FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

City Appearance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: City Appearance
    Posted: Feb 26 2016 at 11:47am

City Appearance

How we look matters.  Part of getting new businesses and families to come to Middletown is to present a clean, neat appearance throughout the city when they arrive.  I’ll say it again because it’s that important… How we look matters.

The I-75 interchange is our gateway into the City.  If we want to develop the East End, it starts with a pleasing, tidy appearance as you come off the highway.  We started that process with the ODOT improvements last year.  I’m not satisfied with the end results, however, and I’ve asked Public Works to look at ways to further enhance the appearance at the interchange.  If we intend to send the message that things are changing in Middletown, one of the best ways is to demonstrate those changes visually, not just to talk about them.  I hope to have our interchange looking sharp by the end of 2016.

While attending a city manager conference last year, one city had what I would call a “Transform Middletown” crew that worked each summer on appearance details in the city.  The concept was pretty straight forward.  You assemble a seasonal crew with a public works leader.  Their job is to clean and tidy Middletown.  If it is bent, straighten it. If it is rusted, replace it. If it is faded, replace it. If it has peeling paint, scrape it and  paint it.  If it has weeds, pull them.  If it needs mulch, mulch it.  If it is no longer necessary, remove it. If it has trash, pick it up.  Pay attention to details. I am working with Public Works to try this concept this summer.  In theory, once some of these items are cleaned up along the major roads in town, the crew would move into the parks and then eventually into the neighborhoods.  If it works well this year, we’ll continue the process and keep cleaning the city and paying attention to the details that would make our city more attractive every day.

I’ve asked Chief Muterspaw to look at bringing back the prisoner clean up crews that we used to use to clean trash in the parks.  We are in the planning stages of how often we might be able to utilize those resources, but I would like to see some use of them this summer if possible.

In 2015 Code Enforcement staff completed 687 Commercial Code Enforcement Inspections, resolving 393 of them by year end.  They completed 1,634 Residential Code Enforcement Inspections, resolving 1,274 by year end.  They completed 4,112 Nuisance Inspections, resolving 3,763 of them by year end.  Code enforcement staff will out this spring working to make the city a cleaner, nicer place to live.  I added an additional $150,000 to the 2016 for abatement of nuisances.  We work with homeowners and businesses across the city to voluntarily take care of their property violations.  We will continue that practice, but for those who will not make needed repairs, we will start abating the nuisance for you in 2016.  If we are going to clean up the entire city, then at some point, we actually have to clean up, with or without the property owner’s assistance.  If we are going to have attractive neighborhoods and improve property values, every house on your street and every business is going to have to do their part.  That includes your government.  We have to do a better job of keeping our buildings in compliance as well.  We’ll all struggle through this one together.  The end result is worth the struggle.

Code enforcement and attention to detail will also involve removing junk motor vehicles from the city.  As we move through neighborhoods and strive to clean up the city, automobiles that are either inoperable or not properly registered will be removed if the owner does not take care of the issues.   The MPD task forces will not only be cracking down on drug activity in the city this spring, but they will also be taking action on any illegal activity in the area where they are currently working.  If you receive a warning sticker on your car and you fail to take action, it will be towed after the statutory period to allow you to correct the problem.

Finally, how we look is about details, all the way down to how city vehicles look on the road.  We are looking to update over time our vehicle appearance.  If we show you that your government can change, hopefully others will start to take  pride in their city and join us for the cause.  Below is our first update to a Public Works vehicle.  You should see it out in the city very soon, and we will be updating vehicles as we purchase new and do repair work on the older vehicles.

We’re going to be working hard to clean and tidy up the city this year.  Let us know how we’re doing and feel free to point out areas that need attention.  It may take us a while to get everywhere, but extra sets of eyes are a great help to find remaining problems.  We welcome  your help.

Have a great day!

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2016 at 8:09pm
"The I-75 interchange is our gateway into the City. If we want to develop the East End, it starts with a pleasing, tidy appearance as you come off the highway"

If this is true, why did city leaders, including yourself, wait several years after the new ramps were built to actually start entertaining thoughts on making the area look presentable? Fountain? Landscaping? Never happened as you settled for the "just after construction" look for years.

"Part of getting new businesses and families to come to Middletown is to present a clean, neat appearance throughout the city when they arrive. I’ll say it again because it’s that important… How we look matters."

What about the downtown area with it's empty storefronts, dirty alleys and buildings in disrepair? How about the city owned properties? Will there be activity on those? How about the empty lots in various parts of the city where you demolished but never replaced including large open spaces looking like a barren wasteland on a movie set, compliments of Gilleland who wanted major "open green space" in the city.

"While attending a city manager conference last year, one city had what I would call a “Transform Middletown” crew that worked each summer on appearance details in the city. The concept was pretty straight forward. You assemble a seasonal crew with a public works leader. Their job is to clean and tidy Middletown:

I thought that was what "Keep Middletown Beautiful" led by the landscaper (can't think of his name-Jeff?) with the flower planting and tree planting being done.

"I’ve asked Chief Muterspaw to look at bringing back the prisoner clean up crews that we used to use to clean trash in the parks. We are in the planning stages of how often we might be able to utilize those resources, but I would like to see some use of them this summer if possible."

Yeah, you can start by having the prisoners pick up the massive amount of litter from the Towne Mall west toward the Grand Ave/Roosevelt Blvd split. Have you seen the trash during the winter tucked back under the bushes without foliage now? Kinda of a lousy impression for those coming off I-75 and heading west into the city, right?

"We work with homeowners and businesses across the city to voluntarily take care of their property violations."

Rusty gutters revisited.

Does this crackdown include property owned by the friends of the city? How about the precious downtown property owners, are they on the target list also or is the downtown off limits?

"We’re going to be working hard to clean and tidy up the city this year. Let us know how we’re doing and feel free to point out areas that need attention."

Wow, you are actually asking for our input on something and not just the friends of the city? Will you listen to us if we participate?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic