FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Midfest

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Midfest
    Posted: Oct 01 2012 at 6:10am
Article in the Journal...

MiddFest has economic, image impact

MIDDLETOWN —
Middletown is in the midst of recreating its identity downtown as an arts and educational hub, and MiddFest is a big part of the city’s identity and its economy, officials said.

It’s projected that the annual international festival, which has celebrated a different country every year for more than three decades, is responsible for at least a $3.5 million economic impact, according to City Councilwoman Ann Mort, who’s involved in many events and activities around the city. She calls that estimate “conservative.”

MiddFest has a direct economic impact through the 100,000 visitors it attracts to the city. Middletown Economic Development Director Denise Hamet said it also has an image impact

ARE THESE NUMBERS CORRECT? DOES THIS EVENT REALLY GENERATE 3.5 MILLION BUCKS TO THE CITY AND DRAW 100,000 PEOPLE? ANYONE GO ON AN ANNUAL BASIS? IS THIS EVENT THIS CROWDED? WHERE ARE THE 3.5 MILLION MONEY SOURCES GENERATED IN THE THREE DAYS?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2012 at 9:23pm
Vet,

As usual the details are in the cloudy written press release of the journal. 

1.) The Journal does not specifically state how much money MidFest brings to the Middletown Economy anually. If Midfest provides $3.5 millions over a 30 yr period it generates approximately $117,000 per yr. If it is the way the journal states, it can be interpretted as providing $3.5 million a yr, then you have another whole story, which is doubtful in my mind.  As far as the cost to Middletown being $170,000 to $220,000
you can see that the city is losing a considerable amount of money each yr on this festival. However, they will never point this out to you.

2.) Is attendance actually kept?  I would presume this is just as estimate.

PacmanCool
Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2012 at 10:09pm
Only in Middletown do a small group of supporters win out over the city budget and any sense of priorities. The dead horse of Middfest has been beaten for years and should have stopped long ago. Most communities know when to pull the plug on something while here we can't ever let go of anything.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2012 at 10:15pm
Stanky,

In Middletown, the City Leadership just keep adding extension cords waiting for the fire to come.

MidFest was dead long ago and should have been buried.

PacmanCool
wannaknow View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannaknow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2012 at 1:15am
I go to all the festivals except Middletown. None of the other festivals charge admission or go to such great lengths and expense to contain the area. Franklin's fall festival was last weekend. They actually had a fire pit  on the street with hay bales for seating. That was much appreciated b/c it was cold. Why can't Middletown just have a festival w/o all the expense of bringing ppl from some country most people could care less about.
TimLewis View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimLewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 9:16am
Just think we should re-think this whole emphasis on highlighting a foreign country.
Right here in Middletown we have sooo many different ethnic populations represented. Appalaician, African American, Greek, Italian, Irish, Hispanic, German, etc. A truly Diverse populace. Have a FREE festival with music like:  R & B,  Bluegrass, Blues, Reggae, Country, Jazz, etc. With ethnic foods; Soul food, beans and cornbread, real Italian pasta, latin American, etc. We have restraunts right here in Middletucky serving all these. Event should be in September and center it Downtown at Broad and Central. Just my thoughts.
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 10:17am
good ideas Tim.  While Mrs. Ritan['s goal of bringing culture to this steel town is admirable, I don't think it has worked and has become a bit of a joke.  A smattering of people showing up and paying too much $ to do so. 

If you're going to have a festival of culture then do it right, and unfortunately Middfest has not been done "right" for a long time.  It's like a Zombie Festival now.  Walking dead.
TimLewis View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimLewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 2:28pm
Yea I was there Saturday night dressed as a Zombie passing out postcard advertising for the Monster Bash.LOL
I think if it had a more local flair it would be a big success. Some will say that it's not as cultural as having Peru or France but I think celebrating our local Roots is pretty cool.

Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 3:27pm
They should rename it "OKI Fest" and feature different aspects of Ohio, Kentucky, & Indiana history/culture.  Possible topics which can be rotated every few years:  Appalachia, Ohio River, farming, bourbon, etc. 
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2012 at 8:50pm
Personally, I think we should be more imaginative in our festivals and center our themes are a food instead of a culture. 

Some of the ones I've been to are serious such as BBQ Roast pig festivals, Chili Festivals and others are more comical such as Spam festival, Hot Dog festival.  You could have competions with an entrance fee with raffles and prizes.  You have to play to your resident in your town and surrounding communities.  I have lived here for 8 years and have yet to see a MidFest that was a hit.  This yrs attandance and financial impact are not even to be found anywhere.  This town is not an artsy town and does not contain an artsy clientel. 

And for those of you who think I simply speaking out of the my other end, I have been downtown and I have purchased a piece art from a downtown artist.  

I like the OKI festival Idea.  I think that is quite good.

PacmanCool
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic