FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

All America City

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2015 at 11:50am
Imo it is always groundhog day here in every sense
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2015 at 4:59pm
Marty? Needs to go. Can't think of any one that's put up more roads than he has. IMO
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2015 at 5:23pm
spiderjohn, one of the great aspects of living in Middletown is you can build a castle surrounded by water, drive 4 hrs to Chicago, 1.5 hrs to Lexington, Indy, or in 20 minutes escape to Cincinnati. There's great college sports 20-30 minutes away, the arts in either Dayton or Cincinnati, love Fraze and Aronoff, and check out of the groundhog day activities each day.  

Good point you made. Wake up. The end. 

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2015 at 7:03pm
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2015 at 8:46pm
Please read the Agenda for 2-03-2015...The HUD CONSOLIDATED PLAN
And then tell me again about the All American City of 2020
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2015 at 10:35am
I can make it work here Acclaro
Love my home-worth half of what I have in it
Lot of good places within an hour
Close to airports
Stefanos-johnnys-bbq central-middies
KISS
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2015 at 10:52am
Same boat you are in. House valued less than it was 25 years ago, pay nearly 550 Kk on insurance rebuild while tax value a fraction. 

Got your well made point. Same thing over and over isn't changing anything. Hit highway, enjoy what's around in short distance, throw in allegators in water surrounding castle, and core dump the insanity and utterly falsehoods coming out of the tower, aka 'its getting better.' 

The average life span for mankind will be 205 years before Middletown will ever be an All American city, with the biggest impediment being something as basic as roads being maintained to acceptable standards, disregarding crime, school performance, progress, and taxes.

Groundhog Day stale. Time out for me. Chow.        
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2015 at 11:35am
I like Marty K--I could work with him
Would take him out of decision-making, and use him to carry out my decisions lol
He is knowledgeable and would be a big help
Might work on his personal warm/fuzzy skills towards citizens
Everyone has value if positioned properly
MIDDPROUD View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIDDPROUD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2015 at 8:42am
I think its great that so many people on this site have great OPINIONS/IDEAS about all subjects city related.  Why don't all of you get out from behind your computer monitors and get in touch with Mr. Adkins and let him know how you the tax paying citizens of Middletown can solve all of the currant/future problems.

We all know the roads are bad, schools are bad, lack of police and fire protection, heroin epidemic ect.  These are all items everyone of us know exist.  All of you need to tell the city what they can do to raise capitol to improve and solve all of these issues.

You elected five people to council, to be your voices and they elected Mr. Adkins, six people to solve this cities issues.
There are 48,000 additional minds/ideas out here that need to be heard.  You all need to show up at city council meetings and tell the six in charge what you think needs to be done to solve these problems.

This is our city, we should be voicing our ideas.  If we feel our leaders are out of touch with the direction we want them to go, then tell them face to face!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2015 at 8:54am
We all know the roads are bad, the schools are bad, lack of police and fire protection, heroin problem ect.. These are all items everyone of us know exist.  All of you need to tell the city what they can do to raise capitol to improve and or solve all of the issues.

Hmmm....City Hall didn't want to hear from us BEFORE they spent all the money, raided all the funds and gave away all the buildings downtown.
MIDDPROUD View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIDDPROUD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2015 at 11:17am
Maybe we need new leadership!
Trotwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trotwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2015 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

Factguy: You better check with "Trotwood". He claims AK will be shut down to build the new Cin/Day International Airport, which will be the driver for the "brighter future" downtown!!!

(His fantasy has about the same chance as yours.)

Not quite Mr. Presta.

If Middletown wants to move forward, I don't see how AK can be a part of that future.

If the Cin-Day region wants to move forward, hosting a hub airport would help out a lot. And the footprint of AK Steel + Suncoke is about the same size as Harsfield-Jackson Airport in Atlanta. 

After all, if combined, the Cin-Day metroplex is the 14th largest metro in the US? And whose idea was it anyways to put the airport in KY??

Convert Cincinnati to a logistics hub airport for DHL and other carriers, and covert Dayton's to a drone testing zone.

But no, I don't believe having a hub airport in MIddletown would help its image one iota. Air pollution would simply become noise pollution instead. But at least people seem to be more tolerant of living near airports than steel mills.... ask city leaders in Gary IN and Hebron KY if you want confirmation there.
Trotwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trotwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2015 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by MIDDPROUD MIDDPROUD wrote:

We all know the roads are bad, 

Excellent points MIDDPROUD (as well as MiddMom and FactGuy, again I don't have a ton of time to read through everything but y'all seem very insightful, knowledgeable, and positive). But for now I'm boiling it down to this.

Has anyone come to city council yet with the idea to fix city roads by reducing their size??? Please tell me there is at least a proposal out there for this to happen.

The short list (IMO) of roads that need less lanes:

Grand Ave
Reinartz Blvd
University Ave
Lefferson Rd
Central Ave.

I'm sure there are others too.

Excessive road capacity makes no sense. Y'all are paying for it...
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2015 at 11:24am
Trotwood: Central Avenue is single-lane all the way from Cincinnati-Dayton Road through downtown, with some parking on both sides from just west of Breiel Blvd. Which shall we eliminate: parking or driving?   just 1 chmoore
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2015 at 12:44pm
Trotwood: it would cost more in funds to destroy/ remove lanes, than to maintain what exists presently. The traffic on Breihel, Roosevelt, University, and all major multiple lane roads in the city adequately meet the daily demands of traffic.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2015 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Trotwood Trotwood wrote:

Excellent points MIDDPROUD (as well as MiddMom and FactGuy, again I don't have a ton of time to read through everything but y'all seem very insightful, knowledgeable, and positive). But for now I'm boiling it down to this.

Has anyone come to city council yet with the idea to fix city roads by reducing their size??? Please tell me there is at least a proposal out there for this to happen.

Grand Ave
Reinartz Blvd
University Ave
Lefferson Rd
Central Ave.

Trotwood:

(Roosevelt), University and Breile Boulevards were put in place in the 60's by Bill Klosterman and company. They were built to allow a much faster way of getting around town with the increased speed limit of 45 and far fewer traffic lights than the old stop and go routes taken before they were built. IMO. these, above any mentioned should be held intact as they greatly speed up the process of getting around town in decent time.

I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2015 at 1:41pm
OR.....maybe we need to follow the law and use the funds for their intended purpose and fix the streets.
Trotwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trotwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2015 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by chmoore1 chmoore1 wrote:

Trotwood: Central Avenue is single-lane all the way from Cincinnati-Dayton Road through downtown, with some parking on both sides from just west of Breiel Blvd. Which shall we eliminate: parking or driving?   just 1 chmoore

Good point. Sorry, bad memory on my part.

BUT, eliminating parking on Central would not be a bad idea. This was recently done on Spring St. in Oxford, where bike lanes were added in place.

Before:

and After:
City to monitor bike lane use, safety

Trotwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trotwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2015 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Factguy Factguy wrote:

Trotwood: it would cost more in funds to destroy/ remove lanes, than to maintain what exists presently. The traffic on Breihel, Roosevelt, University, and all major multiple lane roads in the city adequately meet the daily demands of traffic.

Yes, it would. You are correct.

But who said anything about destroying or removing lanes? 

Keep the same infrastructure, just close half the road. Heck, don't even bother to pave the half with the bike path, just pave the other section.

And yes I agree closing lanes on Briel and Roosevelt would be moronic. But the ones I listed I don't see how there could be an issue. Again, I don't have traffic counts, but I do have a decent memory. They don't have many cars. Heck, Reinartz Blvd. could be shut down tomorrow and I doubt more than a dozen people would even bat an eye. Don't believe me? Here's a great visual of all the traffic it DOESN'T HAVE, just to give y'all an idea....

Trotwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trotwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2015 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Originally posted by Trotwood Trotwood wrote:

Grand Ave
Reinartz Blvd
University Ave
Lefferson Rd
Central Ave.

Trotwood:

(Roosevelt), University and Breile Boulevards were put in place in the 60's by Bill Klosterman and company. They were built to allow a much faster way of getting around town with the increased speed limit of 45 and far fewer traffic lights than the old stop and go routes taken before they were built. IMO. these, above any mentioned should be held intact as they greatly speed up the process of getting around town in decent time. 

Thanks for the perspective VietVet. The wide boulevards looked '60's era but I could never be sure. Nice to know for a fact.

But I am going to push back on the bolded statement. The speed limit on Grand is 35, which is probably the same as it would be as a 2-lane road. Same goes for Lefferson if I remember correctly. No one drives on Reinartz, so that's a non-issue. Honestly, if I was mayor the first thing I would do is throw a wild party on the Reinartz/Verity interchange and provide people with plenty of sledgehammers and cheap beer..... but that's beside the point.

University, sure, I can understand that being a tougher sell. But it runs almost entirely through residential areas on its northern end, and even to the south it's primarily residential or dead retail. It would be a great way to get people out of their cars and connected to one another.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2015 at 9:18pm
Oxford and it's bike riding on residential streets certainly seems to work...for Oxford with it's tranquil college town atmosphere and slower traffic speed. Middletown....not so sure it's a good match to have bike riders that close to faster moving traffic here. The town's don't match in the bike riding aspect. Middletown has the bike trail along the river making it safer for the bikers.

For a historical perspective, Grand Ave. use to be a two lane road in the 50's. I was living on Grand back then with the grandparents around the Dorset/Kensington St. areas. During that time, they made Grand a 4 lane road past where we lived out to the freeway and made the Armco truck route over on Roosevelt the main route to Wicoff. Grand use to be the truck route taken down to the Wicoff gate and the truck traffic was bad back then on Grand. Grand, when a two lane highway, use to go straight out to the freeway as you went past Marshall Rd. and was the only way out of town as Roosevelt and Grand never intersected as they do now.

An example of boulevard ease of travel, University Blvd. makes it much quicker to go from say....MUM to Woodside Cemetery. Following University and bearing south on University, you would turn right after the old Garfield school site to get to the cemetery. Relatively easy. Before, it would take some time to drive from these two points from the north/northeast side of town (MUM) to the south side (Woodside). The boulevard concept is widely used in cities such as Tucson as most major roads are three lanes a side with nicely done cactus and other desert vegetation with colored rocks in the median separation. I believe other western cities share this concept too.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2015 at 9:46pm
That was a concept Hamilton never could grasp. It took them 30 years to finally put the railway OVER High St. It could have benefited Hamilton so much to have 4-lanes around the city. Oh well at least that was one of smartest things Middletown could have ever done.
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2015 at 10:03pm
Trotwood: I'm confused; were you a resident of Middletown, or are you currently a resident? The reason I ask is that you don't understand the reason for Reinartz overpass. No one would "bat an eye" if we shut down Reinartz" except for emergency vehicles trying to cross the railroad tracks to get to the hospital (they still use Reinartz to get to Atrium), or get to a fire on the other side of the tracks. There are many trains that still pass through Middletown. Police use the overpass all the time to get from city hall to the other side of the tracks. All of the roads that you mention (except maybe Lefferson) are excellent ways to get around town. Now if you were arguing about "adding" a lane to the boulevard system, that would be a different issue. But to eliminate a lane on the streets that you mentioned (just to add a bike lane, and THEN not pave that area doesn't make sense.   just 1chmoore.
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2015 at 10:25pm
One of the most significant benefits to Middletown should be coming about by the end of 2015, when circular rout through Manchester will be funded by the state. This will expedite patient transfer to the Atrium significantly. The city has done studies to bring lane miles under 400, but to date, nothing conclusive has been considered, in part, because of expense, demolition if you will. We just missed the UHC move barely; they decided against Middletown and are moving to Blue Ash. 
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2015 at 11:09pm
Factguy...the UHC move was decided prior to your Jan 28 post and Middletown was not a serious contender.
Every morning is the dawn of a new error...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic