Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Tuesday, April 23, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

got your glasses on

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: got your glasses on
    Posted: Sep 04 2013 at 11:52am
dag-gone-it a 64 year old lady fires three shots and misses Thumbs Down Mabel Fletcher told police that she wished she was wearing her glasses,LOL yep will sometimes help LOL think maybe we need to go get her a shotgun for those darn varmints she has running around that hood breaking into your home like that.. that's really kinda scary a lady with a gun and not wearing your eyeballs LOL 
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2013 at 2:07pm

By Rick McCrabb

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN —

A 64-year-old Middletown woman fired three shots this morning at a woman who broke into her home in the 900 block of Kensington Street, police said.

Mabel Fletcher told police that around 4:40 a.m. she was alerted by her dog that someone was in her home. Fletcher told police that the intruder, Paige Stacy, 21, of Brentwood Street, walked into her bedroom, and when she walked toward Fletcher, Fletcher fired a shot that missed.

Stacy then allegedly threw an ironing board at Fletcher and she fired another shot that missed. Fletcher told police that Stacy pretended to be hit and she laid on the floor. When Fletcher bent over to check on Stacy, she lunged at Fletcher, who fired again and missed.

Fletcher told police that she wished she was wearing her glasses.

Lt. Scott Reeve of the Middletown Division of Police called Stacy “lucky.”

Later, police found Stacy asleep in a car on Elman Court and she was unharmed. The vehicle’s owner told police that she saw a stranger in her car and she called police.

Police said they were looking for Stacy on Tuesday because she was a suspect in the theft of xanax in Monroe.

Stacy had xanax, heroin, hydromorphone, and syringes on her, police said. She was charged with aggravated burglary, three counts of drug abuse, possession of drug abuse instruments and criminal trespass.

She is suspected of breaking into vehicles in the area and attempting to break into two other houses, police said. Additional charges are anticipated, police said.

Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2013 at 6:31pm
Even scarier if the drug addict would have beaten her to death for a few pills and/or dollars Kudos to Ms. or Mrs. Fletcher.
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2013 at 9:19pm
yes Boc glad the lady is ok !! and hope she can feel safe in her home again!! just wished she had not have missed all 3 times!! the shoot-em up, crack head drugs have turned these people into zombies and IMO the only way to deal with them is to blow their darn heads off when you catch them breaking into your home.. so im all for every good person out there having the means to protect their self while in your home or where ever.. my son and wife and now grandbabySmile lived in that area before I talked them into moving out of MiddletownSmile few years ago..
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2013 at 10:00pm
Add in the massive theft ring operating locally to feed the large # of swap shops and flea markets, and you will understand why local retail is dying as we type.
Bo and bumper have it right--there is no dealing with the wave of doped-out zombies roaming our streets.
So--do you think that ANY of them will actually do jail time, or that any property will get back to it's owners?

But our admin has chosen to invest in "art" as our savior at the expense of public safety.
We can blame a lot on Section 8 saturation, but it all comes back to city admin manipulation of our demographics.

Jmo of course!
processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2013 at 10:12am
Spider,
What do you mean by "city admin manipulation of our demographics"?  Isn't section 8 and all of the other subsidized housing in Middletown "manipulation of our demographic"?
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2013 at 10:13am
 Middletown made this mornings news!! wlwt news 5 has a video on the web site interviewing Mabel Fletcher..  and a pic of the zombie she almost bagged...
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2013 at 10:13am
Spider, it does all come back to city admin!!!
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2013 at 12:24pm
processor:

1.PAST manipulation of city demographics concerning the glut of Section 8 forced on the community by design.
I AGREE with the current effort at reduction, however the damage has been done, and the effects will linger for quite a while IF we ever reduce the concentration. Too many admins/commissions/councils have ignored this issue and played along in order to use the funding possibly not to the best overall community interest imo. I lay the blame on city managers, economic development directors, ccommission and council members.

2. The declaration of the entire city being a 54% poverty zone, and declaring my current business location area as the highest crime area + blight within the city, and "beyond repair" justifying nothing being done to remedy the situation + virtually no houses coming down in this area SO FAR. The damage has been done.

3. We have spent too much $$ supporting "art" and driving our economically depressed population OUT of the former downtown area(you know that Hope House will be next with the Rose deal happening). This has only shifted these people into the immediate surrounding neighborhoods. "Art" has brought few jobs to the city, and has contributed little to the income/payroll/property tax bases. Could we get some real #s on Pendleton's contributions vs. our cash/property outlays to them? A nice little weekend entertainment disctrict and "bashes" have done little to realistically bring our community back.

4. Area crime is out of control and broadcast nightly on area news feeds. We have a horrible reputation among nearby community residents. 60 theft ring suspects arrested in the I75 busts--32 living in Middletown(all probably back on the streets already). Retail businesses are reluctant to consider our city due the publicity and hard #s supporting the same. Higher-paying employers are challenged by our available work force.

Here I also take issue to Sgt.Ream's comment in today's MJ stating:
"They(retailers) are spending pennies to save thousands"
Many small retailers locally now spend more on security than they actually lose by theft.
SAFETY--business-worker-customer-neighborhood--is now an equal or higher priority. Everyone must feel safe working and shopping in a business and neighborhood(along with in their homes!). That cost to provide that safety is prohibitive in small independant businesses. The big box retailers are spending more now because they HAVE to do so, and they are still being raped locally by the zombie junkie thieves, which feed our over-saturation of swap shops and flea markets(soon to be the only businesses left within our "inner city". We can make all of the arrests and headlines, however these people end up back on the streets quickly back to doing what they do.

Do I have quality answers to this?
Some--however I am out of the local decision-making mix, only working on my neighborhood, business property and co-worker situations. We have a mess on our hands, brought on largely(hardly exclusively)by the past leaderships.

Hope that I have not gone on too long or harshly, processor, since you seem to be calm, well-informed and constructive. I look forward to reading your thoughts on my comments.
processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2013 at 4:34pm
Spider,
Not too long or too harsh an answer.  I was trying to understand what you meant and now I know.  I agree that Middletown is in a mess.  I don't know if the mess was entirely caused by past administrations/managers, but I do believe that many of their actions and policies did not help the situation.  The section 8 situation is horrible and I believe that instead of reducing the vouchers they should eliminate all of them.  If this causes the Fed's to stop with the grant money then so be it as I don't see where all of the building purchases etc have contributed to the re-building of Middletown.  If anything it's caused the admin to take their eye of the ball of low taxes, crime reduction, solid infrastructure, the basic things a city needs to grow and prosper.  

I also believe that until the basic things are taken care of crime, infrastructure, taxes, etc business will not locate in Middletown and Middletown won't start to turn the corner.  It will take business and not art and other government type programs.  Not sexy or glamorous or easy or quick, but basic blocking, tackling and work is the only way I know to start to make a difference to the city.

Thanks for clarifying your earlier comment.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2013 at 7:39pm
Nice to know that we are somewhat on the same page.

Another thing that is greatly effecting our property values is our city's direction of buying deteriorating un-used properties for high sums, then PAYING others to take them, with little to no contingencies or conditions towards their use, job creation or contribution to the taxed base.

In essence, city admin has determined that business property(particularly in the former downtown area) has no $$ value at all. Someone would be crazy to purchase anything down there, when everything else is given away + subsidized. This factor kept me from buying a very nice piece that I really wanted. It was sold privately very low, and has been very poorly developed imo. Just imagine anyone down there with a desire to divest their properties--the city has hardly been their friend.

This also affects residential real estate prices.
But hey--it keeps people from selling and leaving!
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2013 at 9:33pm
So true.  So sad but true.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2013 at 4:34am
Originally posted by processor processor wrote:

I also believe that until the basic things are taken care of crime, infrastructure, taxes, etc business will not locate in Middletown and Middletown won't start to turn the corner.  It will take business and not art and other government type programs.  Not sexy or glamorous or easy or quick, but basic blocking, tackling and work is the only way I know to start to make a difference to the city.
Processor:

I believe that you are spot on here.

Think back to the first couple hundred years of our country's existence.  Government took care of defense, infrastructure and public safety and kept taxes low.  People came here from all over the world with nothing (or next to nothing) except the will to work and the desire to make a better life for their children  than they had.  (They also had the memories of how difficult life was in the "old country".)  Within a generation or two, many became extremely wealthy; many, many more became upper middle class;  most became at least middle class and led fairly comfortable lives.  Those that just couldn't make it were cared for by their relatives, friends, and charitable organizations.

Then the various levels of government began trying to "help" and the middle class began shrinking as it became more difficult to succeed on one's own and the government giveaways became more lucrative than working for a living after taxes.  

City Hall's old, repeated idea to legislate success downtown smack in the face of market forces is doomed to fail, yet they seem determined to keep trying to do so over and over if it takes every last penny the taxpayers have.

Have you noted that they keep ignoring their own definition of "façade"???  Oh well, I guess they figure we taxpayers have plenty of money to pay for downtown building owner's MAINTENANCE.

And did you notice that, at last Tuesday's council meeting, Joe Mulligan is already pitching for the repaving of Central Avenue downtown???  I guess he's forgotten it was just completely rebuilt about 10 years ago.  What about the rest of the city, Joe???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2013 at 9:10am
Funny I was told by Street Maintenance and Engineering that Boylston, Dickens, Vancouver, and Dover were schedule to be repaved next year. They better not take these roads off the list, these roads have not been repaved since they were built in the 60's and 70's. and have so many pot holes patched that your car feels like you are driving on rumble strips.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic