Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Wednesday, April 24, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hamilton vs Middletown - Economic Dev. Strategy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hamilton vs Middletown - Economic Dev. Strategy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Trotwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trotwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hamilton vs Middletown - Economic Dev. Strategy
    Posted: Mar 04 2014 at 10:18pm
I figure this thread would be a good comparative look between Middletown and the city. Hamilton is arguably becoming a success story, and Middletown... is still struggling. 

Recently, it was announced in Hamilton that yet another building downtown is going to be renovated with a tenant in place. More here:
http://www.journal-news.com/news/news/home-decor-shop-coming-to-downtown-hamilton/nd5h5/

I can already hear the complaining about the $150k subsidy, but keep in mind this isn't the only story. Check it out:
http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,20445.msg699088.html#new
It's a large (and not complete) compilation of positive developments in historic Hamilton. There's a lot going on. And there's a lot Middletown can learn.

1.  Invest in quality of life infrastructure - like their music pavilion on the river edge. Great space for people to hang out and listen to some music, even if it is not a big act. In the process of attending the concert and being a participant, money is spent. In the process, concert goers feel a connection to their city and each other, which builds community. When was the last time Towne Mall or Briel Blvd. ever built any community?

2.  Foster creativity - it's an easy formula. Cheap, undesirable space + poor, but creative people = filled, desirable space. Imagine how much more productive the strip center with the former Hill's and Kroger off Briel across from AK would be if it was free R&D space. So Joe Blow could come in, bring some tools, and build things to sell. Maybe even become successful in the process, hire some employees, and create good-paying jobs right here in Middletown. Hamilton is effectively doing this with its new Artspace project. Why doesn't Middletown step it up a notch and put the focus on manufacturing?

3.  Aggressively pursue state money - like really aggressively. Even in ways where Middletown, according to a quick read of the requirements, is not even remotely qualified. Hamilton is trying hard to get any state money it can scrape up. Look at its green initiatives. $2 mil in state funding to "become more green" (read - $2 mil straight toward improving decrepit facilities that's NOT coming from individual taxes). It's a no-brainer, leverage every cent you can get. Even if the rules say you can't.

4.  Proper signage / streetscaping. I saw in the I-75 thread that this was getting bashed. And honestly, I agree - but the reason why I agree is because the nature of the interchange does not lend itself well to having landscaping improvements make an impact. But in neighborhoods, sure. For instance, the neighborhood by where the hospital used to stand is beautiful. But what's its name? You may say no one cares, but what about the funding and accreditation that comes with being a certified historic neighborhood? Look at German Village in Hamilton. Without those signs and landscape improvements, no one would even know it exists. But now it makes a statement, a statement of "this is a nice neighborhood". Property values go up there. Property values go up near there. And then it spirals (in a good way).

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 4:15am
Sorry, Trotwood, but you struck out again.

1. Middletown already has a "music pavilion on the river edge"!!! It's called the AK Pavillion at Bicentennial Commons. Unfortunately, it has not been used for years. However, there are regularly performing arts groups presentations at Towne Mall.

2. "Creativity" is actually suppressed in Middletown by City Hall. Unless the "creativity" fits into their extremely narrow model, they squash all attempts at anything new or different.

3. You apparently do not understand taxes. Whether it is local, state or federal, ALL government money comes from "individual taxes". Even corporate taxes are priced into the goods and services provided and are ultimately paid by individual consumers. Corporations are nothing more than tax collectors who pass the money along to the government.

4. There is really nothing any more "historic" about neighborhoods here than any other similar sized city in America. The most "historic" things that occurred in Middletown happened in the steel and paper mills that you (and others like you) seem to abhor. What you seem to call "historic" neighborhoods really are just the areas where Middletown's captains of these industries lived. Nothing more...nothing less. Just being old doesn't make something historic, it just makes it old.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 6:37am
Trot: 1. Invest in quality of life infrastructure - like their music pavilion on the river edge. Great space for people to hang out and listen to some music, even if it is not a big act. In the process of attending the concert and being a participant, money is spent. In the process, concert goers feel a connection to their city and each other, which builds community. When was the last time Towne Mall or Briel Blvd. ever built any community?

Mike mentioned the AK Pavillion, which, along with the idea of Lake Middletown has proven to be a bust. The Broad St Bash is where people come together to listen to music. Already in place and successful by Middletown standards.

Trot: 2. Foster creativity - it's an easy formula. Cheap, undesirable space + poor, but creative people = filled, desirable space. Imagine how much more productive the strip center with the former Hill's and Kroger off Briel across from AK would be if it was free R&D space. So Joe Blow could come in, bring some tools, and build things to sell. Maybe even become successful in the process, hire some employees, and create good-paying jobs right here in Middletown. Hamilton is effectively doing this with its new Artspace project. Why doesn't Middletown step it up a notch and put the focus on manufacturing?

Gotta get the owners to let the people use all of these vacant stores. So far, I haven't seen any real effort in advertising as to occupancy in the vacant downtown stores nor the old Hills/Kroger strip mall. The owners don't seem to be in any hurry to get the stores filled. In both locations, the property has been sitting for decades. Same goes with the old Target down on S. University. It would appear that the owners don't want the stores occupied judging by the length of time they have been empty.

Trot: 3. Aggressively pursue state money - like really aggressively. Even in ways where Middletown, according to a quick read of the requirements, is not even remotely qualified. Hamilton is trying hard to get any state money it can scrape up. Look at its green initiatives. $2 mil in state funding to "become more green" (read - $2 mil straight toward improving decrepit facilities that's NOT coming from individual taxes). It's a no-brainer, leverage every cent you can get. Even if the rules say you can't

Hey! You don't have to tell the Middletown leaders about pursuing any grant/ fed/ state or any other money taps. They are the experts when it comes to the search for easy money. That's in lieu of producing city revenue the old fashioned way.....job creation and the corporate and payroll taxes that come with it. Middletown leaders have made more of an attempt at asking the feds, the state and any other government source to send money than they ever have on creating sources on their own. Totally dependent on others while making little effort on their own as to revenue generation.

Trot: 4. Proper signage / streetscaping. I saw in the I-75 thread that this was getting bashed. And honestly, I agree - but the reason why I agree is because the nature of the interchange does not lend itself well to having landscaping improvements make an impact. But in neighborhoods, sure. For instance, the neighborhood by where the hospital used to stand is beautiful. But what's its name? You may say no one cares, but what about the funding and accreditation that comes with being a certified historic neighborhood? Look at German Village in Hamilton. Without those signs and landscape improvements, no one would even know it exists. But now it makes a statement, a statement of "this is a nice neighborhood". Property values go up there. Property values go up near there. And then it spirals (in a good way).

The neighborhood where the hospital use to be is called the Highlands. It is filled with rich folks who can keep their properties up on their own without the historic designation and monetary help. I believe it has this label despite that fact. Helping historic areas like the Highlands and the S. Main St. residents only help those areas of town. Don't see how the majority of us benefit from taking care of the wealthy people's property for them through grants, etc. Property values go up if we post signs telling everyone this is a nice neighborhood you say? What about the rest of us in town who live in nice neighborhoods? No one helping us but we, the owners, as to "niceness". Again, let the rich people in the historic neighborhoods take care of their own houses like we have to do. Case in point......the S. Main St people want old fashioned street lights in their area (which, by the way, aren't accurate). The city wants ALL OF US to pay for their lights. If the dam S. Main St people want their lights, let them open up their wallet. I'm not getting any benefit at all from them having new lights. I live in the east end, miles away from the S. Main St area. I don't care about their neighborhood and have no interest in helping them prosper.....just as they have no interest in my area of town.

Want to really help Middletown and level the playing field with Hamilton and other communities? LIVABLE WAGE JOB CREATION........MORE LIVABLE WAGE JOB CREATION......."YA JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH LIVABLE WAGE JOB CREATION"...... FIX THE STREETS AND SEWERS.......REDUCE THE CRIME AND GET THE DRUGGIES OUT OF HERE.......GET THE OVERSATURATION OF SECTION 8 OUT OF HERE........CLEAN UP THE GHETTO IMAGE ITEMS-- IE- DILAPIDATED HOUSES, JUNK CARS, TRASH LAYING AROUND.......STOP CONCENTRATING ON THE DAM DOWNTOWN AND START PAYING ATTENTION TO THE REST OF THE CITY......WORK THE EAST END/FREEWAY AREA TO IT'S FULLEST POTENTIAL.......FOCUS ON GETTING A HIGHER CLASS OF CLIENTELE IN TOWN WITH THE AMENITIES THAT GO ALONG WITH THAT....... WORK WITH EXISTING/NEW BUSINESSES INSTEAD OF FIGHTING WITH THEM EVERY STEP OF THE WAY-INVITE THEM IN/ HELP THEM OUT......RETAIN THE PROPER POLICE AND FIRE SERVICES.......MAKE AN EFFORT TO "POLISH THE IMAGE OF THE CITY" MOVING FROM LOW INCOME GHETTO TO AT LEAST RESPECTABLE MIDDLE CLASS. IMO, THAT'S A START TO BRINGING THIS CITY OUT OF THE HOLE IT IS IN NOW.

OH, DID I MENTION LIVABLE WAGE JOB CREATION?   
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Miami9 View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miami9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 11:21pm
Trotwood, I agree with you that Hamilton has been agressive with reinventing themselves since the arrival of Joshua Smith as city manager.

Hamilton annually produces an "Intiatives Update" that provides a very good overview of the projects going on in the community. Link to 2014 update: http://www.hamilton-city.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=4707

Hamilton has a big advantage by owning all utilities. Not only are gas and electric prices significantly cheaper inside city limits (compared to Duke, DP&L, and the rest of Ohio), but the city can use electric rider funds for economic development. Other communities have to compete for ED grants from Duke, etc., but Hamilton funds much of their ED staff and a number of initiatives under that umbrella.

When you look at downtown development, Hamilton was fortunate a few years ago to get some interest from a Canton developer in driving the Mercantile and Journal-News projects. Now the city utilities, foundation, and banks (First Financial & US) have created the CORE fund to invest in redevelopment projects, without using direct city funds. This is somewhat similar to the 3CDC model in Cincinnati that has been largely successful at renovating blocks of Over-the-Rhine. Approximately $7 million has already been capitalized, with most of the funds coming from the foundation and banks.

When Imflux (a P&G affiliate) made the decision to locate 220 jobs in Hamilton after they sought a zoning change to locate in West Chester Township, that told me these small steps are getting some attention.

Middletown has been replicating some of the same patterns and I think those decisions will start to provide positive results. These initiatives are just driven with less overall momentum, it seems, and the city has significant liabilities that Hamilton does not face (hundreds more road lane miles than Hamilton to maintain, larger EPA storm water/sewer mandates, non-centralized downtown, canal issue, legacy of failed projects (Centre City, Lake Middletown), not county seat, etc.). Middletown still wins on location (right on I-75) and probably has a better industrial/manufacturing mix.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 8:52am
thanx, Miami
interesting read with many excellent points that I had not considered

fair and balanced--objective--no stones thrown

very nice contribution!
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 11:51am
Miami9,
      I concur with Spiderjohn. Your last paragraph is the most positive and fair summation of Middletown I have heard in a long time. You have made an important contribution to the discussion as to where we have arrived and I would like to hear your view as to how and where we can move forward to bring our city some growth and jobs understanding that city leadership does not want growth. They want to shrink the city population and activity. They don't want manufacturing and are not accomplishing what Fairfield, Hamilton and Monroe are now accomplishing. There is not a lot of growth in the economy at this time but others are getting a larger and better share than we are. I hope we will get a new city manager that they will instruct to expand the growth of the city following Fairfield and Hamilton's approach.. We have given sufficient money and attention to downtown and now need to enlarge the circle of effort to everywhere beyond downtown.
     I also thank you for your views.
     Paul Nagy
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 11:55am
Miami9,                                                                    Thank you for a refreshing commentary.            
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 12:27pm
Both are very aged industry based. Hamilton as some advantage of course with supplying power as M9 stated, and can lower it for industry. Hamilton won the PG sub only because West Chester did not want to change the zoning to a less restrictive manufacturing zone. A win by forfeit of West Chester.

Hamilton is winning the pr campaign but still isn't competitive with Mason nor West Chester. What is their driver? 0% local tax. That is the differentiator neither Hamilton nor Middletown will ever have. Heavy industry? It goes to Hamilton or Middletown.    
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 5:02pm
Paul Nagy,
I don't understand why you think Middletown doesn't want growth. My experience is that the city leaders are working hard to try and grow the city (unfortunately they don't have much to show for their efforts). I do think that they want to shrink the section 8 population and grow the middle class and this may result in a net population reduction. To say they don't want growth I think is a mischaracterization.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 5:21pm
processor, while I am certain Paul Nagy needs none of my support, I read his response and found it to be quite positive and complimentary.

The city's expenditures downtown have been mind numbing to be candid and have yielded nothing.

The middle-class of Middletown did well years ago when the strength of the strong union presence and strong manufacturing base created it. It  no longer exists. So how is the city doing anything positive to create a new demand from middle class professionals? Art downtown? A restaurant?

Middletown will see an erosion of substantial wealth income in upper and middle-class going forward, which will result in about 29,000 residents. Wanting something to happen and making it happen, are two different outcomes.

PN and M9 were spon on. With one exception; I see no advantage Middletown has being near 75 than Hamilton, that 129 doesn't rectify.   

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
Miami9 View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miami9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by acclaro acclaro wrote:

Hamilton won the PG sub only because West Chester did not want to change the zoning to a less restrictive manufacturing zone. A win by forfeit of West Chester.

I don't belive this is the case, this article indicates that West Chester Township approved the zoning for Imflux:

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 9:09am
Miami9, as I began my career at PG as a Brand Mgr, and I know the CEO relatively well at Imflux, or the accelerator model PG put in place he ran, incubators and such, here's what I know:

1) West Chester was a little late making the zoning change, the Hamilton movement already had begun.

2). Hamilton provided space per sq ft that crushed the former BAE bld they were in.

3) Ohio and Kasish and his ED team sweetened the tax credits to help Hamilton stabilize.

The comparison was what Hamilton was doing that Middletown was not, a small SWAT analysis. Imflux was not a win by Hamilton by creativity as much as they gave the company almost free rent, equal or great Ohio Tax Credits already earmarked for Butler Cty.  
Trotwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trotwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2014 at 1:44pm
Miami9, thanks for all the info! I do not have an inside perspective of Hamilton, so I appreciate the insight. I was just observing what I have witnessed happening there and threw out some ideas I have seen from other locales for consideration.

Mike_Presta and VietVet, I will get back to you guys soon. Need to pull up some examples of how these proposals worked with tax codes, local laws, etc. If I can't find anything then I guess what I said is hearsay.

But my basic point in posting this thread is that there is a lot of positive movement, and it seems like Middletown is slowly capitalizing on some of it. But a whole lot more could be done. And on this forum, I see a lot of criticizing of what gets done without much appreciation for new developments. 

Considering people within Middletown government, people and businesses considering relocating to Middletown, etc. probably read this site for a gauge of the local climate, it seems like an apt place to discuss some concrete ways to make Middletown better. After all, it is my place of birth and I want it to be the best it can be. And I don't know if a couple more jobless smokestacks and a wind-tunnel carny attraction are going to cut it.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2014 at 8:01pm
Well Trotwood, I guess a wind tunnel may not be top dollar imployment, but hey, it's good clean fun so I say welcome it. Every little bit helps. If word spreads maybe that brings something else and then something. So, let's crawl first if we have too. Maybe we'll be "the fun capital" of the state.LOL
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2014 at 11:43am
Speaking of money coming in what's going on down on Main St. Have they reduced the speed limit down to 25 or has it always been 25 on Main St. They put up speed meters to show you your speed, that can only mean one thing, the cruisers are next to write tickets. We have to up the revenues in the city since they seem to have lost some of the funds they applied for.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2014 at 9:10pm
I heard the reason the speed limit was lowered on So. Main St. Is because the little click on Main St. wants to stop the traffic on Main St. they want the traffic to go to Univerity instead of past their houses. They are definitely out of control down there. Why don't they just turn that into a private drive then they can be responsible for the up keep and only those residents can drive there.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2014 at 5:32am
That's strange!!!

When they were trying to justify re-paving S. Main Street in the so-called "historic district" (when so many more heavily travelled streets needed it worse), this same group was claiming that S. Main was the "main entry to the city"!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2014 at 10:24am
And now they don't want it it to be the main entry into the city. Excuse us we changed our mine, and we always get our way.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic