Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, March 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hello everyone

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Historic House Guy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello everyone
    Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 6:55pm
Thought I would say hello and introduce myself.

Moved here 2 years ago from Vermont with my wife and 2 teenage boys.

Work in historic preservation and on old houses.

Like the city so far. Good place for us to be logistically and like what we're seeing as far as growth here. 

Bought a house on the 200 block of S.Sutphin St. last year and we're fixing it up. Beautiful house if you have the vision to see into the past.

Hope to bring more positive posts about Middletown to this forum.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 7:28pm

Welcome Historic House Guy
I’m a lover of old houses and buildings both large and small that are located all over Middletown.

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 8:44pm
lock yer doors new guy!
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 9:05pm
Spider why don't you find someplace to live that helps you have a more positive perspective on life.
Your negativity is old.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Middletown29 Middletown29 wrote:

Spider why don't you find someplace to live that helps you have a more positive perspective on life.
Your negativity is old.

His and others negativity is just the truth.Your pals down at the city building is the reason behind all the negativity.  You ought to try to come out to the real world once in a while,you just might learn a thing or two.Wink
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 11:19pm
Thank you, HHG and welcome to Middletown.  Best wishes to you in your restoration project.  The Crawford Street / Sutphin Street area was a targeted rehabilitation area only five years ago.  I suggest that you speak with Mr. Adkins at city hall to ask that this area is once again designated for the intensified use of CDBG and HOME Program funds.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 2:51am
lol Mtown 29
u seem to be the most negative person on this site imo
so u know something about negativity
don't know of anything that u have ever done that has actually helped this community
especially involving helping the needy despite yer resources
campaigning for u was an interesting experience, in that I was surprised to find out how disliked u really are by the general public--I had always enjoyed yer company

I do know a little about S Supthin though--doubt that u ever spend much time in that area
r u still sucking up to and being used by the area Republicans?

btw--I have had a great life here--enjoy it despite local govt/admin mucking it up
I am a lucky guy and I know it
try to give back to the many in need who have shown me support
my record backs that up
what about u?
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 2:58am
lol perplex
I believe that admin judged the Crawford/Moore area to be beyond saving, despite having the highest crime rate in the city. Decided to spend the $$ in more areas like the Highlands and former downtown/S Main
had no support during the weed/seed sessions that produced nothing

hey mtown29--what needy areas did u improve during yer tenure?
what was yer plan for the former downtown after removing the roof?
Or was that your key accomplishment?
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 3:11am
actually new guy--I lived close to u for many years, and have been a part of a business there for well over 50 years
so I know the area very well and the changes that have happened there
hopefully u moved in AFTER yer street was fixed

u r much-needed there with your re-do and positive community approach
will support yer efforts in every way that I can

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkK5v1LGrDU
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 6:29am
Welcome to Middletown Vermont folks! I apologize for what the city has become, as you see it, versus what it was at one time. If you are somewhat impressed with it now, you would have absolutely enjoyed the heck out of it years ago in better days.

Sutphin St. was a very respectable location in the city 40-50 years ago. Has steadily gone down a bit as the people who took pride in the area either died or moved out and the "new generation" moved in, some not caring as much as the older generation. Now, the area resembles so much of the city where once nice, well taken care of neighborhoods have fallen into disrepair. Sad to see it develop over all these years. This scenario has slowly moved from the west and south side toward the north and east sides in the last 4 decades. Once very respectable neighborhoods like Euclid, Kensington St. and the upper end of Jackson Lane, all off of Grand Ave., an area where I grew up, have been knocked down a peg or two by the movement.

On another note.....Spider gives us some insight on just who Middletown29 is as he mentions the roof being removed from the City Centre Mall. The leaders at the time included Fred Sennett and company, didn't it? Was Becker in that group at that time? Sad state of affairs back then. One group of council people encloses downtown and puts a roof over it and another group of council people spends 13 million to remove the roof and mall. The mall never did produce a dam thing for the money spent. And so it goes in the ever present soap opera of inept thinkers who run this town. Still going on with the current council. Just a different angle of ineptness. Sad.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 8:39am
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

lol perplex
I believe that admin judged the Crawford/Moore area to be beyond saving, despite having the highest crime rate in the city. Decided to spend the $$ in more areas like the Highlands and former downtown/S Main
had no support during the weed/seed sessions that produced nothing

hey mtown29--what needy areas did u improve during yer tenure?
what was yer plan for the former downtown after removing the roof?
Or was that your key accomplishment?

Spidey,

Read what's said first before offering your non-relevant reply.  The policies and priorities I'm talking about iwere pre-Gilleland and Akins of five and six years ago.  Read before you speak.  And, since you know Akins so well you might try discussing possibilities for Sutphin / Crawford.  From 2007-2008 there were several housing rehab projects there although your other friend Marty K. did not believe in targeted revitalization neighborhoods.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 9:22am
Friendly acquaintances--best way to have it
Unfortunately what was planned b4 the current crew is probably no longer relevant
Might as well deal with how it is now IMO
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 1:42pm
SpiderJohn,

The massive city residential demolition program now in progress is:

1)  having little to no negative impact upon neighborhoods experiencing minor disinvestment and decline west of Highland Park, etc.?
2)  is limited mostly to the older, impacted areas of Ward 2?
3)  encourages property maintenance and growing percentages of home ownership in census tracts with concentrations of low- to moderate-income households?
4)  generating a stabilized property tax base and improved marketability of residential properties in aforementioned neighborhoods?
5)  transforming the city into a Pickerington-like community?
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Perplexed Perplexed wrote:

SpiderJohn,

The massive city residential demolition program now in progress is:

1)  having little to no negative impact upon neighborhoods experiencing minor disinvestment and decline west of Highland Park, etc.?
2)  is limited mostly to the older, impacted areas of Ward 2?
3)  encourages property maintenance and growing percentages of home ownership in census tracts with concentrations of low- to moderate-income households?
4)  generating a stabilized property tax base and improved marketability of residential properties in aforementioned neighborhoods?
5)  transforming the city into a Pickerington-like community?

I've seen this going on and it's good to see some old trashy buildings coming down. There are plenty of good homes that can be fixed up but I believe they're doing a good job of tearing down the ones that are beyond repair. One of them cam down a few houses down from me on Arlington St.

The only failure I see from it is that no one is allowed to  salvage anything from it. This is a real shame! Their are windows, doors, lighting, siding, all sorts of things that could be useful for repairing and restoring other homes here in Middletown. What a waste!
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 5:40pm
So why does it say "outsider" under my name? Is that just a post count title?
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 6:31pm
Anyone interested in seeing the work I do, please visit https://www.facebook.com/RestoreOhio
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2013 at 6:03pm
Historic House Guy, Hello and welcome to Middletown, Don't let the "neysayers" scare you, most of them are really harmless. LOL. We are glad you're here. You will find if you have a question about just about any thing someone on this forum can help you or will help you find an answer. We really do have some very intelligent people on this forum. I'm not going to name names or it will go to their heads. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic