FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MIDDLETOWN MOVIE THEATER

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MIDDLETOWN MOVIE THEATER
    Posted: Mar 08 2014 at 7:18am

Plans spiked for Middletown movie theater

By Chelsey Levingston

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN — 

A developer eyeing Middletown to build a 12-screen, state-of-the-art movie theater has terminated its contract with the city, and won’t be opening the cinema after all.

“There was a lack of tenant interest” from a movie theater operator or restaurants for the site near the interstate, said Lamar Fields, a representative of Texas-based Anthony Properties, the developer involved.

Anthony Properties was looking to buy city-owned land for the project, build out the theater and retail space, and lease it to a movie theater chain and other complementary businesses.

Fields did not give a reason for why dining and entertainment venues weren’t attracted to Middletown.

“Hopefully as the economy perhaps begins to improve, that situation there would improve along with it,” Fields said. “There’s not much to say. If you cannot generate tenant interest, you cannot go forward.”

“I will say this, the city certainly did everything they could to help us,” he said.

The change of course is not expected to seriously hurt development near the highway intersection, where the theater was planned, city officials say. Efforts are being made to further develop the area of Ohio 122 and Interstate 75, known as the Renaissance District, with more office, health and retail businesses.

There have been wins and losses. Hampton Inn opened in the same area in 2013.Investors related to Lebanon developers Henkle Schueler & Associates bought land last year with intentions of attracting high-tech industrial and research and development clients, as well as medical-related businesses.

But more recently, Reyton Inn closedTarget store is closingThe new owners of Towne Mall Galleria west of the highway interchange have struggled to land major retail tenants.

“While we had anticipated that the movie theater would help draw services such as restaurants to the interchange, we don’t feel that its pullout will seriously affect development,” said Denise Hamet, Middletown economic development director, in an email. “We have new landowners moving forward to market their sites, new homes being built in the area, and an interchange enhancement project about to start that will add softscaping and hardscaping to the interchange.”

Plans were to build the movie theater west of the interchange near Atrium Medical Center and the Renaissance housing subdivision. In July of last year, City Council approved a contract to sell 18 acres of city-owned land east of I-75, east of Union Road and south of Ohio 122 for the project. The buyer in the deal was Anthony Properties, which specializes in building and leasing movie theater properties across the country. The land sale price would have been approximately $1.5 million.

However, the contract included a due diligence period for further research such as soil testing, traffic studies and marketing for what would have been a $10 million to $12 million investment. Both parties — the city and Anthony Properties — could have backed out of the contract by the end of the time period allowed for vetting. Anthony Properties terminated the deal before the end of 2013, Fields, representing the developer, said.

Since the movie theater development deal fell through, the city has contracted with Cassidy Turley Commercial Real Estate Services to market the city-owned land for office and small commercial development, Hamet said.

over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2014 at 10:28am
“While we had anticipated that the movie theater would help draw services such as restaurants to the interchange, we don’t feel that its pullout will seriously affect development,” said Denise Hamet, Middletown economic development director, in an email. “We have new landowners moving forward to market their sites, new homes being built in the area, and an interchange enhancement project about to start that will add softscaping and hardscaping to the interchange.”
                                                                                                                                                                                                            Wow Ms Hamet certainly has a Pollyanna approach to the setbacks the city is experiencing. I hope she has more than landscaping on the horizon.
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2014 at 10:54am
It's called tow the company line. Be a "yes" man/woman. AKA job preservation.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2014 at 10:54am
The ramifications of this study to my knowledge, is the fact it is the first study conducted objectively. MUM and their research group never puts out anything, no focus groups are ever held. sj had this info and called it correctly; why did the city not make this info available when it was known in late December of 2013?

This is a crushing study for Middletown. A study reveals there is not enough off ramp traffic to support retail, and the theater. Expected of course, but a true, objective, feasibility study states Middletown cannot sustain retail transactions making it a worthy investment.

Now, what does that tell the owners in the Towne Mall (retailers)?

What does that tell the folks that got the 1.00 Manchester when a hotel by 75 cannot sustain traffic? Why would it in downtown---AKS is gone, going to be flooded by C State students, and retirees? No way.

Since 2000, city leaders and council, have been a complete and utter failure. Not one achievement.

Of course this study simply stated what anyone who is objective knew. Few want anything to do with Middletown.

Get ready for the May election and vote down the school tax levy. Everything is in decline, and paying for a school while your valuation has been ruined by Middletown doesn't make sense.

The study was right----as was FORBES. Its dead.
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2014 at 11:56am
we aren't "dead, but hardly moving in the right direction. Particularly on the east end--they seem to be realizing/experiencing what many of us doing biz within the city solely from locals have trended for 10 years.
It ain't pretty......

As acclaro stated--the movie complex has been dead for quite a while--old news now, and it only piles on to a recent series of setbacks now in that area.

I am seriously bummed to be out of my lifelong business, but I probably stayed too long only because I could--not the best logical reason. Any comeback would happen too late down the road for me to appreciate, + my facility/equipment was out-dated. Could not significantly improve and achieve payback within my lifetime.

As for city bunker reaction--as Neil stated--what would u expect them to say? Make it as hopeful as possible--why not? and probably the best way to look at it.

Warm weather is approaching and most of my favorite local hangouts are picking up after a brutal beginning of year stretch. I still have a surprise business property in a great location--I am not gone yet. I live here and can do something entertaining, fun and less demanding.

And the Middies are poised for a good game 2night which would probably lead to an epic match-up with #1 Moeller next Wed. Remember--we have beaten them twice in the last 3 years, and the year prior, handed them their worst homefield loss in the football playoffs. We are in their heads--our senior class(Vince, Chance,Khylan) could end their hs careers by beating them 3 times in 4 years.......

can't wait!

And we still have the MU-M/MU-H music series--Keb Mo and the Goo Goo Dolls to go here, and a great lineup in the making for next year.
+ a great summer ahead @ the Music Club and hopefully on the rooftop @ At the Square!

c u there!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic