulfilled on their promise and let the building go into foreclosure (which is how the city is planning on acquiring it).   But they did try to sell it.  Remember the initial asking price of around $800k?   I think it was eventually lowered to around $300k, but never sold.  The listing is not active from what I can tell.  From what I’ve heard, it is completely mold-infested.

swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2009 at 10:00am
Interesting.  I took another look at the two new downtown concept plans developed by Woolpert earlier this year.  A very close look at Central Avenue near where the Studio building is is shown as green--meaning park/open space. 

Perhaps that is their redevelopment idea for this spot. 
Nelson R. Self View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2009 at 10:35am
It seems that the City of Middletown may have uncovered some unique loophole to use HUD Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP) funds for downtown urban renewal rather than RESIDENTIAL FORECLOSURE PREVENTION activities??
Nelson Self
SupportMiddletown View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2009 at 12:14pm
^Are you suggesting the city should not be using NSP funds for commerical demolition?
Nelson R. Self View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2009 at 1:43pm

That's exactly what I'm saying and here's why:

1) In this decade the percentage of owner-occupied houses in Middletown has markedly declined and must be halted;
2) According to City staff there's up to 1,000 residential properties that may warrant demolition;
3) According to City staff there's more than 2,300 residential properties having minor to major housing code violations;
4) Any reputable local real estate professional will tell you that there's still a large number of vacant, foreclosed homes for sale. 
5) The intent of the HUD Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP) was/is to combat the negative impact that residential property foreclosures are having upon many neighborhoods;
6) Homeownership promotion helps to halt the continuing decline in residential property values; and,
7) Homeownership promotion helps to stabilize the declining tax base and assists in marketing Middletown from an economic development standpoint.

Past policies of senior City staff has led to the following:

1) Decreasing percentages of working class homeownership in Ward 2 plus parts of Wards 1 and 4; and,
2) Explosive growth in subsidized housing in our community from 2000 to 2005 has negatively impacted schools, the tax base, resident safety, etc.

Lastly, please consider failed and/or financially wasteful HUD projects such as:

1) the Dollar Homes acquisition/rehabilitation/resale program; and,
2) the Maple Park Subdivision new single-family development.

These are only a few of the mismanaged or ill-conceived boondoggles that our all-knowing senior City staff have given to us.

I'm a registered Ward 3 voter and I proudly submitted my ballot with the name of Joshua E. Laubach marked last week.  I hope many other Ward 3 voters will do likewise. 

lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2009 at 3:51pm
I agree Nelson! Before it is all said and done, quite a bit of Middletown may need to be "Greenfielded".
Upper90 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upper90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2009 at 3:12pm
Saw some great movies at the Studio in the 70's - Jaws (5 times), Smoky and the Bandit, King Kong, Jeremiah Johnson (significant as the first PG movie I saw) and tons of Disney and other cartoons. I loved how there was always a nice cartoon or something before the movie. I also remember a spooky little covered hallway you had to walk through to get to Central from the back parking lot. Sorg was also cool for movies. I don't understand why an Esquire type theatre would not work downtown.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2009 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by Upper90 Upper90 wrote:

Saw some great movies at the Studio in the 70's - Jaws (5 times), Smoky and the Bandit, King Kong, Jeremiah Johnson (significant as the first PG movie I saw) and tons of Disney and other cartoons. I loved how there was always a nice cartoon or something before the movie. I also remember a spooky little covered hallway you had to walk through to get to Central from the back parking lot. Sorg was also cool for movies. I don't understand why an Esquire type theatre would not work downtown.
Hey we could have been sitting next to each other as I saw the same movies you have listed here,
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2009 at 9:30pm
Taken from the Butler County Citizens for Historic and Preservation Services, CHAPS, Web site:

http://www.butlerchaps.org/

Middletown Losing Studio Theater

A Central Avenue landmark since its construction in 1929, the historic Studio Theater is set for demolition by the City of Middletown. The city has plans to demolish nearly a half block of downtown, including the Studio.

The Studio opened in 1929 as the Strand Theater. When it closed in 1959, downtown still had two other theaters, the Colonial on Main and the Paramount on Broad. The Paramount closed in 1963 and was demolished for the construction of the City Center Mall parking garage. The Colonial was located in the Sorg Opera House, making the Studio the last theater downtown originally constructed for motion pictures.

In 1964, the Strand reopened as the Studio Theater by Associated Theaters of Cincinnati. At that time, the interior underwent extensive renovations and the marquee was modernized. The Studio operated until 1984 and has been inconsistently occupied since.

The destruction of the Studio Theater will be a significant loss for Downtown Middletown. Not only will the city lose an important piece of history and potential, but the Central Avenue streetscape will be marked by another hole. While CHAPS acknowledges the economic limitations of a restoration project by the city, there does not exist a pressing necessity to demolish the structure at this time. Reclaiming the theater would offer a wonderful compliment to the city's plans to revitalize through the arts. In other cities the size of Middletown, theaters have been restored for local theater groups. In Hamilton, the Civic Theater recently completed the restoration of the Palace Theater by using funds from the Ohio Cultural Facilities Commission.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2009 at 7:13am
Good points
I go to many music shows in refurbished theaters(Madison in Newport,Palace in Downtown Dayton, Oakley in Cincy). They have all been re-done semi-successfully, and the Strand/Studio would well play into the area's possible focus on "Arts".

What is the rush, other than a package deal with the property owner?
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2009 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

... What is the rush, other than a package deal with the property owner?
"Package deal"???  I have heard rumors about such a thing on the street, but have dismissed it as mere speculation or scuttlebutt.  After all, our City Manager has unequivocally stated, during a City Council meeting that the city will NOT be acquiring the Sorg mansion!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic