FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Good Times Again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Analytical View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good Times Again
    Posted: Nov 22 2015 at 12:11pm
As a newcomer, I believe that it will take only one or two more years for the policies and programs of City Manager Adkins to bear fruit.  We need to exercise patience and support him.  New businesses, more good paying jobs, neighborhood improvement, financial solvency, etc. will be the criteria to favorably evaluate him and his staff.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2015 at 4:41pm
Can someone come over and help me get up off the floor???

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2015 at 6:26pm
I expected at least one naysayer to counter my comments about City Manager Adkins.  And now, my expectations are confirmed.  Despite the archived negativity that I've been reading today, he is a well-intentioned administrator and program developer.  Why not give him a couple of additional years to achieve success?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2015 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by Analytical Analytical wrote:

I expected at least one naysayer to counter my comments about City Manager Adkins.  And now, my expectations are confirmed.  Despite the archived negativity that I've been reading today, he is a well-intentioned administrator and program developer.  Why not give him a couple of additional years to achieve success?

An Adkins supporter who sees only what it could be, not what it is now nor how the town has been decimated by the past and current decisions of the city leaders. Adkins made himself a part of the problem when he worked for Gilleland, one of the worst city managers this city has had who inflicted immeasurable damage to this city during her tenure. He showed no resistance with bringing in the low income/section 8 people and the elements they bring with them as to increased crime, drugs and a strain on police and fire personnel. As revitalization director, he knocked down half of Middletown leaving certain areas of town looking like a desolated ghetto He is a supporter of the downtown fiasco of forced culture and the arts in a blue collar community where the majority wants no part of it and millions have been wasted on forced development attempts. He is part of the false PR doctrine of how this city is improving when, in reality, it is stagnated at best and has been for decades. Thanks to people like Gilleland, Kohler and Adkins, and those before them, Middletown is the laughing stock of SW Ohio and is considered a destitute community and one to stay away from by most who know the area.

You tell me, Analytical, what would be the source of your enthusiasm, given the dire straits this city has been in the last three decades? The people have given more than enough time for the city leaders to get their act together. Time is up and no savior is on the horizon, ie, no savior with the right priorities and focus. As long as it is business as usual here (and Adkins comes from a business as usual climate), we will never turn this city around.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2015 at 10:45pm
wonder if the needle exchange will be a success?? if so, ya know maybe he can count that one..
middiemom View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middiemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2015 at 1:18pm
Analytical,

You expected only one detractor on this site? LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL Stay positive though. Mr. Adkins deserves a chance. All these gentlemen on this site do is complain whenever someone tries something new. They whine about how it was in the sixties, or when someone tries to open up a restaurant that serves something more than chicken wings and fried food. A few can't even be happy when someone (with their own $) opens up a shop in the revitalized downtown  and tries to make a go of it. Mr. Adkins said it best regarding some of the commentators on this site....."If I gave each one of them a million dollars they would complain about it and ask where I found it." 

Stay positive. Things are turning around!Thumbs Up
Middletown... Bright past BRIGHTER FUTURE!!!
Dean View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2015 at 2:47pm
Doug Adkins isn't trying anything new. In fact, its the same policies in place for twenty years. What is new is the need for federal funds from grants for roads, schools, and housing including section 8 vouchers. That is what has been new as to the increase in numbers of them, in the past fifteen years. Three five star restaurants downtown, ten microbreweries covering every street corner, nor a bakers dozen spa and massage upscale salons will be sufficient to drawl more high quality residents and businesses. When physician offices and rental complexes are being auctioned throughout town, that is not a sign good things are happening. Additionally, neither is a 30 year old allegedly murdered by her boyfriend running a prostitution ring downtown. The city is known to be more similar to Sons of Anarchy, than Sound of Music. No offense intended to Men and Woman Needed Who Can Sing and Middletown Symphony Orchestra.  Touche.     
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2015 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by middiemom middiemom wrote:

Analytical,

You expected only one detractor on this site? LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL Stay positive though. Mr. Adkins deserves a chance. All these gentlemen on this site do is complain whenever someone tries something new. They whine about how it was in the sixties, or when someone tries to open up a restaurant that serves something more than chicken wings and fried food. A few can't even be happy when someone (with their own $) opens up a shop in the revitalized downtown  and tries to make a go of it. Mr. Adkins said it best regarding some of the commentators on this site....."If I gave each one of them a million dollars they would complain about it and ask where I found it." 

Stay positive. Things are turning around!Thumbs Up

middiemom, you must be a relative newcomer to town. If so, if you arrived AFTER the early 70's, it would explain why the sun is always shining for you as you view the city and why you will never understand the reason some of us are so bitter about what has happened to the city. You have not been here long enough to make a credible comparison as to what it WAS versus what it IS now. If you were here BEFORE the early 70's, you know better than to make the comments you habitually make on this forum. I won't speak for spiderjohn nor Mike Presta but I know for a fact that it was a much better city pre-City Centre Mall days, particularly pre-70's. They will probably verify that statement as long time residents.

It is good that you keep a positive attitude about the potential improvements that you believe are being made but you must understand, to some of us, IF and WHEN those improvements are made, to we long term residents, we will only be back to square one as to progress in town. If the city ever returns to a healthy condition again, it will be a tremendous difference for you but only a return to what it once was to us. As of now, IMO, the complaints are justified because little to no progress has been make for decades and the city is still on the border of ghetto status and has a poor reputation in SW Ohio.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2015 at 4:21pm
All that I'll say at this point is, "give City Manager Adkins an opportunity to bring about the positive change that he speaks of in two more years maximum."  If he falters, then it's probably time to reassess personnel, etc.  Give hope a chance.
Dean View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2015 at 5:40pm
City council makes that decision, but he will be given employment in Middletown until he retires at age 65 or 70. Its not what he accomplishes, but what he advances on behalf of city council headed by Main Street. Residents are a distant concern and influence.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2015 at 5:54pm
someone is trying something new?
here?
who-where-when?

fair enough, anal-ytical--I like Mr.A(which gets me in trouble here), and will help him any way that I can to change our current situation.
But change come very slow and hard around here. Lifers are fed up with "give us time", since they have been hearing that and waiting for 20+ years.

The former downtown area is honestly only important to a select few who have invested there. The rest of us have paid a lot of $$$ to subsidize their investment there, with not enough to show for the time and effort(aka "bang for da buck"). I only wish that admin/council would show that much interest/effort/investment in the rest of our city, which has been neglected for the black hole down there.

I was down there Sat.night and not much was going on. 90% of the places were locked up tight. All credit to Windamere, Morningstar, 3 Moon, At the Square and Canal House. I like them all and try to support them, as well as numerous locally-owned businesses. If it is all the owners' skin in the game, then I am there to support them.

We don't need any more non-profits in the area. We need property tax/payroll tax/income tax-paying businesses. Replacing those with non-profits solves nothing, and only magnifies the problems.

Everyone likes to pile it on the MUSA posters as THE problem. Well--they ain't da problem--they just talk about da problems(which no one else--media included--is allowed to do). 90% of our issues were created in the Donham bunker over decades. We just pay for it all. DMI, MMF, façade grants, street lights, streets, signals---all for one poorly performing out-of-the-way small portion of our community. Easy to see why many are skeptical of the continued effort and related "buzz".

Once again, I will give Mr.A the benefit of the doubt, however time keeps rolling on, and honestly not that much has changed, + we seem to be headed towards repetition once again.

Instead of criticizing and demeaning me, middiemom and analytical, give me real reasons to be MORE optimistic.

So--both of you--in what local efforts are you participating?
What are your histories of community involvement and monetary support?
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2015 at 8:57pm
Well spiderjohn, Doug Adkins did bring fireworks back once a year, isn't that a start?
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2015 at 7:36am
Lol fact guy--my neighborhood has always had fireworks
Sounds like a war zone on the week of the 4th

It is only in the southwest corner of town where it is not allowed( only gunfire)
Know anywhere else that gets busted for them?
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2015 at 8:37am
If I were still operating my last business, I would be doing so with two of the three entrances blocked by never-ending road repair during the week of Thanksgiving(one of the top sales weeks of the year). And with no work being done.

Doesn't work this way if u live/work in the former downtown or on the first few blocks of S Main.

So much for planning and caring......
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2015 at 1:21pm
OK--fair enough analytical, middiemom and factguy....
what u really do and contribute to the community is obviously yer private bidness

So---the rest of us can lift up our heads and be proud of what we have left, and move forward to what we can do to honestly make things better around here----no more complaining and whining about "past glories"!

I have faith in the caring regulars at MUSA--their community knowledge and interest in restoring the quality of life in our area. Everyone here should volunteer to serve on a board, committee or project, based on their areas of knowledge and interests. We are all capable of lifting our standards and conditions.

Doug A & Co should hit the ground running in 2016--the team is in place, and we have a new Council and School Board. New faces should be open to other new faces and voices---we wanted change and these bodies will hopefully give us change quickly and effectively. + these people are actually PAYING for IDEAS!!!! Will u b the first MUSA regular to be rewarded????

I am ready, willing and able to make a difference around here, have already volunteered and have plans to contribute in a few positive ways.
And I know the capabilities and talents of many here---time to channel it towards the betterment of the entire community.

The city and lives that you improve/save may well include your own!
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2015 at 10:48pm
I tried volunteering for many boards and commissions in the past, Spider. Filled out the applications, attached resume. I was only accepted for a couple of minor ones, and they wouldn't even tell me when they were meeting.

They made it pretty clear that I wasn't welcome.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2015 at 10:35am
Spider
I thought the reason council hired Mr. Adkins was the fact that he was already familiar with all the problems of Middletown and could “hit the ground running to solve these problems”.
I do hope that the new council will take Middletown in a new direction.

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2015 at 11:08am
Agree ms.moon
New Councilneeds to call the shots from day1, with a couple of big shake ups immediately.
They have had plenty of time to study the situations since they are both lifers.
If no change, then why did they run?
If they want us to believe and contribute, then show us a lot in which to believe and contribute!
Dean View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2015 at 10:18am
This week the Business Insider ha a well written article on Eleven Factors that would erode a city or neighborhood commercial and residential property value. Among these were:

i)  Crime
ii) Schools
iii) Clutter, or proper upkeep of appearance- pride of ownership
iv) Foreclosures and overcapacity; too much property, limited interest in ownership
v) Noise
vi) Pollution/ Contamination

Middletown fails in nearly 80% of the factors listed. Moreover, property valuation, regardless of either commercial or residential, is the bottom-line measure of a community success.

With these factors evident, getting involved doesn't alter this. it is worthy to keep a cemetery cleaned and pruned, houses painted, but there isn't significant contribution or involvement that makes an impact with one exception. Encouraging and mentoring programs may help school children as individuals, but it has limited effect on testing. Moreover, the recent Common Core results comparing Middletown to surrounding areas demonstrated the consistency many know. The school district remains at the bottom or near with little indication isn't advancing upward to get out of its long-standing rank of Continuous Improvement.

Polite community involvement involves helping your neighbor fold boxes, bring extra newspaper, and be willing to help load the moving van headed out of town. Or in the alternative, grab a bullhorn, and yell at top of your lungs, "Middletown is down, but not out. You'll love it here."! Then, you are in line with city council. If we say its so, others will believe it to be true. Community involvement demands a bull-horn and + hype.    
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2015 at 12:11pm
Opportunities are plentiful in the pursuit of uplifting Middletown.  However, because of our nation's huge fiscal problems, it seems foolish to continue counting on millions in HUD dollars flowing into the city.  In this regard, I commend City Manager Adkins for reaching out to the business community, etc.  He will find real world and not governmental subsidy solutions.  Stay the course.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2015 at 2:04pm
HUD money should never have been considered as a source of money flow in the city in the first place. Creates several problems for the city. Reliance on government money/totally at the mercy of fed government intervention and it trashes the city bringing in unwanted elements such as crime, drugs and strains the medical and law enforcement communities and you lower the quality of the type of people living here. The city's econ devel dept should have done their job and brought companies into town using the corporate and employee payroll taxes as a means to establish money flow and revenue like most cities do, but I guess that would have been asking too much of a department that has accomplished very little, or, they just aren't smart enough to do that. Diversifying the types of employment opportunities should have been considered as Middletown has already learned that you can't place all the eggs in one basket....IE, only Armco/AK Steel and only paper mills as singular choices for livable wage employment and revenue generation.

I wouldn't be so quick on pulling the trigger on the Doug Adkins tribute show just yet. He has a long way to go to correct decades of incompetence from former city leaders, including his leader at one time, Gilleland, who was the queen dictator of one of the most inept administrations this city has seen in it's history.

Adkins will have his chance,and, assuming no progress is made in another year or two, even the rosy upbeat supporters will have had enough of him. Looking down the road, I believe it's a safe bet that it will be business as usual in another two years or more. There will be no change in thinking, ideas nor direction and the same time-worn failed attempts will still be on the table as we try them just one more time and see the same results. Has to be his way as we will still have the same people in power making the same idiotic decisions that got us nowhere for decades. History says this is so. The purge of leaders supporting the current city plan should have happened decades ago. New people with totally new ideas and focus should have been in place long ago. Instead, we are mired in the cesspool we are considered to be by other communities. We got this way by not purging the current line of thinking.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2015 at 9:23am

Analytical- Opportunities are plentiful in the pursuit of uplifting Middletown.  However, because of our nation's huge fiscal problems, it seems foolish to continue counting on millions in HUD dollars flowing into the city.  In this regard, I commend City Manager Adkins for reaching out to the business community, etc.  He will find real world and not governmental subsidy solutions.  Stay the course.

Analytical
Sorry but I’m not buying what you are selling. Middletown was already behind the 8 ball before the nation’s fiscal problems began. While communities around us cut staff, City Hall did nothing but dip into the rainy day fund.
Now you want me to believe that them boys at City Hall will not be going after any HUD money? Sorry sir, you have now over played your hand.
The last time I looked it was the City Managers job to reach out to the business community. I wish him the best of luck in getting investors …
however I’m against using more tax payers money to fund THEIR DOWNTOWN DREAM.

Mr. Adkins now has the power…it’s time for him to make the magic happen.

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2015 at 1:49pm
To the contrary Vivian Moon.  My point is that future federal annual budgets will show a long-overdue belt-tightening when it comes to HUD grants (and other categorical programs) for cities such as ours.  That's why a predominantly private sector based approach rather than the usual government dole is predicted and needed.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2015 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Analytical Analytical wrote:

To the contrary Vivian Moon.  My point is that future federal annual budgets will show a long-overdue belt-tightening when it comes to HUD grants (and other categorical programs) for cities such as ours.  That's why a predominantly private sector based approach rather than the usual government dole is predicted and needed.

So Analytical, are you predicting a reduction in the number of HUD Section 8 participants in Middletown? That would affect HUD landlords as to a reduced number of clients and a certain percentage of HUD rental property would no longer be needed in town.

I hope you are correct in your prediction. We certainly don't need the oversaturation of 1662 vouchers nor do we need the overabundance of Section 8 housing in town. It would be nice to see the number go down to around 700, which is the proper number for a town this size.

It would also force the city to insist that the econ dev dept acquire more suitable sources for city revenue in the form of attracting companies creating jobs and the tax revenues from both. This would be progressive and much more desired growth versus bringing in all the available government handout programs and making the city accountable to the government, poorer and more ghettolike.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2015 at 5:09pm
I would like to take us a little closer to paradise though:

https://youtu.be/GhUKuNRInSE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic