FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Goetz Tower Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Analytical View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Goetz Tower Project
    Posted: Feb 04 2017 at 6:36pm
In addition to the Liberty Spirits deal, Is it also accurate that Mike Robinette is still one of the principals of the pending Goetz Tower project?  Also, does he have a piece of the Rose Furniture or other potential "downtown" undertakings?
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2017 at 1:07pm

Background on Goetz Tower Project

State Historic Tax Credit Expected to Boost $3.1M Renovation of Goetz Tower

BY DAVID A. EMERY ― 

The seven-story Middletown Building & Deposit Association tower in Butler County was one of 12 projects in southwest Ohio to receive historic tax credits last month from the State of Ohio. As part of the deal, the $3.1 million project will receive $600,000.

http://www.urbancincy.com/tag/goetz-tower/

John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2017 at 1:11pm
I would love to have more current information about these two projects.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Douglas Adkins View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Douglas Adkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2017 at 8:25am
Mike is no longer associated with Steve Coon's group and does not have an interest in either Goetz or Rose Furniture anymore.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2017 at 11:44am

LEGISLATION

1. Ordinance No. O2017-02, an ordinance authorizing an amendment to the Community Reinvestment Area Agreement between City of Middletown, Historic Goetz Tower, LLC and Grassroots Ohio, LLC. (Second Reading)

As of 9-24-2014 Mike Robinette was president of both Grassroots Ohio LLC and Historic Goetz Tower LLC when the transfer took place. Copies are available in this weeks council workbook.

http://www.cityofmiddletown.org/docs/council/02072017_w.pdf

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2017 at 11:48am
In the council workbook this property is listed as being located at 1000 Central Ave....however auditor page it is listed as 11S Main Street ??????

PARID: Q6511005000049
HISTORIC GOETZ TOWER LLC11 S MAIN ST

TaxyrLand ValueBuilding ValueTotal Appraised ValueLand (35%)Building (35%)35% Total AssessedCAUV
2016$12,600$146,970$159,570$4,410$51,440$55,850$0
2015$12,600$146,970$159,570$4,410$51,440$55,850$0
2014$12,600$146,970$159,570$4,410$51,440$55,850$0

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Douglas Adkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2017 at 11:48am
He was in 2014. He is not now.   That's why the legislation is being presented to clean up the ownership in the CRA agreement.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2017 at 12:03pm
Doug
Who is the new owner of the Goestz Tower and when did the transfer take place?
whistlersmom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whistlersmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2017 at 12:14pm
Douglas Adkins posted this on Jan. 20, 2017 at 8:56 am under “Manchester Inn sold”

“Rose Furniture will be rebuilt as part of the Goetz Tower project with retail first floor and upper level apartments. Took a long time but it will get done.”

John, I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for Rose Furniture to be completed. The now deteriorated condition of the structure is obvious. Just stand by a window on the sidewalk and look up inside – you will see the sky due to the roof having fallen to street level. In 2013, we were lead to believe that Robinette was “given” Rose Furniture plus $300,000 to fix the roof. Nothing has been done. Now that Robinette is no longer a part of this project we want to be assured that the $300K is still present and accounted for to be used for its intended purpose by the Steve Koon’s group. How much has the delay added to the cost of rebuilding? Why didn’t (shouldn’t) the city have a contract requiring start and completion dates? No urgency here! Is Koon,s group out of funds? How can that be when little or nothing has been done to refurbish the propeties they received for little or nothing. Is that the reason the city had to lease the first floor of the Goetz Tower? What else can we give away and subsidize?

After the Rose Furniture debacle, why does the city continue to favor the Koon’s group over any others who might want to make a real contribution to their revitalization plans?
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Douglas Adkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2017 at 12:17pm
Historic Goetz Tower, LLC is still the owner. Mike no longer has an interest in HGT and Grass Roots Ohio no longer is involved in the project.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2017 at 1:12pm
Insofar as the Rose Furniture deal is concerned, does the word "CONVOLUTED" describe the city's role since 2013?  Are the taxpayers to understand that Mr. Coon will now receive the $300,000 promised earlier to Mr. Robinette?  May these funds also be co-mingled with the Goetz Tower deal?  A straight-forward response is requested?
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2017 at 5:02pm
Once again, does Mr. Coon receive the $300,000 previously allocated to Mr. Robinette for the Rose Furniture deal?  If so, will Mr. Coon be able to utilize some or all of said funds for the Goetz Tower deal Mr. Akins?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2017 at 8:20pm
Doug
None of the documents in the workbook name the new officers of Historic Goetz Tower LLC.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Douglas Adkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2017 at 7:53am
Vivian and Nelson,

I'm happy to spend some time here answering questions and trying to explain what we are doing and why. I don't have time, however, to answer the same questions over and over. I have a very difficult city to run and my mother's health is failing and caring for her takes up a lot of the rest of my time.

Mike is out of the Goetz deal and has no business association with Steve Coon's group any more. You'll just have to believe me or not. I don't have time to look for officer documents.

I'm willing to spend some more time on the Rose Furniture deal, but it probably won't be until next week sometime. I will respond more then.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2017 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Analytical Analytical wrote:

Insofar as the Rose Furniture deal is concerned, does the word "CONVOLUTED" describe the city's role since 2013?  Are the taxpayers to understand that Mr. Coon will now receive the $300,000 promised earlier to Mr. Robinette?  May these funds also be co-mingled with the Goetz Tower deal?  A straight-forward response is requested?
Steve Coon has been part of this project since the beginning if you were to go back and review city council meeting minutes.  

The $300,000 received was to:

- Repair the roof at Rose (which collapsed prior to work being able to begin)
- Acquire the property at 44 Main and make repairs.  This property had been damaged by the Rose roof issue.  The property was acquired by Historic Rose LLC on 10/8/2013 for $125,000.  It has subsequently been sold (8/31/2016) for $148,000

The roof at Rose collapsed prior to Coon and his group being able to address the issue.  Council at the time postponed the initial vote by two weeks, and Coon warned Council about  the risk in doing so.  

I think it's pretty unfair to Coon to say that he hasn't used the money provided to him wisely.  There was a tremendous amount of work that need to be done after the roof collapsed 

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2017 at 1:17pm
It's heart-warming to know that you are so "in the loop" with taxpayer funded activities.  Maybe you are much closer to the operations of One Donham Plaza than we realize?  And, by the way, I did not say that Mr. Coon spent the $300,000.  Thanks for the clarification.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2017 at 1:37pm
A couple of additional questions for you, swohio75:

1)  since nearly four years have passed since the $300,000 was allocated for this deal, when will the roof of the Rose Furniture Building finally be rebuilt?  2)  since a profit was made on the fairly recent sale of the adjacent property, will these funds be returned to the city?  3)  does the new Abuelo group have any financial or contractual ties to the Goetz Tower deal?

Sometimes these arrangements handled by the city can be a bit confusing.  It's important for city staff to keep the citizenry abreast of these developments on a timely basis especially since taxpayer's dollars are involved.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2017 at 2:13pm
Based upon your Rose Furniture update today, is it safe to say that the net proceeds of the sale of 44 S. Main Street will remain with the new owner rather than the city?  Correct me if I am wrong swohio75, but, the $300,000 is essential another major equity contribution by the city for the developers of the Goetz Tower and S. Main Street properties?  You might check with Les Landen about this matter.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2017 at 2:35pm

It's heart-warming to know that you are so "in the loop" with taxpayer funded activities.  Maybe you are much closer to the operations of One Donham Plaza than we realize?  And, by the way, I did not say that Mr. Coon spent the $300,000.  Thanks for the clarification.
Everything I post is a matter of public record and nothing to do with any involvement or close relationship with the city.  
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2017 at 2:41pm

A couple of additional questions for you, swohio75:

1)  since nearly four years have passed since the $300,000 was allocated for this deal, when will the roof of the Rose Furniture Building finally be rebuilt?  2)  since a profit was made on the fairly recent sale of the adjacent property, will these funds be returned to the city?  3)  does the new Abuelo group have any financial or contractual ties to the Goetz Tower deal?

Sometimes these arrangements handled by the city can be a bit confusing.  It's important for city staff to keep the citizenry abreast of these developments on a timely basis especially since taxpayer's dollars are involved.
Since you appear to be not capable of doing research on matters of public record, you can see the tax mailing address for 44 Main is:

ABUELACO LLC
Mailing Name 2 C/O AKKO FASTENER INC
Address 1 6855 CORNELL RD
Address 2  
Address 3 CINCINNATI OH 45242 0259

Steve Coon and/or Mike Robinette is not listed as having any involvement with said company. This LLC also recently purchased an industrial facility in Hook Industrial Park.  

You make an assumption that there was a profit made.  While the sale price was more than the purchase price, it doesn't mean a profit was made.  We do not know the expenditures that were necessary to repair 44 Main, and also the property taxes that were paid while Coon's group owned the building. 

The city manager is best to speak on the timeline as far as the Rose project is concerned as I have no involvement with the project or city operations. 

swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2017 at 2:47pm

Based upon your Rose Furniture update today, is it safe to say that the net proceeds of the sale of 44 S. Main Street will remain with the new owner rather than the city?  Correct me if I am wrong swohio75, but, the $300,000 is essential another major equity contribution by the city for the developers of the Goetz Tower and S. Main Street properties?  You might check with Les Landen about this matter.
If memory serves me correctly, the $300,000 figure was what it was going to cost the city to demolish the Rose building and make repairs to 44 Main.

Instead, Council at the time decided to provide those funds to Coon to redevelopment of those properties--which included the Rose roof stabilization and repair.  

I have no idea the extend of the cost of the clean up and remediation of that disaster nor the additional damage if any it caused to adjacent properties. 

While I was not on Council or part of city admin, I believe it was the best decision at that time. We can debate all day long whether the city should have acquired the Rose property.  That's a whole different discussion. 

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2017 at 4:10pm
Doug
I have just finished reading your blog about the Goetz Tower... https://citymanagermiddletown.com/

"People have asked me why we support the redevelopment of the Goetz Tower into luxury apartments.  I’d love to say that we came upon some revolutionary new idea that only Middletown can take advantage of, but the reality is that we are already behind the curve of other redeveloping cities."

No Doug we are not behind the curve. Many years ago City Hall chose a different path and spent millions of dollars putting a roof over our downtown business area and it failed.

"Some people think I’m dead wrong. I think I’m right. One of us is wrong. I hope it’s them and not me."

Five years from now we will know if your gamble with taxpayers money was a successful investment.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2017 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

Five years from now we will know if your gamble with taxpayers money was a successful investment.
It has already been nearly four years, hasn't it???

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
whistlersmom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whistlersmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2017 at 5:46pm
Thank you Vivian!

If, five years from now, Doug's gamble with our tax dollars is a failure, he will be able to move on to his next victim and take his bonus pay raises with him. But the rest of Middletown's taxpaying (and by then penniless) citizens will be left holding the bag again.

I'd prefer not to wait five years for that to happen!

Also, it has been over looked that historically many of the original downtown businesses had living space above them. Isn't it true that the city passed an ordinance prohibiting living in a commercial building? Has this been reconsidered? If not the Goetz, Rose and Journal buildings all would not be in compliance. Why shouldn't present owners of those buildings with available living space not be allowed to use them fully? Or have they just given up trying to survive and moved on, leaving another black hole for the city to raze or give away? Is this the reason no one is living downtown?

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2017 at 8:20pm
whistlersmom: "Is this the reason no one is living downtown?"

Well now, according to the Channel 9 story on downtown Middletown tonight, I believe they mentioned that there are people who are living in downtown buildings. Replay the segment on 9 News tonight and see if they mentioned this in the story at some point. They did mention the Goetz Tower plans for occupancy I think.

I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic