Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, March 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletown Fall 2013 Voter Guide

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Austin Young View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Austin Young Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2013 at 8:39pm
I'll be supporting Andrew and Tyus for school board. As a college student I feel my education from Middletown has been sufficient but lacked 21st century materials for example science labs. The labs at Middletown lacked the environment and materials that I am experiencing in college. The bond issue is important and I hope this example for a recent MCSD graduate will be informative.
Young
Historic House Guy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2013 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by Marcia Andrew Marcia Andrew wrote:

Acclaro, the reason we are seeking funds for a new middle school and renovated high school is NOT to expand capacity; it is to improve safety and efficiency and to modernize classrooms to meet the needs of the 21st Century.  The state has done studies to forecast enrollment and predicts basically flat enrollment for Middletown.  The plans for the new/renovated buildings would keep student capacity about the same as now.

How about meeting the needs of the 20th century by providing enough books so kids can do their HOMEwork at HOME like we all remember doing? If you want to help the community and provide a good education, how about starting with some common core value?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2013 at 6:41am
Originally posted by Austin Young Austin Young wrote:

I'll be supporting Andrew and Tyus for school board. As a college student I feel my education from Middletown has been sufficient but lacked 21st century materials for example science labs. The labs at Middletown lacked the environment and materials that I am experiencing in college. The bond issue is important and I hope this example for a recent MCSD graduate will be informative.

Good that you feel that way Mr. Young, but it is time for a change. Voting for the same old guard, especially Tyus, who has been a career fixture behind the desk for far too long, will yield only more stagnation and, at best, snails pace progress. It'll never change unless we change the players/approach. It has been decades since we have had decent schools here. If progress has been made, it has come far too slowly with a monumental sum of money spent supporting that slow growth. Not a good ROI so far IMO. We need new people who can offer more meaningful progress instead of the standard features we have now. It just isn't happening fast enough nor with enough results. "It'll take more time" has lost it's luster after hearing it for decades. Time has run out on the programs that have been initiated. Time for a direction change with new people. Time for people to start getting their money's worth. Building new and changing the physical attributes of the district won't make a difference. Just make it "prettier". Changing what goes on inside the buildings (old or new) will. JMO
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2013 at 6:53am
Vet,

I understand your position.  However, all four candidates (three plus a write-in) support the levy...so there is no difference among them on this single issue.

In my humble opinion, the best of this field (being able to vote for two) are Ms. Andrew and Mr. McClure.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2013 at 7:02am
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

Vet,

I understand your position.  However, all four candidates (three plus a write-in) support the levy...so there is no difference among them on this single issue.

In my humble opinion, the best of this field (being able to vote for two) are Ms. Andrew and Mr. McClure.

Understand Mike. Just frustrating to know that there is no choice for me if all support the levy. McClure had his chance, and, as I recall, gave us more of the same old same old. Cookie cutter candidates, all of them. No one running who sees the lack of reasonable progress pace nor who wants to fight for the wallets of the people. Incredible that all think that new schools will make a difference. Do they not see that the first levy approval was not worth the money spent versus the return? Where is the ability to assess the situation? Mercy.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2013 at 7:18am
Vet,

Then look at it this way:

Would you rather have the pompous, supercilious, ill-informed Rev. Tyus???

If you vote for no one, that is who you are likely to get.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2013 at 7:24am
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

Vet,

Then look at it this way:

Would you rather have the pompous, supercilious, ill-informed Rev. Tyus???

If you vote for no one, that is who you are likely to get.

Need some write-in candidates that are all opposed to the levy and want to see quicker, upwardly mobile results for the money spent. If all support the levy, it won't make any difference to me. No one on the school board has seen the light as far as I'm concerned. Business as usual for another term. Again, cookie cutter candidates, with no individual, alternative thinking offered to the public. Sad.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2013 at 7:37am
Too late for write-in candidates.  Even write-in candidates have to register with the Board of Elections ahead of time.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2013 at 6:06pm
Mort Supporters outside of Creekview Elementary 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic