Print Page | Close Window

Calamity Days

Printed From: MiddletownUSA.com
Category: Middletown City Schools
Forum Name: Other School Issues
Forum Description: Discuss other issues such as school security, student activities, etc.
URL: http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=560
Printed Date: May 20 2024 at 5:13pm

Topic: Calamity Days
Posted By: VietVet
Subject: Calamity Days
Date Posted: Sep 24 2008 at 6:53am
Article in the Journal- Schools are considering asking that the 3 or 4 days used for the recent power outage be set aside. They get 5 calamity days for the year, then, have to make up the time. They want a special " do over". Isn't this a typical scenario for the school people? Totally out of touch with reality. News flash to the academic world!- There are no "do overs" in the private sector. If you use a vacation week and you didn't like the way it went, you don't get to ask the boss if you can "do it over". There are no "calamity days" on the job, much less "do overs". Judging by the results of the product produced by the academic world nowadays, I think the kids need to attend school longer, not have more days away from the classroom. This pampered, spoiled,I'm special, "the world centers on me" attitude that is being exhibited here really doesn't help public perception. Not counting the days already taken, not following the rules established and "wiping the slate clean" for these people only creates a softer, undisciplined system. Make them accountable for the days used.

Replies:
Posted By: Middletown News
Date Posted: Sep 24 2008 at 4:07pm

Same issue being discussed in Monroe with Mr. Birdwell. He says its up to the state and unless the state capital had to close schools, there is little chance that the schools will get the exception.

Good.

-------------
Please like our http://www.facebook.com/middletownusa" rel="nofollow - Middletown USA Facebook Page

Posted By: Mike_Presta
Date Posted: Sep 24 2008 at 5:42pm
I agree with both of you!!  Thumbs%20Up

And remember, the original reason for even having the "summer vacation" in the school year was that the children were needed to tend the fields of the local farms.  Very, very few work on family farms in this day and age.

Besides, we and the next generation are paying a bloody fortune for all of these new AIR CONDITIONED school buildings, so there really is no good reason at all not to have a longer school year, is there???

Print Page | Close Window