FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fewer teachers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fewer teachers
    Posted: Jun 16 2015 at 9:13am

Posted: 6:00 a.m. Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Fewer teachers may increase class sizes

Some districts, like Middletown, report millions in savings from teacher retirements.

By Rick McCrabb

Staff Writer

BUTLER COUNTY 

While Middletown City Schools could save as much as $2 million from its budget next school year, it will come at a cost: the loss of staffing positions will lead to slightly larger class sizes, union and school officials said.

For the first time in decades, school districts around the state are recruiting and hiring entry-level graduates to fill some of the vacancies left when more expensive veteran teachers retired, including Hamilton, Middletown and Lakota school districts locally.

As of Monday, a total of 53 teachers had either retired or resigned from Middletown City Schools. The district has said it will not replace 13 teaching positions, two paraprofessionals, three secretaries, one administrator, one psychologist and one tutor for a total savings of as much as $1,331,686 in salaries and $717,062 in benefits, according to Treasurer Randy Bertram.

Because of the reduction in staff, one to two more students will be enrolled in each class, Superintendent Sam Ison said. The average number of students per class will remain less than 25, a district goal, but some more popular classes will have more than 25 students, he said.

Ison said staff cutbacks will not impact the district’s curriculum offerings.

Reducing the district’s budget always is a priority, but Ison said the district will hire “the best teachers possible for our kids.”

Then he added: “We are very conscious of our programs and delivery.”

Dom Williams, president of the Middletown Teachers’ Association, said he was “disappointed” by the staff reductions because he hates to see “good teachers” leave the district, but he understood the decision because of dwindling enrollment and the district’s financial state.

In the past five years, enrollment in Middletown City Schools has dropped — from 6,737 to 6,510 this year, or 3.37 percent.

Human Resources Director Eric Gearhart has started interviewing teacher candidates. Those who are hired probably will have less experience, thus receive a lower salary, than the teachers they’re replacing, he said.

A first-year teacher with a bachelor’s degree in the Middletown district next school year will earn $34,495, Williams said. At the top of the pay scale, a teacher with 25 years experience, a master’s degree and 30 additional hours of graduate work, earns $74,510 in Middletown, he said.

Williams said the district lost some “very good” teachers for two reasons: higher compensation in neighboring districts and what he called the “current climate.”

When the school board was deciding whether to renew Ison’s contract earlier this year, a majority of the MTA membership publicly voiced their displeasure with the administration.

Since then, Ison has taken steps to improve communication between the administration and the teachers, Williams has said.

Williams said MTA members received a 1 percent raise in their base pay this year after losing 1 percent for two consecutive years and having their salaries frozen last year. Also, he said, the cost of health care compensation rose from 10 percent to 20 percent.

“We are well behind where we started five years ago,” he said of the 400 MTA union members.

In Hamilton, 34 teachers retired this year, about 10 more than average, said Carol Frazier, human resources secretary. She said all of the positions will be filled by less experienced staff, a move expected to save the district about $1 million. Treasurer Bob Hancock estimated the district will save $860,000 in salaries and $140,000 in benefits.

Lakota schools saw 48 teachers submit retirement letters earlier this month, and so far has hired 37 teachers, with others expected to be hired before the school year begins, said Randy Oppenheimer, a district spokesman.

In 2010, the state decided its public pension systems could not be sustained as veteran teachers neared retirement. When the pension-system changes began, eligible teachers who didn’t retire forfeited cost-of-living increases. Starting on July 1, 2015, teacher retirements will be based on their highest five years of salaries, not their best three years as it is now, Ison said.

That change has sent teachers out of the classroom and toward retirement. For the last decade, retirements averaged about 6,000 annually, but they peaked around 8,000 in 2012 and 2013, according to the Ohio Education Research Center.

It’s unclear how many teachers will need to be hired around the state. Ohio is expected to see the seventh sharpest decline in student enrollment in the next seven years, according to U.S. Department of Education projections.

Enrollment in the state has fallen an average of 1,500 students per year since 1995, according to the Ohio Education Research Center Report. The report indicates Ohio will need 700 fewer teachers each year through 2018 because of declining enrollment.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2015 at 9:57am
"Williams said the district lost some “very good” teachers for two reasons: higher compensation in neighboring districts and what he called the “current climate.”"

Specifically, identify the "current climate". What makes it so unappealing to the retention of teachers here? How long has it been tis way and how did it get to this point? How much more are the neighboring districts paying than Middletown?

The story tells us the numbers for Middletown retirements and retention, and tells us about Lakota retirements but does not mention if Lakota has any retention issues.

Adding one or two to the classroom shouldn't be that overwhelming for a teacher to handle should it?

How will the millions saved be used by the district?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
itsamee View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsamee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2015 at 11:19am
Vet,   
Part of the problem with retention in Middletown is this: The teachers who were hired over the last few years were pulled in to take a pay cut for several years in a row. Then, they got a freeze, then a wage increase that was pretty much taken back by a benefits cost increase.  
So, imagine you are a first year teacher who agreed to a $35,000 year salary in year one. Then, the next year, they took 1% of that. Then, the next year another 1%. Then the benefits cut comes in and you are making a grand less per year than when you started, but you now have three years under your belt.  
At that rate, you discover another district is hiring and you are now at a "step three" so your starting rate is (spitballing here) $37000 / year and you might actually see a step or 1% increase the next year.  
As for class size, it is worse than you might think. The class size has been increasing slowly over the last few years as teachers have been cut and not rehired (not just in Middletown). Teachers are already stretched and are now being asked to stretch again.  

Itsa me, mario!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2015 at 12:17pm
I've worked in the private sector the entire 47 years so far. Usually get 2-3% each year as an average with any private company employer. Smallest raise I ever received was a 0.5% raise back in 1993. (Wrote a letter to HR and copied my boss that stated that since my raise was so low, I thought the company needed the money more than I did so I was willing to have the .5% raise retracted from my pay to help them out. Needless to say, it wasn't appreciated but, then again, neither was their dam .5% raise.) Works both ways as to being insulted.

Now, in the last decade or so, the employers I have worked for, have asked the employee to pay more on the cost of the health care premium as well as the dental premium. My premium contribution costs for the best programs they offer is around $400 per month for medical and around $80 for dental and rising periodically. Those requests from the employer takes the raise away that they just got done giving you. Increased food costs, fluctuating gas prices, car repair costs, utility cost increases, ridiculous here lately, also negates any raises one gets in today's working environment, be it public or private sector. I can't put as much in my 401 retirement as I would like because I pay so much on my premium costs.

As for being stretched, and it seems on an ever-increasing basis, employers are asking the employees to take on more responsibility outside their normal job duties. I am a technician doing coatings testing, but this last year, I was asked to assume the receiving job in addition to the lab testing portion of my job. Never saw any additional money for the extra work I had assumed. Just the way it works in today's working world. They expect more for no more pay and it's them saying if you don't like it, we'll find another person who will do the job and you can leave. Employers don't care about their people. They consider today's worker as just a pair of hands to fill a specific need and pay you as little as they can get by with to fulfill the need, cringing on every payday. Three more years to deal with this and then I'll turn it over to the younger folks to deal with it. Feel sorry for the younger generation having to deal with today's working environment. Nothing to like about the way things have changed from years ago.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2015 at 2:20pm
IMO most employers DO care about their co-workers, particularly with small privately-owned firms. Problem being
1. Skyrocketing health care costs, especially for older, heavier often smoker employees. Cost % FAR exceeds shrinking profit %.
2. Increased govt regulation and taxes on the local, state and fed level
3. For many, an already tight profit margin/bottom line is being squeezed even more.
4. I didn't give raises for the last couple of years because that $$ was used to cover utility increases, new taxes/fees/permits, and health care increases(so honestly workers did get a raise--they didn't pay an     increased share).

2-3% increase every year, and you weren't happy Vet?
Having to help with recieving was asking too much?
Thee is no money tree out there
Be happy to have what you have--you are always free to search the market for something better
Yes--a lot has changed, and little of it has benefitted management or labor.
Only public sector and entitlements have grown
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2015 at 3:33pm
Spider:
"IMO most employers DO care about their co-workers, particularly with small privately-owned firms."

Never worked for a small privately owned firm. Smallest privately owned firm back in the 70's was Crane Plastics owned by a father and two sons. Had 400 employees at the time. Most of my employers were the Bayer Chemical, International Paper, Procter & Gamble size mega corporations.

Spider:
"2-3% increase every year, and you weren't happy Vet?"

Where did you get that from? Read my post again Spider. Never said I was or wasn't happy with 2-3%. Just said most employers have typically given that amount over the years. 2-3% is ok with me. Just said I was insulted by the 0.5% increase, Not enough based on my salary at the time to provide any more than pocket change.

Spider:
"Having to help with recieving was asking too much?"

Again, where did you get that? Once again, read my post. Never said that the additional receiving position was too much to ask. I merely stated that in today's working environment it is not uncommon to ask employees to shoulder more work tasks for no reward for doing so. Been doing it for over two years. No big deal now and have incorporated it into my lab work.

Spider:
"Be happy to have what you have--you are always free to search the market for something better"

Spoken with the employer/business owner mantra. Now here's the irony of it all Spider coming from the receiving end after hearing the same thing many times over the years........

Look at your first line of your post. Here it is.....

"IMO most employers DO care about their co-workers,".......

Now, let's take at look at this line from you........

"Be happy to have what you have--you are always free to search the market for something better"

Translation:

I care about you as an employee of my company.....

(But, I expect you to be happy with what I pay you although I know you are living from paycheck to paycheck and I'll use the money that was expected from me as a raise to pay for some utilities and for the business, etc.)

AND, there's the door, you aren't necessarily important to me as there is always some other pair of hands standing outside my business door that I can use as a fill-in.

IMO, this screams of non-importance as to employer/employee relations.
All in all, your reply to my post is in the traditional vein of thinking from an employer. To clarify, and before you misinterpret my meaning, this is neither good nor bad, just typical.

I won't care either way in about three years.   

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2015 at 2:04pm
Wow vet---u put your thinking up here, except that u have it coming from my mouth.
Simply not the saw.
Never how I felt or operated as an owner.

You obviously have no real picture of working relations from an owner/management view.
Most small business owners look out for their co-workers, and end up involved in MANY aspects of their lives, often helping out at levels far beyond work-related.
Owners all carry and bail out financial issues of staff. They don't really want to do it, but feel obligated to help. And it seldom works out for the boss.

Never expected anyone to be thrilled by their pay, but always try to explain/show the big picture of increasing expenses involved.
Just read about a community reeling from a 12% health care increase. Try to budget for that EVERY year while shrinking in revenue.

I pretty much worked for free(actually it cost me plenty staying open) for my last 2+ years in business, after taking a 50% pay cut prior.
Just to keep my co-workers going and hoping that business would change for the better.
Not looking for sympathy or praise--just an owner trying to keep it going.

Most that left me for "greener pastures" returned.
Few of my co-workers now have anything close to what they had in my business.

And then I have to look at the mess that has taken my place.

Labor--management not cookie-cutter
Plenty of good and bad on both sides
You wouldn't want to work with me
I wouldn't want to work with you
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2015 at 2:54pm
Spider:

"You obviously have no real picture of working relations from an owner/management view.
Most small business owners look out for their co-workers, and end up involved in MANY aspects of their lives, often helping out at levels far beyond work-related.
Owners all carry and bail out financial issues of staff. They don't really want to do it, but feel obligated to help. And it seldom works out for the boss."

You are correct Spider, I don't have a real picture of working relations from a SMALL BUSINESS OWNER/MANAGEMENT VIEW. I have never worked for that small of a company where the owner/company did anything close to helping out. The companies I have been affiliated with have all been too large and too disconnected to take on issues in an employee's personal life. They could care less about my financial issues or take an interest in my family. At the end of the day, they went their way and I went mine. We tolerated each other for the sake of doing the job. No lunches together....ever. Wouldn't know what to talk to them about. Same goes for them. Never took time to know each other. Both of us didn't care. We are coming from two different working worlds here. I never was a recipient of the "personal touch" you are alluding to. Not in corporate America.

Spider:

"I pretty much worked for free(actually it cost me plenty staying open) for my last 2+ years in business, after taking a 50% pay cut prior.
Just to keep my co-workers going and hoping that business would change for the better.
Not looking for sympathy or praise--just an owner trying to keep it going."

I understand the difficulties you had in running a small business and trying to keep it afloat. Couldn't have been easy on you to provide for your workers. Again, having nothing but big money, corporate American, Fortune 500 employers for the most part, I was never at risk to worry about my employer working hard each week to stay in business. A lot of money floating around big corporations and they aren't necessarily thrilled about sharing it with certain levels on down if you know what I mean. Middle to upper management usually got all the attention.

Again, I was never disappointed with a 2-3% raise that I typically received each year. Thought it was fair although it quickly disappeared with inflation.

Spider:

"Labor--management not cookie-cutter
Plenty of good and bad on both sides"

100% agree although taking into consideration I have had perhaps 20-25 different bosses in the last 47 years, I would go to the ends of the earth for only two. Oddly both named Norm. I trusted them. I had confidence they had my back when confronted by upper management and I just knew they were my friend. VERY RARE to have that feeling with most management. Most will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat and then have the audacity to expect loyalty. Mercy!!!!!

Spider:

"You wouldn't want to work with me
I wouldn't want to work with you"

Not so fast. You seem to me to be a straight talking, stand-up person who will tell it like it is. I respect that. Honesty with no hidden agenda is important in a boss/manager. Doesn't exist in 98% of the management I have been involved with over the years. If a manager has my trust and support, we are 95% home as to a working relationship that will actually be genuine. Overwhelmingly, I have never been able to trust any manager as they have all developed the same negative traits with a few adding a nasty personality to the mix.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic