Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Friday, April 19, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MMF RAISING INVESTMENT FUNDS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MMF RAISING INVESTMENT FUNDS
    Posted: Dec 22 2014 at 3:04pm

Posted: 7:00 a.m. Monday, Dec. 22, 2014

Middletown community group raising funds to invest in city development

By Chelsey Levingston and Ed Richter

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN 

The community group Middletown Moving Forward recently obtained nonprofit status and is now raising money from donors to create a loan fund for investing in key city revitalization projects.

The efforts will make the organization a bigger player in local development, its leaders say. Gap financing from Middletown Moving Forward, coupled with a downpayment and private bank loan can help developers raise the capital they need to make job-creating investments such as renovating empty buildings.

The goal is to raise a total pot of $5 million worth of commitments from financial institutions, community foundations or other sources, said the group’s Interim Director Calista Smith. City government has not pledged any taxpayer dollars at this time for the investment fund, Smith said.

“Anything we can do to bring activity to Middletown that’s positive is going to make it a better place to live and a better place to locate… businesses,” said Ken Cohen, board president of Middletown Moving Forward and president of local scrap metal recycling company Cohen.

Typically, gap financing provides lower-interest capital with lengthier payback terms than traditional business loans to applicants that qualify. It’s not meant to be the sole source of financing. Funds will help cover the cost of redevelopment in commercial areas, including downtown, around Middletown Municipal Airport/Hook Field and along the Cincinnati-Dayton Road thoroughfare, Smith said.

“We’re making the rounds as our team of board members are introducing the concept to various financial institutions,” she said.

Smith said the program has been modelled after other funding programs such as Cincinnati’s 3CDC, Hamilton’s CORE Fund, and the Catalytic Fund in Northern Kentucky.

“One thing we have is that we already have a number of projects already in the pipeline,” she said. “We believe our fund will be able to give out more loans to projects underway such as the Goetz Tower and Manchester Inn renovation projects.”

Smith said she hopes that a year from now, the organization will be able to start accepting loan applications for these projects and others that are in progress.

Denise Hamet, Middletown’s economic development director, said a funding mechanism to partner with and help bridge the gap between the amount of capital funds from the developer and the amount a bank is willing to loan will help to bring projects to fruition as well as create jobs.

“I think it builds collaboration in the community and sends the message that redevelopment in the community is a priority,” she said.

Hamet said many projects, such as rehabbing or renovating a building, tend to cost more money and take patience as they require more time to complete.

One example is the Goetz Tower, located at the southeast corner of Central Avenue and South Main Street. Hamet said it took three years to assist the group redeveloping the seven-story downtown building to acquire about $1.2 million in state and federal historic preservation tax credits to leverage with their lender’s financing for the venture. The redevelopment project will convert the second through the seventh floors into 24 market-rate apartments, as well as create retail, restaurant and other commercial space on the first floor. Construction is to begin in March and will take 18 months to complete.

Hamet also said the airport is another area where the city is stepping up its efforts. She said there is a need to build more hangars and other structures to possibly attract aerospace-based companies to locate there.

“New projects are emerging every day,” Hamet said. “Our message is that it takes a village to get a project off the ground.”

The Goetz Tower project will be key in continuing to revitalize downtown in conjunction with other projects such as the Manchester Inn renovation as well as the Snider Ford/Sonshine Building project to convert it into a microbrewery and brewpub, Hamet said.

“It’s all interconnected,” she said. “One (project) is going to help another.”

Middletown Moving Forward formed in 2005 as a community improvement corporation to advance, promote, and encourage industrial and commercial economic development activities. Its board members consist of private and public sector leaders.

Its board has met several times with Mike Dingeldein, executive director of the CORE Fund in Hamilton, he said.

Launched in December 2012, Hamilton’s Consortium for Ongoing Reinvestment Efforts (CORE) Fund is a private nonprofit that has raised more than $6 million to acquire blighted properties and make non-traditional loans to developers for projects in the area of High and Main streets.

Unlike CORE Fund, Middletown Moving Forward’s activities would not be restricted to downtown investment. Nor does the Middletown group have plans at this point to buy vacant buildings, Cohen said.

CORE Fund also has money available to make nontraditional loans, but has yet to issue its first one.

“I think what we’ve learned since we started is that we aren’t what we thought we would be just because we didn’t know how it would go,” Dingeldein said.

By taking the risk of acquiring buildings directly, the CORE Fund has been able to ready the properties for development — cleaning-up, doing some restoration work, settling liens and completing environmental studies — faster.

“For us clearly it’s been putting property and buildings and projects in a place where they can get legs under them. It’s real easy to imagine great projects, but it’s hard to get them up off the ground,” Dingeldein said.

MIDDLETOWN MOVING FORWARD BOARD MEMBERS

·                       Ken Cohen, board president;

·                       Mayor Larry Mulligan Jr., board vice president;

·                       Denise Hamet, board treasurer;

·                       Debbie Garitson, board secretary; and

·                       the following board trustees: Dora Bronston, Matt Eisenbraun, Rick Fishbaugh, Dennis Gamble, Judy Gilleland, Greg Martin, Dan Nix, Rick Pearce, John Sawyer, Mike Stautberg, Tom Swope, David VanArsdale, Anita Scott-Jones and Calista Smith.

SOURCE: www.middletownmovingforward.com

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2014 at 3:32pm

Oh, I have a lot of comments about this article as soon as I pull all my research.

So we will start with the current balance of the Downtown Fund as of today.
It is $388,013.51

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2014 at 3:46pm
Its bridge funding, not 'gap'.

No private equity nor vc would ever pass on funding any venture providing a good multiplier, 3x-5x or >.

A non profit such as MMF, or a non profit such as Grassroots Ohio, borrows capital or needs capital, because there business model and capital investment needs, are poor and raising issues associated with ROI and risk. Pretty simple.

Capital flows to high return. Capital gets held when the return is questionable. How does a non profit like Grassroads Ohio qualify as a non profit when its stated goal, is to lease high end property, or what is the benefit of operating a lease property as a non profit? Same with micro-brewery.

Greenville needed $50 Mm in capital. Don't see $ Mm coming from private investors nor a bank. Stste and fed provide tax credits, not capital. Plans.... not execution seems consistent outcome. 
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2014 at 7:34am

Updated: 6:06 p.m. Friday, Dec. 7, 2012 | Posted: 8:00 a.m. Sunday, Dec. 9, 2012
Downtown champion, local bank make ownership dream possible

By Michael D. Pitman
Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN

The Liberty Restaurant — once a long-time institution in downtown but has opened and closed three times since 2000 — has a new owner who believes she has the right recipe to have sustained success in fulfilling her dream thanks to an economic development program.

Sally Hollon is the first business owner to be accepted for a micro loan, a program of Downtown Middletown Inc. and First Financial Bank.

“I basically had no money to open this place,” said Hollon, who worked 14 years at Stefano’s and nearly four decades in the business before trying her hand as an owner. “They came up with this loan … and the money they gave me is what I’m using to get my food and everything in this building.”

Downtown Middletown is experiencing some of the strongest redevelopment efforts seen since the city took the roof off the City Centre Mall more than a decade ago, and DMI has played a significant role in some of the current redevelopment efforts.

In September, the downtown champion partnered with First Financial to offer $100,000 in micro loans to current or potential downtown businesses to help spur local economic development. Hollon was granted by First Financial the maximum loan amount of $10,000, said DMI Director Patrick Kay.

“We’re here to make sure that businesses fit within downtown,” he said.

Interested businesses submit plans to Downtown Middletown Inc., and if they approve of the plan, the business owner makes the loan application to the bank — though there’s no guarantee the one-time loan will be approved.

Restaurants will be a key component in the downtown’s success, Kay said. By this spring, he said there will be seven restaurants in the downtown between ones that exist now and those that will be open by early 2013.

“When you’re bringing economic development anywhere, you’ve got to start with your anchors,” he said. “Restaurants are the anchors for the downtown, any downtown.”

Hollon will be the face of the Liberty Restaurant as the new owner, but the musical instruments and pictures of musical icons that adorn the warm, bright red walls of the restaurant won’t be the reason she believes she will be successful.

Several restaurant-industry friends who will work for her preparing and serving the made-from-scratch menu items with Amatulli Produce products. But what probably will drive people to the Liberty Restaurant, Hollon said, is what the restaurant has been known for: the famous Liberty Hot Dogs.

“We have the original chili recipe,” she said. “It will be the same hot dogs they served 50 years ago.”

But Hollon hopes the “down-home cookin’” will also keep people coming back. Her menu’s specialty, stuffed burgers, will be complimented by various plate specials, including meatloaf, chicken and dumplings, pork chops and stuffed peppers.

The Liberty was started by Irene Valen, the mother of retired 12th District Court of Appeals Judge Tony Valen, and after being open for more than eight decades, it closed in 2000 — then again after two short-lived resurrection attempts in 2004 and 2007.

When the restaurants reopens, which is expected to be on Dec. 17, Hollon hopes it will last as long — if not longer — as its eight-decade first run.

“I’ve worked in restaurants all my life, and it’s been a dream to own one,” said Hollon, who started in the business as a teenager in her home state of Florida. “I had an opportunity to run one a few years ago … and I passed on it. But nothing’s holding me back, now.” 

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2014 at 7:46am

Downtown Middletown Inc.
Statement of Revenues and Expenses

http://www.downtownmiddletown.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Annual-Report-2013-1.pdf

How many loans have been given by Downtown Middletown Inc?
Please remember that City Hall gives money to this organization every year from the Downtown Fund.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2014 at 9:25am

Agenda
September 21, 1999

Page 2

5. Fiscal Officer’s Certificate. In connection with proposed issue of $10,590,000 bonds to pay costs of the reestablishment of a substantial part or all of Central Avenue and Broad Streets, for acquisition of property, for demolition and removal of a substantial part or all of the City Centre Mall, renovation thereof and all costs necessary or incidental thereto; that the estimated life or period of usefulness of the improvement is at least five years, and the estimated maximum maturity of the Bonds, calculated in accordance with Section 133.20 of the Revised Code
is thirty (30) years.

6. Ordinance No. , an ordinance providing for the issuance and sale of not to exceed $10,590,000 bonds for the purpose of paying costs of the construction of street improvements and the necessary demolition, property acquisition and other activities related thereto implementing the Downtown Urban Renewal Plan, as amended from time to time, and declaring an emergency.

Question: After 16 years what is the current balance of this debt?

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2014 at 9:48am
The goal is to raise a total pot of $5 million worth of commitments from financial institutions, community foundations or other sources, said the group’s Interim Director Calista Smith. City government has not pledged any taxpayer dollars at this time for the investment fund, Smith said.

Miss Smith you're kidding, right? 
Miss Smith, since you have so much faith in this Downtown Investment Plan, how much of your own hard cash are you going to invest?
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2014 at 11:22am
To my knowledge, it doesn't even appear MMF has ever submitted an annual report to the state since their initial founding.

Foundations would provide capital to start-ups downtown for what reason----do they not expect a return?

This whole downtown picture appears to be a spin. We are doing something, lots of buzz, but little occurring. Years to get tax credits, lots of non profits involved. Didn't know First Financial was able to give 100,000 out at low interest or no review of risk.

The Land of Oz----smoke, mirrors, and pulleys.  
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2014 at 9:31am

Ah yes that dirty little four letter word RISK …
If MMF can get people to invest in what I believe to be HIGH RISK investing then more power to them.
City Hall doesn’t mind risking tax payer’s money in THEIR DOWNTOWN DREAM with no ROI...for goodness sakes they could even break even on these deals

Acclaro, when I first came on this blog I thought many were just ill informed of the facts…then I thought they were in denial. However after you have provided the cold hard facts it’s Cognitive Dissonance, where the brain filters out information it’d rather not know. As you know Cognitive Dissonance occurs when evidence clearly shows that your assumptions have been wrong.

In other words...time for a better plan...Middletown is going broke

over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2014 at 10:33am
I think i'll just go set down by our lovely river front entertainment venue and have my self a nice Merlow and watch the sunset. Care to join me.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2014 at 10:41am
Over the Hill
Sorry I can't join you right now I'm busy playing with the brandy and rum bottles this morning.
Merry Ho! Ho! Ho! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic