FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R.I.P...Judge Mark Wall

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R.I.P...Judge Mark Wall
    Posted: Feb 12 2017 at 7:59pm
The cause of death remains under investigation.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2017 at 7:58pm

By Lauren Pack, Staff Writer

Longtime Middletown Municipal Court Judge Mark W. Wall has died. 

“Tonight we lost a friend and mentor for many of us at the Division of Police and to all the City of Middletown in Judge Mark Wall. Our prayers go out to his family and friends. Rest in Peace your honor,” Middletown Police Chief Rodney Muterspaw said in a Saturday social medial post. 

Wall, 70, was appointed to the bench by Gov. George Voinovich to served the balance of Judge James Comb’s term and was elected to his first full six-year term in November 1995. 

A lifelong resident of the Middletown area, Wall graduated from Middletown’s Bishop Fenwick High School and from Miami University in 1968. He earned his law degree from the University of Cincinnati in 1973. 

During the Vietnam conflict, he served with the 199th Light Infantry Brigade of the U.S. Army. He received several citations and awards, including the Bronze Star Medal. 

Wall began his practice in 1973 with the local firm of Wilmer and Wilmer. He was in general trial practice with federal, state and local courts along with probate and real estate law. 

Wall was active in community service and youth sports and served two terms as a Lemon Twp. trustee prior to his appointment.

Wall is survived by his wife, Linda, and two children. 

Muterpaw said Wall was found at home shortly before 6 p.m. and is believed to have died of natural causes. 

“He was a tremendous person in this community and was much bigger than a judge,” Muterspaw said. “He was a mentor to most of us when we were younger policemen first coming on and just a friend to those in need. Very selfless man with an incredibly big heart.”

Attorney Greg Howard — who will take the oath of office as Butler County Common Pleas judge next week following the death of Judge Craig Hedric in November — and his wife, attorney Melynda Cook, who served as visiting judge for wall said, “We are both devastated by this news. Our Middletown community lost a leader, we lost our judge and our friend. He saw good in those who came before him even when they were charged with crimes. He was well respected by attorneys, his staff and city prosecutors and those who appeared in front of him, many of whom called him ‘Judge Walls.’ We have both been privileged to sit in for him as acting judge.”

"Judge Wall was to swear me in on Friday afternoon. It is hard to comprehend he is gone,” Howard said.

Lisa Snead, Wall’s judicial assistant, said her heart splintered into pieces when she got the new of her boss’ death. 

“I don’t know how to voice my feelings for this man that I worked closely with day to day for more than 20 years. My heart is shattered,” Snead said.

She added that when Wall left work Friday he promised he would take care of himself and he would see her on Monday. “Now he is gone. A huge part of my life is no longer on this earth,” she said.

Butler County Assistant Prosecutor David Kash, who had known Wall since he began practicing law in 1979, said: “He was an honorable man, brilliant and insightful jurist. He will truly be missed.” 

Defense attorney Lawrence Hawkins III remembered Wall as a beloved judge. 

“He was a great man and and great judge. He appointed me on my first murder case. That led me to getting certified to do capital cases. He was one of he most respected and beloved judges,” Hawkins said.

John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Analytical View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2017 at 10:28am
VietVet, thank you again for your service.  And, GOD bless your dear wife and family as she strives to overcome serious medical challenges.

You have been a valuable, independent participant on this blog.  Your commentary and opinions offers a counterpoint to the occasional "fluff" and "exaggeration" spewed by those in power.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2017 at 9:40am
I did not know Mark Wall. I did know that he was a fellow Vietnam Vet and therefore, feel a personal loss for a fellow brother of the war.

God Bless

RIP Mr. Wall
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2017 at 6:43am
This is such sad news. Mike Presta is right. Middletown has a great loss in Judge Wall's demise.Years ago I was counseling a number of troubled  young people. In the process, I would take the youngsters to the airport or to Mark Walll's court. Judge Wall would say to the youngsters , "Many of you believe that you are smarter than your counselors, teachers, the police and the court. But you are not. 85% of people incarcerated in the State of Ohio do not have a high school education. That's not too smart. Some of you will join that number. That's not too smart. You are not as smart as you think you are  otherwise you wouldn't be in this court." I wrote to him on a couple of occasions and told him the positive impact of what he said had on a couple of the youngsters who changed course and  got their diplomas and went on to lead productive lives. His impact was so helpful and practical. He served his country and the people of Middletown in an exemplary manner. He shall be greatly missed. Deepest condolences, prayers and thoughts to his family.

Paul Nagy
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2017 at 10:57pm
Middletown Municipal Court Judge (and personal friend) Mark Wall passed away earlier this evening.

Our community is poorer for his passing.

May his family be comforted knowing that Mark was loved by so many who knew him, and feel the loss along with them.

Middletown is a better place for having Mark here.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic