FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Council Agenda 6-19-2012

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2012 at 8:39am
GG

Have an observation related to your approach on this forum. You started posting out of the blue using the "I'm new to this forum and I would like to ask some questions for informational purposes." You offered some rebuttals and agreed on a few points made by the regulars. Information was offered, specifically by Vivian Moon with actual data and the sources given by Ms. Moon. Acclaro, Mike Presta and Spider contributed. You escalated your approach by challenging practically everything Ms. Moon offered, and advanced your challenge to the argumentative stage. You seem to change your support like a chameleon changes colors, by agreeing with the various forum members, then abruptly take the city's side in the discussion. Quite frankly, after reading your posts, I don't know which direction nor side (yes, we all take a stand on different subjects by taking sides.....(city or MUSA side) you have taken. You have decided on the surface to agree with some of us, with undertones agreeing with the city game plan. Likewise, on one hand, you agree with what is proposed on this site, and the other hand offers the "city can do no wrong" concept. Almost suggests being two-faced. You know the flavor of this forum. It is, for the most part, against the way this city is being run and most are no fans of the people running the city. If you are truly linked to the way they are running this town, you might do yourself a favor and stay in their camp. Most here don't want any part of their game plan nor like the city's direction. You seem to be more in the agitating mode (perhaps a "friend of the city") than actually trying to gain more information as you have professed. Like Spider, I could be wrong on my assessment. JMO
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2012 at 9:50am

Yes sir…I’m having a real problem with this 3,000 number that City Hall keeps using in all these reports and states during City Council Meetings. Below is yet another version of what we have been told.

CAPER REPORT
June 30, 2011
Page 3
”The City has over 3,000 vacant residential and commercial properties in various stages of disrepair that are creating significant blight which in turn are lowering neighborhood home values and creating further vacancies.”

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2012 at 10:40am

Well Spider
Let me look into my crystal ball and give you my prediction on this situation…

LAND BANKING PROGRAM
1. Mr. Adkins and Mr. Fuchs will need a raise because they are taking on extra
   responsibility to administer a new program. Plus other new employees will need
   to be hired.
2. Of the 2 million dollars of this grant you can bet that almost 50% of these funds
    will never leave City Hall (this is what I call FEEDING THE BEAST).
3. So now we have about 1 million dollars left to demo blighted residential property.
    $1,000,000 divided by a cost of $7,000 per demo = 143 properties

LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2012 at 12:40pm
greygoose As for LMAO……… you are an idiot not worthy of my time.....
At least Im not a A$$ kisser as you are.I refuse to let the spineless ones make money off of me any more.They need to stop lieing to the people of Middletucky.They do nothing but Rob peter to pay paul and alot of us are sick and tired of it.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2012 at 12:53pm
It is unfortunate what is said in this forum never sees he light of day at city hall or council. For 20 + years, any reasonably adult would know that city hall has one motivation, and that is to protect itself, its payroll, and benefits. Whenever there is a chance to add anyone, albeit for federal funding, state, or otherwise, they grab it. The Land Bank has nothing to do with tearing down blight, excess capacity. It is simply to secure funds, enhance payroll, build more empires, I wish it otherwise, but this chronic pattern has been on display for too long, to doubt it, to give a second benefit to an alternative rationale. The movie has played for to long, and its the same film, over and over.

I don't mind at all having GG post, and its always fun to have debate. Middletown has a stated goal to have 28,000 in population. It will get there, but it will be slow. By the 11 years it takes to tear down 3,000 properties, Middletown's population in 10 years, will be 43,000. There will be a continuation of the burden of excess inventory, simply compounding a glut today.

City hall is blinded and terribly naive. They think if they can just get rid of the poverty (they created), then upscale families and tenants will move in. But they won't, not because of over-abundance of inventory, but the profound uncertainty of Middletown's future and the image it has today, has had in the past, and the rationale for companies and individuals avoiding Middletown. It is a city in decline, has been for many, many years, and it just doesn't have the leadership, the intelligence, to move forward. It can't be spun any other way. So, they can build nice neighborhoods, add upscale capacity, but it will make no difference, the city will not thrive. Kettering is a city (as is Oakwood that is upscale, but also in decline.  Drive up by the Town and Country shopping center, and see countless For Lease signs. One of the most prominent restaurants, a favorite French of mine, is closed, a victim of the exodus on NCR, just like Middletown fell victim of the exodus of the Atrium, Square D, AK executives, and so many others. Next up is AK RD, and the paper company consolidating down in Harrodsburg, KY.

To GG's five pts.

There will be no uplift on property values by using these funds, and that's based upon the logical business notion, demand drives valuation. If 50% of Middletown was destroyed, you would not have 25% demand to replace the lost 50% inventory. So the impact is zero sum gain. What it does buy, ergo, Land Bank, is additional payroll, people, maybe 4-5 FTE's, but that's all city hall cares about, and of course, the absorption of funds which can be farmed out, to contractors to do work, and what minimal amount of power misguided individuals sense they gain from having funds to move into the hands of the ones they choose worthy.

To state destruction in capacity also is a higher priority than street repair is also misguided, for if the streets and infrastructure are a wasteland, it serves to diminish further, market demand, regardless of the area in Middletown has available. People and companies comprehend the pride of ownership and availability of basic services and quality of life based upon an area to live. Middletown just doesn't compete. A restaurant downtown, a few art shops, and a college are going to provide that? Not when you have an enormous of assets offering the same in far greater quality within 30 minutes. Its the strategy of throwing mud up on the wall, hoping something will stick---that's the city's strategy, and it has failed, many, many times over.

To conclude GG, with the decline in population and the over-capacity about to hit the market as the aging population hanging on awaiting the nursing home will put so much downward pressure, Middletown hasn't even begun to see the downward spiral yet, the city could destroy 7,000 properties, and the sum gain, would continue to be zero, looking even 10 years out.

Throw in the other problems on crime, streets, schools, reputation, and you are on the Titantic, at 90 degrees, ready to go down, and you just missed the last lifeboat.

Its over, and this rubbage about Land Banking will have no effect at all, other than adding a few bodies, and giving more funds, to misappropriate. By then, the ship has sunk, and unless you find some wood to float on, you have 20 minutes before the cold water turns your name, reputation, legacy, and dreams, into R.I.P. 

But look on the bright side. Unlike the Titantic, that went down on its first voyage, at least Middletown had maybe 30 years from 1930-1960 it was decent, before its leadership hit the ice-berg, and its not the first city to commit suicide. Last one out turn the light out please, to show some dignitity for the good 30 years, before Duke shows up and turns it off themselves.         
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2012 at 8:26pm
GG

Have an observation related to your approach on this forum. You started posting out of the blue using the "I'm new to this forum and I would like to ask some questions for informational purposes." You offered some rebuttals and agreed on a few points made by the regulars. Information was offered, specifically by Vivian Moon with actual data and the sources given by Ms. Moon. Acclaro, Mike Presta and Spider contributed. You escalated your approach by challenging practically everything Ms. Moon offered, and advanced your challenge to the argumentative stage. You seem to change your support like a chameleon changes colors, by agreeing with the various forum members, then abruptly take the city's side in the discussion. Quite frankly, after reading your posts, I don't know which direction nor side (yes, we all take a stand on different subjects by taking sides.....(city or MUSA side) you have taken. You have decided on the surface to agree with some of us, with undertones agreeing with the city game plan. Likewise, on one hand, you agree with what is proposed on this site, and the other hand offers the "city can do no wrong" concept. Almost suggests being two-faced. You know the flavor of this forum. It is, for the most part, against the way this city is being run and most are no fans of the people running the city. If you are truly linked to the way they are running this town, you might do yourself a favor and stay in their camp. Most here don't want any part of their game plan nor like the city's direction. You seem to be more in the agitating mode (perhaps a "friend of the city") than actually trying to gain more information as you have professed. Like Spider, I could be wrong on my assessment. JMO

VV,
In all honesty, you are wrong in your assessment. I have no approach to this forum other than to express my opinion. In the early going I lost my way for a few days because I became frustrated over my belief that there was no real, or honest, discussion taking place. I still have that opinion about certain posters but not most. I have accepted the fact that this board is “tilted” toward the negative aspects of our local government. I will continue to state it as I see it. If you are honest with yourself, you would never take the same position on every situation. If nothing else, my positions often bring debate on these boards and that is a good thing. I have no agenda….. just hoping for a better tomorrow.
GG

"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got"
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2012 at 5:02am
goose:
sometimes it bothers me when I hear how "negative" this forum and it's contributors are.
I can see why some think that way, however I really don't agree. I see it as the opposite a lot of the time.

Knowing many here a little better than you might know them, I realize just how much they care about a town in which most have spent their entire lives. If you can't feel their emotional attachment and desire for a "brighter future", then you might step back to understand a more broad viewpoint.

I often see our Council and admin as the divisive/negative force in the community. They have become so
self-centered and secretive, that it is insulting to the overall segments of our population. Watching/listening to them"find" huge sums of $$ for their pet projects to benefit those few preferred enablers who often "want" much more than they "need"---constantly favoring certain areas--bending Council votes and procedures at whim--taking away the public viewing of OUR govt.'s work sessions--it gets old after a long while. And it is not trending towards the better/more inclusive.

Locally we no longer have a govt.FOR our citizens, we have a govt.OVER our citizens. Telling US what we should have or will get, instead of the opposite.

Our reps are all good people individually.
The answer and truth must be somewhere in the middle.
People around here are entitlled to differing opinions without being subject to denigration and downright hatred. IMO locally and nationally, the thinking, tax-paying public has been locked out and ignored, instead to pander to special interests and "friends".
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2012 at 5:26am
Well Said!!!
Thumbs%20Up Clap Clap
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2012 at 6:46am
VV,
In all honesty, you are wrong in your assessment. I have no approach to this forum other than to express my opinion. In the early going I lost my way for a few days because I became frustrated over my belief that there was no real, or honest, discussion taking place. I still have that opinion about certain posters but not most. I have accepted the fact that this board is “tilted” toward the negative aspects of our local government. I will continue to state it as I see it. If you are honest with yourself, you would never take the same position on every situation. If nothing else, my positions often bring debate on these boards and that is a good thing. I have no agenda….. just hoping for a better tomorrow.
GG

FAIR ENOUGH GG. MY APOLOGIES FOR MIS-READING YOUR MESSAGE HERE. I LIKE THE STATEMENT "I HAVE NO AGENDA, JUST HOPING FOR A BETTER TOMORROW" YESSIR, ALL OF US ON THIS SITE ARE. JUST GETTING FRUSTRATED WITH THE PEOPLE PREVENTING THE "BETTER TOMORROW" FROM HAPPENING. IT ANGERS ME TO SEE WHAT THE CURRENT AND PAST LEADERS HAVE DONE TO THIS TOWN. BEST TOWN IN THE WORLD TO LIVE IN 40-50 YEARS AGO. NOW......
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2012 at 9:48am
was born in middletown, lived in middletown for 50 years, moved out going on 6 years now, best move i ever made!! then my son and his wife moved out a year later, then i got my 82 year mother the hell out and moved her in with me, she was born in middletown also, its a damn shame what my old town has become,i got the hell out because of what the city leaders had done and are still doing the same old sh*t!! the the crime was getting to bad for me.. never really have a need or want to return but when i do which is not very often, i feel the need to have a loaded chamber carrying my glock model 23 with 15 round mag.. don't feel or have that need in the city i moved to!!! my son and his wife made me 1st time grandpa june 6 of this month 9 pound perfect baby boy~!!!! son has a nice home here now  so im a happy camper!!! VET just wanna say your a good man, caregiver u are with your wife, im  taking care of my mother she has copd with only 35% of lungs keeping her going, i have help from family, my  niece is a blessing with given her baths and such.. just trying to keep her with me as long as i can..
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2012 at 10:57am

HUD CAPER REPORT
June 30, 2011

Page 6
The City received $747,006 in CDBG funds for PY 2010. Combined with $243,617 of prior year funds and $1,271 in program income, the City had a total of $991,894 in entitlement funding for the 2010 program year. In addition, the City continued tracking its CDBG revolving loan fund in IDIS. $28,724.04 had been drawn down from the RLF in the program year 2010 leaving a total RLF available balance as of April 30, 2010 of $685,472.51. A total of $443,030 of CDBG funds were expended not including the $28,724.04 spent from the revolving loan fund. A remaining balance of $547,593.47 will be carried forward and used in the 2011 program year along with a revolving loan balance of $685,472.51.

We have been told for several years now that we did not have the funding to clean up and demo but a few homes in high crime, high poverty areas of our City.
The above numbers clearly show that we did have the money to take action in these areas. If in fact blighted homes was a priority of the City then why weren’t more of the above funds used ?

Since the 1970’s the CDBG funds have flowed into City Hall. Maybe we need to ask where were all these funds used. With all this funding over the years we shouldn’t have any blighted homes in the 1st and 2nd Wards.

greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2012 at 12:09pm
goose:
sometimes it bothers me when I hear how "negative" this forum and it's contributors are.
I can see why some think that way, however I really don't agree. I see it as the opposite a lot of the time.
Knowing many here a little better than you might know them, I realize just how much they care about a town in which most have spent their entire lives. If you can't feel their emotional attachment and desire for a "brighter future", then you might step back to understand a more broad viewpoint.
I often see our Council and admin as the divisive/negative force in the community. They have become so
self-centered and secretive, that it is insulting to the overall segments of our population. Watching/listening to them"find" huge sums of $$ for their pet projects to benefit those few preferred enablers who often "want" much more than they "need"---constantly favoring certain areas(co-icidentally where many of them live!)--
bending Council votes and procedures at whim--taking away the public viewing of OUR govt.'s work sessions--it gets old after a long while. And it is not trending towards the better/more inclusive.
Locally we no longer have a govt.FOR our citizens, we have a govt.OVER our citizens. Telling US what we should have or will get, instead of the opposite.
Our reps are all good people individually.
The answer and truth must be somewhere in the middle.
People around here are entitlled to differing opinions without being subject to denigration and downright hatred. IMO locally and nationally, the thinking, tax-paying public has been locked out and ignored, instead to pander to special interests and "friends".

Spider,

If you noticed, I stated that I have accepted the negative slant that this board has. I’ve come to realize that most of it stems from good intentions and frustration over our city’s current condition. I believe that the confusion caused by many of my posts is because I am still forming my opinions. At this moment in time, I don’t share the opinion of most on this board concerning our current leadership but that opinion is continually evolving. In the last few weeks, I have come to the conclusion that Mr. Kohler has caused irreparable harm to our community and Mr. Smith doesn’t have enough life experience to make the important decisions that need to be made. With that said, I am still supportive of most of what the current administrators have done to date. To be honest, part of that support is probably just my nature. I am a positive thinker and spent most of my career as a problem solver. Recently, I have made a conscious effort to let others know of the negative opinions that I have so that I don’t always come across as a city cheerleader. I’m truly open to opposing opinions but I don’t pay much attention to baseless rants about spineless ones. As an example, I really support acclaro’s idea to have the city incentivize investment in abandoned homes. Not all abandoned properties are to a point that they can’t be rehabilitated and incentivizing home ownership is a great alternative. I want to stress that my support is for owner occupied investments; this city is way too out of balance with the current number of rentals.

VV,

I am sure that we will have many disagreements in the future but I appreciate that you accept the fact that I don’t have a hidden agenda. In fact, I think that we have the same desired result in mind but disagree on how to get there (at least for now).

GG

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2012 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by bumper bumper wrote:

was born in middletown, lived in middletown for 50 years, moved out going on 6 years now, best move i ever made!! then my son and his wife moved out a year later, then i got my 82 year mother the hell out and moved her in with me, she was born in middletown also, its a damn shame what my old town has become,i got the hell out because of what the city leaders had done and are still doing the same old sh*t!! the the crime was getting to bad for me.. never really have a need or want to return but when i do which is not very often, i feel the need to have a loaded chamber carrying my glock model 23 with 15 round mag.. don't feel or have that need in the city i moved to!!! my son and his wife made me 1st time grandpa june 6 of this month 9 pound perfect baby boy~!!!! son has a nice home here now  so im a happy camper!!! VET just wanna say your a good man, caregiver u are with your wife, im  taking care of my mother she has copd with only 35% of lungs keeping her going, i have help from family, my  <b id="yui_3_3_0_1_1340631435382335">niece is a blessing with given her baths and such.. just trying to keep her with me as long as i can..

Thank you sir for your comments concerning my wife. My son helps me out caregiving while trying to sleep, working evenings and into the morning hours. I take my turn each evening, all weekends and at night. EVERYONE should get a shot at caregiving to experience the "other side of life". It alters your life 180 degrees from normal, never to return to normal. Like caring for your mother, I am trying to keep my wife with me for as long as the MAN will allow me to. One day at a time is the best you can do.

I too, have been here a long time, through the good times and now through the disaster it is now. Sad to see my hometown going down the toilet. Incompetent candidates dominating the scene the last 3 decades causing the destruction of a once thriving city. They should be ashamed of themselves, but then again, you have to have some morals and scruples to feel shame.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2012 at 1:12pm
Goose let me say that Iam sorry for the name calling.Iam frustrated with council as alot of people in this town.As Vet said in his post above,they should be ashamed of themself,but have to have morals and scruples to feel shame.
I was like alot of people that just sit and not say anything but that all changed when they voted on rezoning the land that SUNCHOKE sits on now.Just couldnt see how anyone could do that knowing that there (SUNCHOKE)neighbors was going to be a Nursing Home and a School.I fought against it then and still fighting them today.Only thing they see is dollar signs.I also dont agree with this Lighting plan they have for Main Street.Why should we the taxpayers have to pay for something that a few want?When I first heard of it I was told that the expense was all on the people that lived on Main St.Me,myself and I went and knocked on 10 doors of people that live on Main St.and 8 out of 10 of those dont want them.But I guess since the Mayor and Kohler live down there it doesnt matter what they want.Just shows me once again how our leaders dont listen to the people.Lastly is this landlords have to register there properties.Makes no sense whatsoever when the property is already recorded.Yes there are landlord that live outside of the town,but why should the ones that dont have to pick up the tab for those that do? 
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2012 at 4:34pm
Goose let me say that Iam sorry for the name calling.Iam frustrated with council as alot of people in this town.As Vet said in his post above,they should be ashamed of themself,but have to have morals and scruples to feel shame.
I was like alot of people that just sit and not say anything but that all changed when they voted on rezoning the land that SUNCHOKE sits on now.Just couldnt see how anyone could do that knowing that there (SUNCHOKE)neighbors was going to be a Nursing Home and a School.I fought against it then and still fighting them today.Only thing they see is dollar signs.I also dont agree with this Lighting plan they have for Main Street.Why should we the taxpayers have to pay for something that a few want?When I first heard of it I was told that the expense was all on the people that lived on Main St.Me,myself and I went and knocked on 10 doors of people that live on Main St.and 8 out of 10 of those dont want them.But I guess since the Mayor and Kohler live down there it doesnt matter what they want.Just shows me once again how our leaders dont listen to the people.Lastly is this landlords have to register there properties.Makes no sense whatsoever when the property is already recorded.Yes there are landlord that live outside of the town,but why should the ones that dont have to pick up the tab for those that do?

LMAO,

You brought up three different topics. I have mixed emotions concerning the Suncoke project. I agree with acclaro’s statement that the city should do everything in its power to leverage AK’s presence in Middletown to bring in additional, related, businesses. It’s easy for me to say that when I am not directly affected by its presence…… that’s a tough call. I agree with you completely concerning the street light issue on Main Street. I have several dozen rental units with the vast majority being in Middletown. When I heard about the proposed landlord registration legislation, I directly asked Mr. Adkins why he felt this legislation was needed. He told me that the city had a very difficult time with code enforcement with out of town landlords and out of town banks. He anticipated “constitutional” issues if he singled out “out of town landlords”, thus the reasoning behind charging all of us. I’ve not been too concerned lately because I have “heard” that the committee that was being formed contained a couple of the more outspoken landlords against this legislation. With their involvement, I can’t imagine the legislation being punitive and, as a citizen, I am in favor of stricter code enforcement.

GG

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2012 at 7:47pm
GG, I did not mean to continue the discussion about the landlord scenario for many reasons, not the least of which I do not own, nor would have any intention of owning, rental property in Middletown, Ohio.

However, for simple clarity, I wanted to extend the following observation/ point. Mr. Adkins would not directly have any concern about enforcement, on constitutional grounds. The grounds may be perceived discriminatory, which indirectly has a constitutional basis on federal guidelines, although it would be a very high test and burden for a party to demonstrate, associated with practices that were directed towards out of city/ out of county land-lords.

However, it is nonsensical to use as a basis of support, compliance and delivery of service difficult to establish. Any business in Ohio, or any state in the nation, has listed, an agent of record for that state for that business, with a mailing address, not a PO Box. All one would do is pull up the electronic record, delivery to the address listed for the agent, and its done in compliance with the federal and state law. Its that simple. Therefore, I just don't buy into the rationale "delivery of notice" impedes enforcement.

The city surely has no problem tracking down individuals they deem behind on fines, so the city KNOWS how to get mail and notices to all living in rental property, owning a property, or owning multiple commercial  properties. It is not a reasoned argument to make that to be the basis for Mr. Adkins actions. 

As stated, as I don't own rental property and never would have an interest in doing so, I won't speculate what the motives are for the registration, but I don't buy the argument it is because out of town landlords make it difficult to make contact. That's ridiculous, as they have to have a listed agent for each business as required by law. 

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2012 at 1:49pm
Acclaro,

I don’t doubt for a minute that collecting from the “whole” makes taking the pill a little more palatable, but there are definitely additional hurdles that the city incurs when trying to enforce code compliance with out of town landlords. Your explanation makes sense on the surface but I believe that the process is a little more complicated. I only state that because this problem is not unique to Middletown, but is well documented in many other cities. It may be nothing more than the added expense of serving notice when the landlord is located outside of the city limits.

Additionally, I don’t profess to know if there are truly constitutional issues with singling out a particular class of landlord, I’m just relaying that explanation that I was given. It will be interesting to see what the “committee” comes up with.

GG
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2012 at 8:43pm
Good point GG. I obviously do not own rental property, and there may be more beneath the surface that I am aware. As you referenced, its the landlords that will get in line with this, or punch enough wholes in the process to bring it a quick demise before it gets launched. I really don't have the complete picture what is the motivation behind it. I personally have always found Mr. Adkins quite balanced when I had the occasion to engage him when he was prosecutor, which was not often, but he was always quite pleasant  and amiable.

Its up to the landlords and Mr. Adkins to work this one out. I'm an innocent by-stander on this one.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2012 at 10:04pm
Its simple as this,the spineless ones has robed peter enough where he is broke so now they have to come after us landlords to try to make some of the money up.As I said from the beginning,I refuse to give them anymore.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic