FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

J. T.s letter for Jerry

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
squeemy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squeemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: J. T.s letter for Jerry
    Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 9:37am
Thanks for your homage to Jerry Nardiello in the Journal today, J. T.

There's a few of us out here who appreciate your sentiment.

may I challenge the group to find a way to post the text of it here?
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 10:21am
From MJ:
Letters to the editor 
  Life has been enriched by Nardiello

Regarding Rick Mc-Crabb’s excellent article about Jerry Nardiello (“Former local sportswriter, editor is 90 years old today,” Nov. 11) ...

When I was hired at the Journal in 1974 at the ripe old age of 26, I already knew who Jerry Nardiello was because of his countless stories and columns (called “Off the Bench”) on local sports I had read while growing up. He covered them all thoroughly, and in that detailed manner we all learned to expect. Yep, all the local teams: Reds, Bengals, Middies, Falcons, Mohawks, Hornets, Indians, Wildcats, Panthers and Redskins — and did all of them justice.

I first encountered Jerry in the hall at the paper after being hired by ad director, Wally Grey, and Jerry was with Chardelle Weber and Paul Day. Believe me, to a newbie, they were a formidable trio of local journalists, and all three made it a point to introduce themselves and welcome me. From that day, I was welcome in the newsroom anytime, and through the years made many fast friends there.

I saw Jerry a few months ago at the library and we had a spirited conversation about local sports and old Journal hands. I could tell from our conversation his Journal memories were just as precious to him as mine are to me. He’s now a Middletown treasure and I say, “God bless you, Jerry.” You’re the best, and my life has been enriched for knowing you, the terrific stories you composed and all the wonderful people who made our paper a wonderful local product in those days. JOHN T. MAHER, MIDDLETOWN

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic